Compact bags an issue?

Compact bags an issue?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

Just going to move this here instead of the reference thread for sake/request of keeping that one clean.

Things Anet is working on

Deposit/compact bags button too close. Anet realized this was an issue when a streamer complained about it. They are working on a solution. Not coming next Tuesday but coming soon (still need to test it).

This is really not an issue. I would hate to see Anet waste dev time on this when the solutions are already in game for it.

The worst part about the streamer “raging” (video was titles something rage) about this is that they had the means to avoid it in their inventory, but chose not to utilize those means. If they had only put their fractal bags in the last slots, then items in those bags would not have compacted. In other words the only “issue” was her own lack of utilizing the bags she had in a manner that would prevent the “issue”.

Please do not waste dev time on this. Use that time for more pressing real issues.

Serenity now~Insanity later

Compact bags an issue?

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

So we should have to carefully select exactly the right bags to put in exactly the right slots to avoid having a tiny mouse twitch turn into half an hour of placing inventory back in the desired order? I’ve only goofed maybe 3 times in 3 years, but it was a major hassle each time.

Plus I don’t sort things out by rarity, I sort them by function. I keep my invisible bag(s) at the bottom for irreplaceable items, and otherwise prefer generic bags when possible so that new acquisitions will always show up at the top. Whatever algorithm the Compact function uses, it bears no similarity whatsoever to how I place things in my bags to easily find. Salvage kits here, consumables there, spare unequipped weapons in this row, tonics down here, clothing changes by type of garment over here …

To you a waste of time, to me and others who have begged for this UI correction over the years a boon beyond compare. That little bit of tension every time I deposit materials is a burr of annoyance that adds up.

Compact bags an issue?

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

Without using overly dramatic exaggerations…yes. That’s what they are for. We’ve had them well long enough to where it’s nothing new. The fractal bags are the cheapest 20 slot ones we have and they serve this purpose rather well.

That said, maybe the word choice of “waste” was a bit harsh.

Serenity now~Insanity later

Compact bags an issue?

Posted by: Coldtart.4785

Coldtart.4785

I’ve only goofed maybe 3 times in 3 years, but it was a major hassle each time.

I’ve goofed zero times because when you use invisible bags properly compact is never a bad option.

Compact bags an issue?

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

Interesting, this is the issue has been around for ages and Arena Net did not care, not till a streamer they like pointed it out.

If Arena Net listened to half the feedback they get by regular players then such issues would have been addressed a long time ago.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

(edited by Aedelric.1287)

Compact bags an issue?

Posted by: Coldtart.4785

Coldtart.4785

Bad inventory management by players is not something Anet should concern itself with.

Compact bags an issue?

Posted by: Urdfexe.9147

Urdfexe.9147

Anet, please don’t ruin compact bags with some confirmation clickety kitten.
I beg you.

Compact bags an issue?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I’ve done it. I usually only have 8 slot invisble bags and sometimes I have more than 8 items in my inventory I want to hold on to.

Slightly annoying but not a huge deal.

Compact bags an issue?

Posted by: Manu.6078

Manu.6078

There’s nothing wrong when a streamer complain about an issue. There’s nothing wrong with Anet is working on a solution. After all , Anet decides what is important or not.
We can hope that in a day , a streamer will rage when he/she will not find the mouse cursor during a large fight or will be disconnected during a meta and will not be able to return.
#ragingstreamersforthewin

Compact bags an issue?

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

I use compact dozens of times per day. It is so useful when managing your inventory. I hope nothing gets changed about it.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Compact bags an issue?

Posted by: Vanth.5439

Vanth.5439

I never liked Peachy much, but… I’m loving her right now :P

I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve seen people kitten about misclicking that darn compact button and having to sit there are re-organized their inventory (me included).

I’t’s not the end of the world to have to move your mouse just a bit more down the list after all, no? They aren’t taking out the option, just moving it a bit

Compact bags an issue?

