Commander Icon Hatred?

Commander Icon Hatred?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Fay.2735

Fay.2735

I often get hateful whispers thrown at me (Especially in overflows) when I go into Lion’s Arch having forgotten to switch off my commander icon(Which is really easy to forget btw).

It really needs to stop, Why do people send hateful messages? Because it costs 100 gold? It was donated to me by my amazing guildies who when I mentioned it would help organise our many PvE events as well as when we do WvW just instantly started giving money to help out (I was merely bringing it up as a suggestion as to whether it was worth saving up for). I’m not rich nor flaunting my ‘wealth’.

Sure plenty of people are rich and have it for that reason but why people presume it’s how I got the badge is a wrong presumption, So please stop throwing hate at me for ‘flaunting my riches’. For the most things I worked hard for for myself or had kind people help me out. I’m just fortunate with great people around me who all help each other out.

Even worse is that people assume it’s only useful for WvW, Complaining why I’m not in WvW to command things it really isn’t just useful for WvW. The amount of times it’s come in handy for our various PvE related guild events…. (Which we have every other day) So no when I’m walking around with my badge on it’s not to flaunt anything or to annoy you by being on your map.

I either forgot I still have it on (which is most likely) or I’m doing something that requires me to have it on so my guildies know where things are happening precisely. There’s no need to send me hateful messages over it it’s just plain rude. Don’t presume to know why I have the icon or that it instantly makes me an awful annoying person for having it on. I’m just a hard working guild leader trying to give my guildies the best possible fun with events and community feel.

Anyone else had this happen to them? Maybe there should be a way to swap the badge from WvW to PvE so people know? I don’t know I just semi needed to rant about it and curious if anyone else is getting hate messages because of the icon. I don’t really know what to do about it.

•— Fay Everdunes | Fay Erduna | Lilyfay (Fay.2735) — Mesmer/Revenant — [NA]FA — 8k±Hrs Played —•
Have you heard of the city? The ancient uru? Where there was power to write worlds

Commander Icon Hatred?

Posted by: Omega Mayhem.7163

Omega Mayhem.7163

It’s not because of the money… 100 gold is nothing now.

It’s because the icon is annoying, especially if there are more than one running around.

Commander Icon Hatred?

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

I think it had to do with ransoms who are not great leaders going for them. I personally feel its a waste but I’d never demean someone for choosing to get it. I’d just block them and pay no attention to their comments.

Commander Icon Hatred?

Fay.2735

It’s because the icon is annoying, especially if there are more than one running around.

I know this it’s why I try to keep it off when in cities but I don’t always remember to do so or sometimes I’m doing something (Like gathering guildies at my location). I don’t mean to annoy anyone there’s really no need to instantly start throwing hate at someone over it if you know what I mean?

It doesn’t annoy me when I see commander icons unless there’s literally dozens of them but when I’m the only one that has it on is there really any need for the hate? Just kindly remind the person they have it on and I’d apologies or explain why it’s on.

•— Fay Everdunes | Fay Erduna | Lilyfay (Fay.2735) — Mesmer/Revenant — [NA]FA — 8k±Hrs Played —•
Have you heard of the city? The ancient uru? Where there was power to write worlds

Commander Icon Hatred?

Posted by: Awesome.6120

Awesome.6120

You get messages because people don’t want your big blue annoying icon on their mini maps. If we could just turn off the big blue annoying icons ourselves instead of you turning your own icon off it wouldn’t be an issue.

[SFD] – Maguuma

Commander Icon Hatred?

Posted by: Fortuna.7259

Fortuna.7259

In other words, it is because people are irritable and snippy. I’m sure they will survive.

LF2M Max Ascended Only!

Commander Icon Hatred?

Posted by: Raf.1078

Raf.1078

Its not your problem Fay…its theirs. Just consider the source and don’t let it ruin your day.

PF/ GOAT on Tarnished Coast (Semi-Retired)
Raf Longshanks-80 Norn Guardian / 9 more alts of various lvls / Charter Member Altaholics Anon

Commander Icon Hatred?

Posted by: Awesome.6120

Awesome.6120

In other words, it is because people are irritable and snippy. I’m sure they will survive.

I’m sure the poor commanders will survive a few irritated, snippy messages here and there.

[SFD] – Maguuma

Commander Icon Hatred?

