Commander feature I would like to see

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Coodles.6198

Coodles.6198

You know how Commanders can see up multiple waypoints and markers on the map for their squad to see? I think it would be handy that the marker wouldn’t only show on the map, but would actually make a color pillar of light (or something along those lines) that show up on the actual terrain for squad-mates to see and have reference for.

Something similar to the way personal and living story markers have, just in different colors so Commanders can coordinate better. I think this would add better functionality that encourages people to join squads more. Not only in WvW fights and defense, but it could help loads with world bosses and setup.

Having a visual such as this I feel would be an improvement over just map markers.

(NA) (HoD) Leader of Cherry [BOMB]! Now recruiting new/experienced players!

(edited by Coodles.6198)

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

meh, no.

I have no problem joining a squad if I want to..and following the squad. Neither do other players.
Those that dont, dont want to..and wont want to see some random colour pillar on the terrain.

Posted by: Oranisagu.3706

Oranisagu.3706

one of ANets big selling points was how they don’t want the players to play the ui but feel immersed in the world. checking/placing icons on the minimap is pretty much playing the ui.
so yeah, an ingame representation would certainly be nice. as they’re only visible for people joining the squad, those who dislike them, can simply leave the squad, but I think it’d still be best if they could be disabled in the settings.

my only concern is the placement. if you place them on the minimap it’s going to be hard to find the exact spot – a ground targeted ability as an alternative to place markers would probably be a useful. a possible solution for example would be to add a keybinding which turns the skillbar into some commander skills for placement of markers and other useful stuff and goes back to normal gameplay once a skill has been used (like a 1-charge conjure weapon). a commander could use this even midfight relatively fast.