Commander Tag - Not a vanity feature!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Noobix.3958

Noobix.3958

The news that the commander tag would be getting a rework in the form of additional colours delighted me. “Great!” i thought, “This is going to be fantastic for splitting groups at wurm and establishing visual clarity for the players or setting offensive and defensive stacks for Tequatl!” Then I read the caveat that each individual colour would be 300g to unlock.

I cannot begin to describe the disbelief I have for the level of misunderstanding that the Arenanet developers are showing here. Absolutely nobody who uses the commander tag in any serious way thinks of it is a ‘vanity feature’. The logic of locking away such basic functionality as this (that should have been present since day 1) behind a gold sink is unfathomable to me.

Aside from the very few and very specific uses in PvE, additional commander tag colours in WvW could potentially change the gamemode entirely. Think of a meta established in which the red tag denotes an offensive commander, blue defensive, yellow is a scout and so on. Something as simple as selectable commander tag colours could revolutionize WvW.

To the people who are suggesting “300g is too much, maybe 10g or something per colour?”. I’m sorry but no. Again, this defeats the purpose of having different colours. If they do this they may as well start charging us to open our inventories, use a utility, open the options menu. This is basic functionality. Do not let them get the notion that locking away functionality is ok.

The commander tag is not a vanity item. It is not a supershiny that you use as a money sink for players who farm too much. It is basic functionality that allows much of the game to work.

Arenanet, your commander tag system is the glue that keeps much of the playerbase interested at the moment. Whether thats PvE players doing hardcore events or WvW. Stop kittening around with it and take it seriously. I am posting this here as I feel the commander tag is valuable in PvE just as much as it is in WvW, regardless of what WvWers think.

For some reason, one of the most insightful comments on reddit about the WvW side of this was downvoted to hell. Ill leave it here

I’d also like to leave a copy of the closing post by Isiah Cartwright on the WvW CDI for your reference. It would seem that Izzy took the main points from the CDI very well. Why did this happen?

Anet please rethink this.

EDIT: I would like to clarify that I have no issue with the gold cost by itself. Frankly I couldnt care about the method to obtain the tag. If it was 500g + 10k BoH + 2 mil karma I’d be totally fine with it. Most people agree the comm tag needs a higher barrier to entry so only the people who are serious about using it will commit. What i have issue with is parceling up its functionality piecemeal to be sold individually. I would still have issue with this if each colour was just 10g.

EDIT2: Removed ragey directed criticisms of ‘person(s) responsible’.

(edited by Noobix.3958)

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Wasn’t the 15 or something other threads about the exact same subject enough?

We get it. People dislike when stuff doesn’t happen exactly like they want it to happen. But the fact remains that ArenaNet sits on the numbers, they have a better understanding of the economy of the game and stuffs like that than anyone of us here on the forums.

Maybe they simply figured out that making the tags account-bound would remove such a high amount of gold removal even with the increased price that they had to add alternatives?

And please, don’t talk for the community as a whole, since you quite clearly don’t speak for everyone.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Romek.4201

Romek.4201

it is a vanity feature

just look in lionsarch^^

Posted by: Kjeldoran.3849

Kjeldoran.3849

it is a vanity feature

just look in lionsarch^^

wooooooooooa i think… what if 100-200 ppl organize a meeting in a map and created a multicolor pixelated image on the map? … XD

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

it is a vanity feature

just look in lionsarch^^

It takes stepping outside Lion’s Arch to see it’s not.

20 level 80s and counting.

Noobix.3958

@lordkrall

I don’t intend to speak for the community as a whole. I am pretty much only echoing the dissent coming from the rest of the community. Yes this is yet another thread in the glut of 15+ other threads in this and the WvW forum. But we all know Anet only look at numbers and volume of posts rather than content.

lordkrall.7241

How is: “The community will not stand for it.” not talking for the community as a whole?

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Noobix.3958

How is: “The community will not stand for it.” not talking for the community as a whole?

Its pretty evident the community is up in arms about it. But I’ll edit my first post if it makes you feel better.

lordkrall.7241

Its pretty evident the community is up in arms about it. But I’ll edit my first post if it makes you feel better.

Some parts of the community.
But then again, some parts of the community is up in arms about every single thing every announced or talked about.

It is mainly the same people writing in all of those threads complaining about this change after all, so I wouldn’t really say the community overall (not even the forum one) is up in arms about it.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Noobix.3958

I would argue that for your average player, they are totally unaffected by the change and dont care. But for people who derive enjoyment from the game by organizing Wurm or Tequatl or WvW raids, they are rightly (and i’d expect them to be) up in arms about this change. For the people that understand the level of effort required for this level of organisation, the people that understand how woefully under-developed the commander system is, they should be sharpening their pitchforks and lighting their torches.

