Commander tags will become account bound

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

As a colorblind, this is gonna be so frustrating.

Imagine two commanders. One with a blue tag and the other with a purple tag (I have trouble with the two colors).

Me: Hey, can you change your tag color? I’m having trouble distinguishing between the two tags coz I’m colorblind.
Commander: Sorry man, thats gonna cost me 300g.

Thats absurd.

PS. Still having trouble seeing red AOE circles. Still no colorblind assist option 2 years after launch. Thanks.

Different shapes instead of just colours would be a good idea, I guess there are no colourblind people in ArenaNet, it’s the reason the guys in Blizzard went with different shapes and colours for their raid target icons.

Posted by: Trinnitty.8256

Trinnitty.8256

Imagine two commanders. One with a blue tag and the other with a purple tag (I have trouble with the two colors).

Me: Hey, can you change your tag color? I’m having trouble distinguishing between the two tags coz I’m colorblind.

Thats absurd.

PS. Still having trouble seeing red AOE circles. Still no colorblind assist option 2 years after launch. Thanks.

About the only option is to join the commanders squad. You wont see any other tags than that commander that way.

Posted by: TheMaskedGamer.5708

TheMaskedGamer.5708

One thing I still don’t get is that if its souldbound after its use? I have o A guardian who is a Commander, and he’s the only one who can do it, but not sure if it now translates to all my other characters as well.

Posted by: Arcadio.6875

Arcadio.6875

They merged the commander topics on the WvW forum, but haven’t responded yet to any questions.

One thing I still don’t get is that if its souldbound after its use? I have o A guardian who is a Commander, and he’s the only one who can do it, but not sure if it now translates to all my other characters as well.

All your characters should become commanders after the September patch. Anyone who purchases the tag from that point on will be doing so for all their characters rather than one.

Lord Arcadio
League Of Ascending Immortals [OATH]

Posted by: Gotejjeken.1267

Gotejjeken.1267

No really, what even is this.

Look, I don’t want to be a commander, however I can feel the pain from here. 300g to change a color?! Way to go customization. Apparently letting people dye their tags would hurt gem sales too much.

Oh yeah, about those WvW unlocks. It’d sure be nice to know who has been commanding for a long time (and what mode they have commanded the most in) and who just dropped 300g for their dorito. But yeah, commander tracks would take way, way too much work.

Also, why is making the tag account bound tripling its price? What if one suddenly doesn’t like a class anymore…shouldn’t they just be able to switch to a new one and keep the tag? Literally almost everything else is account bound without any crazy upcharge (including dyes!).

Posted by: aop.6052

aop.6052

I just bought the commanders book but didn’t use it. What happens if I use it after the patch?

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

edited

Removed content of post as the new blog revealed the correct details on the new commander features and this post was speculating on alternate details.

Basically, buy your commander tag now for 100g while you can, even if you don’t have much need for it, you may in the future and it’ll cost 300g at that time.
On 9-9 it goes up to 300g and you get all of the new features (account bound, all colors) for 200g cheaper.

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

(edited by StinVec.3621)

StinVec.3621

I just bought the commanders book but didn’t use it. What happens if I use it after the patch?

edited for more accurate information based on the new blog post

The unused Compendium will still be usable after 9-9.
It’s actually good that you bought it now as you saved 200g versus buying it after 9-9.

If you do not have any characters with commander functionality:

• Using the Compendium after 9-9 will unlock the commander functionality for all existing and future characters, as well as unlocking the additional colors that be changed at will.

If you already have a character with commander functionality:

• The compendium will likely not be able to be consumed after 9-9 as the commander functionality would already be activated for the account.

(edited by StinVec.3621)

Posted by: azyume.6321

azyume.6321

Have to say it is a high risk investment you are suggesting because:

“Players who have already unlocked at least one commander tag will get the blue tag for the whole account.”
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/September_2014_Feature_Pack

It doesn’t state you can choose additional colors if have more than 1 tag and it is unlikely that Anet will announce since players would just rush and buy 5 tags now. So, you are under the risk of losing all the gold if Anet stick with refund only not giving the option to pick a color.

Guardian Commander
Thief / Mesmer / Elementalist / Warrior / Necromancer / Ranger / Engineer / Revenant
Crystal Desert – Eredon Terrace – Fort Aspenwood – Stormbluff Isle

StinVec.3621

Have to say it is a high risk investment you are suggesting because:

“Players who have already unlocked at least one commander tag will get the blue tag for the whole account.”

