Completion, WvW and boredom

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: jason.9217

jason.9217

I’ve got 100% completion on one character and have 5 others in various stages of leveling. I have no incentive to continue leveling others because its boring once you’ve done it once or more times. For instance, I can load a level 20 mesmer but running around the same zones again and repeating everytihng is tedious and not fun. Basically you spend a week or so re-visiting the same places and doing the same things over and over for each character and this is not fun in the least.

PVP and WvW break that up but after a few months of WvW, it too is getting old fast as the same old issues crop up. Nobody listens to commanders and a commander interface/HUD is non-existant, making the point of commanders questionable in its current state.

FOTM and the other dungeons were fun the first 3-4 times but its always the same old same.

How can Anet make people in the same boat as me happy?
Make a truly random dungeon with the goal being to recover some “decent” item of the players choosing. I don’t care about stories, character building, cutscenes, etc.
The dungeon could be unlimited in depth, sort of like fotm level selection wise but without the lame missions. Throw monsters, traps and puzzles into the random dungeon layout and it becomes interesting because its challenging and “New” visually.

Also, random dungeons will help stop people memorizing what to do where and when, which IMHO is important in keeping it “fresh” and “exciting”.

I just want to explore “new” locations, kill stuff and feel like I am being rewarded for my time in a satisfactory manner. I don’t want to login and feel a sense of dread and despair at having to level in the same places, killing the same things and receiving the same garbage loot.

I’ve been playing since Beta and have yet to get a precursor and yet some newb with an account less than a week old gets 3 in 2 days in WvW. Ridiculous loot drop rate balance issues there.

The “wow I want to login” factor has become the “ughh, do I really want to login” factor.

Boardgames FTW:
HeroQuest, Talisman, Heroscape, Munchkin Quest
DungeonQuest, Dungeon Run etc…

Posted by: Amra.6028

Amra.6028

You want a dungeon that features endlessly mashing monsters to receive an item you choose before? I see you making a post about how boring this gets really fast after 10 runs.

Posted by: jason.9217

jason.9217

Another thing is the complete uselessness of legendary over exotics.
For the amount of money and effort required to acquire them at least make them worth getting. Besides unique skins the damage or effects should be more powerful than an exotic, like having base stats and +100 damage or something.

Currently for less than 10g you can get an exotic that is equivalent in damage output to a legendary that costs 500g+ to craft. The logic in this is not apparent unless its simply all about the farming which is what kills games like this.

Anet needs to fix:
1. Dungeons. Make more and make the layout & monsters/traps/puzzles random with list of rewards player can choose. Good rewards will incentive’s players to play random dungeons. Slight variations like in FOTM just don’t cut it. Keep it fresh and exciting by truly randomizing.
2. Legendary weapons need more reason to exist beyond being expensive status symbols.
3. WvW needs an overhaul in the Commander mechanics. Commanders need a HUD to manage and organize troops. Commanders should have option to boot Tourists and AFK’ers out of WvW to give spots to people who want to help defend and conquer. There should also be an option in the HUD to block/boot certain people from joining your squad if they are immature, spam, etc in order to give spot to a contributing team member.
4. WvW communication system is lacking. Getting things done is very difficult and it appears that zerg mentality is all that works. How often has there been siege sitting unbuilt that could have helped sway a battle and yet everyone was too busy chasing badges and the fight is lost while the commander gives up trying to get the siege built.
Teamwork rules the day and the current communication and commander options completely hinder this.
5. Stuns and other disabilities hitting one player from multiple players should not stack. For instance getting paralyzed by 2 mesmers and then killed by a thief in WvW and being unable to move and watching your HP go from full to zero in 3 seconds is disheartening and makes you want to throw you computer out the window.
6. Regain control of the AH and fix the economy, set max allowable values for items not just lowest sellable price.

Notes and impressions for new players:
1. Its fun when you first start playing and exploring, trying out the races and classes.
2. Prepare for lots of farming if you want to advance in the game. If farming is not your thing, look elsewhere at a game like Torchlight 2 perhaps.
3. At least 75% of players are buying gold and items using real money either with Anet or gold farmers. Anet cannot ban 75% of their player base so the playing field is very uneven. Be prepared to pay to win.

Boardgames FTW:
HeroQuest, Talisman, Heroscape, Munchkin Quest
DungeonQuest, Dungeon Run etc…

Posted by: Chamone.6890

Chamone.6890

Legendaries should be useless. They absolutely do not need to be anything other than expensive status symbols. If you’re looking for a game with a continual gear treadmill type of progression, please look elsewhere.

The point of them is that they look cool, not that they make you stronger. They hinted at making them stronger when Ascended weapons come out, but hopefully the huge backlash against Ascended has let them rethink that idea… We shall see.

As for WvW, They’ve acknowledged that it is pretty much a Beta test framework in it’s current form, and they’ll be adding to it as the years go on. I agree that Commander is probably the area that needs the most work.

I’m pretty bored of WvW now as well, but you can still have fun running around in a tight group of 20 with a couple of Mesmers and full voice comms.

There’s a big WvW update coming in Feb, so I’d wait for that if I were you.

I don’t agree with your points 2 or 3 for new players tbh, There’s no farming at all required to progress, you can get a full set of Exotics very easily with no farming at all.

Buying gold and items makes no difference, there is no concept of “winning” in guild wars 2, so there can be no Pay to Win.

Winning in PvP cannot be bought, nor can it in WvW, so I’m not sure how you can make the connection between spending money and being more powerful in the game, it’s simply not designed that way.

(edited by Chamone.6890)

Posted by: Tiger.7506

Tiger.7506

Legendaries should be useless. .

I do not agree with that!

Posted by: Samulus.3025

Samulus.3025

5. Stuns and other disabilities hitting one player from multiple players should not stack. For instance getting paralyzed by 2 mesmers and then killed by a thief in WvW and being unable to move and watching your HP go from full to zero in 3 seconds is disheartening and makes you want to throw you computer out the window.

I found this one amusing. You are, in essence, complaining that three other players combined their builds and skills to kill you. You are complaining that a 3v1 happened and you lost. I wonder how kitten you really are to complain about such a thing.

By the way, if this situation warrants such a gripe, there is such a thing as Stability. The rest of us modify our builds to counter or at least accommodate our own frustrations, there’s no reason that you cannot either.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way. – Mark Twain