Community Going Downhill?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Godzzila.3752

Godzzila.3752

So I didn’t play Guild Wars 2 for a long time, and I decided a few days ago to get into it again.
I had never played in a living story or anything but I just finished leveling my guardian to 80 and was giving it a try with the invasion and stuff. It was really fun and stuff but the game was divided in 2 groups, the group that wanted to farm and the group that wanted to finish the event. I was just going arround in the zergs and didn’t bother with any of those 2 I was just playing for the fun.
The problem is, the 2 groups besides completly not wanting to help each others, they were just being complete and massive jerks to the others… Especially people that were just farming…
Like people would ask for help to get the scarlet side to go down and not only did the farmers not help, they were just saying stuff like: “LOOK AT ALL THIS LOOT”, and “CAN’T GET IT ALONE? 2 BAD!”
I mean, WTF? I don’t remember the community being that kittenty, what the hell happned?

Posted by: Sylv.5324

Sylv.5324

From what a number of folks have been able to figure, it’s the CoF p1 baddie ragers who’ve bled over into the open world and not farmers in general. If I want to farm, I stick with champ loops, where the regulars are usually a lot nicer and try to help end the event so they can make more money killing the normal champs. XD

I don’t know what to do about the creeps being rude except to report the really nasty ones, and try to not do events in overflows.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Daywolf.2630

Daywolf.2630

ugh yeah don’t let it get you downed, no one will help you back up. hehe
Really, all you need to do is daily, you get those two extra chest drops, but only once a day. But then you can do three world bosses with three drops in the time it takes you to get just those two, if you manage to finish minions etc. And we that do world bosses never leave a man behind… unless you are in a particularly bad spot – but we’ll revive you if not all wiped.

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

I’ve seen a sharp drop in community quality pretty much everywhere. In-game, and on the forums.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

Posted by: FurySong.6348

FurySong.6348

All of the terrible people before the new dungeon reward system were concentrated in CoF p1.

All those people now are spreadout among the game and most commonly in invasions now because its the most lucrative thing out there.

These people were always here, they were just avoidable back then.

Posted by: Sai.5908

Sai.5908

Having this problem too in World vs World , I was in a downed state and a norn thief just passed me by and there was no danger near . I’m starting to see others not rezzing people even when there’s no danger , at least that’s what I see in my server .

Daywolf.2630

Having this problem too in World vs World , I was in a downed state and a norn thief just passed me by and there was no danger near . I’m starting to see others not rezzing people even when there’s no danger , at least that’s what I see in my server .

Once or often? Because I don’t see that often. I could think of a reason why… maybe his guildies were engaged and every moment counted. Generally I’d stop, but I can think of rare reasons not to. I can’t speak for whoever though. WvW is usually pretty civil. …and it’s not the thief class, I run with a commander thief in wvw and world boss encounters more often than anything. Since it’s a stealth thief, reviving is usually something I have np doing. But you know, circumstances do arise, reviving from 0 does take time.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

The game went free for a week or so so you see ppl who never played mmorpgs get in and hooked. Its not so much going downhill but there just a new pop that not use to how a GW community works.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

It’s due to the heads of the farming Zergs. Generally, in a Zerg you have the zerglings, who are just cluelessly there trying to make a living, and then you have the hardcore ringleaders. The latter are the ones who are usually butts. The former.. Sometimes they can be nasty, but often it’s out of ignorance, not malice.

I ? Karkas.

Jski.6180

It’s due to the heads of the farming Zergs. Generally, in a Zerg you have the zerglings, who are just cluelessly there trying to make a living, and then you have the hardcore ringleaders. The latter are the ones who are usually butts. The former.. Sometimes they can be nasty, but often it’s out of ignorance, not malice.

When it comes to the champ farming the non event ones from the living story i find “zerg” farming to be full of nice ppl. They give you info if you ask it they get you up if you fall over all a very nice group mind you this is FA i am not sure if the other worlds are just that cold to there players but there not much Anet can do about it. I guess you could switch worlds FA not too bad of a chose!