It doesn’t state you can choose additional colors if have more than 1 tag and it is unlikely that Anet will announce since players would just rush and buy 5 tags now. So, you are under the risk of losing all the gold if Anet stick with refund only not giving the option to pick a color.

Was this in response to my post?
If so, then my post was in response to this poster and was dependent on that information being accurate.

An admin on the wiki edited the page and included this, “Players who have unlocked four or more tags, can contact support to get another color of their choice.” He went to gamescom.

I tried to make it clear that everything I mentioned was speculation based on unclear wording and incomplete information regarding how it might be handled, but that what I outlined was my current understanding of the situation if all things previously cited by others were accurate. (I’ll edit and add this exact statement to my post, to clear that up)

I fully agree with you, people should not go tossing gold around on additional Compendiums in a race to save some coin in the long run before concrete information is available on how compensation, if any, will be handled with the feature pack.

(edited by StinVec.3621)

Posted by: azyume.6321

azyume.6321

Yeah, it was about your post, StinVec.

I understand your reply, but thought about giving a little warning, since one could misunderstand and be under the impression they would have the power to change the color of the tag later and, if doesn’t happen, could blame you for that. I have seen that happen before, so just a trying to be friendly.

Guardian Commander
Thief / Mesmer / Elementalist / Warrior / Necromancer / Ranger / Engineer / Revenant
Crystal Desert – Eredon Terrace – Fort Aspenwood – Stormbluff Isle

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Since they said you can get a refund if you bought more than 4 blue pins, I’m thinking Blue Pin 1-3 just gives you one account bound blue after patch. 3 of them being equal to the new 300g pricing. So I would not buy any extra blue pins right now in hopes of getting to chose new colors after the patch. This of course is one of the things they REALLY need to clarify ASAP.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Arcadio.6875

The Anet employee on Reddit said they would put up more info on the official forums “later today” which was two days ago. I wonder what happened to that. They definitely do need to clarify a lot of points.

Perhaps they are reconsidering selling individual colors based on feedback. I’m not expecting it, but it will be nice.

Lord Arcadio

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

The Anet employee on Reddit said they would put up more info on the official forums “later today” which was two days ago. I wonder what happened to that. They definitely do need to clarify a lot of points.

Perhaps they are reconsidering selling individual colors based on feedback. I’m not expecting it, but it will be nice.

He probably got beaten about the head and shoulders with the employee NDA.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: grifflyman.8102

grifflyman.8102

We shouldn’t let this discussion die down, that’s what their hoping for. Let the developers know how you feel about this issue!

Arcadio.6875

Hopefully they get back to us soon. Account bound tags is a good thing and raising the price to compensate is fair enough. Different color tags is something we’ve wanted so it’s good that it’s now going to be in the game. Unfortunately, selling colors individually is definitely a bad idea and they really need to reconsider it. They said they were going to post further details, but haven’t and the employee who said that has posted on Reddit since then (just not about this issue) so I am going to assume that they are having talks about it before responding to the criticism.

Lord Arcadio

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I agree they got things backwards. Instead of the system we’ve heard about in the official interviews, how about a set price for the commander tag, with a number of upgrade options:

• 300g: you get a character-bound blue tag.
  • +100g: tag becomes account-bound
  • +50g: you get to replace the permanent blue with a permanent color from the ones offered.
  • +100g: you can choose any color at any time.
  • +50g: cost to add a new color, as those become available

And perhaps new options (as they become available):

• +40,000 influence + 15 merits: add a unique color for guild commanders
  • +50g: change the default shape to a diamond, square, or circle
  • 100g: you can choose to any of those shapes at any time
    Grandfather in people who already have one tag to blue; anyone who has 3
    gets grandfathered in to all the upgrades, too.

Although the total initial cost of this would be less (550g for four colors instead of 1,200), I would bet that a lot more people would spend 550g compared to how many are likely to spend 300g just to have one possible color. Heck, I don’t command at all now and I would consider it — and I have absolutely no interest in considering buying two tags for 600g, let alone three or more. In any case, this isn’t a very good gold sink, because it only applies to a narrow subset of the population.

