Coming back to GW2

Coming back to GW2

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: HogWash.3928

HogWash.3928

Been Gone for a while and thinking of coming back.
Hows the game these days?
How is the state of the necro?

Coming back to GW2

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

You can find all the patch notes here: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/info/news

and all the game release information here: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/releases/

as well as the news here: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/

Welcome back! =)

Coming back to GW2

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

I came back a week or so ago..mainly just doing dallies, a few dragon chests, maybe a fractal or two, a dungeon run or two..nothing too crazy.

Not sure when you left, the game is pretty much the same as when I left in early march. As far as I know, Necro hasnt changed much. I didnt think it needed changing. I run my vampire build on it and I love it. I do fine in dungeons and fractals with it.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Coming back to GW2

Posted by: Kitsyn.6139

Kitsyn.6139

I dunno. I’m trying to come back and all I get is “Connection error(s) detected, retrying” Never had this problem before.

Coming back to GW2

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

@Kitsyn

You might try perusing the Tech Support forum, and/or submitting a ticket to Customer Support. There is a sticky at the top of the page there that will give all the information you need. Good luck. =)

Coming back to GW2

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

Coming back to GW2

Posted by: Chris.7653

Chris.7653

I just came back myself…I know I will be flamed for this but it is my honest opinion…

Stay away man, right now it isn’t worth the hard drive space…The world was empty (Even had my friends on the populated servers look too) they put in a grind link system and it just seems like a mess…

All the problems I and many others complained about are still there for the most part…

ok whiteknights you can flame me now…

Coming back to GW2

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

I just came back myself…I know I will be flamed for this but it is my honest opinion…

Stay away man, right now it isn’t worth the hard drive space…The world was empty (Even had my friends on the populated servers look too) they put in a grind link system and it just seems like a mess…

All the problems I and many others complained about are still there for the most part…

grind link system?

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.

Coming back to GW2

Posted by: Sartori.6758

Sartori.6758

I’ve been thinking about coming back as well but all the reading I’ve been doing about the holy trinity (guardian/warrior/mesmer) has me really discouraged. I have a necro that I leveled to 80 soon after launch and it seems that it’s still the black sheep (along with the ranger).

Coming back to GW2

Posted by: Ghedoriah.4290

Ghedoriah.4290

Warriors, Guardians and Mesmers, as a combination, are probably slightly overpowered in PvE, but I’d say that Necros are perfectly viable. With their rework, even Engies seem sound. Although, as you say, Rangers are still a little bit questionable (though much improved with the pet buffs).

Sea of Sorrows

Coming back to GW2

Posted by: Chris.7653

Chris.7653

grind link system?

typo…“grind like” is what I meant.

Coming back to GW2

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

grind link system?

typo…“grind like” is what I meant.

So the “white knights” are wrong and you’re right. Because your friends looked on busier servers.

First of all, right now all the action and I mean all the action is on South Sun. So if you didn’t look there since the event started, well, then you’re missing where the people are.

Because you know…new content, people go to check it out.

Do you have any idea of how many Southsun overflow servers there are?

Secondly, you dont’ have to be a white knight to see there are some highly populated servers out there. If you can’t find them you’re not looking. But again, right after a patch, go to the new content, because that’s what everyone is checking out.

Coming back to GW2

Posted by: AlietteFaye.7316

AlietteFaye.7316

So the “white knights” are wrong and you’re right. Because your friends looked on busier servers.

First of all, right now all the action and I mean all the action is on South Sun. So if you didn’t look there since the event started, well, then you’re missing where the people are.

Secondly, you dont’ have to be a white knight to see there are some highly populated servers out there. If you can’t find them you’re not looking. But again, right after a patch, go to the new content, because that’s what everyone is checking out.

It’s kind of cruddy that all the action is on Southsun, though. His complaint is still valid that there weren’t people out in the world to do DE’s with and that zones look and feel completely barren.

Also, his complaints of the grind-like system and issues that have been around since launch (and even before then)are still valid.

twitch.tv/aliettefaye

Coming back to GW2

Vayne.8563

It’s kind of cruddy that all the action is on Southsun, though. His complaint is still valid that there weren’t people out in the world to do DE’s with and that zones look and feel completely barren.

Also, his complaints of the grind-like system and issues that have been around since launch (and even before then)are still valid.

Well, yes and no. It’s like any MMO. You put in a new dungeon in an MMO and everyone will be hanging around that dungeon, because it’s new. Everyone wants to do new content.

This is human nature. I used to be involved in the publishing industry and most books sell 90% of all the copies they’ll ever sell during the first three months after release. It’s just the way people are. They want to see the new stuff.

In a week or two, they’ll have seen the new stuff and slowly drift back to the rest of the world. It’s already happening slowly.

So is it really a legit complaint? They only way to stop it is to not release new stuff at all.

Coming back to GW2

AlietteFaye.7316

Well, yes and no. It’s like any MMO. You put in a new dungeon in an MMO and everyone will be hanging around that dungeon, because it’s new. Everyone wants to do new content.

This is human nature. I used to be involved in the publishing industry and most books sell 90% of all the copies they’ll ever sell during the first three months after release. It’s just the way people are. They want to see the new stuff.

In a week or two, they’ll have seen the new stuff and slowly drift back to the rest of the world. It’s already happening slowly.

So is it really a legit complaint? They only way to stop it is to not release new stuff at all.

It’s still a bad feeling for a new or returning player to want to come back and do zones, and it being empty like that. There are no incentives for players to go out and do DEs in zones, aside from daily chest rewards from world bosses. Why hasn’t ANet done something about that?