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

When it comes to the champ farming the non event ones from the living story i find “zerg” farming to be full of nice ppl. They give you info if you ask it they get you up if you fall over all a very nice group mind you this is FA i am not sure if the other worlds are just that cold to there players but there not much Anet can do about it. I guess you could switch worlds FA not too bad of a chose!

I’m generally speaking about overflow. In my honest opinion, if you go to your home server, you’ll find little if any toxicity, but if you go to an overflow, it’s about as poisonous as Orrian Water.

I ? Karkas.

Jski.6180

I’m generally speaking about overflow. In my honest opinion, if you go to your home server, you’ll find little if any toxicity, but if you go to an overflow, it’s about as poisonous as Orrian Water.

I see what your saying that a very good point.

Posted by: Sai.5908

Sai.5908

Once or often? Because I don’t see that often. I could think of a reason why… maybe his guildies were engaged and every moment counted. Generally I’d stop, but I can think of rare reasons not to. I can’t speak for whoever though. WvW is usually pretty civil. …and it’s not the thief class, I run with a commander thief in wvw and world boss encounters more often than anything. Since it’s a stealth thief, reviving is usually something I have np doing. But you know, circumstances do arise, reviving from 0 does take time.

I have no hate for thieves and I see people not rezzing every now and then , and I won’t say this happens often . I actually see this happens every now and then with other classes , I was just making an example with a norn thief that did not help me today .

Posted by: Piecekeeper.4361

Piecekeeper.4361

I think people are getting a little bit of a nostalgia effect already.

Seriously, I’ve thought the community has been bad (at least the vocal portion) since about week 2.

The biggest difference that I can find is that more things are changing and being added, so there is more opportunity for people to find new things to complain about, and new ways to complain about each other.

Unfortunately, the complainers have brought out the troll in me, and I find myself making jokes in map chat to fan the flames…. Maybe I should ease up on that.

But really, ignoring map chat, and not doing TOO much on the forums is a good way to remain sane when it comes to the game.

Last note, I just want to say that this community, while pretty darn wretched at times, is equally as nasty to each other as any other game I play, so it’s all a wash to me.

Posted by: dustinharlin.8693

dustinharlin.8693

I’ve been playing since the BWE and I’ve also noticed the community has gotten much much worse over the past year. People have gone from “hey lets have fun playing a game and help each other out” to “omg gotta get that gold as fast as possible gtfo noobs!!!1”, it’s sad really. I would have to agree with people saying it’s at least partly because of the CoF people being forced to get back into the rest of the world. I was perfectly happy with them all staying in CoF where they belong(hey they enjoyed farming it and the rest of us enjoyed avoiding them lol).

Posted by: dcypher.2590

dcypher.2590

So I didn’t play Guild Wars 2 for a long time, and I decided a few days ago to get into it again.
I had never played in a living story or anything but I just finished leveling my guardian to 80 and was giving it a try with the invasion and stuff. It was really fun and stuff but the game was divided in 2 groups, the group that wanted to farm and the group that wanted to finish the event. I was just going arround in the zergs and didn’t bother with any of those 2 I was just playing for the fun.
The problem is, the 2 groups besides completly not wanting to help each others, they were just being complete and massive jerks to the others… Especially people that were just farming…
Like people would ask for help to get the scarlet side to go down and not only did the farmers not help, they were just saying stuff like: “LOOK AT ALL THIS LOOT”, and “CAN’T GET IT ALONE? 2 BAD!”
I mean, WTF? I don’t remember the community being that kittenty, what the hell happned?

This is a direct result of arenanet creating a system that rewards the lack of teamplay. if they just kept all the drops until the events were over, people would farm the events..and those who want to finish the events would get to finish them at the same time, but instead..everything drops everything so people just farm the masses instead of working towards the goal.

for example instead of having everything drop the tokens, just have enough drop at the completion of the event to make it worthwhile

(edited by dcypher.2590)

Posted by: Aerlen.5326

Aerlen.5326

Considering last night I was told my deceased father should molest me because I told someone throwing one heck of a verbally abusive tantrum over Scarlet failing to stop it, I think abuse flies on BOTH sides. In fact, I’m getting it more from the other side than the farming groups – called kittened, told some excessively lewd things I should do to myself.. and when we actually got to Scarlet that first week, the constant jokes about violating her despite people saying that isn’t funny.

