in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

#TeamJadeQuarry

Congrats ANet (and the players of GW2)

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Nice, they are even offering a free trial weekend….

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Congratulations, ArenaNet. Job well done! =)

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

Uh good to know.

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Posted by: Somoe.3621

Somoe.3621

Congrats, Anet! :D

PS: inb4 doom-and-gloom QQers.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Interesting but won’t stop the QQers as they will just say the game sold 3 million then promptly fell over and died.

What we could REALLY use when arguing with negative Nancys discussing this is the total number of sales and also some hard numbers on concurrency.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

VOLKON.1290

Colin had mentioned not terribly too long ago that they were close to releasing another sales milestone once they hit a specific target… I wonder what that target is and how that’s going?

#TeamJadeQuarry

Posted by: Berkhof.5804

Berkhof.5804

This is great news.
I also dont get when people say the game is a ghost town thought. Sure some players have left, always happens in MMOs, but on my server (SoR) i find there to be just as many people playing now, as there was throughout September. They are in different zones now, or in WvW (which almost always has a que) but even the low to mid level zones i aways see people running around, and the Metas usually draw a pretty big crowd.

VOLKON.1290

This is great news.
I also dont get when people say the game is a ghost town thought. Sure some players have left, always happens in MMOs, but on my server (SoR) i find there to be just as many people playing now, as there was throughout September. They are in different zones now, or in WvW (which almost always has a que) but even the low to mid level zones i aways see people running around, and the Metas usually draw a pretty big crowd.

You’re on SoR so you’ve seen this too (JQ here), but look at the server populations after they’ve raised the cap a few times already… we have at least four hitting Full again. The population is quite healthy.

#TeamJadeQuarry

Posted by: Zoid.2568

Zoid.2568

Colin had mentioned not terribly too long ago that they were close to releasing another sales milestone once they hit a specific target… I wonder what that target is and how that’s going?

I’d guess it’s 5 or 6 millions. 4 millions isn’t really that special if they slowly but steady sell more and more boxes, they will hit a bigger number soon and over 3 millions were still 5 months after release and now it’s over 9 months.

Posted by: Peetee.9406

Peetee.9406

Any MMO can be the fastest selling MMO when you pick a random arbitrary point like 9 months.

SWTOR sold 2 million copies in its 1st month and WoW has sold over 100 million copies in 7 years.

What an awful statistic!

Kayku
[CDS] Caedas
Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

All this money made and we got nothing in return but more gem store items, awesome.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Posted by: Wallace MacBix.2089

Wallace MacBix.2089

All this money made and we got nothing in return but more gem store items, awesome.

We’re getting free updates every 2 weeks, aren’t we? Plus “bigger” (like the wallet for example) updates almost every month

Posted by: Naus the Gobbo.5172

Naus the Gobbo.5172

Yeah.

Except for all the content they’ve released since launch. But wait, you didn’t personally like any of that content so it doesn’t count as content, right?

What we do in life echoes in eternity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zkT2uZAGA – GW2 – A world of wonder

Posted by: Iconik.8712

Iconik.8712

Fastest selling! Great! Grats everyone. Even more interesting is that REVENUE has gone up even if sales have flattened. That shows ppl are sticking around and buying stuff.

Oh Hey Girl – Troll Thief Extraordinaire Tarnished Coast – www.twitch.tv/iconikk

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

Yeah.

Except for all the content they’ve released since launch. But wait, you didn’t personally like any of that content so it doesn’t count as content, right?

What content? Where are they at? Oh wait, i know, deleted because they were temporary.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Posted by: Iconik.8712

Iconik.8712

It’s still content. Still fun. Still keeps me busy.

Oh Hey Girl – Troll Thief Extraordinaire Tarnished Coast – www.twitch.tv/iconikk

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Indeed, a very nice feat, especially in this age with all those MMOs out there.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Zoid.2568

Zoid.2568

Any MMO can be the fastest selling MMO when you pick a random arbitrary point like 9 months.

SWTOR sold 2 million copies in its 1st month and WoW has sold over 100 million copies in 7 years.

What an awful statistic!

GW2 sold 2 million in 2 weeks.

WoW vanilla retail game sell for like 1 dollar. I could buy 1000 of those right now.
Prices goes down so you can’t really go past 12 months and still count who sold most.

(edited by Zoid.2568)

Posted by: Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

Impressive, especially considering it hasn’t even launched in China yet.

