Commander tags will become account bound

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Arcadio.6875

Arcadio.6875

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/2djnv8/interview_with_devon_carver_commander_tag_will_be/

-Account bound
-Duplicates will be reimbursed (Edit: Only if you own 4 tags or more)
-Price will go up to 300g

So I guess get one before feature pack if you wanted it.

Edit: Anet posted in that reddit thread.
“Customer Support asked me to clarify that refunds are only given to players owning 4 or more tags. No refunds will be processed prior to Sept. 9. Watch our official forums for further details later today.”

UPDATE 8/20
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/big-changes-are-coming-to-the-commander-system/

Lord Arcadio
League Of Ascending Immortals [OATH]

(edited by Arcadio.6875)

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Hmm… I may actually buy it if this is the case…

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

eek 300g, yeah buy one now

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

Yep gonna go ahead and get one I guess, even though I have no force worthy of commanding.

I’m a little worried that this announcement will suddenly make clear just how many people do have 100g to spend on this.. get ready for the rainbow dorito party

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Posted by: Arcadio.6875

Arcadio.6875

Somewhat related…
http://www.guildmag.com/command-tag-gamescom-2014/

Looks like you have to purchase different color tags individually. If you already have a tag, you don’t have to buy blue again.

Lord Arcadio
League Of Ascending Immortals [OATH]

Andred.1087

Oh, hmm, and each one will be 300g? Yowch. Also sounds like other colors could become even more of a bragging right.

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

I wonder if each color is 300g.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Taygus.4571

“Yes, so each color is purchased individually, and it is important to note that there is no hierarchy for colors so that you have to purchase blue and then have to go to red or yellow or whatever. ..
so if you bought blue already you can go ahead and buy other colors if you want. "

Sounds like they’ll all be the same price.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Wait… so will it convert to account bound in the feature patch or will it be an entirely new item?

Basically if I buy the tag now what happens on the 9th?

Posted by: Edgar Doiron.2804

Edgar Doiron.2804

Now the question is.
If I have 2 tags, after the patch, will I have 1 blue and one color of my choice?

Forgeman Destroyers [FORD] – Sorrows furnace

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

Then we can have special colour offers, Pink only available this week for 500g.
Hehe.

@ Zudet – Your tag will not change the colour but become acc bound.

@ Edgar – sounds more like you get a refund for the second one and then you have to buy the colour of your choice.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

(edited by Rouven.7409)

Taygus.4571

Wait… so will it convert to account bound in the feature patch or will it be an entirely new item?

Basically if I buy the tag now what happens on the 9th?

It is also important to point out that if you already bought a commander tag, it will become account bound so that when you’ve bought a blue commander tag you’ll never have to spend money on that again

Taygus.4571

Now the question is.
If I have 2 tags, after the patch, will I have 1 blue and one color of my choice?

nope, you lose out.

Posted by: captainteemo.6537

captainteemo.6537

Why is this another huge gold sink? 300g? Why not make it something like 3000 badges of honor? At least you know someone worked to earn their tag, more than had extra gold to buy it.

Unless they feel WvW players are too rich as it is.

Posted by: Zui.9245

Zui.9245

Why is this another huge gold sink? 300g? Why not make it something like 3000 badges of honor? At least you know someone worked to earn their tag, more than had extra gold to buy it.

Unless they feel WvW players are too rich as it is.

There exists a Gems → Gold feature.

There exists no Gems → Badges feature.

Things that cost gold are good for the bottom line. Things that cost gold and mostly appeal to the poorest players are even better.

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

I’m confused..

so if you have one commander tag (blue), you won’t be able to access the other colors unless you purchase them? And you won’t get a refund unless you have purchased more than 4?

Guhracie.3419

I’m confused..

so if you have one commander tag (blue), you won’t be able to access the other colors unless you purchase them? And you won’t get a refund unless you have purchased more than 4?

You have to purchase the other colors individually, according to an interview at gamescom, and you won’t get a refund unless you’ve purchased more than 3, because 3=300g, per Chris Cleary on Reddit.

(Edit: I had my sources wrong)

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien

(edited by Guhracie.3419)

Taygus.4571

I’m confused..

the other colours are extras

no one gets access to them unless they buy that specific colour.

The reason for refund at 4+ tags, is because the price is going up, if you’ve only spent 300g (3 tags).. you’re not “losing out”…..

Vol.7601

So the only purpose of buying a blue commander tag right now as opposed to post patch is to save 200g?

Rouven.7409

Would make more sense to give the option to pay the difference. Example exchange 2 tags, pay 100 gold – get another colour.

That aside I find this a bit unflexible, but perhaps they are scared about the amount of gold flowing back into the economy.

Posted by: Fermi.2409

Fermi.2409

So it’s 300g to get another color of tag?

