Constructive Feedback on Leather Prices

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Yea, leaving out valuable information that the game gives free handouts daily (which help those with less gold more than those with more gold, stuff like that.) Or maybe that the more valuable components (weapons) are also better to craft. And there’s food, but of course nobody uses that.

This is strongly related to a popular sentiment that one needs to buy gems to get gold in this game.

I mean, that being said, I really doubt even if prices were better, it would not make the crafting in Gw2 good There’s still the inevitable problem where people realize the price of crafting it yourself vs buying it is around the same…..

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Maybe not as high as Hardened Leather, but elevating them a little wouldn’t be terrible. They could go up 200-400% and not be a huge pain the rear. Inversely, leather could drop by at least that much and the entire market would coast along freely for a while.

The big problem right now is that the materials aren’t self-correcting. They rely on econs hawking over them, fiddling with knobs and often writing in the “11” to turn it up to, then quietly cringing in surprise when it all goes south.

The trading post is a great general solution to player trading, but material markets can easily fall out of line without a systematic mechanism to balance them.

I think that adding a demotion recipe to the Mystic Forge and upping the drop rate for Dust would allow for a greater degree of self-correction.

Perhaps too much?
Pretty sure the econs wouldn’t care for a semi-unlimited method like that.

Recent chatter has come up with the idea of using limited-per-day vendors in some capacity (1:1 at a fee, or exchanges based on info from the trading post API, etc). It has the benefit of allowing those materials to be traded, still maintaining some kind of gold sink, but also restricting the impact of a particular trade vector.

We might also run into the issue of promotion/demotion simply being less effective than sell-then-buy, as is often the case with basic crafting materials, since the cost in dust and reduction in results tends to offset the value of the output.

I still wouldn’t mind a demotion Forge, though.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

the demand side which I have brought up several times already.

And you’re ignoring the completely artificial demand spike that was caused by ANet. Inconvenient facts are still facts.

The leather farm isn’t doing as well because players can earn gold per hour at greater rates elsewhere in the game so it’s not worth their time the Hardened Leather Section drops are pitiful.

Fixed.

If they needed the leather, they could just farm elsewhere and buy it off the TP. Hardened leather price could drop 50% and this wouldn’t change.

Paid absolutely no attention to the only 27,000 units as of this morning citation. If we assume a measly 75,000 players logging in per day, that’s not enough to cover potential need. Some players are priced out and won’t buy. The ones with the money don’t need much to utterly wipe that supply out, if they wanted. One baron could shovel the roughly 9500g to buy the “reasonably-priced” supply of sections. That’s pocket change and dangerously unhealthy for the market.

Have you actually done the leather farm and see what you get?

Yes.

Is hardened leather prices a problem? Are they not a problem? I don’t care.

Apparently, you do.
And judging by the complicit satisfaction on “the farm” and prices in general, it’s easy to see one who is concerned more with lining pockets than player satisfaction.

Personally, I think it would be a good thing if Gossamer, Orichalcum, and Ancient Wood were also trading up as high as Hardened Leather is. They are T6, and thus should be quite a bit more valuable than the lower tiers.

Maybe not as high as Hardened Leather, but elevating them a little wouldn’t be terrible. They could go up 200-400% and not be a huge pain the rear. Inversely, leather could drop by at least that much and the entire market would coast along freely for a while.

The big problem right now is that the materials aren’t self-correcting. They rely on econs hawking over them, fiddling with knobs and often writing in the “11” to turn it up to, then quietly cringing in surprise when it all goes south.

The trading post is a great general solution to player trading, but material markets can easily fall out of line without a systematic mechanism to balance them.

Please stop adding subtopics that I wasn’t even discussing. I’m not going to address what you wrote which didn’t directly relate to my original post. You’ve already side-tracked my post into different tangents enough as it is and I unfortunately went along with it.

Here’s the post that I was responding to:

I don’t know how anyone can claim hardened leather prices are okay when they’re, what, 20-30 times the price of gossamer (despite gossamer also coming entirely from salvage and loot bags).

