Commander icons on mini-map in PvE?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

What’s the point of having Commander icons on mini-map in PvE?

Bragging rights, “look at me”, “I gotz more moneyz than you” , ego or simply plain old forgetfulness…. why does it even make a difference to you anyway.

Posted by: Boatdrinks.2546

Boatdrinks.2546

We use them for guild missions quite a bit. My kitten is bigger than your commander tag anyway.

Posted by: nachtnebel.9168

nachtnebel.9168

They are very helpful during bounty hunts.

Salix Babylonica (Necro), Tharnath (Guardian), N Faculty (Mesmer),
Occam Pi (Ele), Acaena Elongata (Warrior), Finja Salversdotir (Ranger),
Bytestream (Engineer), Vim Whitespace (Thief)

Posted by: Rafiee.2935

Rafiee.2935

It’s helpful in the orr areas when players are looking where to go for events because commanders are usually running event chains in those areas at least on my server

http://feverclan.com/forums/forum.html
LvL 80 Ranger on Sea of Sorrow’s
Fever Clan[FC] Guild Leader

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

My guild uses commander tags during Guild missions quite frequently. Different people are scouting different zones for bounties and when we find out which ones we have, they’re often not near a waypoint. So we have to get everyone together as fast as possible.

When no commanders are on (we only have a couple in the guild), then we have to resort to trying to describe where we are.

Run south from the waypoint…south-south east, but you have to go left around the big rock. ..where are you I can’t find you…We’re more east now and heading directly east

It’s so much easier with a commander.

Posted by: JoxerNL.3752

JoxerNL.3752

I dont see why the non-commander folks can simply “turn it off”, if im in PvE i dont need a big blue blob on my map, certainly if they aren’t my guildleader or anything, so it’s just clutter basically, let me turn it off in PvE!

Posted by: Amadan.9451

Amadan.9451

also whatever commander writes in the map can be seen by all his/her squad.
very useful besides when you do guild mission with allied guild so it’s easier to spot people.
also useful since you can have squad chat and can be extended to people not in guild avoiding useless spam in map chat, useful also because party are only for 5 players and you can’t see guildies dots on map, but at least you can see your commander.

i am not a commander myself (one of my officer is), but i think that people not commanding complaining about active commanders in pve are just jealous because they couldn’t yet buy the title for themselves and rant about them showing off they have money instead of reasons to have the icon active.

last but not least insulting adults it’s not outsmarting them, it’s just insulting!

Looking for a gay friendly guild?
Join the Rainbow Pride

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

They can be used for a few good reasons.

You can display it to let people know someone is nearby if they need a res for example. Also in southsun today I was using it a lot to let people know where events were since the question was being asked every 5 seconds in chat.

Use your imagination as to how they can be used…..

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Scumbag Mawile.6384

Scumbag Mawile.6384

So I can channel my PvE commander powers and utilize superior tier 1 tactics to lead all of our player vs. dumb AI conquests to victory.

EVERYONE STACK ON DEISEL

Disciple of Quag

Posted by: nesh.7234

nesh.7234

Don’t mind them, they can be useful when running event chains as people tend to flock to them (www crowd especially, I even catch myself few times stacking by reflex).

Maybe there are some examples of “look at me” but IMHO most of people using it to help others organize.

EU / Aurora Glade

Posted by: Aylaine.1036

Aylaine.1036

I wear mine for map awareness if I’m giving bags away (Queensdale), in karka land farming/calling events (SSC), Guild Bounties, Temple Events/Nodes (Orr) Dorritos Arch (AFK in LA) and, when I learn enough, WvW too.

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

They have special powers.

Posted by: hoewhoew.4619

hoewhoew.4619

The commander tag is really helpful when you are doing a guild event (guild bounty or not).

As a guild leader it comes out very handy, all my guildmembers can follow me pretty easy if we do an explorer event, living story or things like that.

Guardians of the Silver Dragons – Piken Square

Posted by: Yalora Istairiea.6287

Yalora Istairiea.6287

Not a fan of the Blue Icon in PvE either.
I can surely see how they are very useful in WvW but in my opinion, that is where they need to stay.

I have maxed my 5 characters to 80 now and I just don’t NEED a Blue Dot Trahearne to tell me where I need to go.

Easiest fix in my book, just let everyone turn OFF the Commander option if they choose. That way, if you don’t want to see the icons, poof their gone and none the wiser.

As a supplemental point: Imagine if you will, when GW2 gets a few years under their belt and a majority have money to spare, what is going to happen?

