Comforting casual players about the update

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Gaiyeerishima Cat.1082

Gaiyeerishima Cat.1082

First of all, I would like to make a note about this thread:

This is not meant for arguments, it is a thread making use of my speculation and ideas to comfort casual players about the upcoming update. If you do not agree, then please move to another thread which has a more debate like focus

All right, here we go. I have heard a lot of concerns from casual players about how they like being able to do things such as running dungeons without worrying too much about things like elitist gear checks and profession requirements. Specifically, people seem to be worried about ascended armor. I would like to take a quick second to make a point about the new armor: the purpose of this armor is not to be a ton better than exotics, but to provide protection from the new endgame condition “agony”. I think what anet is trying to do here is make the higher level gear specifically useful for the new end game dungeons rather than make it a game changer in things like the old dungeons and WvW. What this means, in my eyes, is that I am not going to care if people have ascended gear when I run CoF or AC or even Arah. I do all those dungeons with people who have exotics or rares right now, so that means higher level gear won’t be essential to doing those dungeons. The topic gets a bit more sticky with WvW, but I won’t get into that except to say that people already do it with all ranges of gear. Basically, the point is that the new gear is meant for the higher difficulty settings of the new dungeon, a place where “hardcore” players can enjoy themselves. I think that is why they are adding the difficulty levels, so that more casual players can still enjoy the new content. So, basically I wanted to make this thread because I hear a lot of people getting upset about this update before it is even out. I just want to encourage those people to wait and see what happens before coming to the conclusion that it will ruin their casual gameplay.

Posted by: Valtameri.2075

Valtameri.2075

No one should care if you got ascended gear or not if you are running old dungeons. Or even the new one if you are playing the earlier levels, not the most deepest ones where agony actually starts to show itself.

But i doubt those who whined over this, will listen.

Posted by: Slic.2406

Slic.2406

Yeah, umm. Did you get the memo where the primary stat diff btwn an exo and a corresponding ascended piece is about 40%? 2ndary stats 8-10%+?

Those state aren’t for that dungeon only, those stats will be used EVERYWHERE, including WvW (pvp). This is a big problem, especialy to wvw-ers that take a break and then come back to see that their max gear is no longer ‘max’.

It’s also a matter of trust. Anet has repeatedly assured us in the past that there would be NO VERTICAL PROGRESSION. Where is that promise now? Maybe that former Nexon manager in charge of most financial things in anet is the backdoor for Nexon (who has 15%+ shares in NCSoft, btw)?

Posted by: greyblue.4962

greyblue.4962

To be fair, most of the people who WvW in green / yellow gear are called “walking loot” :P

Whether that’s because they have less game experience or worse stats is up in the air though.

Posted by: Loumy.7841

Loumy.7841

The topic gets a bit more sticky with WvW, but I won’t get into that except to say that people already do it with all ranges of gear. Basically, the point is that the new gear is meant for the higher difficulty settings of the new dungeon, a place where “hardcore” players can enjoy themselves.

Well if this is the case then the new ascended armor with better stats should just be unusable in WvW. I know you’re saying it’s complicated when you include WvW into the discussion, but how can you not?

Posted by: siepher.9408

siepher.9408

To be fair, most of the people who WvW in green / yellow gear are called “walking loot” :P

Whether that’s because they have less game experience or worse stats is up in the air though.

probably a bit of both, i confess i love finding these guys. easy badges for my legendary XD.

that being said while i am hesitant about the update, I am trying to be optimistic about it.

Posted by: Delolith.9645

Delolith.9645

Yeah, umm. Did you get the memo where the primary stat diff btwn an exo and a corresponding ascended piece is about 40%? 2ndary stats 8-10%+?

Those state aren’t for that dungeon only, those stats will be used EVERYWHERE, including WvW (pvp). This is a big problem, especialy to wvw-ers that take a break and then come back to see that their max gear is no longer ‘max’.

It’s also a matter of trust. Anet has repeatedly assured us in the past that there would be NO VERTICAL PROGRESSION. Where is that promise now? Maybe that former Nexon manager in charge of most financial things in anet is the backdoor for Nexon (who has 15%+ shares in NCSoft, btw)?

Stop taking drugs seriously. The difference is beteen 4-7% total.

Posted by: Sdric.8526

Sdric.8526

I dont worry about dungeons.
I worry about WvW.
As an sPvP player I’m forced to continuously grind PvE-equip in order to stay competitive in WvW.

Unless I’m able to gain Ascended gear through honor I’ll most likely play much less GW2 from now on.
I sure won’t buy another bag slot for my WvW characters…

sPvPers against gear-grind.
Ascended Gear-progression disables WvW for us.
Stop it now!