You cannot use gossamer scraps as a baseline to determine where hardened leather price should be at. They are not the same as they have different supply/demand metrics. Supply is similar except leather has a more direct way to get sections with the farm. Demand is entirely different as gossamer is primarily used for armor whereas hardened leather is used for many other things.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Rauderi.8706

You cannot use gossamer scraps as a baseline to determine where hardened leather price should be at. They are not the same as they have different supply/demand metrics. Supply is similar except leather has a more direct way to get sections with the farm. Demand is entirely different as gossamer is primarily used for armor whereas hardened leather is used for many other things.

I pulled direct quotes. If there were tangents, don’t blame me.

Point we’ve driven home constantly is pretty much as described above. Leaving it at that point is academically negligent. The point specifically is that they can be compared.

Why is gossamer, an equivalent-level material with highly similar acquisition, relatively low, while leather is excessively high and suffering a shortage? it’s right there in bold text above.

ArenaNet altered and added those uses to inflate prices. This isn’t some player-driven action. We are backed into a corner by a ham-fisted administrative action. There really is no simpler way to say it.

Many alts; handle it!
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

There might be “more ways” to acquire hard leather, but the drop rate in each acquisition method is so low that I’m still swimming in way more gossamer than I am in hard leather. Your arguments don’t make any rational sense.

Like I said in my post, gossamer has relatively few uses compared to hardened leather. My arguments make little sense because you’re selectively ignoring parts of them.

Edit: I’ll also add that I arguing for or against hardened leather prices being out of line in that post. What I was arguing against was the poster using gossamer as a basis for how hardened leather prices should be when they have different supply/demand metrics.

To be fair I think this is part of the problem. To “fix” leather prices, Anet slapped leather into a bunch of recipes it shouldn’t be in. I’m surprised you don’t need leather to bake food. Anyways, this is why gossamer is cheaper than leather.

Perhaps gossamer should be given more sinks then.

Really?

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Okay then @Raudari, they have the same drop mechanism. Supply numbers on the TP only shows the current amount up for sale, it’s the amount that isn’t selling. There are a few trading sites that attempt to measure supply flowing into and out of the TP by tracking the change in the supply every 4-5 minutes. Up means posted for sale, down means bought. Now they do the same with demand but since there isn’t a fee you can lose by pulling your bid, I don’t trust those numbers being as indicative as the numbers “guestimated” by the changes in supply.

Now according to GW2BLTC, in the last 24 hours the have Gossamer selling 12,500 units while 16,200 units being adding for sale. Now Harded Leather Sections are selling 10,900 units with with 16,500 being added. This helps support the notion that drop methods are similar.

The issue is the supply remaining for Harded Leather Sections that has been dropped into the really pricey supply. If you bought out the supply of Gossamer until you only have 20K left the price would likely be over 10s each (looking at the sales listings). And once it gets that low, those bidding control the how much the price can drop since you can’t offer under the low bid. So yes, there could be a group preventing the price from dropping constantly resetting bids.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

Posted by: TorsoReaper.8530

TorsoReaper.8530

Some more actual facts: Full ascended vs Ascended weapons/trinkets + Exotic armor is a 2% difference.

Actual fact: Ascended gear can hold infinity more AR than Exotics

ArchonWing.9480

Some more actual facts: Full ascended vs Ascended weapons/trinkets + Exotic armor is a 2% difference.

Actual fact: Ascended gear can hold infinity more AR than Exotics

Actual Fact: That only matters in a single area of the game.
Actual Fact: That subtopic was on new players
Actual Fact: You picked that out of the above context.
Opinion: Probably should stop phrasing arguments as soundbites.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

" I know friends irl that refuse to try GW2 because of how kittened up leather is."

How in the world would people who haven’t even tried gw2 know the ins and outs of level 80 crafting? The only thing I can think of is if you talk their ears off about it when they ask a question about the game. If that’s it, maybe point them to level 80 temple armor or cheap TP exotics for their first armor. That may be all they need. Not everyone carries around multiple sets of armor.

