Condition damage in PvE

Condition damage in PvE

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: RoyHarmon.5398

RoyHarmon.5398

Since the condition damage buff, I’ve noticed a lot of enemies in PvE being WAY more challenging. That wouldn’t necessarily be a bad thing; however, the particular aspects I’d like to discuss are just way over the top.

First example: Guild bounties. Specifically, Half-Baked Komali. This boss has a fire shield that applies burning to whoever hits it. I see on the wiki that there are supposed to be some kind of jellies or something to remove his fire shield, but I’ve never seen them.
Prior to the condition damage update, constant burning wasn’t a big deal; you could just keep attacking the boss, healing through the burn or simply ignoring it if you have enough passive regeneration.
After the update, it’s a horrible, hopeless mess. The burning doesn’t stack duration anymore, it stacks intensity, and that’s a very different situation. You hit the boss a few times and you’re dead; you can try to cleanse the burning as much as you can, but it’s just delaying the inevitable. Unless you’re at a waypoint with a large, DPS-heavy group, this is an unrealistic fight.

I don’t even want to think about Diplomat Tarban. That guy was a pain before, but with a small (and skilled) enough group, it was possible, though having more people scaled it up a bit. I’m glad I haven’t had to try fighting him since the condi buff, but I can’t give specifics on the balance of that encounter.

Second example: Ascalonian Catacombs. This dungeon is no longer suitable for level 30/35. The spider queen is much harder now than it was before, though that’s only one of many enemies that pile on the conditions here. Kholer is certainly no pushover these days, but he can be avoided easily enough. Gravelings… Gravelings are everywhere, and they can no longer be ignored. The massive condition damage from those guys is overwhelming.
For a party full of skilled players on level-80 characters, this may not be so bad. I’m sure there are plenty reading this who complete this dungeon daily. But even those players will have to admit that if a group of 5 players at the recommended level (30 story, 35 explorable) tried to play through this dungeon, they would find it much more challenging now than it was before (and it was never exactly a cakewalk for new players, anyway).

There are probably more examples, but I’m tired of typing. Probably more of the guild bounties, like Yanonka, 2-MULT, etc. I haven’t tried playing through any other dungeons since the update, but there are probably encounters there that could use a balance pass, too.

Has anyone else noticed any other bosses that seem much more deadly after the condition damage update? Do we expect some PvE balance changes in the near future?

“It is the stupidest children who are the most childish
and the stupidest grown-ups who are the most grown-up.”
- C. S. Lewis

Condition damage in PvE

Posted by: Ariurotl.3718

Ariurotl.3718

Champion wasps in Fields of Ruin are hilarious now, stacking poison like crazy.

Condition damage in PvE

RoyHarmon.5398

Yeah, I noticed that, though it didn’t seem as severe as stacking burning and such.

Am I overreacting? I’m surprised more people haven’t commented. Was this topic already discussed at length and I missed it?

- C. S. Lewis

Condition damage in PvE

Posted by: Narrrz.7532

Narrrz.7532

most people probably assume you are talking about player condition damage and just skip over the topic entirely

Condition damage in PvE

Posted by: Alerno.1425

Alerno.1425

I like how they are now tougher and more challenging fights. Before they were walkovers, but now you actually have to work together and not just pile DPS on them.

Please Anet, do not “fix” what is not broken and is actually better for the game.

Condition damage in PvE

Posted by: Pino.5209

Pino.5209

What on earth are you rambling about? they are still walkover -_- seriously. They used to be a breeze, now they tickle … seriously. lol

Condition damage in PvE

Posted by: roachsrealm.9284

roachsrealm.9284

some of these fights do require a little more healing, condi removal, or at the very least paying attention to the fight now. Previously these fights were mostly steamroll over and barely pay attention.

The half baked komali fight has been bugged off an on since its inception. I think I saw the oozes spawn once in the several dozen times we have had to fight him. at this point, since we no longer need the influence reward from running a bounty successfully, we just pick an easier target so everyone can get their personal rewards and be done with it.

also in this category for crazy bosses and their conditions: Lyssa priest in Arah P4 can now dish out 20+ stacks of confusion on everyone. quickly. saw a report someone had close to 70 stacks at one point. O_o

Smitten Mittens (The Gothic Embrace [Goth], Fort Aspenwood)

Condition damage in PvE

Posted by: Varezenem.2813

Varezenem.2813

If it is as bad as you say it is it’s actually a good thing. It makes dedicated support viable.

