Concerns over the upcoming THREE DAY event

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Steelpusher.1684

Steelpusher.1684

Why is the event coming 10th-13th september only a three day event?!

Why are there rewards designed for it?! Not everyone is available over such a short period of time. I, myself, am away that weekend. What happened to two week long events? Even LA’s destruction was two weeks. Two weeks is enough time for people to be able to find time and grind out the rewards. In a time of need in Tyria with such a dry spell of content, and yet they are giving the playerbase only 3 days….

The rewards are the main issue. I get that beta weekends are short events, hell, since beta of the core game, i have missed half of the betas due to being busy. But i dont mind that. The betas are designed to get people into the game and get feedback. Anyone is suitable for this. As for an ingame thing with rewards tied to it… not all the players will be able to take part! Especially on a thursday through to sunday….

When they have partly designed it to get f2p people into guilds to do the content, 3 days is not enough time to find and settle into a guild either.

What do you people think?

Steel

(Edit: originally put thursday to saturday)

(edited by Steelpusher.1684)

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Maybe they’ll have another after this one.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

I’ve been thinking about that myself. why just 3 days. The only thing that made sense to me is this is maybe the first step in a greater event? Or may the rewards will be so good that letting the event run for a long time could potentially destabilize the economy? Or maybe because of changes to heart of thorns they can only afford to have changes running over the weekend when not many code changes are to be expected? (dont imagine they’re editing the life game while working on HoT though so this is unlikely)

cant think of anything else.

Posted by: Ganathar.4956

Ganathar.4956

Maybe they’ll have another after this one.

This is probably the reason. The event is likely a taste for things to come, just think about it. Why would the HoT pre-event be available so early when compared to the release date?

Just a flesh wound.3589

While they are unlikely to have more Living Story instances in the old zones, it would make sense for them to have occasional Living Story events from now on. Not only will it give the new people an idea of what the game is about but also pull level 80s from the expansion once it begins and give them something different to do besides grind the new content.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

It’s the weekend after the US Labor Day holiday.

Considering the zones it’s limited to, it’s really targeting the P4F players who just started the game Saturday. They are also pushing guild recruitment during this time and the datamine of potential rewards you can by with event loot are targeting players who haven’t bought LS 2 but want Mawdrey or at least a kickstart for Maguma Wastes rewards, but we’ll see if that’s the case.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: MegumiAzusa.2918

MegumiAzusa.2918

If it’s anything like Scarlet’s attacks (Scarlet’s Minions Invade!) it will cause all areas to be empty but the event locations.

Behellagh.1468

The event isn’t continuous so it may not empty the other maps all the time.

RIP City of Heroes

Behellagh.1468

Yeah, it’s the 15-25 maps without boss train event maps.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

I am looking more at it as an open beta for new event structures and mob mechanics they want to introduce in HoT. So i expect it to be quite buggy or they are just doing it to collect data.

Anyways, if they expect it to be buggy and in beta stage, I also wouldnt announce it as 2 week long content because they would have to deliver a good product, which would mean sevewral hotfixes over the next week or two. If they just run it for a weekend, they probably will have enough data and can work on fixing the bugs and implementing changes off line.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Behellagh.1468

Rumor is it’s a way to test their new NPC critter AI on a large scale.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

I found it off too. They are starting it mid-day on a Thursday. Which means most players (at least in the US) will miss a good chunk of the first 2 days of something that is already limited if we work or go to school.

Just a flesh wound.3589

WoodenPotatoes video suggested they are trying out the new, mob AI that’s used in the expansion maps in the vanilla maps.

Building a better centaur has a short description of the new AI.

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I looked at the dates and times for that and just sort of went “hmph”

The timing pretty much sucks for me (Noon on Thursday to Noon on Sunday, really?) , I am going to try to get on after work to participate.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

While I understand the concern was about short-term events, and not quibbles about the exact number of days, I did want to take this opportunity to say that we posted an incorrect end date for the Mordrem Invasion Event. The actual event ends on Monday, September 14. So it will run a full four days.

Apologies for that error, which we are correcting. Again, I do understand the question isn’t about 3 or 4 days, but this update was news I thought you’d like to know because it does mean that it will run through the weekend.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Even if the event lasts two weeks, not everyone who plays regularly is going to be available.

We just need to get used to the idea that unless one plays every day, each of us is going to miss out on something. I really don’t want ANet to do fewer “events” just to accommodate our real lives. (On the contrary, I’d prefer to see them do more, even though I wouldn’t be able to attend them all.)

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Even if the event lasts two weeks, not everyone who plays regularly is going to be available.

We just need to get used to the idea that unless one plays every day, each of us is going to miss out on something. I really don’t want ANet to do fewer “events” just to accommodate our real lives. (On the contrary, I’d prefer to see them do more, even though I wouldn’t be able to attend them all.)

golf clap

Posted by: Ticky.5831

Ticky.5831

I think that is partly the point of the daily login rewards, so that people will at least log in and see upcoming announcements.

Posted by: Roguedemonhunter.9621

Roguedemonhunter.9621

Are Ranger/Necro and Rune/Sigil and inventory pet kit pets (ogre pet whistle for example) spawned pets going to benefit from the new AI? :o

Posted by: Mr Quinn.9815

Mr Quinn.9815

what event?

any link?

this notice was brought to you by a Misguided Misfit

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

what event?

any link?

Here you go:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/the-mordrem-are-coming/

Good luck.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I was disappointed by it for the same reason.

I may be able to play a little bit on Thursday night but after that I’ll be away from home with no access to the game (or time to play even if I had a compatible computer) until after it’s finished.

I fully accept that not everyone will be able to do everything. I missed the last beta weekend because I was also away that weekend (August and September seem to be insanely busy for me) but that’s exactly why bi-weekly or monthly events were better – it’s far more likely that any individual person will be able to find time to play in 14 days than in 4 days. I wasn’t any less busy during Season 1 but I never missed an entire release.

On a related note does anyone know what the datamined rewards are? I’m most disappointed at not getting to play the event, but I’m also a bit worried about what items I’ll be missing so it’d be nice to find out.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Dark Jericho.8609

Dark Jericho.8609

There doesn’t have to be fewer events, they can just repeat them more often and still introduce new ‘phases.’ These events seem like the karka invasion all over again but at least this time ArenaNet seems to have learned a little from past mistakes and had the courtesy of giving exact times when the events commence, rather than last time where we had to get info from unofficial channels like obscure tweets from a random developer or a post on reddit.

Also this time the servers probably won’t give us 5-20 second skill activation delays and mass disconnects like the karka invasion, which also happened to coincide with a free-to-play weekend.

Though really, pre-expansion limited time events seem to be common in MMOs from my experience, so I’m not really surprised ArenaNet decided to keep the tradition going; I was definitely expecting something like this.