They ask me how crafting in this game is. And I tell them that leather is simultaneously that mat needed in the highest quantities for most crafting, and is also the slowest to acquire through gameplay. Turns them off from the game, because that just isn’t a good design for a crafting system.

This reminds me of a thread where a guy complained that all his friends would try gw2 then quit. After a bit of discussion it turned out he was bad mouthing the game every time he gave advice and information, and then was surprised his friends formed a negative opinion of the game. This sounds like that sort of situation where someone asks about a feature and the adviser only gives information on one aspect and doesn’t give the alternatives, such as temple armor or dungeon armor. It assumes that the new person must craft and ignores that many people can get their exotics outside of crafting. Maybe next time you could discuss the alternatives to crafting and discuss how to get them to encourage your friends to play instead of only pointing out one way of acquisition (that you don’t like).

I mean you’re free to think what you like, but the only reason my friends were considering trying GW2 in the first place is because of how much I talk about it in general. Of course I’m going to bring up the areas where I think the game is falling (extremely) short, I don’t think its fair to them to only talk about what I like about the game, just how I don’t think its fair to only talk about what I don’t like about the game.

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

This is actually an opinion. Unless you’re dictating what matters to people. :p

It’s probably not that many people who really care about AR + stat infusions or WvW infusions and are specifically saying they matter though.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

(edited by FrizzFreston.5290)

Posted by: Solstace.2514

Solstace.2514

My main issue is that a lot of high level/end game content is gated behind gear. I preferred the guild wars 1 system, in which your gear stats were maxed even on the cheap stuff, but you could grind for the prestige armor if you wanted. It was never required for end game content, but people still liked to get their shinies.

In GW2, that’s not the case. I disagree with people in this thread. You DO NEED ascended armor if you want to do high level fractals, raiding, etc.
You can claim it’s only a 2% difference, but I dont see how you can reasonably get to 154 AR without the infusion slots on ascended armor.
I also dont see any competent, decent raid group accepting a person in full exotics. Many raid encounters are straight up dps checks and the extra stats of ascended help PLUS the bonuses from the infusions.

I prefer to spend my time doing things I enjoy in a game. I’d rather be doing raiding or T4 fractals like 100 CM than farming leather or other mats. I just dont enjoy farming. I find it to be tedious and boring and get plenty of that crap in my real job. I’m sure some people love to farm, I’m just not one of them but I dont want to have my game severely limited because of that.

Yes, I have a full set of ascended on one character, but I have multiple different classes that I would like to use in fractals and in raids. Good raiding guilds require you to have multiple characters that can play multiple roles and that means multiple sets of ascended armor.

ArchonWing.9480

It’s probably not that many people who really care about AR + stat infusions or WvW infusions and are specifically saying they matter though.

No, we were specifically talking about AR. Show me an area of the game wher agony resist matters out of fractals. I will be waiting.

Whether or not the stat infusions matter elsewhere is an opinion.

Posted by: Ider.1276

Ider.1276

This reminds me of a thread where a guy complained that all his friends would try gw2 then quit. After a bit of discussion it turned out he was bad mouthing the game every time he gave advice and information, and then was surprised his friends formed a negative opinion of the game. This sounds like that sort of situation where someone asks about a feature and the adviser only gives information on one aspect and doesn’t give the alternatives, such as temple armor or dungeon armor. It assumes that the new person must craft and ignores that many people can get their exotics outside of crafting. Maybe next time you could discuss the alternatives to crafting and discuss how to get them to encourage your friends to play instead of only pointing out one way of acquisition (that you don’t like).

Is telling the truth “bad mouthing”?

