Considering coming back.

Considering coming back.

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: wbfytw.4265

wbfytw.4265

Hello !

Am a veteran gw2 player I started playing after the beta and quit when f2p was introduced (I simply want a Pay to Play game) but Ive got some free time on my hands and I wanna give GW2 a chance to win my heart again.

So… I have a few questions:
1 How is the continuity ? Is it still mature or not?
2 The economy ? The inflation ? Gold sellers?
3 Content? Is it challenging ? Is there enough ?
4 Guild Halls?
5 Performance? Last I remember it was rolling down a hill with a few improvements form time to time.
6 Is it grindy ?
7 The most important one.. IS IT FUN ?!
I remember 500 people + doing 3head worm hundreds of people in guild wars 2 community TS severs Commanders. Rewarding exploration Brain jamming Puzzles.
Difficult World bosses were failure was a thing. When communication matters. Etc

Thanks in advance for any replies

Considering coming back.

Posted by: Silberfederling.9302

Silberfederling.9302

Free time you say? Test it out your self, otherwise spend the free time reading the salty BS responses, don’t forget popcorn!

Considering coming back.

wbfytw.4265

ill keep the popcorn thing in mind

Considering coming back.

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

First, let me ask you a couple questions:

What are you in to? Like, what game-mode is your most prevalent? Also, what profession do you tend to play? Do you prefer challenging content, or “casual” experiences?

NSPride <3

Considering coming back.

Posted by: Imbune.5497

Imbune.5497

Similar boat-decided to come back to pass the time till Revelation is in beta.
1-Community was never mature-it’s pretty much the same how I left it; pretentious virtue signalling, petty squabbles over which group ‘owns’ a map, white knights, absolutely juvenile conversations (homosexual remarks to show how hip and progressive they are, asinine one liners about the political situation in America, infantile discussions about how various players want to have sex with other players to show they know what sex is)…I turn map chat off. Idk how anyone over the age of 13 could find it an enjoyable experience.
2-This was the biggest shock….MASSIVE inflation from when I left it about a year or so ago; been stable this past week at least….I guess. Had gold sellers spam me three times in the past week so it’s not bad at all.
3-I don’t remember what happened around the time it invalidated my purchase, went f2p and gave an ugly suit to say ‘thanks sucker’, but Triple trouble, Teq and Shatterer are fun. The challenge is less individual and more about having a large group of people doing what needs to be done. As you can imagine I didn’t re-buy the base game + 4 maps so I didn’t buy HoT…..maybe if another mmorpg doesn’t come along when it’s priced what it’s worth from all accounts (maybe $20), but I haven’t seen any HoT specific content outside of raids being added. Given your point of concern is challenging content, the raids might be right up your alley at least.
4-Have zero interest; completely ignorant on this.
5-Game seems to run mostly fine with odd lag spike or something. It feels like lag but my ping is consistently below 80 so idk what’s up with that.
6-Yes-it always has been and always will be I’m afraid. I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s in the archaic design of mmorpgs rather than a fault of this game in particular-they are built with the expectation that players play for months on end…..that’s patently kittened and unrealistic. So rather than making the act of playing the game fun, like single player games, mmorpgs put you through a long kitten grind to get pretty items-that’s the formula and none have dared deviate from it.
7-For me, when I turn off map chat, am not exposed to the wretched story telling (finished the story and didn’t buy HoT), lower my expectations from doing things for have fun to doing things to buy other things to do the same things in order to buy other things and the subsequent observation of my gold increasing, picking up the last couple of AP needed to get the grand/massive chest or w/e and doing these revamped bosses….I can say that it’s fun enough. I’m 99% sure I’ll leave once I get that chest though, regardless of whether or not Revelation is in closed beta.