Senbu Ren[Wind]
Herald of Ventari

Condition damage in PvE

Posted by: TheFantasticGman.9451

TheFantasticGman.9451

If it is as bad as you say it is it’s actually a good thing. It makes dedicated support mandatory for Half-Baked.

FTFY, and yes, that’s bad for GW2.

We just don’t do it since it’s been mostly bugged since the beginning of it. We just do the easier ones and get the comms.

Speaking from a PVE-only point of view…

Condition damage in PvE

Varezenem.2813

If it is as bad as you say it is it’s actually a good thing. It makes dedicated support mandatory for Half-Baked.

We just don’t do it since it’s been mostly bugged since the beginning of it. We just do the easier ones and get the comms.

Do you realize that a dedicated support will be required for the HoT challenging content?

Senbu Ren[Wind]
Herald of Ventari

Condition damage in PvE

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Do you realize that a dedicated support will be required for the HoT challenging content?

You do realize that a dedicated support twill certainly not be required for the HoT challenging content right?

This game is fun!

Condition damage in PvE

Posted by: LastShot.4762

LastShot.4762

Meh, support in zerker gear is still support, it’s not like cleansing/boon/reflect need any of the defensive stats anyway.

Condition damage in PvE

Varezenem.2813

You do realize that a dedicated support twill certainly not be required for the HoT challenging content right?

This game is fun!

http://www.tentonhammer.com/news/guild-wars-2/guild-wars-2-colin-johanson-clarifies-his-points-interest-comment
https://youtu.be/KI9PQjWoPV4 4:30 to 6:10
It is also the reasoning behind revenant ventari/staff spec.
It seems that I need to clarify that I won’t be playing support or have the intention to do so I have been playing glass canon builds for over 10 years…

Senbu Ren[Wind]
Herald of Ventari

(edited by Varezenem.2813)

Condition damage in PvE

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

This game is fun!

http://www.tentonhammer.com/news/guild-wars-2/guild-wars-2-colin-johanson-clarifies-his-points-interest-comment
It is also the reasoning behind revenant ventari/staff spec.
It seems that I need to clarify that I won’t be playing support or have the intention to do so I have been playing glass canon builds for over 10 years…

So from the same guy who said dungeons in GW2 were so hard that no one in the Anet QA team had ever beaten them before launch… yeah I think i’m safe lol.

Condition damage in PvE

Posted by: Swoo.5079

Swoo.5079

So from the same guy who said dungeons in GW2 were so hard that no one in the Anet QA team had ever beaten them before launch… yeah I think i’m safe lol.

Considering players complained that melee was useless back then…

Ascended items are Anet biggest mistake and a kneejerk reaction.

Condition damage in PvE

Posted by: NikeEU.7690

NikeEU.7690

Colin later clarified his comments on reddit and indicated not the dedicated anything would be required, only that it wouldn’t be useless to have full support character.

PSA: any healing you can achieve from a single dedicated healer you can surpass with 5 berserkers using coordination to blast water fields and trait/gear for perma-regeneration.

[DnT]::Nike::
www.twitch.tv/nike_dnt

Condition damage in PvE

Varezenem.2813

Colin later clarified his comments on reddit and indicated not the dedicated anything would be required, only that it wouldn’t be useless to have full support character.

PSA: any healing you can achieve from a single dedicated healer you can surpass with 5 berserkers using coordination to blast water fields and trait/gear for perma-regeneration.

Thanks for the info I will check it out.

Senbu Ren[Wind]
Herald of Ventari

Condition damage in PvE

Posted by: Tongku.5326

Tongku.5326

^^^
This

Another words, coordination, team skill, not just individual player skills. You should also look to your team builds, not just individual player builds. Usually in a group of 5 players, if each person has just a single condi cleanse, and there are 2 team cleansing players, you can basically laugh at condis. Remember, the game is balanced around team play, not single player play.