100gp is going to be a drop in the bucket even for the Non-farmers. As an example, in the original GW, I ended up with more money than my bank could hold so then I filled up all 8 of my characters with the maximum of gold after that I had to start to buy Ecto, then Armbraces, et cetera. My point is I had tons of cash just by playing the game (no farming).

Now imagine what will happen when you port into a map and there are 100 commander icons on the screen. Now imagine they are all on your mini-map. Oh the Humanity (substitute race of your choice here)!

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

I have commander tag, saved 2 months for it, played maybe 1-2 hours daily.
Too bad I got sick of WvW and everything else soon after.

Posted by: hoewhoew.4619

hoewhoew.4619

Not a fan of the Blue Icon in PvE either.
I can surely see how they are very useful in WvW but in my opinion, that is where they need to stay.

I have maxed my 5 characters to 80 now and I just don’t NEED a Blue Dot Trahearne to tell me where I need to go.

Easiest fix in my book, just let everyone turn OFF the Commander option if they choose. That way, if you don’t want to see the icons, poof their gone and none the wiser.

As a supplemental point: Imagine if you will, when GW2 gets a few years under their belt and a majority have money to spare, what is going to happen?

100gp is going to be a drop in the bucket even for the Non-farmers. As an example, in the original GW, I ended up with more money than my bank could hold so then I filled up all 8 of my characters with the maximum of gold after that I had to start to buy Ecto, then Armbraces, et cetera. My point is I had tons of cash just by playing the game (no farming).

Now imagine what will happen when you port into a map and there are 100 commander icons on the screen. Now imagine they are all on your mini-map. Oh the Humanity (substitute race of your choice here)!

And there you have a point
Ofcourse it is handy for guilds and maybe event chains or something like that, but like you say, you should be able to turn it off.

It may be no problem at the moment, but, as the game goes on, this will change. More and more players will buy it for their guild, WvW or just for the status it provides.

Altough i think that some of the players with the tag (like me) don’t turn it on in PvE just for fun, and will turn it off when there are too many dots on the map.

Guardians of the Silver Dragons – Piken Square

Posted by: DrixTrix.7168

DrixTrix.7168

Bragging rights, “look at me”, “I gotz more moneyz than you” , ego or simply plain old forgetfulness…. why does it even make a difference to you anyway.

Alot of guilds use them so the whole guild or multiple groups know where the pack leader is heading.

it’s used as organisation but yes some people do use it as bragging rights, those people however generally do not have a clue.

Posted by: MrKnieves.4162

MrKnieves.4162

Super useful, specially in Orr. When I map into orr I usually look for a tag to find the action or temple events running, if no one is using it I pop mine up. If someone doesn’t like it tough luck.

Zheenn [Warrior] [Commander]| Alondra Del Mar [Thief] | Lorean Alisk [Elemental]
Rough Trade [RTGC]
Crystal Desert

Posted by: Beorn Saxon.4762

Beorn Saxon.4762

Yesterday when Southsun went live, TC had commanders at all of the samples and events so ppl could quickly find stuff. It was great!

Tarnished Coast
Critical Impact [Crit]

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

They are needed for guild missions.
They help in events

and stuff like that

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Posted by: JoxerNL.3752

JoxerNL.3752

They are needed for guild missions.
They help in events

and stuff like that

Totally agree for the guild stuff, events, eh so so, honestly why does a wv3 tool get pushed into PvE players face?
If PvE players dont want to use it, they should have the option to simply not have the wv3 tool shown to them, easy fix everyone happy, right?

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

Commandertags are usefull for guildmissions and other guild (or group) activity’s. There is a lot of hate against them and that has mainly to do that it is used by some commanders as the ‘I Am Rich app’ : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Am_Rich

Altough I would very like to be able to block out the last category, I wouldnt want to go without the disadvantages. Maybe a block function per commander??

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

Yesterday on Dragonbrand there were Commanders at several events shouting them out in chat, including one shouting out where to stand for a mesmer portal to the top of the JP.

Great community

Posted by: lynspottery.6529

lynspottery.6529

Personally, I appreciate seeing those icons. I usually join in with the group that is running with that icon because there is a lot going on. However, I think the icon issue will probably solve itself in pve once (if) Anet implements raid sizes for folks instead of these puny 5 person groups.

Don’t get me wrong, 5 person groups are great for just running around. But with a large group of folks doing a run together, without the ability to create raid size groups, the commander icons help immensely.