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

Commander Tag is there for WvWvW. It should’ve been disabled in PvE long, long time ago.

I might add that the price won’t change much. People will still buy it and use as a vanity item.

Commander Tag progress should be done with successful actions, badges and WvWvW voting once a week/month.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

Noobix.3958

Commander Tag is there for WvWvW. It should’ve been disabled in PvE long, long time ago.

I might add that the price won’t change much. People will still buy it and use as a vanity item.

Commander Tag progress should be done with successful actions, badges and WvWvW voting once a week/month.

I just gave examples of instances in which the commander tag is used in PvE. It is not an exclusively WvW function. Players with this narrow view on it hurt the game because they don’t see the bigger picture and force the devs down the wrong path.

Posted by: Kibazuka.1390

Kibazuka.1390

I just gave examples of instances in which the commander tag is used in PvE. It is not an exclusively WvW function. Players with this narrow view on it hurt the game because they don’t see the bigger picture and force the devs down the wrong path.

There is zero need for commander tags in tequatl, wurm or any sort of pve instance

Ranger – Drakkar Lake[DE]
Full melee Ranger since August 2012

Posted by: luzt.7692

luzt.7692

In WvW it isn’t needed either, just be in ts3 and you know where to go.

Posted by: AtlasSi.9130

AtlasSi.9130

There is zero need for commander tags in tequatl, wurm or any sort of pve instance

Once this change hits…I plan to turn my tag on and announce in map chat “I’m mapping and doing all random events join in if you’d like to.” I have before and I actually pulled people to me and we all had tons of fun…In return it helps the newer players that don’t know much about gw2 yet…but that is zero need for a use?

18 80s | 12 100% | r177 | wvw r970 | 9,000+ hours
BP → DR → FA → Mag → BP → FA

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

Once this change hits…I plan to turn my tag on and announce in map chat “I’m mapping and doing all random events join in if you’d like to.” I have before and I actually pulled people to me and we all had tons of fun…In return it helps the newer players that don’t know much about gw2 yet…but that is zero need for a use?

That’s what you do, not what commanders do in general. You use your tag as a helpful tool to show new people around. Others use theirs for guild outings. Mostly though, in my observations of a year and a half of playing, that many pve commanders are supreme kittens. So congratulations for not being in that group.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

Mostly though, in my observations of a year and a half of playing, that many pve commanders are supreme kittens.

Many cops in my country are bad. Does it mean there should be no police in my country?

20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

It’s clear you haven’t been doing a lot of Wurm or Teq events.

Also, i agree with the OP. I don’t get why is that the devs, when they get to introduce features that people ask for, feel the need to do it in the most aggravating way possible. They should really stop doing that, because everytime it happens, i start to think that what they want is not to improve the game, but to kitten the players over.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Except for guild missions to get people to where you are on a map, or even see if other people are on the same map…can you see my commander tag. Coordinating multiple events in Dry Top. They were pretty good for the Scarlet Invasions too.

Commander Tags help people who don’t know find out where to be. Are you suggesting the only people who don’t know where to be play WvW?

Just curious.

zenleto.6179

Mostly though, in my observations of a year and a half of playing, that many pve commanders are supreme kittens.

Many cops in my country are bad. Does it mean there should be no police in my country?

What’s that got to with anything?

Posted by: Artaz.3819

Artaz.3819

ANet don’t get it…

4-5 tags of different colors.

First blue costs 100 gold
Yellow costs 5000 WvW badges
Green costs 1000 dungeon tokens or 1000 fractal relics
Red costs 300 gold / rank 30 PvP
Purple costs 800 gems

etc.

Everyone wins, more fun and encourages cross-game type play (yes, gem store too).

zenleto.6179

ANet don’t get it…

First blue costs 100 gold
Red costs 300 gold / rank 30 PvP
Purple costs 800 gems

etc.

Everyone wins, more fun and encourages cross-game type play (yes, gem store too).

One of the best suggestions of the last few hours.

Posted by: Zephyron.7081

Zephyron.7081

LOL, zenleto, it is an analogy…a good one too.

OMG, the OP is spot on! The commander tag is extremely useful in both PvE and WvW.

Colored commander tags will absolutely revolutionize the level of strategy and coordination in WvW. Period.