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

On the one hand, I agree: everyone interested in organizing their inventory should take advantage of special-use inventory bags. Anyone who doesn’t should be more careful.

On the other, why have the ‘compact’ next to the ‘deposit all’ ? I know many of us are used to it, but do they really have to be next to each other? Will we really be inconvenienced if they change the order?

(Still, I hope ANet doesn’t ‘fix’ the one issue for one subset of players by creating a new issue for a different subset.)

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Compact bags an issue?

Posted by: sarasvatri.6871

sarasvatri.6871

I get really mad too when Mom and Dad go with one of my siblings suggestions. It doesn’t matter that I had no opinion about it before- I do now and I’ll go blue in the face rationalizing about how it’s a bad idea and will ruin my life and Mom and Dad always listen to my siblings and never to meeeeee

Compact bags an issue?

Posted by: Sinbold.8723

Sinbold.8723

This is SO not an issue that it boggles the mind. That Anet made it so just….well… my flabber was gasted. Check out the bugs forum. Look at all the progress blocking bugs that should have a higher priority that an issue that can be so incredibly easily avoided, as Coldtart.4785 and fishball.7204 have mentioned above. No one in my original guild (playing together since Prophecies) had even heard of…. whoever that person was that mentioned it while streaming. And whoever that person was- WHY OH WHY aren’t they raging about legendary crafting, or WvW waypoints?

If this is a problem for you, please don’t ever use a screwdriver. You might accidentally stick it in your eye.

Compact bags an issue?

Posted by: phandaria.4891

phandaria.4891

Someone in reddit linked this comic, which sums up the situation: https://xkcd.com/1172/

But it is interesting how things are quickly acknowledged when it is a “personal request” from their streamer.

Compact bags an issue?

Posted by: Famine.3164

Famine.3164

Why are people qqing over this!? It was as they said an easy fix, other things takes much more work..

Compact bags an issue?

Posted by: Athena.3579

Athena.3579

I’ve never had an issue with this, but I think if anyone were to honestly answer, I’d say most would say this is a minor issue at best.

The biggest problem, for me, is that there are a ton of valid bug reports in the bug section of the forums. Some of them have gone unaddressed for years (even after a developer said they’d look into the issue, in some cases) and have hundreds if not thousands of posts and views. One of the “teacher’s pets” complains about something, and, within a week, it is being addressed and “fixed”.

It basically says to most of the community that if you’re not a streamer you have no voice. If you’re not a streamer or content creator for GW2, your opinion doesn’t really matter. I agree and feel that Anet is particularly bad about only addressing issues from people that raise hell on Reddit or addressing issues from their popular content creators.

One of the examples of this is here: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Female-human-only-has-1-animation-now/first

It has been over a year since this was submitted and a few days later it is “currently under investigation”. It has been under investigation for over a year — if the issue is not going to be fixed, they could at least say so rather than continuously sweeping it under the rug.

So, yes, even if it only takes five minutes to swap those buttons around, I’d much rather that precious time being spent elsewhere. Either working on WvW, the numerous bugs in the bug report section, or finally getting around to adding these lost idle animations back in. Anything else rather than continuously reinventing the wheel.

I think this is another knee-jerk reaction that says a lot of negative stuff about this company.

Compact bags an issue?

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

First of all the streamer in question nearly choked on her Subway Cold Cut Combo™ on flat bread when she was told on stream that they were changing it. She quickly stated that any change to the drop down would hose players who double tap send/compact so don’t do it. Only reason the rant ended up on YouTube was her followers ask her to because it was such an epic rant and out of character for her. She then asked what would be better is to have an icon next to the gear that also does the send function since everyone should be using it at all times. But God no don’t change the ordering was her message Friday when Guild Chat was on.

