Constant Nagging About Changing Maps

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Triumpf.9075

Triumpf.9075

I love Guild Wars 2. I do have 1 request though. I find that The game clients’ constant nagging about the map that I’m on having very few population, and asking me if I would like to move to a less populated map very irritating. Even though they give you a buff for doing so, it will move you there in 59 minutes or so regardless. I don’t know about others, but for Me it ruins the immersion for the game. Other online games have more population than this game and they run seamlessly. It seems that just when you are in the middle of a fight for your life that stupid pop-up appears. I would like to see the Devs find another way around this (such as larger servers). Does anyone else feel this same way?

(edited by Triumpf.9075)

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Larger servers would mean more lag, and more importantly, even more trivialized events than currently exist.

I don’t think more people on a server is the answer.

Posted by: AnAspieKitten.5732

AnAspieKitten.5732

In other games, you’re usually pretty happy noone’s there to bother you whilst you farm or do your own things. GW2 pushes people together, and you actually actively benefit from being with others.

Dear Santa,
For christmas I’d like to get a crossbow for my characters.
With love, a cute kitty.

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

I have to admit I haven’t seen this message in a more than a month. Are you getting it on all maps or certain maps?

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

Triumpf.9075

I used to play Eve and they have everyone on one server – with NO lag. And their servers are in England so the large server-lag thing is a myth, unless the software is bloated and not efficient.

Triumpf.9075

I get it constantly on EVERY map.

Posted by: Furesy.6935

Furesy.6935

Do you happen to be without a guild?

I ask because, I joined a much more active guild recently and haven’t seen the message since… mainly because (I believe) the game puts me in active zones with a lot of my guildies.

Triumpf.9075

I’m in a guild, but venture with my friend. We’re in the same room and she’s not in a guild. She gets it at the exact same time that I do. Why would being with a larger group affect this?

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

I’m in a guild, but venture with my friend. We’re in the same room and she’s not in a guild. She gets it at the exact same time that I do. Why would being with a larger group affect this?

Because a map will not start to shut-down if there is a large amount of people on it?

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Triumpf.9075

Hmmm… that’s a thought. I’m not going to change My gameplay to do this though. Thanks for the replies everyone.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I used to play Eve and they have everyone on one server – with NO lag. And their servers are in England so the large server-lag thing is a myth, unless the software is bloated and not efficient.

Server lag isn’t a myth. It’s not even close to a myth.

Ships aren’t characters. All games have different servers setups, and space has a lot less detail and it a lot easier to render than a forest.

People do slow down, frame rate gets less, in crowds of people.

Triumpf.9075

Point taken. There has to be a better solution though.

Posted by: storiessave.3807

storiessave.3807

In some cases, this isn’t too bad, but I was mapping Bloodtide with a friend two days ago, and we literally got asked to change maps 4 times within ~15 minutes. The fourth time, we just said “kitten it” and didn’t move, because we were so sick of being moved around. It’s beyond ridiculous that it would load you into an empty map and ask you to move 2 minutes later.

It’s not the only time I’ve loaded into a map and been asked to move a few minutes later, either. It’s a pretty common occurrence, though I haven’t had it happen 4 times in a row other than that one day. It definitely needs to be tweaked.

Tarnished Coast

Catorii | Lustre Delacroix | Catorii Desmarais | Synalie

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

Why can’t they make it more like in gw1 where you had a dropdown menu in the right top corner with servers to choose from,no need to ask you all the time if you want to switch since you can switch maps/servers whenever you’d like.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Why can’t they make it more like in gw1 where you had a dropdown menu in the right top corner with servers to choose from,no need to ask you all the time if you want to switch since you can switch maps/servers whenever you’d like.

Because the server system is completely different?
You also left out the fact that it was only possible to do that in cities/outposts and the fact that you could only change district if there were enough people to fill one so another one was created.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Triumpf.9075

That would be one idea, but I would like to see a ‘server load’ feedback along with the ability to change maps at your leisure.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I have to admit I haven’t seen this message in a more than a month. Are you getting it on all maps or certain maps?

I see it frequently on the NA megas, usually when I happen to go to a map that has a world boss event. The message pops after the event ends and the hordes move on to the next event.

I agree that larger mega-servers are not the answer to the OP’s question. I’m not sure what the answer is, but I do agree that the question is worth asking, as I find the pop-up annoying, also.

Posted by: brittitude.1983

brittitude.1983

I like the additional 10 min buff. I do not have this happen frequently, but I do notice it usually happens right after a world boss dies.

Also, if you click “later” it turns into an icon over the minimap that can be ignored easier. You have 1 hr before it forcibly removes you from the map, so you don’t actually have to change over, especially if you just did it.

I had the message come up a few times in malchor after a temple event ended, but I just kept farming. It was nice not having people around; however, a few times the icon went away after about ten minutes. My guess is that because it was still an open map people entered and enough were there to no longer require it to close.

Posted by: Tyger.1637

Tyger.1637

For me; I find the question is more irritating. It’s “Would you like to move to a more populated map?” and the choice is ‘Yes’ or ‘Later’ but there’s no real choice to it. It should be ‘Now’ or ‘Later’ since you’ll either be pushed over when the hour is up or the instance you occupy will be refilled when more players enter that map.

Posted by: Leamas.5803

Leamas.5803

The biggest problem I have with the changing maps thing is not the nagging it’s that it doesn’t work and I’ve missed numerous world events because of it. More and more, it seems the only way to get a good map is to be taxied in to a good map and this seems counter to the intent of the application.

Why would it put me in an instance with 3 people when I can taxi in to another with 50? Would it not make more sense to place me in the most populous instance that has free space?

I’d have no problem with it, if it actually worked.

Posted by: Belenus.9132

Belenus.9132

Indeed, it would be nice if we could close the box on the side of the screen or minimalize it so that perhaps a clock remains, but the nag-box vanishes.

Posted by: Sleepwalker.1398

Sleepwalker.1398

I hate that message. It removes all my bloodlust that I have and have to start from zero again on the new map. Why can’t I simply keep that if you gonna shove me to a different map?

Posted by: Hamfast.8719

Hamfast.8719

It removes all my bloodlust that I have and have to start from zero again on the new map.

You lose the buffs you want, and gain buffs you don’t necessarily want. I personally NEVER want the speed buff, because it messes up my jumping.

Besides, the last thing I want is to leave my nice, lag-free map and go to zergville where everything dies within seconds of spawning and I risk disconnect if I dare join a World Boss fight. I always stay until it forces me out.

Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm all day.
Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm the rest of his life.
– Unknown Fire Elementalist