Six months ago, I’d never believe I’d be seeing that WoW garbage trash talk disgusting behavior in GW2 but I guess I under-estimated the MMO crowd.

~Tarnished Coast Pride~

Forever known as “that slow guardian who can’t jump worth crap”.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

yes good luck if you are actually interested in killing Scarlet.

I have been shocked by the chat on my server during this event- i have never in the year of playing seen anything like this.
Ironically it is actually more friendly in overflow.

And no this has nothing to do with new players since this is high level content- these are people who are bored and obsessed by loot, nothing more.

I wonder when Mike O’ Brian used the Scarlet event to say how nice it is to see people banding together, if he was looking at a graph or actually from in game- because no one is banding together from where I am sitting

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Um Abbas.5693

Um Abbas.5693

nostalgia
Yeah, used to be much nicer.
But generally, the more poeple play, the more is the probability to encounter jerks.
I was dumbfounded when I came back after a break (cca 2, 3mo) and found out people now charge for dungeon entrance.
And the map chats, often, wow.
/nostalgia

Midget Gadget * Branch of Wood
Aurora Glade ~ Army of Forgotten Souls miniguild [AoFS]
http://umabbas.net/

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

I have never seen horrible behaviour on home or overflow. I do 2 invasions max a day, sometimes I am rezzed right away sometimes (rarely) I need to WP. I am not too concerned if I need to WP since the minimum possible loot is 1 to 2 gold just from selling everything up to green. Do I always rez others, no. If I am the target of a mob and need to focus on surviving I will survive, that is my priority.
Also what is this with overflow is horrible attitude? The way things are set up most of the people are going to be from your own server so basically it is home server being horrible in any case.

Posted by: Ferguson.2157

Ferguson.2157

I have seen an increase in my reporting of about 500% this last month. I don’t know if they are new players unaware of the rules , or if they are existing players just saying “to heck with the rules”.

I just report and ignore and continue on playing.

“What, me worry?” – A. E. Neuman

Posted by: Evans.6347

Evans.6347

Downhill?
The Community fell of a cliff!

Joy to the world, ignorance is bliss

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

I do 2 or 3 invasions a day if I can. I have seen some great groups, and some pure trash talkers. Overflows or not, it just seems who is online at the time. I have been in an invasion with 2 commanders on the map. Finished the invasion and got so much loot I had to keep salvaging and selling to clear my bags. (max bags, all 20 slots).
Then again, I have done an invasion with 11 commanders. Worst experience so far. Not enough loot to fill 2 bags and mostly all trash. Failed the invasion with the final stage bar almost completely filled. It all depends on who you have the luck or misfortune to play with.

Posted by: bri.2359

bri.2359

I have been shocked by the chat on my server during this event- i have never in the year of playing seen anything like this.

Unfortunately, now you realise GH is not as nice as you previously thought …
My blocked list has rapidly grown over the past 2 months, but it is more due to LA map chat than the LS stuff.

In fact, I find doing the invasions a relief from the LA nonsense. Yes, now and again there is a ‘disagreement’ over farming or completing the event, but mostly things are ok, people are civil and rez each other. Most everyone has the 13 map invasion achiev done now, so there is not so much pressure to get Scarlet at the end.

Lvl 80’s: Ranger; Guardian; Mesmer; Necromancer; Thief
Gandara Megaserver

Posted by: Faze.6948

Faze.6948

I’m in agreement with a lot of what people are seeing here, the most vocal parts of community does seem to have become really purile.

But I tried an experiment, I switched off map chat. Now I can’t read the inane prattle of a toxic minority. GW2 was always a visual game, now I see PCs that fight alongside me, rez me and thank me for a rez, especially when I risk a down myself. You know the 95% of players who are actually fighting alongside you and enjoying the game with you instead of wasting key presses trolling chat.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

My blocked list has rapidly grown over the past 2 months, but it is more due to LA map chat than the LS stuff.