But the reason this caught ANet’s eye was the rant let the devs see the reaction of a player when this happens. Like the glider deployment change that Joel discussed afterwards, it wasn’t until he simulated Oceania lag that he understood what players from there were harping about. It made their issues real to him. The reddit thread that was started about the rant along with the YouTube comments and comments when the rant was happening along with Rubi’s own experience made her go and find out if something could be done.

Now anyone who’s coded UI for an app know that adding or rearranging a drop down is trivial, doing something like this isn’t going to set the next raid wing back.

Now a button to duplicate the send functionality on the Inventory screen is probably to big of a change to slip stream into the schedule so I imagine if they do do this they will simply add a spacer between send and compact rather than move compact to the bottom. Gives the clumsy wiggle room and doesn’t add too much mouse travel to the double tap crowd.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

Compact bags an issue?

Posted by: Guardian Of Tyria.6397

Guardian Of Tyria.6397

The only issue I have with them changing it, other than my muscle memory will eff me over for the next few months when trying to clear my inventory, was the near immediate action Anet took when one of the “famous” streamers threw a hissy fit over something that minor.

Anything I don’t want out of order I have either lined up at the top of my bags, or at the bottom in my invisible bag.

Why in the world would you have things you don’t want moved out in the middle of your inventory. To me, it just seems logical to have stationary things at the top or bottom of the inventory (since if it is anywhere but there any resizing of the window will move its position anyway since it changes the number of slots per row).

There’s my rant, now do something about it (or do I need to record it and post it on youtube?)

Compact bags an issue?

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

ive literally never needed compact because i use bags that sort things for me. 1 invis / starter + generic bag (karka shell) / 2 equipment boxes / 1 craftsman bag / 1 oiled pack / another invis.

when used in combination with a CFSoM and deposit collectibles, it takes about 20 secs to clear out 80 slots of junk to make room for more. i often even clear it while autorunning.

ill be glad if depositing becomes easier, but accidentally clicking compact only moves about 5 slots of stuff at most when your inventory is well organized. and using 18 slot bags in the above setup is far superior to having 5-7 fractal boxes or halloween pails and extremely cheap.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

Compact bags an issue?

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

I, for one, have wanted this for a long time and would like to thank whoever is fixing this profusely.

Evidence: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/archive/suggestions/Undo-Compact/first

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

Compact bags an issue?

Posted by: Maya Kirilian.9051

Maya Kirilian.9051

Well it’s not really an issue to me either it happened to me maybe 2-3 times since the start of the game.
But I do have a suggestion actually.
Why not compact toward the bottom of the bags instead of the top.
In the way I do my bag organisation, compacting to the bottom wouldn’t be making any damage because I like to see my new loot arriving on the top and the gear I carry with me all the time is organised from the bottom up.
I do think this makes more sense because
I keep my free slots and my salvage kits on top and when the new loot comming from top and the static gear get too close it’s time for clean up anyway.
I don’t no what other people think about the compact button and how they use it actually … I never do. But if it was compacting downward I might actually since it wouldn’t affect my fixed bag organisation.

Compact bags an issue?

Posted by: papry.8096

papry.8096

Interesting, this is the issue has been around for ages and Arena Net did not care, not till a streamer they like pointed it out.

If Arena Net listened to half the feedback they get by regular players then such issues would have been addressed a long time ago.

Thta’s actually what is kittening me off the most about all that story.
It’s amazing that Anet finally do something about that.
It’s irritating that they had to hear a streamer rage about it to feel concerned.

With all the feedback that people give, only top reddit post/raging streamer/…whateva mediatic stuff come to their hears.

(edited by papry.8096)

Compact bags an issue?

Behellagh.1468

Only reason that ANet is doing it is

• 1) the streamer doing this while playing on stream with her followers put a face on an issue that was previously reported for years. It’s like watching a Fail video, someone could describe the incident but you really “feel” it when you see it. It’s like when Joel said he didn’t understand why lag was such an issue with glider deployment until he simulated the lag players down under had and then it was obvious to him something needed to be done. Then there were a lot of comments from the reddit thread, Youtube, the twitch stream when it happen, comments from other GW2 streamers expressing annoyance along with Rubi’s personal experience which caused her to ask if such a fix was easy or hard.
  • 2) Upon asking around Rubi found out that a potential fix was trivial.