I see what you’re saying. Yes, players are always going to be pushed towards the new content. But he’s not wrong at all. Even after players are done with the new content, it’s not like they actually go and run around the world and do DEs for fun. Because most of them aren’t fun, and most of them have terrible rewards. Dailies was an attempt at getting people to go back into zones, but I can say it failed for a lot of servers.

So yes, I think it is a real and legitimate complaint.

twitch.tv/aliettefaye

Coming back to GW2

Vayne.8563

It’s still a bad feeling for a new or returning player to want to come back and do zones, and it being empty like that. There are no incentives for players to go out and do DEs in zones, aside from daily chest rewards from world bosses. Why hasn’t ANet done something about that?

I see what you’re saying. Yes, players are always going to be pushed towards the new content. But he’s not wrong at all. Even after players are done with the new content, it’s not like they actually go and run around the world and do DEs for fun. Because most of them aren’t fun, and most of them have terrible rewards. Dailies was an attempt at getting people to go back into zones, but I can say it failed for a lot of servers.

New players coming back, even low level ones, can go see this content too. Particularly because the content won’t be here in another month, it’s a good idea for them to do it. They’ll level faster, farm more decent stuff, and in general be rewarded better for going to Southsun than they would in any other area of the game.

If you consider rewarding returning players by offering them a way to catch up fast bad planning, I guess I have nothing else to say on the topic.

Coming back to GW2

AlietteFaye.7316

New players coming back, even low level ones, can go see this content too. Particularly because the content won’t be here in another month, it’s a good idea for them to do it. They’ll level faster, farm more decent stuff, and in general be rewarded better for going to Southsun than they would in any other area of the game.

If you consider rewarding returning players by offering them a way to catch up fast bad planning, I guess I have nothing else to say on the topic.

New players, for the majority, won’t even know what is going on with Southsun Cove. It’s not explained too well in the game, and new players have a lot to grasp and do when they first start out.

Also, that’s still not a reason for ANet to have not worked on making going back to the zones appealing.

twitch.tv/aliettefaye

Coming back to GW2

Vayne.8563

New players, for the majority, won’t even know what is going on with Southsun Cove. It’s not explained too well in the game, and new players have a lot to grasp and do when they first start out.

Also, that’s still not a reason for ANet to have not worked on making going back to the zones appealing.

But Anet HAS worked on making going back to zones appealing. They’ve increased, for example, your chances in lower level zones of getting a yellow drop. They’ve improved rewards in the reward chests for all the world events, most of which happen in lower level zones, they’ve nerfed Orr so people can’t sit around and farm it constantly (in fact you can see precisely how many threads there are complaining about this)….just because it’s not working 100% doesn’t mean they’ve done nothing.

Hell the last living story took place in Wayfarer foothills and the early charr zones and those zones were packed.

This month the story is on Southsun and they’re allowing people to go there by leveling them up.

Saying Anet has done nothing is simply incorrect.

Coming back to GW2

AlietteFaye.7316

But Anet HAS worked on making going back to zones appealing. They’ve increased, for example, your chances in lower level zones of getting a yellow drop. They’ve improved rewards in the reward chests for all the world events, most of which happen in lower level zones, they’ve nerfed Orr so people can’t sit around and farm it constantly (in fact you can see precisely how many threads there are complaining about this)….just because it’s not working 100% doesn’t mean they’ve done nothing.

Hell the last living story took place in Wayfarer foothills and the early charr zones and those zones were packed.

This month the story is on Southsun and they’re allowing people to go there by leveling them up.

Doing things like the Living Story does not make going back to zones more appealing for more than a few minutes while you do the new Living Story content. I’m talking about making every zone more appealing for players to go back to at any given time. Not just the ones with Living Story currently in them, or with dull world bosses in them. People going to the world bosses get their chest and go. They don’t explore the zone, they don’t do anything there. You just get your daily chest and leave. That’s not incentive for a player to re-explore the zone, that’s just getting another thing off the checklist. Nerfing Orr has left Orr completely empty, and that didn’t help anything. That’s a terrible example.

The extra chance at yellows is something that hardly ever comes to fruition, so it is not enticing. Are you honestly arguing that there is plenty of reason for players to go back and do old DEs and re-explore the world that they’ve seen and done already? Because there’s nobody that does it.

twitch.tv/aliettefaye

Coming back to GW2

Vayne.8563

Doing things like the Living Story does not make going back to zones more appealing for more than a few minutes while you do the new Living Story content. I’m talking about making every zone more appealing for players to go back to at any given time. Not just the ones with Living Story currently in them, or with dull world bosses in them. People going to the world bosses get their chest and go. They don’t explore the zone, they don’t do anything there. You just get your daily chest and leave. That’s not incentive for a player to re-explore the zone, that’s just getting another thing off the checklist. Nerfing Orr has left Orr completely empty, and that didn’t help anything. That’s a terrible example.

The extra chance at yellows is something that hardly ever comes to fruition, so it is not enticing. Are you honestly arguing that there is plenty of reason for players to go back and do old DEs and re-explore the world that they’ve seen and done already? Because there’s nobody that does it.

And how do you propose to make EVERY zone more appealing. In fact, I’ll go one better. If Anet makes every zone more appealing all at the same time, you’ll have no one to play with in the world.

The problem is, the world is big. It really is. It’s bigger than most MMOs and all new MMOs. It’s a big, big world. So if you make it so everyone can go everywhere, then you’ll run into the problem of people not being able to find each other, because the population would be spread too thin.