I know this last one sounds negative but it’s not really…it’s weird. It’s not really to say ‘the game is bad’ but more like ’there’s fun to be had if you’re like me and ignore these elements’. Or perhaps it’s more like, if you don’t go in expecting a fun time you’ll go ‘Hmm….well it’s better than I expected. It’s not all that bad’. Yes, it’s the latter.

Obviously the last one is a person by person basis and the typical responses you’ll get are ‘no it’s not fun’, ‘yes it’s fun-it’s the best thing since sliced bread’ and ’it’s ok but I’m waiting on update x to see where they go with it’.

Why even bother asking though? I for one just reinstalled the game and started playing. White knights will say the game is great, unhappy customers will state the issues they have with it…assuming they’re still even hanging around.

When free speech ends, tyranny begins.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their proper name.

Considering coming back.

Razor.9872

1-Community was never mature-it’s pretty much the same how I left it; pretentious virtue signalling, petty squabbles over which group ‘owns’ a map, white knights, absolutely juvenile conversations (homosexual remarks to show how hip and progressive they are, asinine one liners about the political situation in America, infantile discussions about how various players want to have sex with other players to show they know what sex is)…I turn map chat off. Idk how anyone over the age of 13 could find it an enjoyable experience.
2-This was the biggest shock….MASSIVE inflation from when I left it about a year or so ago; been stable this past week at least….I guess. Had gold sellers spam me three times in the past week so it’s not bad at all.
3-I don’t remember what happened around the time it invalidated my purchase, went f2p and gave an ugly suit to say ‘thanks sucker’, but Triple trouble, Teq and Shatterer are fun. The challenge is less individual and more about having a large group of people doing what needs to be done. As you can imagine I didn’t re-buy the base game + 4 maps so I didn’t buy HoT…..maybe if another mmorpg doesn’t come along when it’s priced what it’s worth from all accounts (maybe $20), but I haven’t seen any HoT specific content outside of raids being added. Given your point of concern is challenging content, the raids might be right up your alley at least.
5-Game seems to run mostly fine with odd lag spike or something. It feels like lag but my ping is consistently below 80 so idk what’s up with that.
6-Yes-it always has been and always will be I’m afraid. I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s in the archaic design of mmorpgs rather than a fault of this game in particular-they are built with the expectation that players play for months on end…..that’s patently kittened and unrealistic. So rather than making the act of playing the game fun, like single player games, mmorpgs put you through a long kitten grind to get pretty items-that’s the formula and none have dared deviate from it.
7-For me, when I turn off map chat, am not exposed to the wretched story telling (finished the story and didn’t buy HoT), lower my expectations from doing things for have fun to doing things to buy other things to do the same things in order to buy other things and the subsequent observation of my gold increasing, picking up the last couple of AP needed to get the grand/massive chest or w/e and doing these revamped bosses….I can say that it’s fun enough. I’m 99% sure I’ll leave once I get that chest though, regardless of whether or not Revelation is in closed beta.

I know this last one sounds negative but it’s not really…it’s weird. It’s not really to say ‘the game is bad’ but more like ’there’s fun to be had if you’re like me and ignore these elements’. Or perhaps it’s more like, if you don’t go in expecting a fun time you’ll go ‘Hmm….well it’s better than I expected. It’s not all that bad’. Yes, it’s the latter.

Obviously the last one is a person by person basis and the typical responses you’ll get are ‘no it’s not fun’, ‘yes it’s fun-it’s the best thing since sliced bread’ and ’it’s ok but I’m waiting on update x to see where they go with it’.

Why even bother asking though? I for one just reinstalled the game and started playing. White knights will say the game is great, unhappy customers will state the issues they have with it…assuming they’re still even hanging around.

Is everyone who likes the game a “white knight”?

NSPride <3

Considering coming back.

wbfytw.4265

well this is… off-turning to say the least… Ive done all in the vanilla game.. I am not keen on paying 60$ on 4 maps

Considering coming back.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

It’s usually cheaper at dlgamer.com, which is an authorized retailer.