IT’S A SWORD. THEY’RE NOT MEANT TO BE SAFE.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

congrats !
And the free trial is very good news, I have some friends who have been waiting for this

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Yeah I know right…

http://abload.de/img/gw2yearone6jkfp.png

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

I knew within the first 10 minutes of playing the beta that this game was going to be something special

Congratulations!

VOLKON.1290

It would be nice for someone from ANet to come in and take a well-deserved bow… <hint>

#TeamJadeQuarry

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

Or give us on update on that 3 million figure. We want to know where we at.

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Its been less than a year.

We have had multiple updates.

We are not paying a sub fee so your one time box purchase paid for your permanent access to the game…

That, “nothing,” you refer to includes potentially hundreds of hours of gameplay.

I get that you are disappointed in the game. I am less than delighted with how significant aspects of the game have been implemented as well. But claims such as, “nothing,” paint those who have legitimate complaints as not worth listening to. That sort of ludicrous complaint discredits any constructive or accurate or insightful criticism you, and others, might make in the eyes of community members and perhaps even developers.
—————————————————————-

Kudos to ANet. Lets see if the next nine months can include fixes to make the game more interesting for everyone.

Posted by: Jrunyon.3012

Jrunyon.3012

Congrats Anet! Me and my friends have been enjoying your game since beta and I am sure we will enjoy it for years to come!

Nesmee – Thief
[OHai] – Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: kRiza krimos.1637

kRiza krimos.1637

Its been less than a year.

We have had multiple updates.

We are not paying a sub fee so your one time box purchase paid for your permanent access to the game…

That, “nothing,” you refer to includes potentially hundreds of hours of gameplay.

I get that you are disappointed in the game. I am less than delighted with how significant aspects of the game have been implemented as well. But claims such as, “nothing,” paint those who have legitimate complaints as not worth listening to. That sort of ludicrous complaint discredits any constructive or accurate or insightful criticism you, and others, might make in the eyes of community members and perhaps even developers.
—————————————————————-

Kudos to ANet. Lets see if the next nine months can include fixes to make the game more interesting for everyone.

Didn’t you read a sign “DO NOT FEED THE TROLL”?

That guy is trashtalking for almost a year now, and he’s still around…that speaks volumes more about him than all his words could ever.

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

Interesting but won’t stop the QQers as they will just say the game sold 3 million then promptly fell over and died.

What we could REALLY use when arguing with negative Nancys discussing this is the total number of sales and also some hard numbers on concurrency.

Unfortunately, the QQers are right on this game. It did fall over and die and then an Anet employ came, hit it with a sledge-hammer and then kicked it off the empire state building.

Sure, if Anet gave us accurate numbers on the exact amount of people playing at the moment, the number of people per server, and the people quitting daily, then I’d be happy. But Anet refuses to give us the numbers repeatedly. Why is that? Think hard. Why would they refuse to give us the number of players playing atm? Are they embarrassed? That’s what my theory is. The number of people on my server took a fall off a cliff a few weeks ago and the only people I see play on patch days for 5 minutes and then the log off.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Jrunyon.3012

But Anet refuses to give us the numbers repeatedly. Why is that? Think hard. Why would they refuse to give us the number of players playing atm? Are they embarrassed? That’s what my theory is. The number of people on my server took a fall off a cliff a few weeks ago and the only people I see play on patch days for 5 minutes and then the log off.

You are absolutely ridiculous Galtrix. Seriously, why are you here? Just tell me, are you like 10 years old or something? Why do you come here and kitten and moan that you don’t like this game all the time. Just stop.

You are so blinded by negativity that you come up with these false statements to try and make yourself believe that this game is dying when in truth it really isn’t. It simply isn’t. I see more people on now than I did months ago.

Stop coming here and surrounding yourself with negativity. It’s really not healthy. And that goes for Nuka Cola as well.

Nesmee – Thief

lordkrall.7241

But Anet refuses to give us the numbers repeatedly. Why is that? Think hard. Why would they refuse to give us the number of players playing atm? Are they embarrassed? That’s what my theory is. The number of people on my server took a fall off a cliff a few weeks ago and the only people I see play on patch days for 5 minutes and then the log off.

Actually I don’t think ANY MMO gives actual numbers of players. So I suppose every single MMO every released is embarrassed then?

And funnily enough they HAVE given numbers. Just a few weeks back they stated a number of 2,5 million active accounts each week.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: nethykins.7986

nethykins.7986

You are absolutely ridiculous Galtrix. Seriously, why are you here? Just tell me, are you like 10 years old or something? Why do you come here and kitten and moan that you don’t like this game all the time. Just stop.