With this proposal, ANet also has room to tweak the prices and the offerings; with their own proposal, they are tied into this all|nothing situation, which is nothing like what they themselves suggested during the open discussion a few months back.

tl;dr instead of one-size fits all, offer upgrades to the command tag system that are individually affordable (although bought at once, they will add up).

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Arcadio.6875

We should get some answers today as the blog post that will be out later is “Command the Rainbow.”

Lord Arcadio

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

We should get some answers today as the blog post that will be out later is “Command the Rainbow.”

Somehow i don’t think we’re going to like them, though.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

You know what we get? Less information than was already given. The blog post is there and it answers none of the questions we have. It would be really nice if someone could you know…answer the questions on how it is going to work…how much are the colors going to cost, etc….

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

Announcement doesn’t say anything about the previously mentioned “you will have to purchase each color separately.” In fact, they make it sound like that is not the case.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

You know what we get? Less information than was already given. The blog post is there and it answers none of the questions we have. It would be really nice if someone could you know…answer the questions on how it is going to work…how much are the colors going to cost, etc….

They just answered that on the new blog. It’s 300g after the update and you can switch between any color. It also appears that you can put arrows next to the tag on the map to indicate to your people which direction you are heading. Existing Commanders are grandfathered into the new system at no additional charge.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

Thats absurd.

Different shapes instead of just colours would be a good idea, I guess there are no colourblind people in ArenaNet, it’s the reason the guys in Blizzard went with different shapes and colours for their raid target icons.

You won’t be off in any worse condition than you are now. It would still be a nice little QoL feature so everyone could enjoy this update though.

Arcadio.6875

The article does seem to imply that you get access to every color upon becoming a commander (with current commanders being grandfathered in).

If this is the case, then we should celebrate. It would be nice if an Anet employee would come to the forums and say outright that colors are not purchased separately just to make sure.

Lord Arcadio

Astralporing.1957

Interesting. The current blog seems to suggest that there will be no additional purchases for color options. I wonder, if they thought it over and decided to withdraw from the original cash grab idea, or is the blog intentionally vague on the matter.
If it’s the first, then i’d be really pleasantly surprised that they actually listened for a change.

Actions, not words.

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

All colors for free.

Nice save, Anet.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I’m with Astral, the blog seems to imply that the colors are available for just the single purchase. Not an additional purchase for each. I guess we’ll see. Hopefully I can raise my necessarily 100g (starting at 0 here) toget mine before the patch. Wish me luck

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

khani.4786

Vague post is vague. They don’t mention that the colors cost, but they also do not specifically state that they will not cost.

I don’t believe they’ve changed their mind yet.

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

All colors for free.

Nice save, Anet.

Or nice troll… :P

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

They use in the same sentence the word ‘change colors’ and ‘will be now accound bound after purchase’. I’m pretty sure they mean, 300g unlocks everything.

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

Posted by: Takarazuka.3025

Takarazuka.3025

I have no use for a commander tag, but I will chime in with agreement that the tag should be 300g unlock with ALL colors unlocked and interchangeable. God only knows what they were thinking when they first came up with the 300g per color idea, but the blog today vaguely hints that they will all unlock after the 300g purchase.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Vague post is vague. They don’t mention that the colors cost, but they also do not specifically state that they will not cost.

It isn’t vague at all…

“We’re also happy to announce that once you are a commander, you will have access to a variety of colors. Choose from red, yellow, purple, or classic blue to customize your commander icon!”

It clearly says that once you are a commander you have access to all the colors. It literally couldn’t be any clearer.

Astralporing.1957

They use in the same sentence the word ‘change colors’ and ‘will be now accound bound after purchase’. I’m pretty sure they mean, 300g unlocks everything.

It certainly suggest that, which would be nice. I will hold my celebration till it’s confirmed, though – if Anet taught me anything, it’s to pay attention to what is said clearly, and what is merely suggested.

Actions, not words.

Takarazuka.3025

Twitter post…. https://twitter.com/GuildWars2/status/502133727343169538

Yeap!! 300g will unlock all colors!

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

Then why do you have to own more than 3 tags in order to receive a refund?

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

Takarazuka.3025

Because you would have spent more than the 300g for the account-wide tag coming next month.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

because 300 gold is 3×100?

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

I guess it’s a way of justifying it. Good news overall, so get your cheap tag now and sorry for everyone that spent 100-200g too much for being dedicated (?).