In fact, I find doing the invasions a relief from the LA nonsense. Yes, now and again there is a ‘disagreement’ over farming or completing the event, but mostly things are ok, people are civil and rez each other. Most everyone has the 13 map invasion achiev done now, so there is not so much pressure to get Scarlet at the end.

\

I have no idea what LA chat is like because I never set foot there,
I have really had a very good experience on Gunnar’s Hold and this invasion is the worst I have seen.

I will not name names but when you have people “unzipping” in chat I think you can get where this is going.
Nevermind if you should suggest to kill Scarlet like for the daily yesterday or heaven forbid because you didn’t do all the achievements in the first 2 days. Or want to complete the meta.

You have commanders trying to accommodate you- you have commanders trying to get you to farm instead, you have “your mother” insults flying about and you have the farmers shouting in Caps, you have people being 2 year old kittens because of Lootz.

This is probably the worst designed group content I have ever seen in the game because it promotes this split by it’s design.

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Morrigan, seriously turn off chat. A very large part of the players do want to kill Scarlet just to kill her, no other reason. If you hit events and no one is there do them. I have solo’d them I have seen commanders look and see no one else is there and leave again. It does not matter. So far I have about 50% chance of killing Scarlet whether on overflow or ‘home’. As I said I do about 2 a day and almost always get the daily chest. Today is the first time I have not.

\

I have no idea what LA chat is like because I never set foot there,
I have really had a very good experience on Gunnar’s Hold and this invasion is the worst I have seen.

I will not name names but when you have people “unzipping” in chat I think you can get where this is going.
Nevermind if you should suggest to kill Scarlet like for the daily yesterday or heaven forbid because you didn’t do all the achievements in the first 2 days. Or want to complete the meta.

You have commanders trying to accommodate you- you have commanders trying to get you to farm instead, you have “your mother” insults flying about and you have the farmers shouting in Caps, you have people being 2 year old kittens because of Lootz.

This is probably the worst designed group content I have ever seen in the game because it promotes this split by it’s design.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

There are still nice players in the world, but the not so nice players tend to shout over them. The nice players tend to recede into their guilds and make smaller sub-societies. That’s what happened to me.

I spend a lot more time talking in guild chat and a lot less time talking in the open world these days.

Posted by: Astraea.6075

Astraea.6075

Everyone’s experience is different of course but I haven’t personally seen the same level of toxicity that a lot of you are describing. While I think elements of the way the invasion events are designed enable this sort of behaviour (by providing more rewards for farming them than completing them), we can’t just blame the devs for how the community chooses to act towards each other.

I do believe that ANet are learning from each iteration of the living story (and other associated updates), but it’s always going to be hard for them to predict how people will choose to interact with what they have designed.

Daywolf.2630

Now for answering directly concerning “the community going down hill?”.
Sure, absolutely 100% no doubt about it down hill. But… long before GW2 came around.
Old school/1st gen mmo players know what I’m talking about

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

After the outbursts/harassment I saw in-game (and had to /report) for just casually pointing out that some Ember farmers were making our Arah Gates Push a lttle too difficult … I didn’t even bother with the Invasion events once I noticed they were basically the same premise. Yeah I probably missed out on a lot of “l00t”, but I’d much rather lose l00t than sanity…

Posted by: TheProcreator.9583

TheProcreator.9583

Well, here is my thing. Everyone could be happy but they fail to think about the problems rationally. I am referring to the main two problems as of late.

1. Invasions: Scarlet vs. ‘Farming’

To fix this problem, the people who want to take out Scarlet simply help the farmers clear their secondary camps (Aetherblades & Molten Alliance) until they run out. The camps do run out really quick when the entire map is working for them. Then the focus is on the minions. We have done this many times on my server and this resulted in defeating Scarlet mostly every time.