Posted by: LemurTron.9261

LemurTron.9261

There are plenty of horrible commanders out there.. as if spending 100g gives people the “right” to type horrible advice in ALL CAPS on wvw maps and expect respect in return.

Even so, arbitrary random commander hatred is pointless. Specific commander hatred much more on point xD. There are some good commanders out there, for sure. But there are plenty of them who are useless at best

I’m not sure why people would hate the icon itself, unless they think a commander is specifically leaving it on in cities to show off?

Perhaps some of the “hate” is backlash from many who already have bosses in RL and don’t like being bossed around in game either

(edited by LemurTron.9261)

Commander Icon Hatred?

Posted by: Debsylvania.7396

Debsylvania.7396

Fay,
I’m sorry you’re getting mean messages. Thank you for turning off that blue emblem when you don’t need it. I can certainly understand forgetting to turn it off sometimes. I’m prone to forgetfulness myself.

I have found that I tune out that blue symbol on my minimap, now, unless it’s something I need to pay attention to at the moment. Much like that big orange boss symbol that can show up from a million miles away. Once you make mental note of what the deal is, you can just put it out of your mind.

I just wanted to let you know that there really are some reasonable human beings out there. If only the nasty ones weren’t so prone to being so vocal! :P

Deb ~The Chewbacca Defense [TCD];
Waiting For Death [WFD]
@ Borlis Pass Server

Commander Icon Hatred?

Posted by: Voonith.2561

Voonith.2561

These people have personal issues, there’s nothing wrong with you or your icon.
My recommendation: Report. Block.

All’s fair in love and Wuv.
[ART] Gate of Madness

Commander Icon Hatred?

Fay.2735

You get messages because people don’t want your big blue annoying icon on their mini maps. If we could just turn off the big blue annoying icons ourselves instead of you turning your own icon off it wouldn’t be an issue.

This would be a good solution to have a toggle on/off for individual users because I’m really forgetful and I know it can be annoying to some people but I can’t make myself not forget that I forgot if you know what I mean I just wish people would be a bit more considerate that I’m only a busy guild leader trying to do multiple things at once.

The only indication I have that it’s on is that there’s the buff on my action bar which I don’t really pay attention to when I’m busy chatting with people or crafting/BLTC/bank with the windows covering the screen and the chat window on the other side of the screen.

The other one is the icon that covers me on the mini-map (which you can barely see) and which I also never look at when I’m running around Lion’s Arch because I know my way around.

Just please people keep in mind that not everyone who has the icon on is a horrible person trying to annoy you. I’m really not trying to do that and thanks to everyone who understand where I’m coming from.

Commander Icon Hatred?

Posted by: Omega Mayhem.7163

Omega Mayhem.7163

I know this it’s why I try to keep it off when in cities but I don’t always remember to do so or sometimes I’m doing something (Like gathering guildies at my location). I don’t mean to annoy anyone there’s really no need to instantly start throwing hate at someone over it if you know what I mean?

It doesn’t annoy me when I see commander icons unless there’s literally dozens of them but when I’m the only one that has it on is there really any need for the hate? Just kindly remind the person they have it on and I’d apologies or explain why it’s on.

Don’t get me wrong… I don’t mind them… doesn’t bother me.

Commander Icon Hatred?

Fay.2735

Here’s a good example, Imagine it was you with the commander icon and you just came from WvW or a PvE event get together. You get to Lion’s Arch to do some crafting or buying items on the trading post (You know the usual) while chatting to your guildies.

Now look at the two screenshots and imagine it’s you while doing all those things you usually would do. Would you notice the tiny blue icon on your mini-map? Or the very plain looking buff above your action bar? Especially if you happen to have other buffs/sigils/icons active. You can’t even see it at all when having trading post or crafting window open.

Then within a minute someone whispers you all kinds of hate and abuse and sarcastic comments. Is it really necessary? I hope if you read this and you hate people with icons on you will keep this in mind for next time. Sure there’s plenty of commanders who are just doing it to be annoying etc. but not all of us are set out to be a pain to others.

Attachments:

Commander Icon Hatred?

Posted by: Milennin.4825

Milennin.4825

I dunno why people would do that, but the commander icon is really annoying and useless in PvE. It only clutters up the already crowded mini-map. Wish I could turn it off, and have it only show up in WvWvW.

Just who the hell do you think I am!?

Commander Icon Hatred?

