Constructive Discussion about Conditions

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: mttgamer.2371

mttgamer.2371

I’ve seen a lot of whining and complaining about how Conditions are terrible, but I haven’t seen many discussions about how to improve them.
Please correct me if i’m wrong, but I would like to consolidate all the constructive posts about how to improve Conditions and Conditions builds.

I, unfortunately, am not too sure how i’d improve conditions. I think it should apply to buildings, but having a “bleeding weapons rack” doesn’t make much sense.

The biggest concerns i’ve been seeing is that, with Tequatl for example, anyone bringing a condition build is not helping as much as someone in bezerkers(eg) as Tequatl (pretty much) always has max stacks of conditions.

Please discuss how YOU would improve conditions civilly and constructively!

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

Well, for structures, have certain conditions have a counterpart when applied to structures:

• Bleeding, Poison, Burning > Erosion (a DoT)
  • Vulnerability and Chilled > Structural Weakness (Increases Direct and DoT Damage to structure)

For the rest, haven’t a clue, since it’s down to bandwidth and how conditions are calculated (not sure on the specifics of it)

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

Conditions are in the interesting place of being OP in PvP and WvW while being underpowered in PvE due to stacking limits. As anyone who use to run a warrior knows this is a very difficult problem to solve.

There are also technical limitations (I believe the maximum number of stacks is a bandwidth issue). Anyway, increasing the stack limit wouldn’t matter much, as Teq will always have max stacks even if you double the cap.

As for the “bleeding weapon rack” that can be rationalized pretty easily. Bleeding is just a bad name. Call it 1000 cuts and you can see how an insect swarm could cause DOT to a weapon rack. Poison could be corrosive, burning should obviously affect a weapon rack, confusion shouldn’t do anything (unless you have a sentient weapon rack that fights back)

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Posted by: Spiral Architect.6540

Spiral Architect.6540

There have been lots of constructive discussions about how to improve conditions, some going back almost to the launch of the game. All have been ignored.

This is why there has been “whining and complaining.”

But seriously, if you want a good constructive thread about the topic, spend a little time and go take a look at all the previous threads first. There are lots of good ideas in there, and they should provide you with some great thread fodder.

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

Conditions are a good idea on paper, not so much in game. It works alright for solo/small groups but if you’re going to be joining a zerg then you’ll have to accept that the condition-dependent build will be underpowered.

There isn’t any simple answer to improving its usefulness because raising the cap doesn’t mean anything when there are 50-100 players all applying bleeding or whatever to the same target. Besides that, there is the consideration of what kind of lag would result from 2x to 10x more stacks of each condition being calculated, and the issue of bosses dying too quickly because they take massive amounts of damage from multiple conditions.

Short of completely removing and recreating conditions in some other form, there isn’t anything they can do about it directly. A decent workaround would be to allow switching between dual builds or more, like Rift’s soul system. You could then easily switch between a condition build and zerker for solo or group play, or choose between offense/defense, PVE/WvWvW etc.

Posted by: Spiral Architect.6540

Spiral Architect.6540

Conditions are a good idea on paper, not so much in game. It works alright for solo/small groups but if you’re going to be joining a zerg then you’ll have to accept that the condition-dependent build will be underpowered.

There isn’t any simple answer to improving its usefulness because raising the cap doesn’t mean anything when there are 50-100 players all applying bleeding or whatever to the same target. Besides that, there is the consideration of what kind of lag would result from 2x to 10x more stacks of each condition being calculated, and the issue of bosses dying too quickly because they take massive amounts of damage from multiple conditions.

Short of completely removing and recreating conditions in some other form, there isn’t anything they can do about it directly. A decent workaround would be to allow switching between dual builds or more, like Rift’s soul system. You could then easily switch between a condition build and zerker for solo or group play, or choose between offense/defense, PVE/WvWvW etc.

Other games have condition-based classes and builds, and do just fine with the concept. Just sayin’.

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

Conditions are in the interesting place of being OP in PvP and WvW while being underpowered in PvE due to stacking limits.

Not just stacking limits. The average mob has a bigger health pool than the average character. And depending on the number of characters present, said health pool increases. End result is that as people gather, condition damage against mobs are rapidly turned into a futile effort.

The whole combat system is in effect balanced for PVP, as there at least stat sets have a effective tradeoff between tank and DPS.

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

Other games have condition-based classes and builds, and do just fine with the concept. Just sayin’.

Because GW2 DOTs are a computational nightmare.

In most other games each DOT skill has its own effect. The damage of said is calculated on application, and after that fixed for the duration. Stacks of DOTs act as a multiplier on that calculated damage.

In GW2, each unit of bleed is its own DOT. And the damage is not fixed on application, but can change between ticks based on other boons and conditions in play. So for a full stack of bleed, each second the server has to calculate 25 DOTs, taking into account such thing as the might currently on the character/mob that applied the various units of bleed. That can quickly become a massive CPU load during heated battles.

Posted by: mttgamer.2371

mttgamer.2371

What would happen if, like in that other MMO, you each had your own personal debuff stacks. So say Warrior A applies Bleeding 5 stacks, while Warrior B only applies 1 stack. there’s just a seperate set of stacks for each person attacking the monster.

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

What would happen if, like in that other MMO, you each had your own personal debuff stacks. So say Warrior A applies Bleeding 5 stacks, while Warrior B only applies 1 stack. there’s just a seperate set of stacks for each person attacking the monster.

I wrote above: “Short of completely removing and recreating conditions in some other form, there isn’t anything they can do about it directly.”

That would require completely reprogramming the condition system. Yes, it would work just fine, if they had the time/resources to do it, and wanted to spend that time and money on it instead of creating new content. They don’t seem to be interested in doing this, or if they are they aren’t talking about it. Which would be the smart thing to do, because the forums would be flooded with demands to finish it and make the changes live already.

There is also the problem of a massive increase in damage to bosses, which would either result in 5-second kills again, or they’d have to increase the hp pools to the point where it was mandatory to have at least 25 players applying each condition constantly to kill them.

(edited by tolunart.2095)