Constantly imply this game is free?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: CaptainVenus.5179

CaptainVenus.5179

Am I missing something here? I personally remember paying £60/$60/60 Euros.

That’s half a years EvE online or WoW subscription.
That’s two top titled pc/console games.
That for many people is a new graphics card / sound card.
That for some people, is more than they will earn in a year.

Yes, I hate the new patch, and won’t be ‘playing’ again. But that is besides the point.

This is not a free to play game unless you, aquired it for free. That just isn’t valid justification to shoot anyone down for having real concearns.

Is Skyrim a ftp game? I think not.

Just you think about that.

Posted by: SiNoS.2147

SiNoS.2147

Yes, I hate the new patch, and won’t be ‘playing’ again. But that is besides the point.

This is not a free to play game unless you, aquired it for free. That just isn’t valid justification to shoot anyone down for having real concearns.

Where are you getting top tier games for only $30? Also what graphics are you getting for only $60? Anyways for an MMO this game is in the FTP bracket. The real area though is BTP.

Posted by: Ishiga.6053

Ishiga.6053

Yes…. The game is not Free2Play, it’s Buy2Play. The sentiment behind the confusion there is that you do not need to KEEP paying for the game. Subscription fees are (hopefully) going the way of the dinosaur and that’s how it should be imo.

If it takes someone a year to make 60 anythings by way currency, I do believe they have bigger things to worry about than the condition of their MMO they burnt money on that they didn’t have to burn. But I digress.

I’m a PvE player. I could give two kitten about PvP and competitive gaming because I’m not here to show off to other people that I can punch their faces in for nothing more than bragging rights. I find that pointless. As such, the only people who are up in arms about this rollout of new gear are the people who min/max their kitten off for the sake of trouncing other characters. I understand that I don’t understand the competitive mindset at all, so I won’t weigh in on that with my personal opinion.

This issue is really only being blown out of proportion due to the way ANet implemented the Ascended gear out of the gate. The dungeons are simply the insertion method. They’d stated in several places that they intend to make ascended gear available to be obtained in several more manners aside from the Fractals. People just don’t want to wait for a less grindy method of getting them yet.

The point I DO agree on is that ANet needs to stop making these events last only a short time when they have yet to release any content patches that aren’t bugged to high hell. Heck, the main game itself isn’t even polished completely. The Straits of Devastation’s Temple of Balthazar event chain was broken for me my first time there. Why make events when you can’t hammer out the kinks in your baseline product?

CaptainVenus.5179

Where are you getting top tier games for only $30? Also what graphics are you getting for only $60? Anyways for an MMO this game is in the FTP bracket. The real area though is BTP.

Where are you getting top tier games for only $30?

In the UK

Also what graphics are you getting for only $60?

Last months (the smart way to buy). You gave the perfect answer for someone who also supports the GPU treadmill.

this game is in the FTP bracket

No.

(edited by CaptainVenus.5179)

SiNoS.2147

In the UK

Last months (the smart way to buy). You gave the perfect answer for someone who also supports the GPU treadmill.

No.

You seriously need to learn to read and properly quote. I said for an MMO this is in the FTP bracket. I never said this game is truly FTP.

Posted by: Vermillion Hawk.9037

Vermillion Hawk.9037

It’s buy to play. Guild Wars 1 was buy to play. People need to get their facts straight.

Grand Master of The Knights Hospitaller [STJ]
Isle of Janthir – Sylvari Mesmer – Alexandre Le Grande

CaptainVenus.5179

In the UK

No.

You seriously need to learn to read and properly quote. I said for an MMO this is in the FTP bracket. I never said this game is truly FTP.

I don’t get your point. Did you not say “this game is in the FTP bracket” or did you?

SiNoS.2147

In the UK

No.

I don’t get your point. Did you not say “this game is in the FTP bracket” or did you?

No i infact did not. The point is there are different bracket of games in the MMO world. The two major brackets are FTP and PTP. Of those two brackets GW would be the first. All that means is that there is no sub. In almost every FTP MMO there is a point where you HAVE to pay some cash. This ones upfront instead of later.

CaptainVenus.5179

In the UK

No.

No i infact did not. The point is there are different bracket of games in the MMO world. The two major brackets are FTP and PTP. Of those two brackets GW would be the first. All that means is that there is no sub. In almost every FTP MMO there is a point where you HAVE to pay some cash. This ones upfront instead of later.

I respect your ‘opinion’ but I think you have missed the point here slightly.

Let us take ncsoft’s most popular ftp games as an example.

Aion – Download and play for free, don’t like the game, nothing lost.
Lineage / 2 – Download and play for free, don’t like the game, nothing lost.

GW2 – Pay $60 / £ whatever, don’t like the game, lost £60.