Posted by: Mimizu.7340

Mimizu.7340

when two or more commanders are in LA, they are usually hanging around the MF/Bank/TP area.
on the minimap both icons then overlay each other and flicker constantly,
the human eye is designed to detect movement and react to it,
causing people to be constantly drawn to the flickering blue icons on the minimap.
this is highly annoying, and non-commander players have no option to disable it.
if you are a commander, you should turn the icon off in cities,
because you and only you can turn it on and off.
with great power comes great responsibilty
you have total control of the icon, you are responsible for it.
if someone whispers insults, report them and block them.
making a thread about it seems as attention seeking as the icon itself.
i get that you are a nice person and are doing your best for your guild etc,
i just dont care.

Mimizu Heavy Industries [Doll] – Underworld

Commander Icon Hatred?

Posted by: Aye.8392

Aye.8392

I agree, it is annoying. I would love for A-Net to give you and others a toggle switch so that you don’t have to see the commander’s icons at all. But, that’s not something that the commanders can do anything about. They didn’t create a large, ugly, overwhelming icon, and they didn’t decide that you shouldn’t be able to turn it off at your whim. Personally, I’m not killing my cross-guild squad chat. If I get whispers asking me to turn it off I’ll explain why I have it on. If I get rude whispers demanding that I turn it off I’ll use the tools A-Net has given me to deal with that: report and block.

There is a suggestion forum, and it has been suggested that A-Net provide a toggle switch for displaying the commander’s icons. Perhaps people who hate seeing them should voice that opinion in a venue where it might do some good.

www.AlchemyIncorporated.net
Sorrows Furnace

Commander Icon Hatred?

Posted by: Aleanther.4782

Aleanther.4782

Personally I like the people with the commander icon on…especially in Orr and Cursed Shores. These are the people running the events most of the times and asking for more people. It’s easy to see where they are and where you need to be.

So please keep them on.

Commander Icon Hatred?

Posted by: Wizardauz.3761

Wizardauz.3761

Is it really inconveniencing people this much too see a little blue arrow on their map?….

I mean, come on. I just dgaf. Its a little blue arrow that pops up. Who cares? Really blocking your mini-map so bad that its actually preventing you from playing.

Or is it really just people who are jealous and have prejudices against commanders for reasons that have no relevance on other individuals despite your experiences with previous commanders? hmm….

God this is so stupid, thats like saying “OMG I HATE WALKING AROUND LA AND SEEING PEOPLE DANCE, SOO ANNOYING GOSSSH”

Srsly people. Grow up. Get over it. Play your game. Im pretty sure that guy in LA who might of forgotten to turn it off or even just has it on for laughs isnt a horrible person worthy of being called out and scrutinized for.

Ehmry Bay – Good Fights Guild Leader
Lvl 80 Sylvari Guardian – Tzenjin [GF]
Lvl 80 Human Elementalist – Tzenkai [GF]

Commander Icon Hatred?

Fay.2735

when two or more commanders are in LA, they are usually hanging around the MF/Bank/TP area.
on the minimap both icons then overlay each other and flicker constantly,
the human eye is designed to detect movement and react to it,
causing people to be constantly drawn to the flickering blue icons on the minimap.
this is highly annoying, and non-commander players have no option to disable it.
if you are a commander, you should turn the icon off in cities,
because you and only you can turn it on and off.
with great power comes great responsibilty
you have total control of the icon, you are responsible for it.
if someone whispers insults, report them and block them.
making a thread about it seems as attention seeking as the icon itself.
i get that you are a nice person and are doing your best for your guild etc,
i just dont care.

I agree that it can be annoying for people the reason I made this topic is not to be an attention seeker it’s to explain to people that it’s really easy to forget you have it on. I can imagine if you aren’t a commander that it’s easy to say ‘Why don’t you just take it off?!’

Well have a look at the screenshots I posted. It’s so easy to forget about it or be distracted from it. It’s not my fault that it was made so it’s really obvious it’s on for you but hardly noticeable for me. I just want people to take this into consideration before they start to insult people who have the icon on.

I agree that Anet should think of a way of improving the commander system so it’s less intrusive to players by having a toggle option for it but also for commanders to see the icon above their own heads so we can’t possible forget we have it on or make the buff more noticeable (Like perhaps an icon at the top of the screen in stead?).

Commander Icon Hatred?