It’s a big problem, and Anet isn’t the only MMO to suffer from it. Even World of Warcraft has dead zones on many servers, and they have 8.3 million active subscriptions.

You have people divided by server, and then divided by zone. People who do SPvP and WvW dont’ count toward the population of the world as a whole. People doing dungeons and fractals they dont’ count either. People in Lion’s Arch crafting or hanging out, they aren’t out in the zones. So the rest of the people, those left, can’t all go anywhere they want. Because if they did, they’d be too spread out and there wouldn’t be enough people.

The ONLY way MMOs get people together in large numbers is to A) force them into the same few zones (which is why so much of th world seems dead in so many MMOs) or Give them stuff to do in certain areas where they’ll hopefully group.

I’m positive that making everything in every zone more rewarding so anyone can go anywhere won’t make the problem much better, but it could make it a whole lot worse.

Coming back to GW2

AlietteFaye.7316

Vayne: And how do you propose to make EVERY zone more appealing. In fact, I’ll go one better. If Anet makes every zone more appealing all at the same time, you’ll have no one to play with in the world.

I’m sorry, I’m the designer now? I can’t give opinions on how good or bad a system is after my own testing and gameplay if I’m not a designer? Look, I do have ideas for it. But I’m not going to go in-depth on that, because that doesn’t make my argument any more or less valid.

[i]Vayne: The problem is, the world is big. It really is. It’s bigger than most MMOs and all new MMOs. It’s a big, big world. So if you make it so everyone can go everywhere, then you’ll run into the problem of people not being able to find each other, because the population would be spread too thin.

It’s a big problem, and Anet isn’t the only MMO to suffer from it. Even World of Warcraft has dead zones on many servers, and they have 8.3 million active subscriptions.

You have people divided by server, and then divided by zone. People who do SPvP and WvW dont’ count toward the population of the world as a whole. People doing dungeons and fractals they dont’ count either. People in Lion’s Arch crafting or hanging out, they aren’t out in the zones. So the rest of the people, those left, can’t all go anywhere they want. Because if they did, they’d be too spread out and there wouldn’t be enough people.[/i]

So you would rather have people stay only wanting to do WvW, SPvP, sitting in Lion’s Arch, or only zoning out to go do dungeons, rather than even attempt to put them back into the open world? Because that is what ArenaNet wants. Players to go back out into the zones and explore them again. The attempt with the dailies was a pretty bad one, but it proves that it is what they want. There would definitely be enough people. I think you underestimate how many people actually bought GW2 and just quit because they had nothing to do in the game.

Vayne: The ONLY way MMOs get people together in large numbers is to A) force them into the same few zones (which is why so much of th world seems dead in so many MMOs) or Give them stuff to do in certain areas where they’ll hopefully group.

This is exactly what I am suggesting. Give players something to do, something to work towards in the zones, and they’ll wander into each other. Exactly like it was at launch when everybody was running into each other. World Bosses work out just fine, even though they’re in several zones. They have rewards that players want, and that’s why people do them.

Vayne: I’m positive that making everything in every zone more rewarding so anyone can go anywhere won’t make the problem much better, but it could make it a whole lot worse.

How could it make it worse? A majority of the zones are empty in a lot of servers, so if they remained empty, it wouldn’t be worse. It would be the same. But honestly, they wouldn’t be empty if they gave players a reason to go there.

twitch.tv/aliettefaye

(edited by AlietteFaye.7316)

Coming back to GW2

Posted by: killcannon.2576

killcannon.2576

This is not like any other mmo. This game is focused on Journey, not end game. 90% of all content is in the leveling process. There is no endgame progression, and first impressions in the leveling zones make all the difference in order to keep a stable population. There are no reasons in this game to forgive a leveling process without players, in most other MMO’s you have end game to look forward to if you didn’t have the players to play with as you level. Here you have 2 hours of content a month, and farming. Large guilds can offer some content as well, but this leaves out every single player who doesn’t want to be in a large guild (exactly what raids do in other mmo’s)

The same arguments that may fly in other MMO’s don’t work here, because there is no end game. There is no excuse or prize waiting at the end. There just is, what is, and that’s all.

Coming back to GW2

Vayne.8563

Vayne: And how do you propose to make EVERY zone more appealing. In fact, I’ll go one better. If Anet makes every zone more appealing all at the same time, you’ll have no one to play with in the world.

I’m sorry, I’m the designer now? I can’t give opinions on how good or bad a system is after my own testing and gameplay if I’m not a designer? Look, I do have ideas for it. But I’m not going to go in-depth on that, because that doesn’t make my argument any more or less valid.

[i]Vayne: The problem is, the world is big. It really is. It’s bigger than most MMOs and all new MMOs. It’s a big, big world. So if you make it so everyone can go everywhere, then you’ll run into the problem of people not being able to find each other, because the population would be spread too thin.

You have people divided by server, and then divided by zone. People who do SPvP and WvW dont’ count toward the population of the world as a whole. People doing dungeons and fractals they dont’ count either. People in Lion’s Arch crafting or hanging out, they aren’t out in the zones. So the rest of the people, those left, can’t all go anywhere they want. Because if they did, they’d be too spread out and there wouldn’t be enough people.[/i]

So you would rather have people stay only wanting to do WvW, SPvP, sitting in Lion’s Arch, or only zoning out to go do dungeons, rather than even attempt to put them back into the open world? Because that is what ArenaNet wants. Players to go back out into the zones and explore them again. The attempt with the dailies was a pretty bad one, but it proves that it is what they want. There would definitely be enough people. I think you underestimate how many people actually bought GW2 and just quit because they had nothing to do in the game.