Considering coming back.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Yes, but it means we will get early access to mounts

To the OP, yes it it is still fun. There are fresh new challenges and difficulties in open world and now with raids too. HoT raised the bar for open world difficulty, which has had a mixed reaction.

The community is still very good and collaborative, but mindful with raids. You can hit a brick wall there with teams want pinging of specific items/gear/title. It’s sadly gone against what Anet built their game round, but that’s just how it is. On the flipside, generally everyone says the raids are really good.

SHatterer has been reworked. He’s not quite Tequatl/Wurm, but he’s a vast improvement and does fail from time to time.

Many HoT meta bosses require coordination as well and can fail without numbers and organisation.

A lot of mistakes have been made (largely around the story), but generally apart from a large content drought, things are pretty good. I still find things to do everyday so it can’t be too bad.

(edited by Randulf.7614)

Considering coming back.

Razor.9872

Seems like the label carries negative connotations and possibly untrue label-attached stereotypes. though. :\

NSPride <3

Considering coming back.

Posted by: Rashagar.8349

Rashagar.8349

Was there anything in particular that caused you to leave the game outside of the change to a semi ftp payment model? Cos it’s probably safe to say that what you found fun before you left is probably still going to be fun when you return.

I mean, I don’t think you’re going to lose anything by just reinstalling the game and finding out if you still enjoy running around in wvw or pve or whatever.

1. The community is no worse than it was, really, and still better than most I’d say (entirely unbiased of me I know). I consider it a great community because I’ve gradually weeded out the elements I didn’t like, and have a couple of great guilds that I really enjoy my time in.
2. Yes to inflation, but it’s now easier for people who don’t play for 8 hours a day to have a steady amount of gold income thanks to the daily rewards. Haven’t seen gold sellers in ages!
3. Content-wise I feel like I have plenty to keep me occupied, depending what I’m in the mood for. Even leaving out the HoT stuff there’s still a bunch of achievements I haven’t gotten, daily fractals and world bosses to do, skins to unlock, wvw to have fun in, alts to gear up, maps to complete etc. But then I never do any of them to excess, and if I get tired of it I can switch to a different aspect of the game or to a different game for a while and know that everything will be here for me when I’m back in the mood again. They’ve started back with very small living story activities (now called current events or something) which is really nice. It’s nothing major like the silverwastes or the 3 headed wurm or anything but it’s nice to experience a bit of changing world without the time pressure of LS season 1.

(edited by Rashagar.8349)

Considering coming back.

Posted by: Hexinx.1872

Hexinx.1872

1 – How is the continuity ? Is it still mature or not?

Well, this is more a personal response but I feel the game is kinda in limbo atm. Feels like there is more on the horizon, but the faucet is no where close to being turned on. So it is likely that the game is almost exactly how you left it with the addition of a couple raid wings, depending on when you left.

2 – The economy ? The inflation ? Gold sellers?

This one is a bit of a kick in the pants. Things have gotten very expensive over the past few months, with little hope that they will return to a lower price. Everything has gotten very expensive. You can probably just look at gw2spidy to get an idea. You do have many avenues to make enough to supplement your gaming wants, but everything feels so expensive now.

3 – Content? Is it challenging ? Is there enough?

Depends on how much you have played. There are limited amount of maps, I’m assuming you have visited them all. The HoT maps all have meta events – they are basically meta event maps, with some nice rewards, but it’s one hell of a grindy feeling.

4 – Guild Halls?

Are expensive, and tough to build out for lower population guilds, best just to get into an already well established guild who have unlocked everything.

5 Performance? Last I remember it was rolling down a hill with a few improvements form time to time.

Has not really changed imho. The game is still the same, performance wise. No improvements that stand out in my mind.

6 – Is it grindy?

Some aspects are very grindy, in fact most things you actively do to occupy your time are based on a grind. It’s even moreso glaringly grindy in HoT. But, as with many mmo’s … you generally take on the grind as the reward you are seeking is worth it. Again, just be sure not to spread yourself too thin.