Posted by: Gluttony.2017

Gluttony.2017

My hatred for commanders first starting developing after listening to all caps commanders yelling “BUILD A RAM HERE” “TARGET THE ARROW CARTS” “RES DOWNED PLAYERS” “NEED MORE PEOPLE ON SM” < when all our supplie camps are being captured and a tower was attacked. Im still waiting for a commander telling me in caps lock to target players with red names. Also, those arrogant jerks that stand in front of the bank and afk while commander is on. Mind you, im not going to swear at you, but i definatly find it annoying. That and I dislike the colour blue.
So yeah, im totally for an option to show/hide the commander icon while in cities. Its not even needed there, its just for wvwvw everything else can be done by linking a POI and meeting up there or asking map chat were the events are going on.

Commander Icon Hatred?

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

I agree that there shouldn’t be hateful whispers i could care less if you had that on, it’s nice to have it.

I would however request that there be an icon for guild leaders and the ability to open a squad because pve only guilds often run whole event chains and finish whole zones and it would make it so much easier to see our guild leader (not asking for this for the officers or the supporting crafters simply the creator of the guild for pve purposes.)

You can’t buy one with pve credits or currencies of any kind (unless it’s one of those things where they changed it, I was under the impression you HAD to use both gold and some wvw currency or so I’m told) , and not every guild does pvp or wvw. Something should be done.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Commander Icon Hatred?

Posted by: ProphetSword.5427

ProphetSword.5427

Here’s a good example, Imagine it was you with the commander icon and you just came from WvW or a PvE event get together. You get to Lion’s Arch to do some crafting or buying items on the trading post (You know the usual) while chatting to your guildies.

Now look at the two screenshots and imagine it’s you while doing all those things you usually would do. Would you notice the tiny blue icon on your mini-map? Or the very plain looking buff above your action bar? Especially if you happen to have other buffs/sigils/icons active. You can’t even see it at all when having trading post or crafting window open.

Then within a minute someone whispers you all kinds of hate and abuse and sarcastic comments. Is it really necessary? I hope if you read this and you hate people with icons on you will keep this in mind for next time. Sure there’s plenty of commanders who are just doing it to be annoying etc. but not all of us are set out to be a pain to others.

I’m not one of those people who whisper a bunch of hatred, I just try to ignore it, so I’m sorry that you got that reaction. But, to be fair, it has caused issues for me in the past and that’s why I would like the option to turn it off.

For example, I have had situations where the icon has blocked my ability to see a waypoint on the map clearly. And another situation where I couldn’t see a party member on the map because of someone having theirs activated.

It’s annoying to see…but that doesn’t mean that people should be mean to you about it.

Commander Icon Hatred?

Posted by: Kojiden.8405

Kojiden.8405

One on hand I don’t think it’s a good idea to grief someone over something like this. Those types of people should probably take a chill pill. But on the other you should probably realize that people just don’t want to see your icon on the map. This is especially true when there are multiple commander icons on the map.

This would all be a non-issue if players could disable seeing the commander icons on the map, but for now you will just have to try your best to remember to turn it off when you’re not using it.

Commander Icon Hatred?

Posted by: Mayam.8976

Mayam.8976

If there is any gripe I have with people posessing commander pins it’s when in WvW they either have no business commanding anything or are in there just running around solo or with a couple people and don’t have any intention of getting on the server’s TS or even commenting in /t. They simply bought tons of gold and got the icon for no other reason than cool points. Usually they have zero intention (or ability) to help in WvW in a leading capacity if at all too . If people bought one because they have more money than they know what to do with in real life and just want to be “one of the cool kids” in GW2 or use it for them and their friends to sync up in PvE or WvW? Fine. Just have the courtesy to turn it off when not using it for that reason or using it for the greater strategy of your server in that BL or Eternal.

Regardless though, there’s nothing any posessor of a pin could do that would cause me to verbally berate a stranger. It’s nothing I’d call anyone out for in RL where we’d be face to face and I’m not a keyboard thug that’ll call ysomeone everything but a child of God because I happen to be anonymous on the web. I have FAR less respect for those “tough guys”.