My friend asks me: “hey, I want to burn people as condi engineer, its fun. And I heard they are really good!”
I tell him: “Yeah, they are one of the best. You’ll want viper armor, cause without 60% of condition duration from it you will lose a ton of damage. You can use cheap rampager, but the damage will be even worse, cause it has even less condi damage.”
After buying rampagers: “You know, this thing sucks. I spent 15 gold on this gear, but I kill enemies significantly worse than your condi ranger. I feel myself underpowered. What were you saying about viper stats?”
“It is craftable only. You’ll need around 90 cured hardened leather for a set.”
“I’ve got 5 so far, I’ll buy the rest. Wow, its 90 gold on the trading post just for one component. Is it hard and long to get it?”
“Well, for the last 2 months I was not farming it, just playing 1-2 hours a day and having fun, and got 30 cured h.leather.”
“Ok then, what about farm you mentioned?”
“There is a centaur farm. In a good group I usually get there 120 hides per hour.”
“Wow, thats more like it! I can get myself a good gear in less than an hour!”
“Well… 120 hides is like 4 cured leathers, if you are lucky with salvage rates.”
“I’m sorry, I know you like this game a lot, but this is too much for me. This is some kind of bullkitten I experienced in korean MMO’s. Let me know if anything changes.”

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

My main issue is that a lot of high level/end game content is gated behind gear. I preferred the guild wars 1 system, in which your gear stats were maxed even on the cheap stuff, but you could grind for the prestige armor if you wanted. It was never required for end game content, but people still liked to get their shinies.

In GW2, that’s not the case. I disagree with people in this thread. You DO NEED ascended armor if you want to do high level fractals, raiding, etc.
You can claim it’s only a 2% difference, but I dont see how you can reasonably get to 154 AR without the infusion slots on ascended armor.
I also dont see any competent, decent raid group accepting a person in full exotics. Many raid encounters are straight up dps checks and the extra stats of ascended help PLUS the bonuses from the infusions.

I prefer to spend my time doing things I enjoy in a game. I’d rather be doing raiding or T4 fractals like 100 CM than farming leather or other mats. I just dont enjoy farming. I find it to be tedious and boring and get plenty of that crap in my real job. I’m sure some people love to farm, I’m just not one of them but I dont want to have my game severely limited because of that.

Yes, I have a full set of ascended on one character, but I have multiple different classes that I would like to use in fractals and in raids. Good raiding guilds require you to have multiple characters that can play multiple roles and that means multiple sets of ascended armor.

Of course Fractals require ascended gear. That’s the whole point of the agony mechanic in Fractals since they were introduced. I just don’t consider Fractals “end game” content. I consider them as nearly optional content and the only reason it’s not totally optional is a few optional items require mats from Fractals. In my case Mawdrey II.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

My friend asks me: “hey, I want to burn people as condi engineer, its fun. And I heard they are really good!”
I tell him: “Yeah, they are one of the best. You’ll want viper armor, cause without 60% of condition duration from it you will lose a ton of damage. You can use cheap rampager, but the damage will be even worse, cause it has even less condi damage.”
After buying rampagers: “You know, this thing sucks. I spent 15 gold on this gear, but I kill enemies significantly worse than your condi ranger. I feel myself underpowered. What were you saying about viper stats?”
“I’ve got 5 so far, I’ll buy the rest. Wow, its 90 gold on the trading post just for one component. Is it hard and long to get it?”
“Well, for the last 2 months I was not farming it, just playing 1-2 hours a day and having fun, and got 30 cured h.leather.”
“There is a centaur farm. In a good group I usually get there 120 hides per hour.”
“Well… 120 hides is like 4 cured leathers, if you are lucky with salvage rates.”
“I’m sorry, I know you like this game a lot, but this is too much for me. This is some kind of bullkitten I experienced in korean MMO’s. Let me know if anything changes.”

