Consider bringing the old trait system back

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: TheGuy.3568

TheGuy.3568

Look I can’t do one of these 3 page post with lots of graphs, numbers, and charts. But I think I can keep it short and get he point across.

We liked it more, it had more diversity, and this one just isn’t really that much fun to explore.

That’s all I got. I know it likely won’t happen but……..

Kor The Cold Heart War
Wrekkes-Engineer Kore Rok Thief-Asraithe-Ele

Posted by: coso.9173

coso.9173

I like this new version better, I’m still kinda new to the game and this is much more easy to understand for me than the other one.

Posted by: moiraine.2753

moiraine.2753

Nononono and NO.You are not talking for everyone so stop with this bs we.I like the new changes.I Don’t want the old trait system back.The new one is easier to change and combining the talents is great.

TxS – Tequatl Slayer Alliance (EU)

Posted by: Nate.3927

Nate.3927

I actually like the new one so far. Some of my builds are completely broken and will have to be scrapped, but I’ve already found other builds that are fun to play that I also feel is viable.

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

We liked it more, it had more diversity, and this one just isn’t really that much fun to explore.

You liked it more. Difference there.

But you are right, it won’t happen.

Posted by: Aerlen.5326

Aerlen.5326

No, no, once you dive in – it’s not so bad. It’s visually overwhelming though, maybe a scale back on that, but the system is good!

~Tarnished Coast Pride~

Forever known as “that slow guardian who can’t jump worth crap”.

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

The new one allows for greater build diversity as you can take what effects you want without sacrificing the stats you need.

I also personally find it easier to understand. I am actually paying more attention to traits now as I was not really before.

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

They are terrible at balance (look at their admission that condis are OP, just one day after the update — funny that everyone but Anet knew this would be the case).

The lack of choice helps them balance. This has been their trend since the beginning. Remember when people used to mix and match runes?

The new UI is just awful though.

Posted by: briggah.7910

briggah.7910

I prefer this new version as well. I’m actually having more fun trying different builds.. Also almost every guildie in my guild said same thing at first.. This isn’t cool, this sucks but after actually playing and trying out builds they changed their minds and also agree that this is a lot better. Some are actually crafting/trying new gear to try out with their new builds as well so I say give it time but mess around with it.

Player Vs Everyone
youtube channel - twitch channel

Posted by: Gotejjeken.1267

Gotejjeken.1267

New trait system promotes power creep and is terrible.

he only people who like this are those running OP meta builds. Or PvE players who want to melt world bosses even faster so they can have more time to Silverwaste train.

Anet had no hope of balancing with just two GM’s…now we have three? Yeah, NO ONE saw problems a mile away from that!

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

I know it likely definitely won’t happen but……..

Fixed.

I’m still working through the new trait regime myself and agree that in some cases it seems to discourage build diversity — contrary to stated goals — but it’s still very early and the new scheme makes it much easier for the designers to adjust, tweak and reshuffle the traits and specializations as needed to make different builds more attractive.

It is a step forward, though it may not always feel like it, so I counsel patience.

Patience.

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

he only people who like this are those running OP meta builds. Or PvE players who want to melt world bosses even faster so they can have more time to Silverwaste train.

Anet had no hope of balancing with just two GM’s…now we have three? Yeah, NO ONE saw problems a mile away from that!

You have no idea what power creep means, do you? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_creep

And no, this system does not promote power creep, at least not by this definition.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

I like the change. While my level 80 warrior may be decked out in beserker gear and had traits lined up with one of the various meta builds, I do not have Ascended gear or weapons, just a few trinkets. And I can’t do a rotation to save my life.

My level 80 elementalist is hybrid between zerker gear and related stats and clerics gear and related stats. And let me tell you, there’s nothing OP about clerics gear in PvE. I don’t WvW.

I also don’t do the Silverwastes train. I’ve never even seen Vinewrath, let alone defeated it. I’ve never even had a shovel enter my inventory. The only reason I’ve been in Dry Top and Silverwastes is for the Living Story.

So please, stop talking for everyone and stop assuming who likes what and who does not like what.

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

I’m enjoying the new system so far. I’ve played enough that things were getting stale and having things changed up like this is really nice.