You are so blinded by negativity that you come up with these false statements to try and make yourself believe that this game is dying when in truth it really isn’t. It simply isn’t. I see more people on now than I did months ago.

Stop coming here and surrounding yourself with negativity. It’s really not healthy. And that goes for Nuka Cola as well.

Technically, his point is correct. In PR terms anyway.

You don’t disclose anything that will make your product seem inferior or not a big hit (considering there was a ton of hype for GW2…and there still kinda is). Often, when you hear of great successes, you get an elaborate number, often those numbers are backed up over a period of time, through earnings calls, through analytical data-gathering and collection companies.

Before you begin to lose your temper on someone in a forum, check if you can find official numbers besides Collin’s 3m statement. Check if you can find any data that shows sales of GW2 outside of microtransactions. Check if you can even access the data from the source and you’ll find it’s hidden behind a ~$3.5k paywall

Actually I don’t think ANY MMO gives actual numbers of players. So I suppose every single MMO every released is embarrassed then?

And funnily enough they HAVE given numbers. Just a few weeks back they stated a number of 2,5 million active accounts each week.

While I agree that sometimes you don’t get numbers from all MMO’s. But hey, if you flaunt it, you better be able to prove it…right?

And again, a member of ANet coming out and saying x numbers are active could be a number pulled from the air of PR. I could say my youtube account has x number of hits per day…but if my stats are hidden/private on my youtube page, you’d be a little skeptical, wouldn’t you?

(edited by nethykins.7986)

Astral Projections.7320

Unfortunately, the QQers are right on this game. It did fall over and die and then an Anet employ came, hit it with a sledge-hammer and then kicked it off the empire state building.

Sure, if Anet gave us accurate numbers on the exact amount of people playing at the moment, the number of people per server, and the people quitting daily, then I’d be happy. But Anet refuses to give us the numbers repeatedly. Why is that? Think hard. Why would they refuse to give us the number of players playing atm? Are they embarrassed? That’s what my theory is. The number of people on my server took a fall off a cliff a few weeks ago and the only people I see play on patch days for 5 minutes and then the log off.

I haven’t seen this fall off in numbers of people playing. The people in my guild that I see playing are on for a long time each day that they log on and I’m seeing players in maps while leveling my new necro.

As to why they haven’t released new figures, it’s undoubtably because they are waiting for a sales milestone to be reached. That’s marketing. No conspiracy thinking is necessary.

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

I tried really hard not to be negative, but when people take the time to give heartfelt and meaningful suggestions to Anet, and Anet just deletes the threads without a second thought, it’s difficult not to be negative. Personally, I’ve given many suggestions that I thought would help the game a ton, and they deleted it. The thread contained nothing but positive suggestions, and that says Anet is not willing to change the direction they’re currently taking with the game, which is a repetitive endless amount of content. Again, I really like this game, and there are many great things about it, but a lot of it is just complete garbage. It’s difficult to be positive to a company that does what it does to some of its players. Ignores their suggestions, infracts posts asking for player numbers, and infracts positive posts that had no criticism in them whatsoever.

And yeah, Blizzard gave numbers. So did Frogster, and they had a very small amount of numbers, yet they gave the numbers nonetheless. 2.5 million? Hahaha! Right. When I walk around an entire server and don’t see a single person, there’s probably 5 people per server. And yeah, those “2.5 million active accounts” are probably just doing the dailies and then going back to WoW.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Jrunyon.3012

Before you begin to lose your temper on someone in a forum, check if you can find official numbers besides Collin’s 3m statement. Check if you can find any data that shows sales of GW2 outside of microtransactions. Check if you can even access the data from the source and you’ll find it’s hidden behind a ~$3.5k paywall

I’m not losing my temper, I’m just worried about his health.

Meh, I have no use for that data. As long as I can log in and play with my friends/random people then I am happy. What do I care if it’s making more money from microtransactions then box sales or that 3m people play the game. I don’t, I’ll leave that to the shareholders.

The fact is, whether you believe it or not, data has been released to us. We are not entitled to that kind of data as normal players but they have saw fit to give it to us.

Nesmee – Thief

lordkrall.7241

And yeah, Blizzard gave numbers. So did Frogster, and they had a very small amount of numbers, yet they gave the numbers nonetheless. 2.5 million? Hahaha! Right. When I walk around an entire server and don’t see a single person, there’s probably 5 people per server. And yeah, those “2.5 million active accounts” are probably just doing the dailies and then going back to WoW.