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

I guess it’s a way of justifying it. Good news overall, so get your cheap tag now and sorry for everyone that spent 100-200g too much for being dedicated (?).

Think of it this way:

The cost is 300g, it is discounted for the next 3 weeks to 100g. After that the price is 300g again.

Arcadio.6875

Another twitter post that is more direct:
https://twitter.com/GuildWars2/status/502136525728251904

“Okay Tyrians: Like the blog post explains, purchasing one Commander’s Compendium will give you all four colors. http://ow.ly/Axon0 ~RB2”

Lord Arcadio

khani.4786

It isn’t vague at all…

“We’re also happy to announce that once you are a commander, you will have access to a variety of colors. Choose from red, yellow, purple, or classic blue to customize your commander icon!”

It clearly says that once you are a commander you have access to all the colors. It literally couldn’t be any clearer.

Never mind what I said. A red name posted and they did indeed listen to us.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/wuv/wuv/Commander-Tag-Changes-Feedback-merged/page/10#post4313965

(edited by khani.4786)

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

As I said above, to many people were crying “The sky is falling” before they got the official word.

I honestly never believed that each color would cost 300g and nowhere was it said absolutely that was what was going to happen.

I’m excited for the change and think it is a great one!

Posted by: Shalloe.4867

Shalloe.4867

As I said above, to many people were crying “The sky is falling” before they got the official word.

I honestly never believed that each color would cost 300g and nowhere was it said absolutely that was what was going to happen.

watch the last minute of that video. It says exactly that, “if you have unlocked blue already that’s the one you have and you can go ahead and buy other colours”

Posted by: TPMN.1483

TPMN.1483

[MYTH] The Mythical Dragons -PvX http://mythdragons.enjin.com

Arcadio.6875

watch the last minute of that video. It says exactly that, “if you have unlocked blue already that’s the one you have and you can go ahead and buy other colours”

Wow, I haven’t seen this video yet. It clearly shows that they were going to charge for more colors. Didn’t say additional colors would cost 300g each, but they were still going to charge something. So they have changed their minds.

Lord Arcadio

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

Um yeah, I know that. I also said in one of these many commader tag kittenstorm threads that I didn’t believe it would be that way in spite of what was said.

Posted by: Seth Moonshadow.2710

Seth Moonshadow.2710

W00T! I am so happy they are doing this!! Thank you very much ANet & GW2 teams

Maybe a way to show Commander experience is by using the existing weapon / armor / item color scheme. for example a red tag with a white chevron would be a new commander, a blue tag with an orange chevron would indicate an exotic level commander? Just a thought

| Dungeon Adventures | Blackgate | PvE | Lost Precipice | Gilded Hallow | Windswept Haven (soon)
http://www.dungeon-adventures.com

Posted by: Savoy.6824

Savoy.6824

@jheryn you dont know that they didnt change their mind due to all the complaints. They have changed things in the past based on player feedback as I have pointed out to you before. Its the benefit of having players collaborate with the devs before the patch comes out. Anet is fortunate to have such impassioned players that still help them shape their game. We better hope we like all the ideas they come out with in the last week before the patch since we wont have time to discuss any of them before the patch hits.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once – Nietzsche

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

W00T! I am so happy they are doing this!! Thank you very much ANet & GW2 teams

Maybe a way to show Commander experience is by using the existing weapon / armor / item color scheme. for example a red tag with a white chevron would be a new commander, a blue tag with an orange chevron would indicate an exotic level commander? Just a thought

How would you determine Commander experience in a way that doesnt encourage farming?

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

Arcadio.6875

From the WvW forum…

“Hi Guys,
Just wanted to clarify that we did indeed change our plans based on your feedback. What was said during the interviews at Gamescom was correct at the time but after listening to what you had to say we decided to make a change to the feature be in line with what you felt was a more balanced approach to the change.
Thank you very much for your feedback and we hope that you enjoy this upcoming change.
Thanks,
John”

Edit: Also from the WvW forums…

“I’m just going to squash this rumor right now. Before the strong negative feedback received after the interview at gamescom, every intention was for each color to cost 300g. Pending QA, that version was ready to ship for the feature pack.
When the flood of feedback came in, there was a flurry of emails working out the best course of action, and in the end Zach and Tyler worked the weekend to make sure this change could be made on time for 9/9.”

Lord Arcadio

(edited by Arcadio.6875)