2. Champion Loops

This fix is short (although I could rant about it) but not many players that I have come across seem to come to the conclusion. Everyone who wants to farm champions should farm high level events in large groups. Why? Because events scale to include multiple champions per event that way. This is what the ladies & gentlemen at ArenaNet had in mind when they implemented champion loot. They wanted to make champions that appeared during events more rewarding and less of a nuisance.

Daywolf.2630

2. Champion Loops

This fix is short (although I could rant about it) but not many players that I have come across seem to come to the conclusion. Everyone who wants to farm champions should farm high level events in large groups. Why? Because events scale to include multiple champions per event that way. This is what the ladies & gentlemen at ArenaNet had in mind when they implemented champion loot. They wanted to make champions that appeared during events more rewarding and less of a nuisance.

Oddly enough, this champ problem isn’t new, UO started doing it a few years into it’s run. I always felt it was the beginning of the end for UO, that and luck suits… hehehe (i.e. MF gear). Champs even dropped skill scrolls lol
yyyup… was the beginning of the end..

(edited by Daywolf.2630)

Posted by: TheProcreator.9583

TheProcreator.9583

Oddly enough, this isn’t new, UO started doing it a few years into it’s run. I always felt it was the beginning of the end for UO, that and luck suits… hehehe (i.e. MF gear). Champs even dropped skill scrolls lol

Yeah, and it is not like it is a bad concept. Players collectively choose how to utilize content. :/

Daywolf.2630

Oddly enough, this isn’t new, UO started doing it a few years into it’s run. I always felt it was the beginning of the end for UO, that and luck suits… hehehe (i.e. MF gear). Champs even dropped skill scrolls lol

Yeah, and it is not like it is a bad concept. Players collectively choose how to utilize content. :/

You’ll see.
I mean the whole farm train went into CoF1 and disappeared for months. Now they are loose in general pop again, you know, like the ones that like required gear linking to even be considered to run with them etc.

I’ve seen what’s going on, while I do world boss events, temples etc and the farming zergs run around the zone saying/starting crap. Worst I saw was at the embers exploit, but quite a bit elsewhere as well. It’s much like what happened in UO, just players got cray cray greedy, like irl gold fever. Poopsocking in EQ1 was crazy enough, but people that pulled that in general population had a hard time finding groups… at least before instant travel hit which was the beginning of the end for EQ1 imo heh.

But this is nothing new. The whole zerg farming thing. Tempers. Badmouthing. Generally I don’t care for instances in an mmo, but in cases like this for the inevitable farming zergs, I welcome a return to like CoF1 farming or whatnot.

(edited by Daywolf.2630)

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

It’s a huge testament to Anet’s design flaw. It’s backfired on them. They wanted to force people into groups to get anything, so now people roam around in groups just for farming items. They wanted to squeeze blood from a turnip in the economy, so now people are worried about getting enough gold all the time. They made the game all about grinding materials that can be sold (250 of this 250 of that) and made those items almost impossible to get solo, so now people are just playing to farm all the time.

I don’t see it changing anytime soon. I left in disgust because of this and make no mistake it’s not the community, they are just reacting to the design flaws inherent in the game’s economy. You don’t see this in other titles.

If it didn’t cost so much to do anything in this game it wouldn’t be a problem. If I didn’t have to spend gobs of gold to get a great DPS setup for my toon, it wouldn’t be a problem. If I could actually get the materials I need without emptying out my wallet every time just to make it it wouldn’t be a problem.

I long for the day when they change the focus of the game so that it’s not all about farming for gold every minute or for resources and what’s coming down the road for crafting is simply an insult to crafters everywhere who’ve already spent the time getting that last mile to 400.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

(edited by tigirius.9014)

Posted by: Soja.5918

Soja.5918

Don’t get hung up on the kittenlords out there. Earlier I had the pleasure of going after Liadri with several other gauntlet enthusiasts. This being the last night the Pavilion is open for the foreseeable future, the mood was lighthearted and everyone jumped to a revive, or shared tips. A couple were just there to revive others! This is in addition to the fact that many guilds have been dropping expensive buff banners in towns and commons areas.