Maybe, instead of a gold sink to obtain the tags, Anet should implement a WvW rank requirement to get one. As of now it is only 100g and 250 tags, easy and proves nothing. Let it be based on actual time in WvW via rank, not gold.

As for PvE, raise it to 200g, add 25,000 karma and for additional colors make them karma based.

With that said, ArenaNet does not screw over players, because players are customers. However, they do need to make money. This is a business, not a charity. Maybe, Anet could offer, in addition to the suggestion above, a Commander Bundle that could be directly bought with gems.

zenleto.6179

No! It’s a terrible one.

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

ANet don’t get it…

blue costs 100 gold
Red costs rank 30 PvP
Purple costs 800 gems

etc.

I like it,but then it wouldn’t be a gold sink :P

Kibazuka.1390

Except for guild missions to get people to where you are on a map, or even see if other people are on the same map…can you see my commander tag. Coordinating multiple events in Dry Top. They were pretty good for the Scarlet Invasions too.

Commander Tags help people who don’t know find out where to be. Are you suggesting the only people who don’t know where to be play WvW?

Just curious.

Ive done more than enough Tequatl, Wurm and Guild Missions.

All commander tags do is promote braindead play and prevent learning.
Ive seen people that have done tequatl multiple times yet dont have actually a kitten clue where they have to stand if there is no tag out. Plus new players dont have to ask things either and can go straight to the tags, lowering player communication.
Life sure is easy if you dont have to think for your own and can just follow a tag like glue. But it shouldnt be easy, you have seen the disastrous results of that behavior at the crown pavillion. Nowadays if you dont have tags it is almost impossible to properly manage pugs in a large scale encounter, but they arent needed at all, the average player simply forgot how to think.
If there would never been tags in pve i can assure you it wouldnt be a problem at all and the average skilllevel of the people regarding larce scale encounters would be a lot higher

So yes, i suggest large scale combat to be for people who can think, communicate and learn on their own, aka for “people who know”

Posted by: grifflyman.8102

grifflyman.8102

Wasn’t the 15 or something other threads about the exact same subject enough?

We get it. People dislike when stuff doesn’t happen exactly like they want it to happen. But the fact remains that ArenaNet sits on the numbers, they have a better understanding of the economy of the game and stuffs like that than anyone of us here on the forums.

Maybe they simply figured out that making the tags account-bound would remove such a high amount of gold removal even with the increased price that they had to add alternatives?

And please, don’t talk for the community as a whole, since you quite clearly don’t speak for everyone.

No, you’re wrong. Forums are the only place the community has to talk to the developers. The enormous amount of outcry over this topic warrants people creating new threads left and right. The community has spoken, if it didn’t bother you then go on your way, but please don’t complain about people using a forum for what it was designed for: communication.

Just my 2 cents.

Vayne.8563

Just curious.

Ive seen people that have done tequatl multiple times yet dont have actually a kitten clue where they have to stand if there is no tag out. Plus new players dont have to ask things either and can go straight to the tags, lowering player communication.
Life sure is easy if you dont have to think for your own and can just follow a tag like glue. But it shouldnt be easy, you have seen the disastrous results of that behavior at the crown pavillion. Nowadays if you dont have tags it is almost impossible to properly manage pugs in a large scale encounter, but they arent needed at all, the average player simply forgot how to think.
If there would never been tags in pve i can assure you it wouldnt be a problem at all and the average skilllevel of the people regarding larce scale encounters would be a lot higher

So yes, i suggest large scale combat to be for people who can think, communicate and learn on their own, aka for “people who know”

And people wonder why more people don’t PvP. This is the reason.

The PvP mindset drives people away, and then wonders why game decisions aren’t made based on them. It’s because less people PvP. Because you’re not encouraging people TO play well.

Different people need different amounts of help.

Kibazuka.1390

Wat. Pvp has nothing to do with anything

Posted by: Knaifhogg.5964

Knaifhogg.5964

Just curious.

You’re playing a casual MMO where people click their skill bar and the end game is designing your characters’ outfits, and your suggestion to people who want to participate in as much content as possible is “git gud”. People work for a living and take care of their family, come online every now and then and your attitude is that they don’t deserve to participate in content. Be more exclusive.

Posted by: GoldenTruth.2853

GoldenTruth.2853

Simple solution is to have it so there are 2 different commander tags; one for WvW other for PvE.

The WvW commander tag could be purchased for 100 World Ability Points. This would make it so WvW commanders would need to have at least a general knowledge of WvW (unlike badges of honor, or even worse, gold). This also provides disincentive if you don’t plan on leading in WvW since you would be wasting 100 World Ability Points better spent elsewhere. This tag would be characterbound since it is tied to each character’s unique WvW ability track.