I’ve recently started thinking that guild’s should have a guild wide system of member’s map icons that at least other members representing the guild can see. At least allow the GM an icon or the ranking officers on line. Preferably though it should be an option determined by the GM for each rank just like with the powers to invite / kick people, use of the guild bank etc. Make it world wide too on the PvE map if possible so when a member calls for help you can click their name just like you would a WP link and the map instantly centers over them so you can find the quickest possible path to them if they call for back up. Likewise for the WvW map so you can instantly find your guild members with just a quick glance at the map and quickly make your way to them. I think such a game mechanic would be GREATLY useful. Well, in my opinion at least. I’d love to see this instituted. Make it a benefit the guild hast to invest in to gain if A-Net feels the need to…

/shrug

Commander Icon Hatred?

Posted by: Surbrus.6942

Surbrus.6942

I’ve actually seen mean words thrown around on /map in Lions Arch and /team in WvW get some of the bad commanders to stop using their commander tags.

Even stopping one bad commander from clogging up chat with their stupid orders, and whisking away the mindless zerglings into useless positions is enough of a benefit that people acting mean to a commander is a good thing for the game.

Sure it sucks for the “nobody” commanders that don’t have recognition in the server’s WvW community, but that is arguably a small price to pay for putting a stop to the shenanigans of bad commanders and vanity commanders. Unfortunately, the good commanders, and the PvE commanders are completely outnumbered by the hordes of kitten and vanity commanders… and the only real way of avoiding that is to become recognized as a good commander in WvW.

What would be perfect is if Anet made it so that you could use the functionality of your commander buff, but limiting it to squad/party/guild members only. That way you don’t get mistaken for a vanity commander and you don’t everyone on the map (except those that are following you).

Commander Icon Hatred?

Posted by: Orson Diturno.8709

Orson Diturno.8709

Is it really inconveniencing people this much too see a little blue arrow on their map?….

I mean, come on. I just dgaf. Its a little blue arrow that pops up. Who cares? Really blocking your mini-map so bad that its actually preventing you from playing.

Or is it really just people who are jealous and have prejudices against commanders for reasons that have no relevance on other individuals despite your experiences with previous commanders? hmm….

God this is so stupid, thats like saying “OMG I HATE WALKING AROUND LA AND SEEING PEOPLE DANCE, SOO ANNOYING GOSSSH”

Srsly people. Grow up. Get over it. Play your game. Im pretty sure that guy in LA who might of forgotten to turn it off or even just has it on for laughs isnt a horrible person worthy of being called out and scrutinized for.

Yea, I know right. Talk about First World problems.

To me, it is just another icon on the map.

Commander Icon Hatred?

Posted by: Morpeth.5318

Morpeth.5318

Because it’s pretentious to have it on anywhere other than WvW.

I’d also add, since you don’t have to actually earn it, other than having 100gp, many people find it increasingly pointless. And now that many people have them, they become meaningless when you have 6 different people on one map trying to play boss.

(edited by Morpeth.5318)

Commander Icon Hatred?

Posted by: Surbrus.6942

Surbrus.6942

A better analogy is a whole bunch of rich people dressing up as police officers and directing traffic, while 90% of them have no idea what they are doing, but that is not going to stop them.

When people see a new person in a police uniform they don’t recognize, they immediately think this is one of these rich buffoons and attention seekers… to which they harass because they know from experience that harassing these pretenders is a good way of making some of them fess up and change their ways.

(edited by Surbrus.6942)

Commander Icon Hatred?

Posted by: Lunar Sunset.8742

Lunar Sunset.8742

ANet can fix this by having the icon automatically disabled in all cities and having the icon bought by some other means than gold… I mean seriously… Why gold?

Sunset
50/50 GWAMM x3
I quit how I want

Commander Icon Hatred?

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

If you don’t want the attention, turn it off. Seems so simple a situation to solve.

Commander Icon Hatred?

Posted by: Kerithlan.1659

Kerithlan.1659

When I first started the game someone was running around in Queensdale with their badge on and I was horribly confused because I thought that they were an NPC or an event that I was supposed to be looking for. When I found them and asked what was going on, I was called a stupid noob and berated (pretty much uncalled for). I didn’t figure it out until I went into WvW for the first time a week later.

If you aren’t responsible enough to know how to turn a badge off, then you’re not responsible enough to wear it imho. It goes both ways.

Fosthe — Sylvari Elementalist
Men of Science [MoS] – Tarnished Coast

Commander Icon Hatred?

Posted by: Kerithlan.1659

Kerithlan.1659

ANet can fix this by having the icon automatically disabled in all cities and having the icon bought by some other means than gold… I mean seriously… Why gold?