So yeah. Public map wide always is the channel of choice for punks but there are many selfless and helpful players out there as well.

The Crystal Desert beckons us. Ascension awaits us.

Keirlann Aurion – Ranger – Chieftain of the Ace Guard [AceG]

Posted by: NoodllZ.8376

NoodllZ.8376

For the living world event people realized that failing the event still counted towards your achievements, so they just go in to farm aethers. Yea they’re annoying and really kitten me off while working to complete the event but I can’t really fault them. Mindless zerging is fun sometimes and you alot of loot which means money.

Posted by: Zeldain.5710

Zeldain.5710

I think your own experience explains it.

You weren’t engaged enough to continue playing the game so you left, as did many many others. In the mean time, ArenaNet has been trying to correct that course and in that effort made some very shallow progression paths that appeal to obsessive compulsive people… not the best audience for socialization and teamwork in an MMO.

Posted by: Zeldain.5710

Zeldain.5710

For the living world event people realized that failing the event still counted towards your achievements, so they just go in to farm aethers. Yea they’re annoying and really kitten me off while working to complete the event but I can’t really fault them. Mindless zerging is fun sometimes and you alot of loot which means money.

This is the problem with “everyone wins!” There has to be failure, if not consequence for failure. If the focus is only on loot or points and the most efficient way to get it, the game content design has failed undeniably.

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

ANet has very serious issues while trying to balance “what has to be done” and “what pays off if done”. They can’t put something without breaking another.

Go ask the champions in Frostgorge and Jornag’s Claw.

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

Posted by: TwoBit.5903

TwoBit.5903

The game’s focused changed from friendly MMO to reward treadmill, so it’s not unthinkable that the previous playerbase would distill/change to current one.

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

The game’s focused changed from friendly MMO to reward treadmill, so it’s not unthinkable that the previous playerbase would distill/change to current one.

Ncsoft new game model, Firefal is the same thing.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

Posted by: Godzzila.3752

Godzzila.3752

My major complaint it is not even the fact that losing the event because evryone was getting loot from champs has a better reward then just trying to win the event, it’s the fact that people are so mean, ironic and provocative with each other… When people asked for help to end the events (with me it mostly happned that the farmers where kittens, I’m sorry, but it is the correct term: kittens) they could just have said nothing, but instead they choose to provoce, be ironic and make “jokes” that only the other kittens find funny…
I wasn’t in any of those 2 sides at the begining, I had no reason to end the event, but also not that much of a reason to farm so at first I was just wondering from the closest point to the other closest point, but after realizing how much of kittenheads the farmers where, I just went with the minority to keep myself way from those trolls…

Posted by: Gabe.3976

Gabe.3976

I wouldn’t say the community’s gone downhill, exactly, but the latest content is bringing out some of the worse aspects of people. Until the last two patches came out, almost everything in open world was set up so that one person couldn’t easily rob another person of their opportunity to play as they want to play. When such a conflict did occur—such as deliberate event failing in order to farm spawns—Anet stepped in to correct the situation.

With the latest two patches—and particularly the last one—that’s changed. The goals of farmers are at odds with the goals of completionists. While farming the Aetherblades doesn’t guarantee the event will fail (depending, of course, on the percentage of people who are farming vs. the percentage of people who aren’t), it does make it a heck of a lot harder. This is especially frustrating for those who have limited time to get an achievement, whose playing time is restricted, or who aren’t easily able to use alternate achievements to get the meta. For those individuals, failing to complete has a high cost in that it may keep them from getting a time-limited achievement and the associated cosmetic reward.

Yet, on the converse side, the monetary rewards for farming Aetherblades are much more lucrative than those for killing Scarlet. Additionally, with the change to magic find coming, greens are suddenly in high demand. Greens take up a lot of bag space, though…unless they’re in a champion box. Similarly, the introduction of ascended crafting materials means that a lot of people are trying to hoard the champion boxes so they can open them once today’s patch goes live. For these individuals, failing to farm has a high cost in terms of lost (potential) revenue.