HAF 912 | i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz | MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8GB | Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
EGVA SuperNOVA B2 750W | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | Acer XG270HU | Win 10×64
MX Brown Quickfire XT | Commander Shaussman [AGNY]- Fort Aspenwood

Guhracie.3419

Would make more sense to give the option to pay the difference. Example exchange 2 tags, pay 100 gold – get another colour.

That aside I find this a bit unflexible, but perhaps they are scared about the amount of gold flowing back into the economy.

This hinges on the assumption that each color will also cost 300g. That information hasn’t been released that I’ve seen.

-Mike O’Brien

Rouven.7409

This hinges on the assumption that each color will also cost 300g. That information hasn’t been released that I’ve seen.

The interpretation seems clear to me, the commander tag costs 300g and you can chose the colour. Pretty much in a nutshell.
My assumption would be that the reason you need to have bought 4 tags for the refund is that you will not get a refund in gold, but rather another tag via email (maybe it’s open the tag, then chose the colour, easiest). So you keep blue and exchange the 3 other tags for one new one.

Edit: I would love to listen to the actual interview, but it says on the site they will load it up within the next few days.

(edited by Rouven.7409)

Guhracie.3419

The interpretation seems clear to me, the commander tag costs 300g and you can chose the colour. Pretty much in a nutshell.
My assumption would be that the reason you need to have bought 4 tags for the refund is that you will not get a refund in gold, but rather another tag via email (maybe it’s open the tag, then chose the colour, easiest). So you keep blue and exchange the 3 other tags for one new one.

The german translation (paired with what Chris Cleary clarified) seems to indicate that if you’ve bought more than 3 tags, you’ll get gold back for each one beyond that. My assumption is that they’re not going to refund you unless you’ve paid the full 300g.

-Mike O’Brien

(edited by Guhracie.3419)

Rouven.7409

Sorry, the little snippet in german actually says that anyone who bought more then one will get a refund – now see the new info from Chris on the reddit thread in which he said “an hour ago” only that you only get a refund if you bought 4.

Edit to quote:

Customer Support asked me to clarify that refunds are only given to players owning 4 or more tags. No refunds will be processed prior to Sept. 9. Watch our official forums for further details later today.

More I don’t know either at this point.

Guhracie.3419

Sorry, the little snippet in german actually says that anyone who bought more then one will get a refund – now see the new info from Chris on the reddit thread in which he said “an hour ago” only that you only get a refund if you bought 4.

Yes, I know about what Chris said, but the article does say the refund will come in gold, and Chris didn’t correct that aspect of it.

-Mike O’Brien

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

Edit: I would love to listen to the actual interview, but it says on the site they will load it up within the next few days.

According to the images posted about the change to tags, you can change your color anytime and the refund will most likely be in gold.

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

Rouven.7409

Yes, I know about what Chris said, but the article does say the refund will come in gold, and Chris didn’t correct that aspect of it.

That’s correct – which is exactly why I said that here my assumption is that you will not actually get gold.

What I believe to be clear at this point is that any tag you buy will cost 300g.

Let’s not confuse the refund situation with the new price of the tags? We should have the answer later today in any case.

Rouven.7409

According to the images posted about the change to tags, you can change your color anytime and the refund will most likely be in gold.

Didn’t see the images, that would be the most awesome, although I’m not sure where the number 4 comes from in that case, having bought 3 would make more sense.

Anyways, enough speculation from my side.

Edit: More food for thought

(edited by Rouven.7409)

munkiman.3068

Didn’t see the images, that would be the most awesome, although I’m not sure where the number 4 comes from in that case, having bought 3 would make more sense.

Here is the tidbits, image for the tag is on the bottom.

http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=34887

Rouven.7409

Well the image only shows 4 colours, could be those are only the ones you have unlocked. But thanks!

munkiman.3068

Wow… you have to buy each color… crazy!

Posted by: sirflamesword.3896

sirflamesword.3896

It’s not a huge things because I don’t command alot, but I feel like this is a big middle finger. Oh you wanted commander tags that you could switch color on the fly to be able to tell your server, Red-Defending, Blue-Attacking, etc, Well screw you, you have to pay 300g for it kittens.

Pinnacle of Responsibility[Mom]-Yaks Bend
Unstable Shield, Unstable Light

Posted by: Faux.1937

Faux.1937

Umm 300g for a color tag is way to much gold, It should be something like 10,000 badges +50g + 50 laurels for wvw or something like 5k dungeon tokens + laurels etc…

why make EVERY THING in this game gold base…… we dont need more gold sinks, we need other means to get items so gold isnt as important……

SAB or RIOT

Posted by: Allaraina.8614

Allaraina.8614

Umm 300g for a color tag is way to much gold, It should be something like 10,000 badges +50g + 50 laurels for wvw or something like 5k dungeon tokens + laurels etc…

why make EVERY THING in this game gold base…… we dont need more gold sinks, we need other means to get items so gold isnt as important……

^— I’d prefer that.