Posted by: serow.6524

serow.6524

I like this current system a lot better. The April 2014 revamp made leveling un-fun, because I can’t even start experimenting with traits until 80. That’s how troublesome the trait acquisition was for me.

Now that traits can be unlocked purely by leveling, I no longer have to rely purely on login Tomes. The fun of leveling is back!

Current 80s: Ranger, Mesmer, Guardian, Elementalist, Revenant, Necromancer.
Working on: Engineer

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I like the current system much better, as well. I didn’t think I would, but I do.

Posted by: serenke.4806

serenke.4806

Apart from some UI issues, it’s better.
Picking the 3 trait lines you want to use is just terribly designed. Not even designed, just slapped on.

Posted by: ASP.8093

ASP.8093

Here’s the thing with the old system: a lot of the individual traits were pretty rubbish.

I think part of the insight of the new one is recognizing that this game can’t really pull off 6 adept-tier traits in five trait lines per class without the majority of the adept traits being little more than newbie traps. There’s just not enough stuff to customize in every class.

Nemain The Eyeless · [JOY] · Tarnished Coast · http://tcwvw.com

Posted by: Haleydawn.3764

Haleydawn.3764

The new system is great.
It was a pain in the bum either paying to unlock traits or do weird tasks just to get a trait you should have access to.
Stats no longer tied to trait selection is even better.

I’d love to know this ‘we’ you are talking about, because every post in this thread disagrees with you!

Kitten.

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

I’m surprised I like the new system better . . . but I do.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: briggah.7910

briggah.7910

he only people who like this are those running OP meta builds.

OP meta builds? LOL meta totally changed a few days ago. Now people are coming up with new builds. I created my own builds so not sure if they are meta or not..

Player Vs Everyone
youtube channel - twitch channel

Posted by: Kross.6428

Kross.6428

I prefer the newer system. It isn’t perfect for everybody, but I think that it is waaay better than what we had before. I absolutely hated, loathed, and despised the previous trait system. I always thought of it as a massive downgrade ever since the AFP update.

I have been waiting for this change since last year! I can finally play my alts again!

Stormbluff Isle – Baka Royale [Baka]

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

For me, I much prefer the unlocks in the new system. What I don’t like is having to commit to an entire line to get the only desirable trait for my play-style. It’s not that different from an older 662 build with an extra four points you don’t want into the 2’s line. What I do think is off, though, is the opportunity cost for a build that needs an adept trait, but nothing else from that line, and a build which can make use of all three choices in all chosen lines.

(edited by IndigoSundown.5419)

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

New system is good. There are weak traits spead across the board but pushing them a bit for build diversity and its good.

Posted by: Telemin.7380

Telemin.7380

The only thing I dont like about it all the pulsing lights when you are picking traits. It makes my head hurt. Its almost like a flashback…

Teh Ouchies

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

I like the change. And no I’m not running Meta builds, I wouldn’t even know what they are. I play with the builds I like, and the way I like.

I could.make a sweeping statement like, the people who don’t like the changes are the ones who have had there meta builds broken and are no longer part of the meta. Saying this will not make it true. When ever a game changes something this big and central to a game. Something’s will brake. Will I care once they “fix” things that my builds will probably need changing? Nope I will have zero f’s to give. As you said, many saw the.game being broken by the change.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: SirDrygan.1823

SirDrygan.1823

Look I can’t do one of these 3 page post with lots of graphs, numbers, and charts. But I think I can keep it short and get he point across.

Tell me where WAS the diversity in the old system? Everywhere you see, people using the same build for many players. They don’t even read the traits at all. Only people telling them 6/6/0/0/6 or 0/0/6/6/6…etc and they just follow it blindly.

I find that the new system is much more better. At least you can tailor your traits to your liking. And if you have the knowledge about the traits, you can switch it when OOC during a battle without removing points here just to fill in points there just like the previous system.

my .1 cent.

Posted by: yakuza snowdragon.4639

yakuza snowdragon.4639

Theres no we here bud, The new ones 10x better. stats on armor 10x better, potential for growth of paths and build options 10x better. WE don’t prefer the old system YOU do.