Vayne: The ONLY way MMOs get people together in large numbers is to A) force them into the same few zones (which is why so much of th world seems dead in so many MMOs) or Give them stuff to do in certain areas where they’ll hopefully group.

This is exactly what I am suggesting. Give players something to do, something to work towards in the zones, and they’ll wander into each other. Exactly like it was at launch when everybody was running into each other. World Bosses work out just fine, even though they’re in several zones. They have rewards that players want, and that’s why people do them.

Vayne: I’m positive that making everything in every zone more rewarding so anyone can go anywhere won’t make the problem much better, but it could make it a whole lot worse.

How could it make it worse? A majority of the zones are empty in a lot of servers, so if they remained empty, it wouldn’t be worse. It would be the same. But honestly, they wouldn’t be empty if they gave players a reason to go there.

It could make it worse by having not enough people in any zone and no crowds of people anywhere. Right now, there are places you can go where there will be people. If everything was equally rewarding the population with either spread to thin to be of help or people would just make their own gathering places, because it’s what people do.

Why did people meet at Kamadan in Guild Wars 1 to sell their stuff instead of any other outpost?

Because people gather. It’s what we do. We’re a social animal. Making the entire world equally rewarding will just create new hot spots and you’d have the same problem. And if it didn’t they’re would be enough people that thinly spread to make a difference.

Coming back to GW2

Vayne.8563

This is not like any other mmo. This game is focused on Journey, not end game. 90% of all content is in the leveling process. There is no endgame progression, and first impressions in the leveling zones make all the difference in order to keep a stable population. There are no reasons in this game to forgive a leveling process without players, in most other MMO’s you have end game to look forward to if you didn’t have the players to play with as you level. Here you have 2 hours of content a month, and farming. Large guilds can offer some content as well, but this leaves out every single player who doesn’t want to be in a large guild (exactly what raids do in other mmo’s)

The same arguments that may fly in other MMO’s don’t work here, because there is no end game. There is no excuse or prize waiting at the end. There just is, what is, and that’s all.

I disagree with this statement. You can argue this is a different MMO, but human nature is still the same, even if this were a martian designed MMO and completely different. As long as you put humans together somewhere, they’re going to gather. Even if it makes no sense for them to gather there.

People gravitate to the most populated servers, and then then most populated towns on those servers. We’re social animals. There are individual exceptions but in every MMO, people find a place to gather. Even in Guild Wars 1 there were gathering points. I mean not a whole lot of people gathered at Yak’s Bend or Sardelic Sanitarium. They were always empty. Why? Because everyone was in LA or Kamadan.

KC was never a big gathering place, but Shing Jea island was? Why? No idea. But it’s what humans do. Anet can’t control that.

I’m pretty sure if they make every zone universally rewarding, people would still gather in hubs. And I’m also pretty sure if they did this and people didn’t gather, the population would be spread way too thin to make a difference.

Coming back to GW2

Posted by: serialkicker.5274

serialkicker.5274

I disagree with this statement. You can argue this is a different MMO, but human nature is still the same, even if this were a martian designed MMO and completely different. As long as you put humans together somewhere, they’re going to gather. Even if it makes no sense for them to gather there.

People gravitate to the most populated servers, and then then most populated towns on those servers. We’re social animals. There are individual exceptions but in every MMO, people find a place to gather. Even in Guild Wars 1 there were gathering points. I mean not a whole lot of people gathered at Yak’s Bend or Sardelic Sanitarium. They were always empty. Why? Because everyone was in LA or Kamadan.

KC was never a big gathering place, but Shing Jea island was? Why? No idea. But it’s what humans do. Anet can’t control that.

I’m pretty sure if they make every zone universally rewarding, people would still gather in hubs. And I’m also pretty sure if they did this and people didn’t gather, the population would be spread way too thin to make a difference.

Better spread thin then empty zones. It least you would see some people everywhere you’d go. But tbh if all zones would really made more interesting and appealing, i think people would gather.
For example: When i go out tp explore and do events and stuff i look for other players. If queensdale have more people doing events then Harathi for example i will go to queensdale to join “more” people, because it’s fun. Same would work if all zones would have cool content. Let’s say each zone would have dragon boss at the same time in it. Most people would definetly gather at the same boss, unless there would be unbearable lag.
Just think it yourself… If you had a choice to join one event at a time and they are all fun, what would you choose? Would you go where people are? Unless you’re one of lone wolves, which is fine also, there are such players too but there are most of those who like to play in groups or where the groups are.

Coming back to GW2

Vayne.8563

That’s my point….you wouldn’t see people everywhere you go. These zones are HUGE. If there were 12 people in a zone your odds of running into them are very very small.

Let’s say there are 1000 people playing on a server at the same time. Let’s say 25% of them are in WvW. That leaves 750. Maybe another 100 are PvPing. That’s 650, and maybe another 50 in LA. That’s 600. These are all made up numbers, but you get the idea. That’s 600 people split evenly over 25 zones.

That’s 24 people per zone…max. That’s not a lot at all. With the way zones are designed, some in the water, some on land, some in caves, you’re not all that likely to see people. Far more to the point is what happens on the off hours. People who live in Australia, people who work nights…now you end up with like maybe 3 or 4 people in a zone. It’s just not enough.

MMOs go through ebbs and flows. There are a lot more people playing on the day new content is released and many drift away again until new content is released again. That means less people even than that.

Without the new content drawing people back, I think you’d have a very lonely world…much lonlier than it is right now.