It’s sold in gold to keep it in like with other book items.

I would prefer it to be sold for 250-500 marks. I don’t want it to be permanently disabled outside of WvW because it has use for people rallying to events and so on (and there are events that are held in cities). I want the people that have it to have earned it and be responsible with it.

Fosthe — Sylvari Elementalist
Men of Science [MoS] – Tarnished Coast

Commander Icon Hatred?

Lunar Sunset.8742

It’s sold in gold to keep it in like with other book items.

I would prefer it to be sold for 250-500 marks. I don’t want it to be permanently disabled outside of WvW because it has use for people rallying to events and so on (and there are events that are held in cities). I want the people that have it to have earned it and be responsible with it.

I would agree with you however, you can always see the events in cities, no matter how far you are away from them. And usually when there is an event in a city it is a pretty big deal.

Sunset
50/50 GWAMM x3
I quit how I want

Commander Icon Hatred?

Posted by: Joseph Skyrim.2470

Joseph Skyrim.2470

People whisper you their hatred? Awesome. I need to get me one of these books so I can determine which players don’t deserve to be in my guild, be partied with, helped, or exist in general.

Commander Icon Hatred?

Posted by: Kopipoki.3542

Kopipoki.3542

I’m not going to send anyone tells for having their commander icon on in towns, but I do think that Commanders that have their icons on in towns are kids who don’t get enough attention from mommy and daddy and are searching for it in game.

Commander Icon Hatred?

Mayam.8976

Also, I’m of the opinion that, okay fine A-Net is making it’s nut on micro transactions, understood and more power to em – hoping it works out for em because I do in fact enjoy the game. When it comes to something as tactically crucial to WvW though, yeah fine charge 100 gold, if a player cna get their guild or other players to kick in for their pin then that right there says a lot about their qualifications.

BUT, for the sake of weeding out the “wannabe cool kids” runnin around sportin their pin 24/7 for no reason at all – adding maybe an honor badge price component too or requiring that they achieve the “Realm Avenger” badge or SOMETHING seems apporpriate.

Likewise instituting a guild specific map marker icon system would cut out the poeple purchasing commander pins for that reason and those going to the trouble of getting a commander pin would really be doinf just for the intention of being a WvW leader for their server.

P.S BTW OP and any other commanders reading, I’m just speaking in complete generalities here and dont mean to infer in anyway that you didn’t get your pin to do anything but help your server and serve as a rally point in PvE or other useful benefits of posessing a pin.

Commander Icon Hatred?

Mayam.8976

I’m not going to send anyone tells for having their commander icon on in towns, but I do think that Commanders that have their icons on in towns are kids who don’t get enough attention from mommy and daddy and are searching for it in game.

LOL!!! Don’t sugar coat it man, tell us how you really feel! HA!

Commander Icon Hatred?

Mayam.8976

Yeah, they had to know that the amount of people able to shell out 100 gold for one of these was gonna grow to be a pretty large community over time too. Think how it’s gonna look in a year or two, and having set the price at 100g at launch you can’t really raise the price significantly now with out ticking off a bunch of players – some people seem to just sit around waiting for any chance to hit the forums and swear that A-Net / NCSoft has betrayed them on the deepest levels of their emotional being, lost customers for life and should prepare for a class action lawsuit over a change like that. LOL! It’s funny but seriously – it’s true too!

Maybe they just counted on a certain level of maturity among it’s players and that they would cooperate for the sake of their server’s victory and turn their map icons on or off depending upon who was currently commanding or marking attack / defense points on the map, etc.. If that’s so I think they’ve given the majority WAY too much credit LOL!

(edited by Mayam.8976)

Commander Icon Hatred?

Fay.2735

Some of the comments I’ve read are exactly what I’m talking about. I do try to take it off but as I said it’s easy to forget when you are busy doing various things it has nothing to do with lack of responsibility.

I guess you have to be a guild leader with a very busy guild with many people and things requiring your attention to understand where I’m coming from. I’m only human I can only do so much at the same time, to send hate messages for something like this is ridiculous, rude and judgemental.

I also explained that I’m not rich, I got the money because my guild is filled with lovely people who saw the usefulness of having it for our many events and wanted to support their guild.