Heavy Deedz – COSA – SF

Condition damage in PvE

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Here’s a link to the post Nike mentioned.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3czh8f/wooden_potatoes_guild_wars_2_new_maguuma_teaser/ct0zl4g

Condition damage in PvE

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Wow that explains the mess that took place the last time we did Komali lol

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Condition damage in PvE

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

Condition damage in PvE needs to be looked at on players too. Some classes deal plenty while others struggle. In fact it’s rather sad that Necromancers, the so called masters of conditions, are one of the worst at applying condition damage.

Condition damage in PvE

Posted by: Muusic.2967

Muusic.2967

Unless you’re at a waypoint with a large, DPS-heavy group, this is an unrealistic fight.

This is the key to a lot of these bounties now, don’t engage unless you’re near a wp. Smaller guilds should probably wait til another guild who needs the same bounty shows up which means doing it during prime time.

As for dungeons, some of the mobs are stacking heavy dots but a well rounded group can easily get around that. Some full zerker gorups are getting destroyed trying to do it the old way.

Be who you are and say what you feel for those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind
~Dr. Seuss

Condition damage in PvE

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

True and yet, how many builds have access to blast finishers? My Necro said, “WTF is a Blast finisher? A simple trait swap can give decent sustained healing. For example and Ele’s “soothing mist”, a Guardians “Symbol Healing” and “Battle Presence”, and a Necro’s “Vampiric Presence”, all add additional passive healing beyond just the Regen boon. Individually they aren’t that strong but, together they work well. Then we have proc’ing dark fields for Life Stealing too. Little things that don’t require investing into healing power to get.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Condition damage in PvE

RoyHarmon.5398

Unless you’re at a waypoint with a large, DPS-heavy group, this is an unrealistic fight.

This is the key to a lot of these bounties now, don’t engage unless you’re near a wp. Smaller guilds should probably wait til another guild who needs the same bounty shows up which means doing it during prime time.

As for dungeons, some of the mobs are stacking heavy dots but a well rounded group can easily get around that. Some full zerker gorups are getting destroyed trying to do it the old way.

A smaller guild can’t wait very long for some of those bounties. Especially when there happens to be a world boss about to spawn in the same map. Those can be hard to avoid, since a world boss spawns every 15 minutes and the guild bounties are randomly chosen. Asking if anyone’s seen Devious Teesa when the Claw of Jormag is up is a lost cause.

Regarding the dungeons… I’m not talking about “full zerker groups,” I’m talking about the players who reach level 30 or 35 and get a letter saying they should check out this dungeon. If they do, they’ll be very disappointed by the experience.

- C. S. Lewis

(edited by RoyHarmon.5398)

Condition damage in PvE

Posted by: FrostSpectre.4198

FrostSpectre.4198

Didn’t they update all significant boss mobs to have double HP? World bosses most certainly did receive it, dunno if they changed bounty bosses though.

But in general, any mob, that is not in Southsun Cove, Dry Top or Silverwastes, have pitiful stats (mostly just Vitality and Power, every other stats are extremely low, especially armor) and extremely poor attacks (long windup times, so slow that dodging or blocking isn’t exactly needed to avoid them)…

Example Risen Putrifiers in Cursed Shore, it’s deep in enemy territory, but the putrifiers don’t put up much of a fight, since they have no way of dealing damage properly and simple berserker DPS will cut them quickly into assorted shaped objects within few seconds, due to complete lack of defensive abilities.
Condition builds will suffer with these foes, since any berserker will kill it within few seconds, while conditions need time, especially seconds, to deal damage…

Well, ANet has promised to update mobs (vanilla maps and dungeons, except starter maps) to offer proper combat, which is more than just full berserker DPS “spam skill 1111”. I hope it happens soon, or when HoT is officially released

I’m a casual PvE adventurer, I enjoy combat, adventure and helping, but not farming.
I rarely do PvP or Hard PvE, unless it’s organized.

Condition damage in PvE

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

You can either waste all your blasts trying to coordinate on the one water field that occasionally gets dropped by the ele or ranger (which probably has fire or light fields stacked over it) and most likely end up dead, or you can just get a Ventari Rev to run the inevitable new cdmg/pre/hp/set and auto-heal everyone and not worry about it at all.