7 – The most important one.. IS IT FUN?!

I know my comments may not be shouting fun, but overall … the game is still fun. It has fun aspects to it. You chose to create or have your own fun, in whatever you do. How you look at something generally defines whether you will feel like you are having fun or not.

Nostalgia
I remember 500 people + doing 3head worm hundreds of people in guild wars 2 community TS severs Commanders. Rewarding exploration Brain jamming Puzzles.
Difficult World bosses were failure was a thing. When communication matters. Etc

World bosses and meta events still continue and many players enjoy doing them. They are always populated… getting into a good TTS triple trouble run (which sounds like what you described) is still occurring.

There is ALOT of things to do, but how you chose to spend your time, will dictate what you will be doing, and how you personally feel about whatever it is you do… is all on you.

I personally enjoy logging in, doing my daily, doing a HoT meta or two (for unlocking collections), maybe doing a Teq run (because I need some karma), spend a bit of time crafting ascended stuff, and relaxing doing a bit of WvW to close down the evening. To me it is enjoyable. Some days i can’t complete everything in time, so the list is shorter, other days i have more time … so maybe I’ll add in farming nodes for an hour or so.

Others enjoy doing say fractals, or raids, or spvp, or getting lost in the nooks and crannies of the world. There is a lot to do.

Considering coming back.

Posted by: Silberfederling.9302

Silberfederling.9302

Seems like the label carries negative connotations and possibly untrue label-attached stereotypes. though. :\

Wow, you seem new to the Internet. Here i thought this only applies to my countries gouvernement…. Seriously though, that part: “untrue label-attached stereotypes” should be your internet\forums guideline mate.

Considering coming back.

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

Played in beta and headstart over 3 years ago. Prepurchased HoT and have been playing that too.
Call me a “white knight” if it makes you feel better but there are actually quite a few people that are playing and having lots of fun doing so, I happen to be one of them. I still play pretty much every day, I have not run out of things to do yet. I still come across events and stuff that I had not seen before.

Best advice I can give you is to download and play again. It costs nothing to do that since the game is “pay to play”. The whole f2p thing is nothing more than a long trial thing. They have so many restrictions on their playing. Only you will know if you like the game or not. I don’t care how many people you ask, no one can tell you your preferences.

Considering coming back.

Razor.9872

Wow, you seem new to the Internet. Here i thought this only applies to my countries gouvernement…. Seriously though, that part: “untrue label-attached stereotypes” should be your internet\forums guideline mate.

How so? And why?

NSPride <3

Considering coming back.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

1. Very mild and overall a decent experience compared to other places. You have your bad eggs and impatient people but honestly a lot of people are quite helpful and often say hilarious things in chat. I think impatience is a thing that comes with the times, since instant gratification is just a thing now.

2. Pretty steady. We had a really bad bump recently due to Anet’s bizzare BL store schedule but honestly nothing you couldn’t keep up with with constant play.

3. Depends on how hardcore you were in the past. The new maps are a nice contrast to the really easy central Tyria maps so open world may be a thing again. Otherwise, only raids will interest you.

4. An utter disaster of which we are still recovering from. But at least the concept is cool.

5. Performance has been a bit wonky. Game runs smoothly most of the time but certain spots make it spazz out.

6. As always, there are some incredibly grindy things, but you don’t have to do most of them, and there are also some things you can pick up that aren’t grindy, like the specialization collections. Ascended armor in particular is something I would strongly suggest on holding back on though. That’s really painful if you want to gear multiple characters.

7. It’s pretty fun. I think the initial expansion release was really bad, but the game is settling near where I think it should be. If I were to grade the game right now, it’d be like a 78/100. Still needs work in a lot of areas, in particular World vs World, since I play that the most. So I can’t rate it that high, but at least they’re trying…. to varied results.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)