And if you didn’t see my previous post the original streamer upon hearing that ANet was going to do something begged them not to on stream because it would mess up too many people who like compact right were it is. We are talking within a minute upon hearing second handed what Rubi just finish saying in Guild Chat. The streamer didn’t think that her “passive aggressive rant” about something that’s been in game since launch would rally ANet to action. It was only highlighted and uploaded to YouTube because her followers thought it was funny and wanted a persistent copy of it, because Twitch purges.

So assuming ANet hears from her how she didn’t mean it, nothing is going to change but it raised their awareness that it’s an issue players come across every now and then and it can be aggravating.

RIP City of Heroes

Compact bags an issue?

Posted by: Sins.4782

Sins.4782

I really don’t understand why a function used as often as “Deposit Materials” is hidden under a dropdown menu anyway. Important functions like that should be in plain sight and not stuck behind additional clicks.

Compact bags an issue?

Guardian Of Tyria.6397

the original streamer upon hearing that ANet was going to do something begged them not to on stream because it would mess up too many people who like compact right were it is. We are talking within a minute upon hearing second handed what Rubi just finish saying in Guild Chat. The streamer didn’t think that her “passive aggressive rant” about something that’s been in game since launch would rally ANet to action. It was only highlighted and uploaded to YouTube because her followers thought it was funny and wanted a persistent copy of it, because Twitch purges.

If that is really true, then peachy should upload a video of her asking Anet to not make the change, or at least make a reddit thread or post here in the forums.

The problem with this change is three-fold.

1) it will mess up a large portion of the player base in their use of the drop down menu because of pure muscle memory

2) it is absolutely not necessary and only being done because of personal preference of a select group of people

3) and this is the biggest……. It was only addressed after a “famous” streamer ranted on her GW2 stream.

As many have said, this issue was brought up before but Anet did not think it was worth doing anything about, but along comes a streamer with connections to Anet who doesn’t like the way things are and Anet jumps at the idea to change the issue that she rants about.

it doesn’t matter how easy the fix is, it matters how quick of a response it got and how public the response was.

If Anet had this public of a response with all of their fixes and plans this wouldn’t be an issue, but it was the perception of special treatment that makes this simple change such a big deal

Compact bags an issue?

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

I use compact constantly. I lose count how much I use it on a daily basis.

Invisible bags are there for a reason. They’re your basket of ‘please don’t move/sell/deposit these items’ and they work well.

Waste of dev time working on such a trivial non-issue.

Compact bags an issue?

Posted by: Zok.4956

Zok.4956

Just going to move this here instead of the reference thread for sake/request of keeping that one clean.

Things Anet is working on

Deposit/compact bags button too close. Anet realized this was an issue when a streamer complained about it. They are working on a solution. Not coming next Tuesday but coming soon (still need to test it).

This is really not an issue. I would hate to see Anet waste dev time on this when the solutions are already in game for it.

It was annoying. Good, that it will be fixed. However, there are still a lot of other annoying things in the game, and a lot of unfixed bugs. Maybe that is, because no “streamer” rant about them? So, A-nets message seems to be: we should all now rant in streams and YouTube videos to get things done.

Compact bags an issue?

Behellagh.1468

Perhaps, but only if it’s a bug that disrupts game play, there’s a lot of “here here” from other players and the fix turns out to be trivial. There aren’t a lot of complaints that fit that narrow set of criteria.