That post was about people who hadn’t even started the game yet and are being discouraged by someone who is talking about the cost of high end crafting. How many people who have not yet started playing are going to know that they they want to be condi engineers who need the most expensive gear for burning down other players? Extremely few, I’d say. Which is why someone who is talking to a non gw2 player and only or primarily discusses the most expensive way to get gear and not the cheaper alternatives is not giving a balanced view. If you don’t give a balanced view then that can be considered bad mouthing. Not all players need to craft. Dungeon or temple armor might be exactly what a new level 80 player needs and emphasizing crafting and its costs is doing the prospective new player a disservice.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

ArchonWing.9480

Viper Weapons/Trinkets + Rampager Armor
http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQJAqKSYLKwPsEDAA-T1xPABEv/QeKB3W5HAq/Q5DAYX9Ara+hQAKmDA-w

Full Vipers
http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQJAqKSYLKwPsEDAA-T1BuwAL3fQm5HxK/EqHAgSwNPAApq/QIAFzBA-w

lol pls. The problem with viper isn’t the armor part as it is with getting the recipes as well as the difficulty of finding trinkets.

So why are we working on the armor when we could work on the weapons and possibly trinkets first? I mean it’s up to you if you want to focus on 58 power. 61 condition damage and 13% duration. (well, maybe 23% if you want to be uber l33t and go for the geomancer or whatever they’re into these days)

Rauderi.8706

Okay then @Raudari, they have the same drop mechanism. Supply numbers on the TP only shows the current amount up for sale, it’s the amount that isn’t selling. There are a few trading sites that attempt to measure supply flowing into and out of the TP by tracking the change in the supply every 4-5 minutes. Up means posted for sale, down means bought. Now they do the same with demand but since there isn’t a fee you can lose by pulling your bid, I don’t trust those numbers being as indicative as the numbers “guestimated” by the changes in supply.

Now according to GW2BLTC, in the last 24 hours the have Gossamer selling 12,500 units while 16,200 units being adding for sale. Now Harded Leather Sections are selling 10,900 units with with 16,500 being added. This helps support the notion that drop methods are similar.

The issue is the supply remaining for Harded Leather Sections that has been dropped into the really pricey supply. If you bought out the supply of Gossamer until you only have 20K left the price would likely be over 10s each (looking at the sales listings). And once it gets that low, those bidding control the how much the price can drop since you can’t offer under the low bid. So yes, there could be a group preventing the price from dropping constantly resetting bids.

I did neglect to dig up the estimate trading volume. I’m not that handy around the trading post sites. Good catch.
I’m not even advocating a conspiracy theory, just pointing out that the low supply could easily be threatened by players with greater resources. Or even one player with those resources, as like what happened with Mystic Coins. That’s not a good position to be in for a highly-used commodity.

Many alts; handle it!

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

No, we were specifically talking about AR. Show me an area of the game wher agony resist matters out of fractals. I will be waiting.

Whether or not the stat infusions matter elsewhere is an opinion.

Yeah, I was mostly talking about infusions rather than strictly AR. Somehow I ignored the exact wording of the post you replied to and thought AR = infusions.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

Posted by: TorsoReaper.8530

TorsoReaper.8530

Actual Fact: Ascended gear is account bound and Exotics are soul bound.

ArchonWing.9480

Actual Fact: Ascended gear is account bound and Exotics are soul bound.

Thanks for sharing. Now how is that relevant to the text you quoted; or are you going to entertain us with more trivia? Since you are so adept at administering the truth, you might tell us how that makes Agony Resist relevant outside of fractals.

So are you implying that since ascended armor can be used across multiple characters, then that justifies its increased cost? Or are you saying that since you don’t need to craft ascended armor for all your characters and the fact that ascended armor doesn’t break, then not as many materials are needed?

In that case, I think it should be even more expensive to make ascended armor. Is that the conclusion you wanted?

If I were you, I would ignore this and suggest a need that you need to create a ascended set per character. Otherwise, you’d gg your own argument. But I can only help you so much.

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

I think we have to look at t5 and t6 leather separately, as they are mostly used for different tiers of gear.

Hard leather is mostly used for exotic armor, the crafted exotic insignias to swap stats on ascended gear and leveling leatherworker from 400-500.

Thick leather is mostly used for ascended armor.

I think the prices of hard leather for swapping stats on ascended are quite fine, considering that this is a QoL feature that was introduced after HoT and meant that players didnt have to craft (and store) different stat armor every time they wanted to try a new asc build. I cant understand the complaints that swapping stats on asc gear is too expensive now because of hard leather.