Imagine you were wearing a shiny hat pointing down at your head in real life kindly given to you by your friends so people can see where you are in a crowd. You enter a room while talking to your friends after a get together completely forgetting you have the hat on and a guy comes over to you and starts being rude to you ‘how dare you wear that hat!’…

You see my point? Sure it’s an annoying unsightly hat but that doesn’t mean you can insult someone over it the second they walk in the room. You can easily forget you’re wearing a hat. Same thing goes for the commander icon.

As for new people running around in zones, I’ve had a few approach and I’ve always been polite and explained. I don’t see any harm to the confusion, when you first join the game you have to learn what all the icons mean regardless. It’s just another icon. As for the commander being rude to people asking about the icon it’s obviously unacceptable, When wearing the icon you have the responsibility to act respectfully towards anyone in the community.

Some of the suggestions I’ve read are really good though, I’d love an icon that only guild members can see as guild leader it would work the same way minus the hate of random people. That said I do use it for WvW also and I’m most certainly not one of those commanders who go ‘ALL CAPS LOCK’ I personally can’t stand that either.

Just like with all people there are good commanders and bad but just because you’ve had some bad experiences with a couple of them doesn’t mean you should treat the next best one you see with hate.

I can understand the frustration of my icon on your screen but it’s honestly not a big enough issue to validate throwing abuse at a strange, it has never bugged me when commanders had an icon on when I didn’t have one (Other than wishing I had one to make things easier for running the guild)

It’s easily tuned out and often I find a lot of commanders are nice, chatty people to talk to. I don’t just see them as commanders in WvW but also as people that bring the community and people together.

Commander Icon Hatred?

Joseph Skyrim.2470

Just like Batman?

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/5/59690/2051571-batman-my-parents-are-dead.gif

Sorry, couldn’t pass up the opportunity to share that.

Commander Icon Hatred?

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

The icons are annoying? I never actually looked at my map and felt annoyed towards moving icons. How do they hinder you in any way? People are rude because they’re either jealous or think your stupid for wasting gold they wish you’d of given them instead.
The gold for commander title is kinda weird, but it does allow a type of nomination system for guilds since lotta commanders got it by donations from people who saw them fit to be one. Not as effective anymore since gold comes easier than it used to. Maybe they should of made it obtained through people donating a lot of badges? :s

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Commander Icon Hatred?

Posted by: Kopipoki.3542

Kopipoki.3542

LOL!!! Don’t sugar coat it man, tell us how you really feel! HA!

That’s pretty much exactly how I feel about them. There’s no animosity just pity.

Just like Batman?

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/5/59690/2051571-batman-my-parents-are-dead.gif

Sorry, couldn’t pass up the opportunity to share that.

I’m pretty sure batman got a lot of attention from his parents, considering he was a single child.

Commander Icon Hatred?

Posted by: Edge.4180

Edge.4180

I often get hateful whispers thrown at me (Especially in overflows) when I go into Lion’s Arch having forgotten to switch off my commander icon(Which is really easy to forget btw).

It really needs to stop, Why do people send hateful messages? Because it costs 100 gold?

I could care less about the money. However, I do care about unnecessary clutter on my interface, another player’s ability to oddly add to it, and the lack of tools on my end to do anything to remove it.

More importantly, when I was still new to the game and new to Lion’s Arch, I had no idea where a specific vendor was. I scoured the mini-map for a stupid amount of time trying to find the vendor’s icon somewhere on it, eventually coming to the incorrect conclusion that Lion’s Arch didn’t provide that type of vendor.

The vendor, of course, was there the whole time. The problem: players with commander icons were parked at the vendor and their icons were obscuring the NPC’s icon on my map.

I don’t enjoy having my time wasted, and this goes back to my initial complaint regarding unnecessary screen clutter being forced on me by another player and my inability to remove it. As far as I’m concerned, either commander icons need to auto-disable when leaving PvP maps, or players need to have a UI option to remove your commander icon from their display.

Until that happens, you’re probably always going to see some irritated whispers when you forget to turn it off outside of PvP zones. Think of it as driving around with your high-beams on.

Commander Icon Hatred?

Posted by: Vanecrox.5094

Vanecrox.5094

As a commander it is probably a better solution to rise above the occasion and handle it with grace and dignity. I know it’s a lot to ask for people in the leadership position in a game, but whether in reality or a game, you should not let it bother you. People are always going to be somewhat rebellious, and even act aberrant of their normal behavior, when faced with a person in a leadership role.