Coming back to GW2

serialkicker.5274

I don’t think so.. Imagine all the people that are mainly just sitting at dungeons, lion’s arch and other cities and maybe even people that left the game because there is not much to do… if all those people would go out in the zones, i think you could spread them and there would still be quite a chunk of players everywhere…

Coming back to GW2

Vayne.8563

I don’t think so.. Imagine all the people that are mainly just sitting at dungeons, lion’s arch and other cities and maybe even people that left the game because there is not much to do… if all those people would go out in the zones, i think you could spread them and there would still be quite a chunk of players everywhere…

Tell me, how many people do you think are on each server?

Coming back to GW2

serialkicker.5274

i don’t know

P.S. Also a lot of people are playing only pvp or WvW because they got bored and got nothing to do with PvE, if there would be something to get them back into doing PvE….

(edited by serialkicker.5274)

Coming back to GW2

Vayne.8563

i don’t know

Then it’s hard to be convincing. I think there are less people playing this game than you think. The game sold over 3 million copies. We know a lot of people don’t log in all the time and many left the game. We also know that you have to divide the population into server parks. Nothing that happens in Europe affects the US servers and vice versa.

Your situation might work if you have millions of people playing, but I really don’t think that’s the case. If players are divided evenly between Europe and the US and there’s a million people playing that’s 500,000 per server park.

That’s not a lot of people when you divide by servers, and then figure out how many people play casually and don’t log in every day or week to week.

My guild has a hundred people in it, but only 30 or so long in with any regularity. If that holds true for the rest of the population, start doing the math.

If you spread the population out into every zone you MIGHT see people on the busiest hours, but everyone else the rest of the time is completely screwed.

Coming back to GW2

killcannon.2576

I don’t have to argue it’s a different mmo, it is a different mmo. If you want to apply the logic that it’s the same as any other mmo, go for it. I think that the Devs, the players, and the media will all disagree with you though. End game progression? None. Overall design focus on end game content? None. Trinity? None. Gear based combat? Very little. People fight tooth and nail for this game to not be like every other mmo, and here you’re telling everyone it is like every other mmo. I could probably even go back through some of your early posts stating how it isn’t like every other mmo. The devs can’t treat it that way, because it simply isn’t designed for it from the ground up.

People gather towards reward, that’s it. It’s not magic, it’s not mysticism, it’s not religion. Make the Journey rewarding, and people will go there again, and you will see the population rise again. Or don’t. You will continue to see these posts more and more often till the devs decide to start supporting the Journey correctly.

Coming back to GW2

Vayne.8563

@killcannon

As I’ve said, and illustrated, people don’t just gather toward rewards. People gather in places where there is virtually no reward in Guild Wars 1, like Kamadan and Shing Jea Monastary. Why those places? They’re not rewarding. Nothing around them is rewarding.

You postulate people gather for reward, but I postulate that even if rewards were equal EVERYWHERE, people would still gather. It happens in every MMO not because of the mechanics of MMOs, but because of human nature.

Again, why did people gather in those places in Guild Wars 1, if it’s all about rewards?

Coming back to GW2

killcannon.2576

i don’t know

Then it’s hard to be convincing. I think there are less people playing this game than you think. The game sold over 3 million copies. We know a lot of people don’t log in all the time and many left the game. We also know that you have to divide the population into server parks. Nothing that happens in Europe affects the US servers and vice versa.

Your situation might work if you have millions of people playing, but I really don’t think that’s the case. If players are divided evenly between Europe and the US and there’s a million people playing that’s 500,000 per server park.

That’s not a lot of people when you divide by servers, and then figure out how many people play casually and don’t log in every day or week to week.

My guild has a hundred people in it, but only 30 or so long in with any regularity. If that holds true for the rest of the population, start doing the math.

If you spread the population out into every zone you MIGHT see people on the busiest hours, but everyone else the rest of the time is completely screwed.

So, there are even less people playing than others think? Does this not tell you something of the decisions that have been made and are continuing to be made?

Maybe it’s time to change that then, instead of saying “Well, let’s just continue to do the same thing we’ve been doing, because that’s working out great!”

Coming back to GW2

Vayne.8563

i don’t know

So, there are even less people playing than others think? Does this not tell you something of the decisions that have been made and are continuing to be made?

Maybe it’s time to change that then, instead of saying “Well, let’s just continue to do the same thing we’ve been doing, because that’s working out great!”

No, it doesn’t tell me anything, other than this is one of the most competitive gaming genres available. The MMO field is MASSIVELY overcrowded. There are so many games. So many new releases. And unlike other games. you’re not expected to play them for 20 hours and leave, so the problem compounds itself.

There hasn’t been a truly successful MMO in years, except for WoW and Eve. Rift started out okay, but they’re going free to play now due to lack of interest. And not only are there tons of MMOs out, there are tons of FREE MMOs out there.

You’re comparing a buy to play game to a free to play game, in a genre that many people still won’t embrace. I don’t see why you think that the problem is Guild Wars 2, when the problem has been every single MMO in the last five years….again except Eve.

Everyone is losing Market Share. There are so few MMOs that have a million players left. As more come out, the player base becomes more and more divided. This has nothing to do with design decisions. This has to do with new and shiny. Neverwinter was new and shiny and people will go check it out…particularly because it’s free. That’s the nature of the game.

Guild Wars 2 has done well to keep the player base it has, but it’s not millions of players. It was never going to be. If a huge superpower like SWToR and go free to play and not keep players, if WOW has lost well over a million people since the release of MoP (almost 2 million), if competition keeps coming out, how do you expect any game to maintain millions of players?