Posted by: binidj.5734

binidj.5734

I find the new system utterly horrible, it’s broken at least one of my characters (because “play your way” only holds true as long as your way is the way ANet think it should be*) and a few of the others don’t really feel “right” at the moment. Being forced to go fully into a track is a nightmare, only seeing three tracks on the screen at one time is clumsy (yes, I know there are ways you can look at the traits in other lines without having the thing up on the screen but it’s not the best) and I loathe not being able to put lower tier traits in higher tier slots.

Frankly I’m feeling pretty demoralised at the moment.

Interestingly a few of my guild love the changes but I have to assume this is because their builds are more in line with the way that ANet thinks their profession should be played.

• eg. ANet thinks that Mesmers shouldn’t be using retributive effects as part of their builds and that Shatter should be at the heart of everything. Regardless of how I want to play the profession.
Glad to be [Grey] – http://thegrey.enjin.com/home
Piken Square

Posted by: LadyGiselda.7956

LadyGiselda.7956

i love the new trait system. Finally i can try builds without losing stats. And the new traits open the door to many interesting combinations .

Posted by: Crise.9401

Crise.9401

I dislike that the Mesmer is so heavily incentivized to shatter illusions under this new system. At least that is how it really feels like right now. However, I wouldn’t be going as far as to say bring the old traits back. Even though I think lot of “bad” builds have disappeared, which is entirely subjective assessment, under this new system, I can see a bunch of limitations with it as well.

Only three specialization slots with three trait tiers with three traits each (see the trend here) means a few things. One it is difficult to add new traits to the game, right now it seems the system is designed so that the only new traits added will be through elite specializations or if they decide they need additional traits galore what they could do is add an extra tier of minor and major traits but this is a path that I don’t think would be very practical either. Increasing number of possible specializations one can equip is probably the most pain free way to extend this system if there is need to do so without excluding another option, however, with these new more potent traits (as in they do more stuff) the chance of unexpected power creep is real if this path is taken.

What is more, the current trait UI, although a huge improvement over the old one in my opinion (and really pretty to boot), it basically screams inflexible much like the old wallet UI and we see what happened with that in the end.

Posted by: moiraine.2753

moiraine.2753

Meta builds are the core of the MMOs 85% of the playerbase uses them.Everything else is a niche.

TxS – Tequatl Slayer Alliance (EU)

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

Even though I have lost a couple of my characters’ builds, I do like this new system a lot more.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

+1 for against new traits system.

Apparently Anet thinks less choice is more exciting.

Posted by: Gray.9041

Gray.9041

I prefer the new trait system. I can build what I want without running for three days to reach the lost temple of somewhere, killing the giant evil worldboss of evil, and then capping specific WvW castles.

the new system is more fun, the traits are better, and I have access to all traits without complicated treasure hunts.

Posted by: Miss Lana.5276

Miss Lana.5276

Even though I hate having Anet spend hero points for me on lower level characters when we should be able to choose for ourselves instead of being hand held all the time like some kittening infant

deep breaths

No, I like this new system much more.

48 Characters|Necro|Raider|Fractaller|PvPer|Singer
So long Treeface.
“…Kormir? I know not of whom you speak.”

Posted by: Soja.5918

Soja.5918

Hell no. Specializations blow the old Trait system out of the water. There are actual tough choices to make between lots of great traits and it really makes you think about the type of role you want to play in a group. I was apprehensive at first about it, but divorcing stats from Traits was probably the best move; I no longer fret about dumping important stats to get at a Trait I consider critical for my build as I would in the old system.

The Crystal Desert beckons us. Ascension awaits us.

Keirlann Aurion – Ranger – Chieftain of the Ace Guard [AceG]

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

I need to adjust but it’s better then the previous system. I love he freedom from the attributes and the therefor mandatory lines. No more I need this cause it will give me this attribute/trait even though I cannot use the stats/traits

I will see where it goes… 3 years in and the journey is just starting.

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

Posted by: MLinni.6109

MLinni.6109

I also prefer the new specializations system over the old trait system.
You aren’t forced to unlock each trait for each character now by hunting down the end of event chains which rare ever happen. You actually get GM traits before level 80 now!

A couple of guildies and I are leveling a group of characters, and it was SUCH a change suddenly having traits. Before I could not even get any traits short of buying them because noone wanted to go out of their ways to unlock one certain trait.
IMO it was a vital change to reinvigorate the game as a whole. I cannot stress this enough.

Kudos to the devs here, this will bring me back to leveling a ton of alts!