However, some people are not just trying to expose a hole your armor. Some people genuinely find it annoying to have blue diamonds moving about their screen when they’re trying to look at their map. Again, it’s all about handling the situation and not getting mad about it. You can either take the time to explain why it is on, thank them and turn it off, or simply ignore them. In any event, it exposes a commanders weakness of character if they have to complain about would-be followers, in an open forum.

Commander Icon Hatred?

Joseph Skyrim.2470

I’m pretty sure batman got a lot of attention from his parents, considering he was a single child.

Hehe, you’re right ofcourse. That’s why he went off the rails when they died and became Batman. Probably woudn’t have put on the mantle if he didn’t care about them that much.

Ooookay, gotta stop derailling thread with comicbook talk. :P

Commander Icon Hatred?

Fay.2735

As a commander it is probably a better solution to rise above the occasion and handle it with grace and dignity. I know it’s a lot to ask for people in the leadership position in a game, but whether in reality or a game, you should not let it bother you. People are always going to be somewhat rebellious, and even act aberrant of their normal behavior, when faced with a person in a leadership role.

However, some people are not just trying to expose a hole your armor. Some people genuinely find it annoying to have blue diamonds moving about their screen when they’re trying to look at their map. Again, it’s all about handling the situation and not getting mad about it. You can either take the time to explain why it is on, thank them and turn it off, or simply ignore them. In any event, it exposes a commanders weakness of character if they have to complain about would-be followers, in an open forum.

And I have done so thus far but after so many of such whispers I thought it worthy of discussion to remove some of the misconception surrounding commanders, that not all of us try to be annoying, that some of us might forget to turn it off at times and why that is so easy to do.

As for weakness of character. I don’t think caring that your community acts disrespectfully towards others through either ignorance or something that perhaps should be addressed by Anet and something that could be improved upon as a sign of ‘weakness’

But rather a desire to improve community relations and perhaps the road to a solution. Being quiet about it isn’t going to change the problem. Calling someone weak for bringing up the discussion on an open forum isn’t going to help resolve it. The problem is there for both sides of the coin.

(edited by Fay.2735)

Commander Icon Hatred?

Lunar Sunset.8742

Best advice I have to give about the trolls who insult you, don’t ignore them, just report them. Don’t say anything back, because if you respond, it’s just what they wanted from you. Just kindly report them to arena net, and they will hand out a suspension to the person and then after they stopped talking to you then put them on your block list.

Sunset
50/50 GWAMM x3
I quit how I want

Commander Icon Hatred?

Mayam.8976

To clarify, I could care less where a commander is with their pin activated. The one thing I take issue with is people who bought a bunch of gold and bought a pin and then go stomping around WvW with no intention or ability to really lead or even participate toward an actual victory there. It only serves to confuse.

I won’t cuss someone out in /w for having a pin activated in LA or anywhere else, nor will I infer any personality flaws from it. I won’t say the first word to them because I simply, completely, 100%, do not care. It incites neither a positive or negative emotional response from me. It incites literally no reaction at all. I can truly say that I really can NOT care less.

Somewhere, right now on the continent of Africa there is an ant hill with a bunch of ants probably living in it – I care more about those ants than I do anyone having a commander’s pin active outside of the WvW maps, a LOT more relatively. If by some mystic circumstance I was offered a choice to have the ability to turn every commander’s pin in the entire GW2 playing universe on or off at my whim, or to extend the life of just one of those ants by 5 mins – that’s a lucky ant with 5 more minutes of being an ant to enjoy

If I have been in ANY way unclear about my feelings, or utter lack there of more to the point, concerning commander’s icons on the map, please let me know and I will exhaust dozens upon dozens of obscure metaphors to be sure we’re crystal clear on how much I DON’T care.

(edited by Mayam.8976)

Commander Icon Hatred?

Posted by: Bluestone.7106

Bluestone.7106

They are an eyesore on the minimap but that’s not a big deal. Was only a PITA for me when there was a dozen commander icons clogging the map in LA during the intial lost shores karka invasion. Prevented players from finding the NPC to turn items in to and also covered the fist icons showing where the big enemies were. Other than such times it’s an eyesore but no big deal.

My homeworld is Blackgate.
I am a GW2 player in New Zealand.
Check me out on the GW2 wiki.