The PvE commander tag could either be purchasable a variety of ways such as 300 gold, 200 guild commendations, 1 million karma, 10k achievement points, etc, as long as there is more than one way to get it via PvE. The PvE tag would also need to be accountbound.

Anet would then issue a refund to all players, while removing commander tags from everyone. This is because exclusively WvW commanders won’t care about the PvE commander tag.

All tags would have the ability to change colors on the fly, simply because the purpose of changing colors isn’t a status symbol for having gold, but as a means of organizing the population.

Only problem I see with this is that rather than being a nonsensical gold sink, commander tags would return gold to the populace because of the refund. This would hypothetically be alleviated since the gold price of buying a PvE commander tag would still have gone up. Other than that, both WvW and PvE players should be happy.

Alara Vesmir – Guardian
Tyr Sylvison – Warrior
Illyiah – Revenant

(edited by GoldenTruth.2853)

Posted by: Lheimroo.2947

Lheimroo.2947

It’s sadly hilarious.

First thing I thought was ‘Great! New Feature patch! How’re they gonna screw us this time?’

Face it; Anet has a track record of turning things that sound cool into voracious insults.

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

I think the advanced colors should require DONATIONS from members of your squad.

How about we reward actually being a good Commander than just letting any yahoo BUY them? Not that I could do any better, but It would be nice to know if someone claiming to be a self-appointed leader is competent or not.

As for, “the community will not stand for it!!”….gotta love a good barking dog….

Face it; Anet has a track record of turning things that sound cool into voracious insults.

Taking a added feature (no matter how poorly implemented) as a “voracious insult”, is a personal perception issue you should look into further.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

(edited by Brother Grimm.5176)

Posted by: Soinetwa.5193

Soinetwa.5193

I think the advanced colors should require DONATIONS from members of your squad.

How about we reward actually being a good Commander than just letting any yahoo BUY them? Not that I could do any better, but I’m sick of realizing how inept the sell appointed leader is after 10 minutes…..

As for, “the community will not stand for it!!”….gotta love a good barking dog….

Taking a added feature (no matter how poorly implemented) as a “voracious insult”, is a personal perception issue you should look into altering.

two commanders want to have another colour
one joins the other pays him the new colour and reverse

putcome both have bought a colour…
wow stll just something too easy to obtain

sure because of posers thisll become a huge goldsink
and due to inflation now 300gold isnt tat much anymore
really.. it shouldve been much more

id just wish some right klick i dont want to see THIS commander anymore
or a i dont want to see any commanders anymore
anyway..

i think overall its okay for anet to rise the price
its quite nice that they told us that be4hand actually^^

AtlasSi.9130

anyway..

1,500g is the right price for all 5 colors? LOL?

Posted by: TurtleofPower.5641

TurtleofPower.5641

It’s a vanity feature now. Those farmlords with 10 legendary weapons just had the vapors about nothing else to buy. Finally something new for them.

/sarcasm

Horrible idea.

Vayne.8563

It’s a vanity feature now. Those farmlords with 10 legendary weapons just had the vapors about nothing else to buy. Finally something new for them.

/sarcasm

Horrible idea.

Yep, I agree with this. They should make a new type of tag called a pretentious tag and sell THAT for 300 gold.

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

In WvW it isn’t needed either, just be in ts3 and you know where to go.

Wha???….. Many of us in the WvW community have been asking for colored pins. Thus, why would we be asking if there wasn’t a NEED for them?

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

This is basic functionality.

No it isn’t. It is optional, or even advanced, functionality. If it were basic functionality we would not be able to play the game without it…and yet we have been doing so for two years now.

Thus, why would we be asking if there wasn’t a NEED for them?

People ask for things they do not need all of the time.

Posted by: Eric.6109

Eric.6109

You have raised a very valid point. Doing big events and WvW where you have commanders to organize things is much more fun and usually more successful.

/sign

a.net: I will not be buying gems with cash until you fix traits.

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

They treat commander tags like getting a collection of Ferrari cars.

Want a red Ferrari? Buy a red Ferrari.
Want a yellow Ferrari? Buy a yellow Ferrari.

But thing is, colors are not for show. They are to tell commanders apart. To tell people that people around your badge are doing something different. A means of communication.

It should be just like getting to drive in the first place, regardless of car.

Want to drive? Get a driver’s license and a car. ANY car.

Want to indicate you are doing something different? Switch the turn lights on in your Ford Fiesta.