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

I looked forward to the change and I am impressed over how good it really is!

I get a little sad when I read statements like ‘those who think the new system is good are only PvE’ers who like to melt down bosses’ and other untrue statements.

I love the new specializations, that is what we are talking about right!? I hate that damage output (Not from conditions) in PvP is so high that even stomping is useless, I hate that I can burn down enemies like butter in PvE now but the new Specialization system is wonderfull. There are balance patches happening all the time, we have to let it sit in for awhile to even out.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Posted by: hennrick.4623

hennrick.4623

Before the update i had to look mostly at trait lines that gave me the right stat benefits. Now i am far more free on ym choice.
Sure, maybe a tad more choice would have been good, but I like the system.

Posted by: Cambeleg.7632

Cambeleg.7632

C’mon, really? Just two days with a new system, and you’re asking for going back to the old one?

Its really just that simple.

Posted by: TheGuy.3568

TheGuy.3568

With the exception of stats the old system did factually allow for more diversity. That’s not even up for debate. In this system you are forced to pick from just 3 traits at every tier. It may seem better for diversity because you wont pick the pest traits in each line but its ruins creativity. For classes that can go against purely cookie cutter builds and players who enjoy the untraveled path this is actually a very bad development.

For example many traits that made builds that most people didn’t use work are gone. Like deployable turrets. thief is is a precarious situation because in many cases 4 lines and the minimal invest in SA was necessary to keep some sort of condition clearing while still running builds that weren’t the norm. As it is now some builds that don’t use stealth (like SP and PP) were basically gutted with this patch.

While you may disagree if you take a hard look at work could work before and what can now you’ll see many builds of certain paths were actually nerfed into uselessness for no other reason than they saw most of what made them work disappear for simplicity sake.

Don’t believe me do you?

Try theory crafting some off the beaten path builds and see how much synergy you can produce.

Kor The Cold Heart War
Wrekkes-Engineer Kore Rok Thief-Asraithe-Ele

Posted by: Chessrook.8643

Chessrook.8643

I prefer the old trait system if only because with the new one I can’t have the “piercing bullets/harpoons” trait AND the “run faster with melee weapons” trait.

Yes I know it sounds like I’m mocking or that it’s a minor thing but… I’m not a builder. I don’t focus on ideal builds or getting the most bang for my buck. I found those traits good and liked having them. The fact I can’t have them both really kinda kittenes me off.

Posted by: Tere.4759

Tere.4759

NO….just NO. I really like the new system.

Guild Leader of The Black Court, we’re small, friendly and active.

Posted by: Shadow.1345

Shadow.1345

The old system appeared to allow for more diversity by giving you more to choose from and being able to put adept traits in a master slot and master and adept traits in a grandmaster slot but that is really about it but the stats being tied to trees kinda forced some classes into taking certain trees. And where that wasn’t happening the traits themselves were forcing you to take trees just to get those traits that have now been consolidated.

Take for example the necromancer. If you wanted to run a “well-o-mancer” and focus primarily on having buffed wells you needed 3 different traits over 3 different lines just to get what you can get with one trait now. Minions also were similar in needing more traits to synergize.

Then where things like that weren’t happening a lot of the traits were useless and only good for “scrub” builds. The gutting and consolidating in most parts is something MMOs do because at first they make all these traits and then realize 99% of the players are just taking the same traits because they are the good ones. SWTOR did the same thing just earlier this year. Sure some people lost a few things. I lost Ricochet for pistols but that’s the way the cookie crumbles and I don’t care because overall the new system gives me better choices and +2 slots to choose traits and +2 minor traits.

Posted by: NoxInfernus.2361

NoxInfernus.2361

I like the changes.
Sorry OP, you do not speak for me.

Posted by: VolOpt.4963

VolOpt.4963

I really prefer the flexibility of the old system over the new system. All the new system really seems to get us are four extra trait points and fewer options.

So why not just go the best of both worlds, go with the old system that has significantly more flexibility and toss in 4 extra trait points.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I can’t disagree more. The old system had the appearance of diversity and stopped being fun to explore. This one is new and I can’t imagine any of us have fully explored it so soon after the change.

I recommend that you give it a month and see how you feel then.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

OP does not speak for me. I like the new system

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!