Look before they changed it, the guild screen had the represent button to close to the quit with no confirmation button. Now how many players lost their personal guild bank when they accidentally clicked the wrong button? Got to type out the name of the mostly useless orphan letter to delete it but dissolving a guild is a one misclick away? And maybe it still is, not having a confirmation. But that’s another instance of a UI issue. Heck there is even a TVTrope about these kind of things.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CapsLockNumLockMissilesLock

This fix if it’s coming, since upon the news the streamer immediately asked ANet not to, it was low hanging fruit. A quick fix that can make players happy and make ANet look responsive to player issues. Like the toggle they are adding so players don’t have to hold down the control key to see interactive objects. Cheap QoL fix.

It’s also like adding gliding in core Tyria. All they needed to do was to add some trip wires tied to shutting off the glider around the JP rewards and they get to deliver something that players with HoT have been asking for since HoT and ANet gets to tease players without HoT by having gliders overhead.

But of course we’ll have players doing videos complaining about balance, clipping, animations, content, rewards, etc. Stuff that should be obvious as non-trivial issues.

RIP City of Heroes

Compact bags an issue?

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

I would really appreciate this change. My way of organizing is not the Anet way of organizing. Using only invisible bags is rubbish, as I do want to send stuff to my material storage. And I do want to sell stuff at the merchant. The invisible bag is not a single function bag, it has 3 functions in one.

Compact bags an issue?

Guardian Of Tyria.6397

If they are going to do this, the better do it so that it pleases both sides of the argument.

Best solution I’ve seen is here

Compact bags an issue?

Posted by: Cinnamon Goddess.3869

Cinnamon Goddess.3869

The compact function is broken and does need to be fixed. It seems to be an order issue. Whatever steps it is doing it is doing them in the wrong order. When I use this function it will often splits stacks for no reason. It will, if I have many stacks, steal from full stacks that are located in my invisible bags. It often will compact stacks leaving empty spaces in my inventory making me have to compact again. This feature needs to have its order of execution looked at and it needs to respect special bags.

Compact bags an issue?

Posted by: Siobhan.5273

Siobhan.5273

But the reason this caught ANet’s eye was the rant let the devs see the reaction of a player when this happens.

So, lesson is, if we all make videos of our reactions to things that upset us within GW2, we’re more likely to see a change? Got it.

*runs off to cast a fireball with a camera recording my reaction*

I’ve never had an issue with this, but I think if anyone were to honestly answer, I’d say most would say this is a minor issue at best.

The biggest problem, for me, is that there are a ton of valid bug reports in the bug section of the forums. Some of them have gone unaddressed for years (even after a developer said they’d look into the issue, in some cases) and have hundreds if not thousands of posts and views. One of the “teacher’s pets” complains about something, and, within a week, it is being addressed and “fixed”.

It basically says to most of the community that if you’re not a streamer you have no voice. If you’re not a streamer or content creator for GW2, your opinion doesn’t really matter. I agree and feel that Anet is particularly bad about only addressing issues from people that raise hell on Reddit or addressing issues from their popular content creators.

One of the examples of this is here: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Female-human-only-has-1-animation-now/first

It has been over a year since this was submitted and a few days later it is “currently under investigation”. It has been under investigation for over a year — if the issue is not going to be fixed, they could at least say so rather than continuously sweeping it under the rug.

So, yes, even if it only takes five minutes to swap those buttons around, I’d much rather that precious time being spent elsewhere. Either working on WvW, the numerous bugs in the bug report section, or finally getting around to adding these lost idle animations back in. Anything else rather than continuously reinventing the wheel.

I think this is another knee-jerk reaction that says a lot of negative stuff about this company.

This, I think is exactly what most people are thinking, Athena. Well said.

No news since October 28th 2014. Question asked straight up! 473 times. 647 days and thread locked..

(edited by Siobhan.5273)

Compact bags an issue?

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

I’d love an option somewhere that enables some kind of auto-compact: I.e. compact my bags all the time, without me having to even click Compact. As soon as something is added/removed from my bags, compact them. Compacting works for me the way I have my bags set up and it would be even better if it were automatic.