My 18 characters are waiting for outfits from GW1 like Tuxedos! WE GOT DWAYNA! =D
http://asuratime.tumblr.com/

Andred.1087

why make EVERY THING in this game gold base……

Well, as someone said above (I think), it is very much in ANet’s interest for people to need gold, since you can buy it with dollars. And of all the things they could encourage people to pay real money for, this is definitely one of the least offensive to casual players. In addition, one might expect the overlap between players interested in commander tags and players interested in buying gems to be decent at least.

(edited by Andred.1087)

Posted by: Faux.1937

Faux.1937

why make EVERY THING in this game gold base……

Well, as someone said above (I think), it is very much in ANet’s interest for people to need gold, since you can buy it with dollars. And of all the things they could encourage people to pay real money for, this is definitely one of the least offensive to casual players. In addition, one might expect the overlap between players interested in commander tags and players interested in buying gems to be decent at least.

I know its b.c of the gem store, the whole system is broken.

SAB or RIOT

Vol.7601

Having more gold sinks doesn’t hurt, especially with the amount of people doing dungeon trains.

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

I just want to know if I can buy a book now and use it after the patch to pick the color, or if the only option you’ll get is blue. If I can buy the book now and get a colored one after the patch that’d be spiffy. There’s no way I can justify 300g for a tag just to use for guild missions….and that’s the only reason I’d be using one.

Posted by: sirflamesword.3896

sirflamesword.3896

Having more gold sinks doesn’t hurt, especially with the amount of people doing dungeon trains.

Ya because it’s the dungeon guys who are buying a ton of commander books…

Pinnacle of Responsibility[Mom]-Yaks Bend
Unstable Shield, Unstable Light

Posted by: Mojo Gris Gris.5941

Mojo Gris Gris.5941

Lame, lame, lame, lame, LAME.

Great change to make it account bound. Fine to increase the price to 300g because of the change.
But another 300g JUST FOR A DIFFERENT COLOR? Come on, man!
Some decisions Anet makes are understandable, but I don’t think I will ever understand how they can be so helpful in some aspects, and yet so completely tone deaf on others. Colors should be able to be changed on the fly ESPECIALLY if someone bought multiple tags previously, and SPECIFICALLY for situations where there are multiple commanders on the map.

Vol.7601

Ya because it’s the dungeon guys who are buying a ton of commander books…

I don’t think it matters where gold faucets/sinks come from, as long as the total rate of gold coming in or out is controlled.

Posted by: uberkingkong.8041

uberkingkong.8041

The way I look at this gold sink is that the gold to gem ratio will get better. Theres a lot of unhappy people that don’t like the current ratio and this should help.

Also, if you have a commander tag already, you have the means and probably already have more than enough gold to buy another tag. There’s a bunch of people running around with tons of gold in there pocket, this is nothing so don’t act like its something. Don’t even pretend 300 gold is way outta your league either, and remember its ACCOUNT BOUND now, so 1 purchase of new color is for ALL your characters. Lastly, this is a way to get gold out of the game and people to convert gems to gold, so its a win win.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Yep gonna go ahead and get one I guess, even though I have no force worthy of commanding.

I’m a little worried that this announcement will suddenly make clear just how many people do have 100g to spend on this.. get ready for the rainbow dorito party

Anyone who does the WB routinely could.
100g is ~ 1 stack of ectos. Shifted off a stack for the gift of whatever not too long ago and I am almost back to 1,000. This is mostly from just doing enough WB to finish daily and occassionally 1 or 2 more and then logging off.

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

Dear Anet:

If a White or Black dorito is in your final color palette, I will gladly farm 300g.

Regards,
[Shameless]

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

Posted by: int randInt return.7810

int randInt return.7810

So far I’ve heard

• no refunds unless you have 4+ tags
  • old tags all become blue
  • have to buy each new color for 300g
    I currently have 3 tags, so the above means I get 0 refund, paid full price for tag, and I get reduced functionality (can’t pick the color I paid for) vs new tags?
    That is… less than ideal.

Posted by: Ignavia.7420

Ignavia.7420

So far I’ve heard

I currently have 3 tags, so the above means I get 0 refund, paid full price for tag, and I get reduced functionality (can’t pick the color I paid for) vs new tags?

Pretty much this. That’s the second time today after the standardized character models where I’m first quite happy about the change and then realize there’s a catch.

Guhracie.3419

So far I’ve heard

Have they stated that each new color will be 300g?

-Mike O’Brien

Posted by: int randInt return.7810

int randInt return.7810

So far I don’t know if there have been official statements, just info from the interview and posted to reddit.
I’d rather get my arguments/views in before anything is finalized.

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Ok…so here’s a question: Do you choose your color when you buy the Compendium or is it when you consume the Compendium? If it’s the latter, then technically, you could buy it now, then not use it until the patch hits to have a shot at a different color.

I doubt it will work out that way, but if you’re buying a tag now and don’t really need it immediately, it may be worth holding onto just in case it works out that way. =P