Coming back after few years

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: HaTTori.1493

HaTTori.1493

Hi,

I haven’t played GW2 in years. I’ve no idea how it’s changed after the first expansion let alone the coming one.

More importantly, I had GW2 pre-ordered (no normally paid game). Now the game is “Free to play” variant.

Can you guys tell me about:
1) how would it be coming back to GW2 now, and maybe leveling a new character
2) What will be my status in accordance to my paid version of the game, and what will be hidden away behind a pay wall? What can one buy for real money and what needs to be bought for real money now?

Cheers!
HaTTori

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

sigh OK, well for starters if you’ve already paid for there is not real difference in what you once experienced. All the info on what F2P players don’t get is up on the site. In short, they get access to the core game, 2 character slots, and have some decent restrictions on both chat and tp access and they don’t get daily log in rewards. Theres some other stuff but i can’t think of it off the top of my head, but if you really want to get a feel for what free players get I’d suggest making a free account and experiencing it if thats what you really want to do.

As for you and what you have access to:
If you just bought the core game then you only have access to the core game and new core game masteries.
If you bought HoT then you have access to the core game and all the HoT content including the new class (Revenent) and you can learn the new masteries from HoT like gliding, etc. Obviously any rewards that are hot based as well as collections are also available to you.
If you logged in when the LWS was happening then you will have access to those. If not, you will have to purchase them from the gemstore to unlock and play them for their content. Fair warning, there are things in the most recent LWS that rely upon HoT masteries.
Obviously if you want PoF related things you’ll have to buy PoF.
You can buy PoF and HoT as a discounted bundle.
LWS does not come included with that bundle.

Did that answer your question?

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

HaTTori.1493

Yea I understand that I have to pay extra for expansions, that goes without saying. I am talking more equipment wise. Weapons/Armors/Skins.

Example: how about the armor sets? Are the the nice armors all behind paywall, and only the not-so-pretty. Like, those what were free back in the day are now paid or…?

(edited by HaTTori.1493)

Posted by: octagon.6504

octagon.6504

Welcome back!!!

Posted by: Sarie.1630

Sarie.1630

Example: how about the armor sets? Are the the nice armors all behind paywall, and only the not-so-pretty. Like, those what were free back in the day are now paid or…?

What’s nice is really rather subjective.

If what you want is an outfit, then you (generally) need to buy them with Gems.
If what you want is a specific skin from a Living World episode (or HoT) then, of course, you need to unlock that content.

Nothing that was obtainable with in-game currency in the core game is now hidden behind a paywall, I’m not sure why any company would do that.

My advice? If you’re into the fashion aspects of this game then log in, go to the account wardrobe, preview stuff. Check to see if the stuff you like is available in-game for your account right now with no paywall.

(edited by Sarie.1630)

HaTTori.1493

thanks guys!

Posted by: Nimrod.1726

Nimrod.1726

I too have come back after a long hiatus. There are a few things different, but it seems all of the core stuff is still there, just a bit different in getting to it. I haven’t found the need to buy anything from the gem store yet, except for the living world content. It isn’t like a typical F2P game where the best character equipment costs real money. I have a level 19 warrior now and I have been enjoying him quite a bit. I immediately bought HoT and later preordered PoF. If you ask me, GW2 has only improved over time, it did not stagnate like some other games do.