That these two goals are at odds with each other puts the community in conflict. Yesterday, my boyfriend was trying to get the Scarlet Scrambler daily in order to complete the meta (which he wasn’t able to dedicate much time to earlier due to work). When he asked map chat for help in doing it, he received enough abuse that he nearly quit the game. (He ended up getting the meta ‘cause he and I were able to do the Faren speed run). Now, this is someone who’s probably bought about five copies of the game in order to bring in friends. For someone who’s put that large of an investment into the game to consider quitting is indicative that something is wrong.

It’s not the farmers’ fault. It’s not the completionists’ fault. It’s the fault of a system that puts them at odds when virtually every other aspect of the game is strongly cooperative. I think a lot of it will die down after the new patch drops, and the invasion events become rare.

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

The community took a sharp fall off a cliff. I remember people rushing to rez me during a boss fight and I remember people working together, creating projectile shields all around my body so they could rez me in peace.

Just yesterday I was doing the “Kill Scarlet” event and I was downed with about 30 people around me. One person went to rez me, and this other guy says, “Don’t bother rezzing him, you’ll die too. Focus on the mobs, noob”. He didn’t say it that nicely either. They just let me slowly decay and die and I didn’t get any mob loot. The nearest waypoint was about 6 minutes away from the event too.

I can say with 80% certainty, that because children went back to school, the community will improve. 90% of rude people I meet are below the age of 15.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Posted by: Chewablesleeptablet.3185

Chewablesleeptablet.3185

when a community plays a game just to get loot , it will turn sour.

Game communities fall when they fail to immerse themselves into the lore and play the RPG as it was intended to be played.

Posted by: cinemapaula.8673

cinemapaula.8673

Ha! I find more people being hostile TO farmers, than event farmers griefing people. Honestly, how many invasions CAN YOU POSSIBLY do and ENJOY before you get bored and it turns into a farm fest.

A solution would have been to make an item we NEEDED the pieces for to attain. The shoulder skins were not overly attractive, and, everyone ended up with multiple pairs dropping, so we really didn’t NEED to beat Scarlet to GAIN anything since the payoff is BETTER loot-wise if you farm Aethers. Lets face it. Sure you can beat her and get 2-3 more things…. but… Pirate champs are more fun, and more profitable.

I was playing to win, but after the crazy number I NEEDED for achieves, farming is the only way to make the invasions ‘enjoyable’ at this point.

I will again say though – there are MORE people harassing farmers than the other way around.

Posted by: PseudoNewb.5468

PseudoNewb.5468

I will again say though – there are MORE people harassing farmers than the other way around.

To be fair, however, the farmers have no reason to complain because they get their way most of the time in the events. While the people who want to kill Scarlet rarely get the chance to.

The people who want to defeat Scarlet are getting frustrated by the game mechanics, while the people who want to farm, I don’t know why they harass others.

Posted by: Burnfall.9573

Burnfall.9573

It’s a huge testament to Anet’s design flaw. It’s backfired on them. They wanted to force people into groups to get anything, so now people roam around in groups just for farming items. They wanted to squeeze blood from a turnip in the economy, so now people are worried about getting enough gold all the time. They made the game all about grinding materials that can be sold (250 of this 250 of that) and made those items almost impossible to get solo, so now people are just playing to farm all the time.

I don’t see it changing anytime soon. I left in disgust because of this and make no mistake it’s not the community, they are just reacting to the design flaws inherent in the game’s economy. You don’t see this in other titles.

If it didn’t cost so much to do anything in this game it wouldn’t be a problem. If I didn’t have to spend gobs of gold to get a great DPS setup for my toon, it wouldn’t be a problem. If I could actually get the materials I need without emptying out my wallet every time just to make it it wouldn’t be a problem.

I long for the day when they change the focus of the game so that it’s not all about farming for gold every minute or for resources and what’s coming down the road for crafting is simply an insult to crafters everywhere who’ve already spent the time getting that last mile to 400.

I’m in 100% Agreement with you.

Advocate of Justice, Liberty and Truth