Compact bags an issue?

Behellagh.1468

Turn Send to Collection and Compact into toggles that would do that every time you open your inventory window. The other options under the gear are toggles.

RIP City of Heroes

Compact bags an issue?

Posted by: Sinbold.8723

Sinbold.8723

Worse thing is, she’s complaining about something she’s doing when SHE’S NOT EVEN PAYING ATTENTION! Here’s the video in question:

Compact bags an issue?

Posted by: fishball.7204

fishball.7204

She’s also using fractal bags but not using them properly at all. Basically she is a shining example of how not to play GW2.

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

Compact bags an issue?

Siobhan.5273

Worse thing is, she’s complaining about something she’s doing when SHE’S NOT EVEN PAYING ATTENTION! Here’s the video in question:

I liked the whole, “ArenaNet I don’t know if you’re listening, but I have a personal request, personal request..” and “If you can just do me a personal….Do me a solid.” and that she does this “many times a day” .. then you’d hope it wouldn’t continue to happen if it’s such an inconvenience and you’d resolve the problem…

I just don’t understand it. This was an issue for me a few times when I was new to the game. I then learned about using the proper bags to prevent this issue, and paying attention to my menus.

As others have mentioned, there are numerous things in game that need attention and have for a looong time. Heck, there are things in the game/forums that just need commenting on and we can’t even get that, let alone hopes that someone might not only comment, but say “fix incoming!

No news since October 28th 2014. Question asked straight up! 473 times. 647 days and thread locked..

Compact bags an issue?

Posted by: synk.6907

synk.6907

then you’d hope it wouldn’t continue to happen if it’s such an inconvenience and you’d resolve the problem...

I just don’t understand it. This was an issue for me a few times when I was new to the game. I then learned about using the proper bags to prevent this issue, and paying attention to my menus.

But this is the modern age, where you sue people and complain so that you don’t have to have personal accountability.

Regardless, "Deposit" should be a button, as should compact. They should not be hidden behind an options menu. So good change, long time coming, and don’t stop there with UX improvements, please!

Compact bags an issue?

Posted by: jagabs.5086

jagabs.5086

I think the best choice as a solution is to have “Deposit materials” a separate icon and insta-click button. This is more convenient.

Compact bags an issue?

Siobhan.5273

then you’d hope it wouldn’t continue to happen if it’s such an inconvenience and you’d resolve the problem…

But this is the modern age, where you sue people and complain so that you don’t have to have personal accountability.

Regardless, “Deposit” should be a button, as should compact. They should not be hidden behind an options menu. So good change, long time coming, and don’t stop there with UX improvements, please!

haha! Duly noted, synk. Duly noted.

I told my son that from now on, if he has a complaint, it needs to be in video form and sent to my phone.

He was amused… but, we’ll have to see if this happens. If it does… I will be the amused one!

Is it a horrid change? No. Was this requested many times from others? Yes. I guess the squeaky, streamer fave ranter got the wheel grease though, and it’s a shame it couldn’t have been that “easy” for the rest of the community that had been asking, though without the sigh fetching, begging and passive aggressiveness that was in that video..

Compact bags an issue?

Behellagh.1468

But she asks for loads of things to be from ANet, she was just as surprised that something would be done because of this as anyone and she walked back the request the moment she heard that ANet was going to do something because it would inconvenience too many players.

Her request was done for humorous effect, as an “entertainer” while streaming the game as she’s done several times previously about QoL issues. She was just as confused as anyone why ANet would change something that’s been there since launch if not before because of her passive/aggressive rant.

But the comments that rant generated in her stream, YouTube, reddit threads, made Rubi investigate. Faulting the streamer’s fault that Rubi went Nancy Drew to see if something could be done.

RIP City of Heroes

Compact bags an issue?

Posted by: Elden Arnaas.4870

Elden Arnaas.4870

There are players who love compact and use it all the time. And there are players who despise compact, and think it has no purpose but to mess up their inventory. I think the ideal solution is to allow players to enable/disable compact at their option.