You don’t need a freaking Ferrari Testarossa for that!

And colors are not enough. There has to be shapes too. And for little or no additional cost. So people with trouble telling colors apart can still tell them apart with shapes.

Want to have vanity in commander tags no matter what?

Ok, then get a free set of 1-5 icons, then make any additional vanity icons with fancy shapes and decorations cost more.

But at least 5 colors and at least 5 shapes must be a one-time unlock.
One that doesn’t require cash, but passing tests.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

(edited by MithranArkanere.8957)

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Commander Tags are for egotists who believe paying 100, soon to be 300g gives them the right to bark orders at players. There is no skill required. I could by one right now but I’m an idiot when it comes to WvW. I shouldn’t have one. Having one would draw players to me expecting me to led them to glorious victory.

There should be a minimum WvW rank requirement along with the cost if the point is for them to have some kind of meaning other than “I rich you know”.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

Posted by: Soinetwa.5193

Soinetwa.5193

anyway..

1,500g is the right price for all 5 colors? LOL?

well.. yeah
do you really need all colours?
i think not many colours will be purchased afterall
tequatl or other events with several commaders do work kinda well

especially in wvw where u join his squad and dont see other commanders

so.. do u really think u NEED to buy all colours?

as someone else stated “we dont need red ferrari yellow ferrari etc we only want it to work”

id say
as it is now it does work
even if everyone drives a blue ford

red ferrari yellow ferrari are optional
and some people will use this to show off

(just like there were and still are enough people who does the same thing with current “cheap commanders” so.. yeah why not? )

Posted by: fadeaway.2807

fadeaway.2807

is the first tag you buy still blue or will we be given 1 option?
what if we already have a tag?

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Raising the price to make them account bound I understand.

Not making an interface to allow you to select icon and color as requested but instead offer just 5 iFruity colors you can buy as well really does sound like a gold grab. It was a quality of WvW issue but instead you turned it into a product. Shame on you.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Hayashi.3416

Hayashi.3416

Tequatl tags are used to show turrets where to drop cleanses/might and the zerg where double damage melee spots are. The AoE circles in the water are otherwise very hard to see in the middle of particle effects 3600 units away under water, and they have no idea where to drop buffs on in a horde of cyan names.

Triple wurm tags are used in phase 1 for dd to little effect, but are absolutely critical for phase 2 to show players where to stand so the decap wurmhead doesn’t charge off to Cuba.

Dry Top tags are used to show where the zergs should be for main events, while smaller parties/soloists handle fringe events like Serene.

If you have no knowledge of commanding, don’t speak as if you do.

AtlasSi.9130

well.. yeah
do you really need all colours?
i think not many colours will be purchased afterall

Yeah your right. Because no one is going to be stupid enough to buy 2 of the same thing at that price.

so.. do u really think u NEED to buy all colours?

as someone else stated “we dont need red ferrari yellow ferrari etc we only want it to work”

id say
as it is now it does work
even if everyone drives a blue ford

red ferrari yellow ferrari are optional
and some people will use this to show off

(just like there were and still are enough people who does the same thing with current “cheap commanders” so.. yeah why not? )

I do believe having all the colors is a great thing. Having the ability to change your color on the fly will massively improve wvw and coordinated pve content. Just to reiterate..I did not say multi-colors is needed. Just help to help improve.
Example :
Blue com – Has 50 people
Red com – Has 30 people
Solution – Blue send 10 people over to red. Now they both have 40 and can be more efficient. This can be applied in WvW and PvE..since anet is giving us content that requires us to work together in coordinated content.
Another example :
Guilds on reset night…Each guild has their drivers tag up a different color to improve the coordination between each other.
Different colors being the insane price of 300g each defeats the purpose of these things. As for showing off…that is going to happen regardless…I can’t stop it and neither can anyone else.
In all honesty I wouldn’t care if they took everyone’s tag away…reimbursed us our gold..and made us buy a completely new one with all the new color changing feature.

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

I support the stance taken by the OP.

My two cents.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Posted by: grifflyman.8102

grifflyman.8102

I totally agree with what the OP has said. This system offers a chance to change the way WvW is played but instead of adding it as a feature they’ve decided to charge the community for it.

“You have a tag”
“Yea a blue one….”
“Oh me too…”
“Okay, bye…”

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

is the first tag you buy still blue or will we be given 1 option?
what if we already have a tag?

From what I’ve read is that you don’t have to start with blue (though if you buy it before the patch, it’ll be 100g instead of 300g for the blue).

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…