Slic.2406

Yakkington’s ring – 10% MF. Magic find ring with MF crystal in it – 7% MF. 42% increase (3/7). This will probably be the same for berserker gear (+150% crit dmg in WvW? LOL???) and for carrion/rabid/etc gear, once all the ascended peices are released. And we aren’t even talking about the next tier (legendaries) yet!

40% increase of primary stats is ridiculous, and even 4-7% is already a noticeable edge. Say hello to Gearscore and gated content. And to WvW-ers such as myself being forced to grind PvE for things other than looks. Sorry, this is the WRONG direction for anet to take. And if you don’t believe me about Nexon (the one responsible for Maple Story’s fate, among other things), go ahead and do your own research. They’re insinuated into anet’s decision making processes, probably as much as NCSoft itself is.

(edited by Slic.2406)

Posted by: Delolith.9645

Delolith.9645

Yakkington’s ring – 10% MF. Magic find ring with MF crystal in it – 7% MF. 42% increase (3/7). This will probably be the same for berserker gear (150% crit dmg in WvW? LOL???) and for carrion/rabid/etc gear, once all the ascended peices are released. And we aren’t even talking about the next tier (legendaries) yet!

40% increase of primary stats is ridiculous, and even 4-7% is already a noticeable edge. Say hello to Gearscore and gated content. And to WvW-ers such as myself being forced to grind PvE for things other than looks. Sorry, this is the WRONG direction for anet to take. And if you don’t believe me about Nexon (the one responsible for Maple Story’s fate, among other things), go ahead and do your own research. They’re insinuated into anet’s decision making processes, probably as much as NCSoft itself is.

If you consider MF as the primary stat then yes. I seriously doubt this will happen to berseker gear though. I expect a 1% increase in Crit damage…not a 4% from a single piece. And you know what….numbers have the flexibility to be able to get rebalanced if they are off.

Slic.2406

Yakkington’s ring – 10% MF. Magic find ring with MF crystal in it – 7% MF. 42% increase (3/7). This will probably be the same for berserker gear (150% crit dmg in WvW? LOL???) and for carrion/rabid/etc gear, once all the ascended peices are released. And we aren’t even talking about the next tier (legendaries) yet!

If you consider MF as the primary stat then yes. I seriously doubt this will happen to berseker gear though. I expect a 1% increase in Crit damage…not a 4% from a single piece. And you know what….numbers have the flexibility to be able to get rebalanced if they are off.

You don’t get it. With all the people against this in-game and on forums, they’d have already reverted ascended stats back to exotic. They’re not. This is intentional. Do you really trust them so much, that you’re going to think ‘oh, they increased the stats, but the increase must be a bug’? Please, wake up and read up on Nexon and NCSoft and what’s been happening on their wall street doings.

Look. I will be trying this patch, and I will see the stats difference in-game. But most players, who have spent everything on getting exotics for like 5-8 alts are now slapped in the face. A lot of players don’t want to keep spending time/effort on better stats/gear, they don’t want it to be mandatory, if they want to have maximum effectiveness. I can tell you right now the agony mechanic for Mursaat and lightbringer titles for DOA weren’t something people enjoyed in GW1.

My friends list is now empty half the time I’m online, this is absurd.

Posted by: Hunterdan.4921

Hunterdan.4921

Worry not good sir. People are just over reacting.

Slic.2406

Worry not good sir. People are just over reacting.

No, most my friends that h\got 5+ 80 alts kitted in 80 exos have quit for good (or until exos are highest stat again, if anet wakes the f up), after hearing this patch. Pretty much 99%+ of the pvp-ers have quit beforehand, too. This is a bad day to be a pvp-er, or to be someone who doesn’t want gear grind/treadmill. And let’s face it, almost all the refugees from gear grind MMOs came here, and now they’re being thrown out? This won’t go well.

Posted by: LordGustoff.3752

LordGustoff.3752

Isn’t there WvW gear that you can get by trading badges of honor? The Simple solution would be to just increase the stats of the WvW Invader’s gear (not release a new set, just increase the stats) to match that of Ascended Armor. That way people who tend to WvW only can remain on par with those coming from PvE.

As for the gear treadmill: This point seems completely moot. Consider this quote from the Lindsey Murdock blog post:
“You’ll also see more Legendary items in the future… Legendary items were always intended to be on par with other “best-in-slot” items. So fear not, all existing Legendary weapons, which are currently on par with Exotics, will be upgraded to be on par with Ascended weapons at the same time that we add Ascended weapons to the game. Thus Legendaries will remain “best-in-slot” items.”

I take this, hopefully to mean, that we will be getting legendary rarity armor, and if Anet takes the same approach to legendary armor as with weapons, once you get the Legendary armor you wont have to worry about vertical progression – it’ll be built into your items. So you’ll have the Exotic to Ascended to Legendary, where Legendary is the end all be all and Ascended is just a step on the way there, if you choose to take it

If you did what they did, you would have what they have.
You have what you have because you do what you do.

(edited by LordGustoff.3752)