That is not free, nor is that the ftp model.

Vermillion Hawk.9037

It’s not FTP. Also, in terms of buying it and notl iking it, there’s an antique Roman phrase which I feel will survive unto the end of a market society for how well it expresses the inherent centre of a consumer culture. Caveat emptor . Buyer beware.

SiNoS.2147

In the UK

No.

Lineage went FtP? Wow i missed that. Last i knew they were PTP. Anyways FTP tends to denote the difference between a sub and no sub in the MMO world. In general gaming then ya its not a FTP its a BTP which i already said in my first post but this is not a general game its a MMO. When referred to as FTP in that reguards its used in a proper way.

Vermillion Hawk.9037

Don’t make it more confusing for the sake of making it more confusing. It’s Buy to play. Le fin.

Posted by: xtorma.1283

xtorma.1283

you are from eu. get a refund…problem solved.

Baron Irongut – Warrior-

CaptainVenus.5179

In the UK

No.

Lineage went FtP? Wow i missed that. Last i knew they were PTP. Anyways FTP tends to denote the difference between a sub and no sub in the MMO world. In general gaming then ya its not a FTP its a BTP which i already said in my first post but this is not a general game its a MMO. When referred to as FTP in that reguards its used in a proper way.

Everyone disagrees with you, but like i said. I respect your ‘opinion’.

CaptainVenus.5179

you are from eu. get a refund…problem solved.

I don’t want a refund. I got my moneys worth. It’s like getting a substandard take away. You eat it because you are hungry, but you wouldn’t order from that place again.

I was merely highlighting the fact that ftp was being thrown around all over the forums when in actuality, that is not the case.

Posted by: Erinyes.3596

Erinyes.3596

How many hours did you play it – are you seriously saying you didn’t get 60 Euros full of enjoyment out of the game? I bet if you divide the time you played by the cost of the game you played many, many hours for pennies.

Maybe look at it from that point of view!

CaptainVenus.5179

How many hours did you play it – are you seriously saying you didn’t get 60 Euros full of enjoyment out of the game? I bet if you divide the time you played by the cost of the game you played many, many hours for pennies.

Please see my previous reply.

Posted by: Kimbald.2697

Kimbald.2697

he does, just above your post actually…

Wiggely, wobbely and other wombaty wabbity creatures…

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

As this topic illustrates part of the problem is that a lot of people aren’t familiar with the term ‘buy to play’ because it’s rarely used.

It’d be redundant to say it with regular games because they’re almost all B2P and the vast majority of MMOs are either P2P (aka subscription based) or F2P.

But importantly Anet never claimed GW2 was F2P and as far as I know most reputable sources didn’t either, it’s just people who don’t realise there are more than 2 catergories or don’t think it’s a distinction worth making.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: fatalis.9416

fatalis.9416

I would happily pay a subscription for this game if it meant improved support and communication. A end to the gem shop and updates like this last one…..Oh and a bit more respect for the WWW comunity, who are clearly the red headed step child of this game, as i’m guessing we’re the Gem shop’s most infrequent customers.

CaptainVenus.5179

I would happily pay a subscription for this game if it meant improved support and communication. A end to the gem shop and updates like this last one…..Oh and a bit more respect for the WWW comunity, who are clearly the red headed step child of this game, as i’m guessing we’re the Gem shop’s most infrequent customers.

So would I. But at the moment I feel my money would be better placed elsewhere.

Posted by: PearlGore.7419

PearlGore.7419

I Don’t even have a job and I make more then 60 dollars a year.

CaptainVenus.5179

I Don’t even have a job and I make more then 60 dollars a year.

#1. Congo, Democratic Republic of the

GDP Per Capita: $348 (Congolese Franc. 1 USD = 904.000) (As of 2011)

Not to be mixed with the neighboring Republic of Congo, the Democratic Republic of the Congo has become the poorest country in the world as of 2010. Democratic Republic of the Congo was known as Zaire until 1997. Congo is the largest country in the world that has French as an official language – the population of D.R Congo is about six million larger than the population of France (71 million people in D.R Congo vs 65 million in France). The Second Congo War beginning in 1998 has devastated the country. The war that involves at least 7 foreign armies is the deadliest conflict in the world since World War II – by 2008 the Second Congo War and its aftermath had killed 5.4 million people.

Posted by: Robbyx.1284

Robbyx.1284

Subscription fees are (hopefully) going the way of the dinosaur and that’s how it should be imo.

I sincerely hope not….EVE online is simply the best MMO out there…largely due to its subscription only format…it has constant maintenance, constant free expansions, constant customer care, its monitored 24 hours a day, it is free of hackers, its graphics are updated to keep up with modern standards….the threat of canceled subscriptions keep the game fresh and the developers ever vigilant for the needs of its player base.

