Commander prefix when a commander speaks

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: WizardLizard.9348

WizardLizard.9348

I’ve noticed with the recent addition of Mentors that a Mentor who speak in the chat will have the tag [Mentor] [Name] : text.

I have been farming World Bosses quite often and one thing I’ve noticed is that when it come to coordination, commander have been almost mandatory (e.g. fighting Teqatl is way more easy hen you have several commanders coordinating the different zones). However when they give orders (either /s or /m), there is no visual indication in the chat that this order come from a commander or not and that would make things way more easy.

Would it be possible to prefix the name of the commander with [Commander] [Name] : text aswell ?

Or is it already an option that I missed ?

Thanks

(edited by WizardLizard.9348)

Posted by: Hannelore.8153

Hannelore.8153

That’s a bit too long, I’d prefer if it was just [Cmd].

Daisuki [SUKI] LGBT-Friendly Guild Leader | NA – Jade Quarry
I’m usually really sweet… but this an internet forum and you know how it has to be.
/i’m a lesbiab… lesbiam… less bien… GIRLS/

Posted by: Garambola.2461

Garambola.2461

It would be good if the tag was the same color as the pin too. Or if they could make a special character that looks like the dorrito for the chat.

WizardLizard.9348

Yes the color is actually a very good idea, it would help a lot more when groups are separated like for triple trouble.

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

I think I’d prefer removing the “Mentor” prefix and not having a Commander one at all. Between Mentors and Commanders there’s already far too much “in your face notice and pay attention to me” ability out there in the general crowd.

You can already tell from all the complaining by commanders about mentor tags that a vast number of Commander tags weren’t bought for any reason other than to say to the entire map “look at me, I spent 300g”.

May I offer an alternative suggestion?
– Allow players to filter out Mentor and Commander tags from their maps.
– What would be even more fantastic is if I could have an option to also just see Commander/Mentor tags from my party/squad/guild/friends list, and not every single one out there.

All Commander/Mentor tags are is map spam. They break immersion. Therefore, an option to not see them should exist.

WizardLizard.9348

I agree with you Chuo, an option to filter out all tag from the map/chat should also be available. I remember as a new player seeing commander tag on the map and not knowing what it meant or what to do.

However, as I stated, for large world event, if you want to ease the coordination/communication accross the map, players should be able to tell from the chat if a commander/mentor is speaking. Given that they want to participate in such events.

Posted by: Drow.2081

Drow.2081

Oh yeah and when there is a fight in EotM between who gets to command this would really be a lot of fun. Omg. Or when everyone decided to pop their dorito chip for fun?

Attachments:

I also post on guildwars2guru.

Posted by: Calcifire.1864

Calcifire.1864

All Commander/Mentor tags are is map spam. They break immersion. Therefore, an option to not see them should exist.

I’d love an option like this for those kitten ridiculous wings, those are FAR more immersion breaking

Posted by: Drow.2081

Drow.2081

I’d love an option like this for those kitten ridiculous wings, those are FAR more immersion breaking

I do not agree with you. I love the wings to death and pieces. Especially butterfly wings on a badboy looking big Charr. Esp when they don’t match his outfit! To bad I didn’t take his picture – didn’t think about it at the time.

Immersion breaking. Lolz.

I also post on guildwars2guru.

Posted by: Calcifire.1864

Calcifire.1864

I do not agree with you. I love the wings to death and pieces. Especially butterfly wings on a badboy looking big Charr. Esp when they don’t match his outfit! To bad I didn’t take his picture – didn’t think about it at the time.

the butterfly wings are great, just not the big black feathered wings that look like they belong on a character called xfourtwentysephirotx

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

This is where the OPTION to not see them would be nice. You like them, someone else doesn’t. Each to his own.

Posted by: Lord Trejgon.2809

Lord Trejgon.2809

the butterfly wings are great, just not the big black feathered wings that look like they belong on a character called xfourtwentysephirotx

and now I wonder when I missed butterfly wings…

on topic though – I don’t mind comms getting such a treatment but only if it comes with the color thing to be able to tell the difference between each of them….

“-Shield is meant to be broken!”
“-and on this occasion I keep mine plate armors”
discussion about offensive/deffensive playstyles

Posted by: hoewhoew.4619

hoewhoew.4619

During BW3, when we were able to test the new squad UI (coming in a few weeks) commanders did have a visual indiciation. Just like with Mentor now, when a commander would speak it would simply put “commander” in front of their name.

So I believe you will get this feature soon, when they release the first raid wing and the commander UI.

Guardians of the Silver Dragons – Piken Square

Posted by: smiling.9028

smiling.9028

I wish there was a way to block anyone using the new titles in chat, all it means is they spent 5hrs in CoF killing braziers and as a rule they don’t have a clue what they are doing.

Posted by: Two.1627

Two.1627

If they give us this option we need an option to hide commander/mentor tags and this new Mentor:name thing. Heck I’d pay 301g to have that option.

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

and now I wonder when I missed butterfly wings…

on topic though – I don’t mind comms getting such a treatment but only if it comes with the color thing to be able to tell the difference between each of them….

Butterfly wings are on sale right now with 7 days left.

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

WizardLizard.9348

I’ve always thought that allowing to notice when a commander is speaking would be a good addition even before ANet released HoT and the Mentorship. I hope we can get something working like Mentorship soon aswell as an option to reduce chat and map noice.

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

well…

I’d appreciate the commander to be added it would be usefull in WvW, and the mentor tag.. Well it’s nice but today I had someone wearing the tag asking a very basic question in mapchat…

I was blunt and said: If you’re a mentor you should know the answer to this question, and the tag dissapeared nearly instantly…

Both tags have their use and shouldn’t be misused… now wait for guild missions with whoe guilds tagging up in various tags

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

Posted by: Phy.2913

Phy.2913

Just have the tag (and color) next to the name in chat. I don’t know if the current chat window supports it, but I think that would be the simplest fix.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Nice idea, Phy, it would also take up the least space. They’re able to stick in an ANet logo so maybe a commander tag in chat could happen? I like that better than a longer word … I have a commander tag that I grabbed back when they were 100 gold and about to be 300 gold. I’ve used it for RP coordination and helping run the Halloween maze, usually on my main who has a really long name. I’d prefer not to use up the whole chat line with “Commander Donari Mal Di Bette: (comments).”