Compact bags an issue?

Svarty.8019

I really don’t understand why a function used as often as “Deposit Materials” is hidden under a dropdown menu anyway. Important functions like that should be in plain sight and not stuck behind additional clicks.

If it’s so important, why can’t it be keybound?

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

Compact bags an issue?

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

Or you could just, you know, not click on “compact” if you don’t want it to compact. If you click it by accident then take your medicine and do better next time.

Or you could learn to be less precious about the inventory organisation. How much stuff do you need to permanently lug around anyway? Stick one invisible bag at the bottom and put your keys and salvage stuff in it.

I’d actually like the compact button to do more. I’d like it to sort too and I would not be too fussed about the sort order as long as it was consistent.

Compact bags an issue?

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I just find it amusing that when people want things fixed the fact that it would be quicker and easier to do than other changes in the works is brought up as a benefit. I can’t count the number of times I’ve seen people on this forum claim that any and all changes they want (everything from changing the colour of the cursor to making all armor skins available on all professions) would take “2 lines of code” to do.

But when it’s something that’s not considered important enough currently (regardless of the fact that there have been numerous topics on this forum over the years asking for exactly this change) even if it is genuinely a very small and simple fix that Anet themselves have said they can do quickly suddenly it’s not worth the effort and it’s shocking that they would spend the time on that when they could be doing other things instead.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Compact bags an issue?

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Can anyone tell me what they’re actually doing to prevent this issue?

I assume it was mentioned in a video somewhere since everyone but me seems to know all about it and I’ve not seen a written announcement anywhere.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Compact bags an issue?

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

This is really not an issue.

But it is. One that has been complained about many times already.

I would hate to see Anet waste dev time on this when the solutions are already in game for it.

The “solutions” do not actually solve much, i’m afraid.

The worst part about the streamer “raging” (video was titles something rage) about this is that they had the means to avoid it in their inventory, but chose not to utilize those means. If they had only put their fractal bags in the last slots, then items in those bags would not have compacted.

And the green/yellow/exotic drops would end up there instead of the top slots. No, thank you, this “solution” causes as many problems as it solves.

Please do not waste dev time on this. Use that time for more pressing real issues.

I’m sure that changing the order of two options cut heavily in the time to solve those other issues. I mean, it’s not like it’s something that might take 5 mins or so…

Seriously, if we’ll be waiting for small improvements/QoL upgrades until after Anet finishes fixing all the big issues, we’ll going to wait forever.

The real problem here is that Anet ignored all the voices pointing that out so far, and noticed this only after it appeared on a stream.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Compact bags an issue?

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

So we should have to carefully select exactly the right bags to put in exactly the right slots to avoid having a tiny mouse twitch turn into half an hour of placing inventory back in the desired order? I’ve only goofed maybe 3 times in 3 years, but it was a major hassle each time.

Plus I don’t sort things out by rarity, I sort them by function. I keep my invisible bag(s) at the bottom for irreplaceable items, and otherwise prefer generic bags when possible so that new acquisitions will always show up at the top. Whatever algorithm the Compact function uses, it bears no similarity whatsoever to how I place things in my bags to easily find. Salvage kits here, consumables there, spare unequipped weapons in this row, tonics down here, clothing changes by type of garment over here …

To you a waste of time, to me and others who have begged for this UI correction over the years a boon beyond compare. That little bit of tension every time I deposit materials is a burr of annoyance that adds up.

In 3 years of playing, I’ve never accidentally compacted my bags. But I play with my important items compacted anyway.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

Compact bags an issue?

Svarty.8019

Can anyone tell me what they’re actually doing to prevent this issue?

I assume it was mentioned in a video somewhere since everyone but me seems to know all about it and I’ve not seen a written announcement anywhere.

I think they’re just swapping the order of the items on the menu.