Coming back to GW2

serialkicker.5274

i don’t know

Well, I’ve seen games that did poorly at release and they fixed the game and people came back and new people came too.
So, for start, anet should fix the kitten bugs already and balancing issues.
I quit the game for almost 3 months myself and just got back last week. And what i see? Almost every reason why i quit is still there. It really saddens me. And people are reporting bugs and giving suggestion and they barely do something about it. I know some things takes more time, but there are tons of stuff that could be fixed so easily and quick and it wasn’t.

So, if they would fix the game and add some good content that will not last for like a week and then got boring, then people would come back i’m sure.

Coming back to GW2

Vayne.8563

i don’t know

Well, I’ve seen games that did poorly at release and they fixed the game and people came back and new people came too.
So, for start, anet should fix the kitten bugs already and balancing issues.
I quit the game for almost 3 months myself and just got back last week. And what i see? Almost every reason why i quit is still there. It really saddens me. And people are reporting bugs and giving suggestion and they barely do something about it. I know some things takes more time, but there are tons of stuff that could be fixed so easily and quick and it wasn’t.

So, if they would fix the game and add some good content that will not last for like a week and then got boring, then people would come back i’m sure.

Which MMOs would those be? I’m curious.

Coming back to GW2

killcannon.2576

@killcannon

As I’ve said, and illustrated, people don’t just gather toward rewards. People gather in places where there is virtually no reward in Guild Wars 1, like Kamadan and Shing Jea Monastary. Why those places? They’re not rewarding. Nothing around them is rewarding.

You postulate people gather for reward, but I postulate that even if rewards were equal EVERYWHERE, people would still gather. It happens in every MMO not because of the mechanics of MMOs, but because of human nature.

Again, why did people gather in those places in Guild Wars 1, if it’s all about rewards?

Guild Wars 1 is not an MMO, why do you keep bringing up guild wars 1? It wasn’t open world, you maxed out at playing with other people at ten or twelve players, you didn’t even have to play with other players when you had an ai party. None of the designs there reflect anything about mmo’s.

You may as well discuss any single player rpg. There just isn’t enough MMO in GW1 to make contrasts or comparisons to an open world mmo where the population can play and see each other. There was a different focus for GW1. It doesn’t take much to see it, all you have to do is look at the hundreds of threads from GW1 fans hating on gw2, saying how much it isn’t like gw1, saying how different this game is. It’s because this game is an MMO and GW1 wasn’t.

I feel like I’m arguing with Clay now.

Coming back to GW2

Vayne.8563

@killcannon

Guild Wars 1 is not an MMO, why do you keep bringing up guild wars 1? It wasn’t open world, you maxed out at playing with other people at ten or twelve players, you didn’t even have to play with other players when you had an ai party. None of the designs there reflect anything about mmo’s.

You may as well discuss any single player rpg. There just isn’t enough MMO in GW1 to make contrasts or comparisons to an open world mmo where the population can play and see each other. There was a different focus for GW1. It doesn’t take much to see it, all you have to do is look at the hundreds of threads from GW1 fans hating on gw2, saying how much it isn’t like gw1, saying how different this game is. It’s because this game is an MMO and GW1 wasn’t.

That’s funny, I was thinking the same thing about Clay.

It’s not just Guild Wars 1, it’s EVERY MMO. Lotro had a place where people gathered, a couple. If you want to the Prancing Pony, people gathered there. I was a low end zone. No real reason to be there, but that’s where people went? Why? I don’t know.

People always find places to gather…in every MMO…and every multiplayer game too. I used Guild Wars 1 as an example because I know it better than any other game. But the logic is true. Ask anyone who plays any MMO if there aren’t gathering spots that have nothing to do with rewards. Stormwind an dOggrimar in WoW, for example.

Coming back to GW2

serialkicker.5274

Vayne of course the playerbase is devived, because all mmos are the same. They are made to suck money from people as much as possible. I’m fairly new to mmos, but i’ve tried bunch of them and i’ve read a lot about them and they are all prety much the same. The only difference is graphic and combat system. Quest system is always, go talk to this guys, so he can tell you to go talk to the other guys, so that guy can give you a mission to kill few monsters and then come back with the loot. And that’s it. Whole game is a big grind. You grind mainly for higher level gear so you can kill higher level monsters.
Some players enjoy that, they enjoy grinding, but a lot of players will get bored in a week or two. That’s why a big chunk of playerbase is switching from game to game. Try one, meh same kitten as one before, let’s try that new one, might be something new, meh same kitten, let’s try next one…
Gw2 is not like other mmos, but it definetly lacks content and is in a need of some fixes and balancement.

Coming back to GW2

killcannon.2576

i don’t know

No, it doesn’t tell me anything, other than this is one of the most competitive gaming genres available. The MMO field is MASSIVELY overcrowded. There are so many games. So many new releases. And unlike other games. you’re not expected to play them for 20 hours and leave, so the problem compounds itself.

There hasn’t been a truly successful MMO in years, except for WoW and Eve. Rift started out okay, but they’re going free to play now due to lack of interest. And not only are there tons of MMOs out, there are tons of FREE MMOs out there.

You’re comparing a buy to play game to a free to play game, in a genre that many people still won’t embrace. I don’t see why you think that the problem is Guild Wars 2, when the problem has been every single MMO in the last five years….again except Eve.

Everyone is losing Market Share. There are so few MMOs that have a million players left. As more come out, the player base becomes more and more divided. This has nothing to do with design decisions. This has to do with new and shiny. Neverwinter was new and shiny and people will go check it out…particularly because it’s free. That’s the nature of the game.

