Condition (bleed) Mathematics, need help.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: RapidSausage.4620

RapidSausage.4620

Alright, i’ve been having a chat with a guy about whether Condition damage or condition duration is better for damage per second and overall damage.

So i tapped into the never ending pool of information that we call the GW2 wiki to check out the formulas.

and there is just some things i don’t understand.

this is the equation to calculate bleed damage per second per stack:
lvl/2 + (0.05*Condition damage) + 2.5

Assuming we have a 10 seconds bleed with a Condition Damage coefficient of 1.00 at +0% condition duration, and base Condition Damage at 1000, can someone tell me how much Damage per tick, and how much overall damage over how long of a duration will it produce for the following cases:
1. +50% condition duration
2. +500 condition damage

please tell me how to calculate this cuz it’s a mess in here.

edit: i should’ve asked this from the start, does condition duration increase the damage of the condition or spread the total damage over the adjusted duration?

for example, if a bleed does 100dmg per sec, will 10 sec bleed + 40% CDuration cause a bleed that does 1400 damage over 14 seconds?, OR a bleed that does 1000 damage over 14 seconds?, OR some other value?

(edited by RapidSausage.4620)

Posted by: Keiran.1896

Keiran.1896

Well… if your formula is exact, pretty easy, isn’t it?^^

If you have only one stack then,

1000 condition + 50% duration :

1/2 + (0.05×1000) + 2.5
=0.5 + (0.05×1000) + 2.5
=3 + 50
=53 per second, over 20 seconds instead of 10.

1000+500 condition damage = 1500 condition damage :

1/2 + (0.05×1500) + 2.5
= 0.5 + (0.05×1500) + 2.5
=3+75
=78 per second, so 780 over 10 seconds.

Though I am good at maths with numbers but not really for game mechanics. I might be forgetting something^^

(edited by Keiran.1896)

RapidSausage.4620

Well… if your formula is exact, pretty easy, isn’t it?^^

If you have only one stack then,

1000 condition + 50% duration :

1/2 + (0.05×1000) + 2.5
=0.5 + (0.05×1000) + 2.5
=3 + 50
=53 per second, over 20 seconds instead of 10.

1000+500 condition damage = 1500 condition damage :

1/2 + (0.05×1500) + 2.5
= 0.5 + (0.05×1500) + 2.5
=3+75
=78 per second, so 780 over 10 seconds.

Though I am good at maths with numbers but not really for game mechanics. I might be forgetting something^^

+50% condition duration of 10 seconds is 20 seconds?, wut!?

Posted by: Servanin.5021

Servanin.5021

Duration doesn’t spread the damage, it just adds more ticks that do the full bleed damage. Extra duration is never really wasted since bleeds stack in intensity rather than duration, but i’ve also heard that they only tick at 1 second intervals, so if you have a 5 second bleed and 10% bleed duration, it’ll round back down to 5.

RapidSausage.4620

Duration doesn’t spread the damage, it just adds more ticks that do the full bleed damage. Extra duration is never really wasted since bleeds stack in intensity rather than duration, but i’ve also heard that they only tick at 1 second intervals, so if you have a 5 second bleed and 10% bleed duration, it’ll round back down to 5.

so this means it’s more beneficial to stack condition duration for already long damaging conditions?
and is it better for shorter duration conditions to stack condition damage?

(edited by RapidSausage.4620)

Posted by: Servanin.5021

Servanin.5021

Both? They don’t directly compete with each other, the runes that have +bleed duration on them also have condition damage.

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

Imo, +damage is always better than +duration.

First off, if your existing damage drops a mob in 10 seconds then adding duration do nothing. The mob will still drop in 10 seconds, and your additional seconds are wasted. Adding damage however means more damage pr second, and so needs fewer seconds to drop the same mob.

second, any PVPer with working mental capacity will try to get rid off conditions as fast as possible. meaning that +duration again is a waste as it is unlikely that a condition is allowed to run its length. +damage however means that you increase the damage of even those few ticks that managed to get thru before your foe got rid of the conditions affecting him.

In any case a condition attack will always be inferior to a direct damage attack unless you’re hunting heavily armored mobs. This because direct damage is done damage, and must be healed. Condition damage is potential damage, and can be removed before it do the damage stated in the tooltip.

Never mind that in heavy engagements, condition damage has a hard cap at 25 stacks of bleed and confuse, and a single stack pr burning and poison. direct damage scales with however many you can gather to hit on the target, with fury potentially making one guy count for 2-3 depending on his crit damage percentage.

(edited by digiowl.9620)

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

Both? They don’t directly compete with each other, the runes that have +bleed duration on them also have condition damage.

Well bleed and confusion stack in intensity, so there duration means that you can potentially have 25 lines of bleed doing damage at the same time. But you need to maintain at least 7-8 of them to match a single burn, and burn scales better from +damage.