Actually no.
The only thing Blizzard have ever released is: “We have so and so many subscribers”. And that doesn’t really say anything at all. Especially not with promotions such as “Buy 1 year sub of WoW and get Diablo 3 for free” since it is quite possible to several of the people buying that sub didn’t actually play the whole year.

Sub numbers != active users.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Astral Projections.7320

The Time magazine article speculated they might release some new numbers on their 1st year anniversary. Now that would be worthwhile. Good or bad, some new numbers would be useful.

Posted by: Insignya.8625

Insignya.8625

@Galtrix you can’t expect much from these kitten forums.

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

Excuse me, but how is 3 million copies sold good?
I mean, COD sells what, 12 million copies or something? (No I don’t play that game),
And didn’t WoW sell like 6 million copies in first year?

lordkrall.7241

I mean, COD sells what, 12 million copies or something? (No I don’t play that game),

Is COD an MMO?

Doubtful since they didn’t have more than 5 million subs until after BC was released and that was several years after WoW. Besides 9 months != year.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Nick.6972

And, if the growth is so big (and the money income) – why haven’t wee seen a single good real WvW update? I mean, come on, passive effects, culling fix, that’s it. Oh and they’re unable to fix unbalanced and boring match ups for months, not to mention balance skills.
I mean, come on, if this is true, than Arena Net surely must be the most lazy mmo company out there.

Nick.6972

GW2 is watered down facebook like game, no wonder it sells well.
In what other MMO can you beat the whole game just by auto attacking.

No, this is not whining, I’m simply extremely astonished.

Posted by: Antara.3189

Antara.3189

Congratulations to all at ArenaNet and everyone that took part in making this possible. Been a rocky relationship to say the least, but a passionate one if none other.

Thanks and cheers to more years of success.

Astral Projections.7320

It was reported as over 3 million on Jan 15th, so that was 5 months, not a year. We don’t know how many sold since then

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/colin-johanson-on-guild-wars-2-in-the-months-ahead/

lordkrall.7241

And, if the growth is so big (and the money income) – why haven’t wee seen a single good real WvW update? I mean, come on, passive effects, culling fix, that’s it. Oh and they’re unable to fix unbalanced and boring match ups for months, not to mention balance skills.
I mean, come on, if this is true, than Arena Net surely must be the most lazy mmo company out there.

So putting more money into something = removing the time it takes to do?
If that was the case I am sure we would have cured cancer, aids and built colonies on Mars a long time ago.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Nick.6972

If you have the money, you can hire more people, and if you have more people, you can produce content faster, not to mention less buggy and full of glitches.

Best selling MMO in history can’t make LFG system for more than 11 months, I call that a BS.

Posted by: nethykins.7986

nethykins.7986

I’m not losing my temper, I’m just worried about his health.

Meh, I have no use for that data. As long as I can log in and play with my friends/random people then I am happy. What do I care if it’s making more money from microtransactions then box sales or that 3m people play the game. I don’t, I’ll leave that to the shareholders.

The fact is, whether you believe it or not, data has been released to us. We are not entitled to that kind of data as normal players but they have saw fit to give it to us.

Of course, by all means, have fun. No-ones stopping you. (I do mean that sincerely) Just, people like myself would like to know the facts that lie behind all these figures that are repeatedly announced by ANet, but never shown. I can’t help it. I’m curious.

Not too sure much data relevant to sales numbers has been released. If i say x and y happened, does that mean it’s data? It’s just making a comment with no real fact to back that up. I welcome all data, and I’d be happy to be shut up if some comes through proving me wrong. We may not be entitled to it, but then why even bother giving us a number at all?

lordkrall.7241

If you have the money, you can hire more people, and if you have more people, you can produce content faster, not to mention less buggy and full of glitches.

And yet for every new person you hire you will have to spend weeks if not months to actually getting them into the code and the work practices used. It is not like a new dev can start working on new stuff the moment he logs into his computer.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Nick.6972

The team of the best selling MMO in the history can’t produce a single permanent zone in 11 months. (100% sure Southsun was already done when GW2 released in August).
And with that, I leave this thread.

lordkrall.7241

The team of the best selling MMO in the history can’t produce a single permanent zone in 11 months.
And with that, I leave this thread.

First of all, they have never claimed best selling. They have said fastest selling.

How convenient that you choose to ignore certain stuff actually added.
EDIT: And apparently you edited your post.

No matter if it were done before release, even if a zone is not permanent it requires work. Or do you think that a temporary zone simply builds itself?

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

(edited by lordkrall.7241)