Guild Wars 2 has done well to keep the player base it has, but it’s not millions of players. It was never going to be. If a huge superpower like SWToR and go free to play and not keep players, if WOW has lost well over a million people since the release of MoP (almost 2 million), if competition keeps coming out, how do you expect any game to maintain millions of players?

I expect them to do well by focusing on what they do best. What GW2 does best, really, truly, best, is the journey. Look at the reviews, look at what the players say, look at the world as you level.

What kills games, especially mmo’s, is losing focus. What was WoW’s claim to fame? End game progression, challenge, and a feeling of accomplishment. Want to know what killed it for it’s core audience? Everyone and their mother walking around in welfare epics, the lfg/lfr/crz, frakking pokemon, oversimplification of skill trees, and the decision to go super casual. If they had stayed true to core concepts of the game, they would have never gone through these periods of losing huge chunks of their playerbase. Short term gain ended up being long term loss.

When you actively and energetically pursue things that are not in the core focus of your game, it will suffer.

Coming back to GW2

killcannon.2576

@killcannon

That’s funny, I was thinking the same thing about Clay.

It’s not just Guild Wars 1, it’s EVERY MMO. Lotro had a place where people gathered, a couple. If you want to the Prancing Pony, people gathered there. I was a low end zone. No real reason to be there, but that’s where people went? Why? I don’t know.

People always find places to gather…in every MMO…and every multiplayer game too. I used Guild Wars 1 as an example because I know it better than any other game. But the logic is true. Ask anyone who plays any MMO if there aren’t gathering spots that have nothing to do with rewards. Stormwind an dOggrimar in WoW, for example.

Those are hubs, not gameplay areas. That’s a totally different subject. If you want to discuss why people go to LA instead of Divinity’s Reach, I suppose we can.

But it doesn’t have anything to do whatsoever in where people decide to actually play. In LotR, people may have gathered at The PP, but they didn’t go out and just play the low level areas. Why would they? It’s not the games focus. When high levels went out to play they went to the end level zones and dungeons. Because that was the endgame.

People may gather in SW and Org, but they didn’t go out and play in that zone. Why would they? It’s not the games focus. They would go to the Cata zones (no clue what they do now, I signed the hell off before pandaland) and play/farm/run dungeons. Because that was the focus. Endgame

You can bring up as many other MMO’s you want, and if they have a focus on endgame, unlike GW2, that’s where the players are going to be.

The fact is GW2 needs to decide what it’s going to be. Is it going to be Endgame? If so it needs more of it and quick. Or is it going to be Journey? If it is, it needs to lay off this temporary jazz, make all the zones equally rewarding, and start focusing on content to bring people back into these zones. Farming world bosses everyday, doing pent/shelt, and zerging WvW ain’t compelling gameplay to recommend it to people.

(edited by killcannon.2576)

Coming back to GW2

Vayne.8563

Vayne of course the playerbase is devived, because all mmos are the same. They are made to suck money from people as much as possible. I’m fairly new to mmos, but i’ve tried bunch of them and i’ve read a lot about them and they are all prety much the same. The only difference is graphic and combat system. Quest system is always, go talk to this guys, so he can tell you to go talk to the other guys, so that guy can give you a mission to kill few monsters and then come back with the loot. And that’s it. Whole game is a big grind. You grind mainly for higher level gear so you can kill higher level monsters.
Some players enjoy that, they enjoy grinding, but a lot of players will get bored in a week or two. That’s why a big chunk of playerbase is switching from game to game. Try one, meh same kitten as one before, let’s try that new one, might be something new, meh same kitten, let’s try next one…
Gw2 is not like other mmos, but it definetly lacks content and is in a need of some fixes and balancement.

If people didn’t like this, WoW wouldn’t still have 8.3 million subscribers. That’s a lot of people. In fact, look at the popularity of games like Farmville, which have considerably more players. And that’s pure grind.

I agree this game needs work. I also think that work takes a lot longer than people think it will. Not just because of resources not dedicated to it, but because there are so many things that need attention. LFG tool, well yeah we need that. More viable builds. We need that. Stuff like the builds require mega long term testing, so yeah it takes time. And you can’t really change everything at once because then you open the flood gates. Last month the did some work on pets. They’re better. Not awesome but much better than before. Now we see how rangers do with that change and how it works into everything else before changing the next thing.

There’s plenty of work that needs to be done in this game. But it’s still the new content that keeps people playing.

Coming back to GW2

serialkicker.5274

If people didn’t like this, WoW wouldn’t still have 8.3 million subscribers. That’s a lot of people. In fact, look at the popularity of games like Farmville, which have considerably more players. And that’s pure grind.

I agree this game needs work. I also think that work takes a lot longer than people think it will. Not just because of resources not dedicated to it, but because there are so many things that need attention. LFG tool, well yeah we need that. More viable builds. We need that. Stuff like the builds require mega long term testing, so yeah it takes time. And you can’t really change everything at once because then you open the flood gates. Last month the did some work on pets. They’re better. Not awesome but much better than before. Now we see how rangers do with that change and how it works into everything else before changing the next thing.

There’s plenty of work that needs to be done in this game. But it’s still the new content that keeps people playing.