BTP is a bane for online players…once you buy you have little say, they already have your money and can laugh at you as you threaten whatever you want, what do they care, they already have your money…..this is plainly evidenced by Anets horrendous communication “skills”, or lack there of.

FTP at least gives you the option of trying before you buy or subscribe…its a win/win for players.

I seriously doubt i will ever go BTP again….Anet has simply put me of that option…the customer has no recourse at all, that is never good.

Posted by: barti.7685

barti.7685

1. paid 50 euros for my copy dunno where you got ripped off.
2. nope 5 months
3. nope payed 50 euros for diablo 3 also most top titles vary between 40~60 euros
4. soundcard probably nothing very audiophile tho, graphic card no way.. 50 euros dont buy no graphic card not anything remotely usefull anyways

now lets take youre reasoning and add a lill to it..

60 euros for a game ok i give you that.

other popular mmorpg we will not mention 50 euro game when it was first released 50 euro every expension every 2 years and then 144 anual year fee lets say you played this game from the start so 10 years

game 50 euro
1st expansion 50 euro
2nd expension 50 euro
3rd expansion 50 euro
4th expansion 50 euro

anual year fee : 144 euro x10

= a total of 169 euros a year you paid on that particular game..just to log on in one of their servers.

i think we are pretty cheap off with 60 euros for this game. sure we might not have the support they have there.. or the millions of people.. but we got a dev team that does listen a lill bit.. to the comunity and have just as much heart for the game as those others have and the art department simply blows theirs away altho i have to give story and pure cinematics to the other people.

just my $0.02

CaptainVenus.5179

Would you mind repeating that in English?

1. paid 50 euros for my copy dunno where you got ripped off.
2. nope 5 months
3. nope payed 50 euros for diablo 3 also most top titles vary between 40~60 euros
4. soundcard probably nothing very audiophile tho, graphic card no way.. 50 euros dont buy no graphic card not anything remotely usefull anyways

now lets take youre reasoning and add a lill to it..

60 euros for a game ok i give you that.

other popular mmorpg we will not mention 50 euro game when it was first released 50 euro every expension every 2 years and then 144 anual year fee lets say you played this game from the start so 10 years

game 50 euro
1st expansion 50 euro
2nd expension 50 euro
3rd expansion 50 euro
4th expansion 50 euro

anual year fee : 144 euro x10

= a total of 169 euros a year you paid on that particular game..just to log on in one of their servers.

i think we are pretty cheap off with 60 euros for this game. sure we might not have the support they have there.. or the millions of people.. but we got a dev team that does listen a lill bit.. to the comunity and have just as much heart for the game as those others have and the art department simply blows theirs away altho i have to give story and pure cinematics to the other people.

just my $0.02

Would you mind repeating that in English?

Posted by: ChaosMinx.7548

ChaosMinx.7548

1) Free-to-Play just means no monthly subscription fee in this context.

2) You saw the price tag on it when you bought it, & therefor don’t have a right to complain about that imo. Where I’M from, ALL new games are $60-$65 or MORE. If you find a cheaper NEW game, it’s ‘cause it’s a completely nameless p.o.s.

3) Half a year’s WoW subscription? 1) WoW’s not ftp, either. 2) WoW is $20 to buy & each of the expansions is $35 or more, & its monthly subscription fee is $30~, which adds up to $450~ in the first year if you purchase 2 expansion packs, the game & pay the subscription fee to play each month…$450 is more expensive than $60-$65. The cost you spend on WoW may be less than the cost of GW2 at first, but within a few months, it adds up to more.

4) “The price of 2 top tier PC games”? How old are these “top tier” games? ANY new PC game I buy is always the same price range ($60-$65), & older games are $30-$40. If you’re talking about 2 OLD top tier games that are $30, then, yes, GW2 at $60 is the price of 2 of those games. This is simply because they are OLD. Prices go down as games age, just like everything else.

5) Yes, you CAN get a decent graphics card for $60. That is a valid point. No argument against that on my part.

6) People who make less than $60 a year are either children “making” allowance or homeless. If someone can’t afford to keep a roof over their head & electricity to run a computer, video game prices probably don’t bother them much.

7) “This is not a free to play game unless you, aquired it for free. That just isn’t valid justification to shoot anyone down for having real concearns.” First part of that, again, is true. The second part doesn’t connect properly to the first. The first part is speaking about correcting people who call it ftp. The second part is complaining that your concerns about the game are being “shot down” because it’s ftp. If your REAL issue is that your issues with the game haven’t been altered to your liking, would it not have been easier & more logical to simply complain directly about that, rather than take this roundabout approach? You went on a rant about its price & people calling it free when you still have to buy it, then ended with: “That just isn’t valid justification to shoot anyone down for having real concearns.”