Sure, i know, that’s a lot of people. I haven’t played WoW myself, but those 8 mio people are probably those who like this playstyle, grinding etc. But there also a lot of people that don’t and those people might played wow or any other mmo and quit and now they tought, well finally gw2 here, something “different” from other mmos, like it was advertised… And… yeah it different as far as i can tell, but like i said, there’s a lot to be done.
Some of the bugs (especailly skill bugs) are here since release and i can’t say this for all, but some of those are game breaking bugs for me. If i want to play certain class and i can’t properly because 1 out of 5 skill on my weapon is broken/useless/bugged then that’s a huge deal. 1/5 of my skills is of no use. Now if i want to play this class i need to find another build which i might not like. And then when i finally get new gear set, they break that too. Because they can’t fix something without breaking something else it seems.
I think we can agree that bugs are one of the biggest and most annoying issues in gaming and a lot of people quit games because of it. If people are playing a buggy game, that means they must like that game, otherwise they wouldn’t bother. But not everyone can’t and won’t wait forever for fixes.
Just by fixing and balancing the game, they would vastly improve fun factor of the game. Becuase right now, most people run the same builds, same weapons, doing same stuff…

Coming back to GW2

Vayne.8563

Sure, i know, that’s a lot of people. I haven’t played WoW myself, but those 8 mio people are probably those who like this playstyle, grinding etc. But there also a lot of people that don’t and those people might played wow or any other mmo and quit and now they tought, well finally gw2 here, something “different” from other mmos, like it was advertised… And… yeah it different as far as i can tell, but like i said, there’s a lot to be done.
Some of the bugs (especailly skill bugs) are here since release and i can’t say this for all, but some of those are game breaking bugs for me. If i want to play certain class and i can’t properly because 1 out of 5 skill on my weapon is broken/useless/bugged then that’s a huge deal. 1/5 of my skills is of no use. Now if i want to play this class i need to find another build which i might not like. And then when i finally get new gear set, they break that too. Because they can’t fix something without breaking something else it seems.
I think we can agree that bugs are one of the biggest and most annoying issues in gaming and a lot of people quit games because of it. If people are playing a buggy game, that means they must like that game, otherwise they wouldn’t bother. But not everyone can’t and won’t wait forever for fixes.
Just by fixing and balancing the game, they would vastly improve fun factor of the game. Becuase right now, most people run the same builds, same weapons, doing same stuff…

Yep, bugs can be massively frustrating, but it’s also not good to ignore how many of those bugs HAVE been fixed too. Recently some Engineer bugs were fixed, before that ranger bugs were fixed, pet AI has been updated…changes ARE happening. They’re just not happening fast enough for people who think these changes are easy to make. They’re really not.

As time goes on, more and more changes will be made.

Coming back to GW2

Posted by: Jazzabelle.6531

Jazzabelle.6531

GW2 is the FIRST game I have played where at any time the game is taken down and fixes implemented. No waiting for a certain day of week to put them in place, we have them we are fixing them and we are doing it now. Sure often as they fix one bug another is set off but they do keep working on them.

I love watching people crying about no endgame in a pretty newly released game. The change in gamer expectancy is what has totally ruined the gaming community and meant we are now offered below par games. Way back when we fully expected to start playing a game and have a level cap at different levels…. 30, 50, 80, 120, 160, 200 etc. We played a game for years NOT weeks and we didnt cry when they gave us new content that increased the level cap or meant we had to buy new weapons and armour.

I remember on one game I played for nearly 18 months every day on the same map killing the same mobs waiting for the level cap to be raised. I didnt cry about no new content I was having way to much fun with all my mates tearing up the game and making money for when the new content was released

Coming back to GW2

Posted by: Eridani.8317

Eridani.8317

I love watching people crying about no endgame in a pretty newly released game.

I don’t think GW2 can be classed as newly released any more. It’s almost a year old.

And if you’re happy doing the same thing day after day then more power to you. Thousands of people aren’t, hence why this game has been bleeding players for months.

Coming back to GW2

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

I imagine 2 years from now people will still call this game new, right?

Coming back to GW2

Vayne.8563

You name a single MMO that came into it’s own during the first year. That was fleshed out with a lot of end game content. Just one. I’ll wait here.

Most MMOs have either no end game, or tiny worlds, or tons of bugs. No one has a big huge world with lots of content and lots of end game and lots of bugs at launch nor do they have all that stuff a year later.

And you know, if it were easy, someone would have done it.

Rift came pretty close, except that the world was very small at launch and there were still some major gaffs. And people complained about no end game content.

Coming back to GW2

Posted by: Kakeru.2873

Kakeru.2873

You name a single MMO that came into it’s own during the first year. That was fleshed out with a lot of end game content. Just one. I’ll wait here.

Most MMOs have either no end game, or tiny worlds, or tons of bugs. No one has a big huge world with lots of content and lots of end game and lots of bugs at launch nor do they have all that stuff a year later.

Rift came pretty close, except that the world was very small at launch and there were still some major gaffs. And people complained about no end game content.

Aion

Coming back to GW2

Vayne.8563

Aion

Aion?? Did you even play the game? Did you visit the forums?

Aion released with a big world that had no quests in it. People ran out of quests completely and had to farm mobs over and over again to level in order to get to the PVP side of the game, so they could level some more.

The game had tons of bugs, not enough quests…and after the Asian release, when it released in the states, the retention rate was dreadful because of this.

Asians don’t mind EXTREMLELY grindy games and that’s really what Aion gave you. Not more content. A longer wait to get through the content they gave you. Eventually Aion has more content and more ques and more things to do…but that was more than two years after release.

I can’t even imagine of all the possible games you’d bring up Aion. I remember people freaking out over the fact that you simply ran out of quests and there was no way to level up without just farming the same bosses over and over and over again, until you leveled.