Players that swap stats on ascended are mostly veterans that are done leveling their crafting professions, already have their ascended gear and have access to end game farms for a decent g/hour. The ability to swap stats also considerably eased the grind for ascended HoT gear as it allowed to avoid the fulgurite costs.

So i dont think veteran players shouldnt complain much about the prices for stat swapping.

I can see why players are complaining about the relatively high costs for crafting exotic gear with hot stats, as crafting is their only source, compared to exotic vanilla gear, which has many different faucets (currency vendors, random drops, forge etc.) and therefore way lower acquisition costs.

But thats just because we were just to cheap exotic gear for over 4 years and therefore think that those price levels should be the same for HoT exotics. Shortly after GW2 launched, Anet admitted that they overestimated the average time that the player base needed to acquire exotic gear and therefore introduced ascended gear.

To me it looks like with HoT, Anet wanted to make the new exotic gear harder to acquire again, which is why they made them account bound, crafting their only source and gated it behind content completion. Considering that players who want and need HoT stat exotics are already veteran players and todays ability to earn and farm enough gold/mats to craft an exotic item per day, I think its okay too.

When the game launched and i dinged 80 a couple of weeks after, it took me at least another month or so to get my first full exotic build as well.

And the prices to level your crafts to 500 are also considerably cheaper today compared to earlier times.

I actually think that Anet is fine with the current price of hard leather and its working its role in the economy as intended. One complaint we often heard befre HoT, was from light armor users, complaining that cloth is too expensive. They fixed that by making medium armor the most expensive of all armor weights and also narrowed the gap between acquisition costs across all armor weights by making the insignias the most expensive item on the shopping list.

I am quite sure that Anet wont do a 180 on the patch or refinement recipe, which would mean taking a whole chunk out of the general demand for leather in general. They will most likely keep adding new supply faucets. Even if they intended to cut the price of t6 leather in half, they wouldnt choose to alter the recipes (sinks) by a great margin, which would probably result in a sudden price drop, they would aim to add more small faucets over time, so the price will fall by 50% over the period of several months.

1/2

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

1/2

2/2

t5 leather is mostly used for crafting ascended gear and even more so with the new grandmaster mark system, where it accounts for at least 25% (tailor/armorsmith/artificer/weaponsmith) to over 50% (leatherworker/huntsman marks) of the overall material costs.

As those marks dont need any t6 leather at all, players who intent to craft ascended gear or grandmaster marks to get it via the new vendors, should be way more concerned with the rising price of t5 leather, which already tripled within the last 2 months and lost 2/3 of its supply listings on the tp.

But at least, that drops quite frequently from the leather farm.

Many players claim that the implementation of the leather farm has failed and it isnt working as intended but I think that is mostly because most players had different intentions for the leather farm than Anet to begin with. The players expected the prices to fall drastically but Anet just wanted to give players the opportunity to target farm leather of all tiers. That way, supply is more elastic in demanding times and the players can easier regulate the prices themselves. But as long players are able and willing to farm other content because they earn more gold per hour there to buy their leather from the tp, prices will keep climbing. And lets not forget that in the past 2 months, demand for leather from the player base was probably way higher than the 2 months before, when everbody was still farming ABML and not many players were making new builds or crafting new gear.

Since february, we have seen alot of releases, which resulted in new demand for build changes, first the new raid wing and grandmaster marks, then the balance patch. On top of that, I think alot of new players, which picked up the HoT on sale during Dec/Jan, might have started leveling their crafts and working on their first ascended sets, either through traditional crafting or grandmaster marks in feb/mar.

And I dont see that diminishing in the near future. SAB certainly doesnt create new demand for leather (or other common mats) but it keeps a good chunk of the player base from other content, which drops consirably more leather than SAB, so even if demand might go down over the coming weeks as players finish their builds, new supply is probably going down as well, compared to the weeks and months before SAB started. And in 4 weeks or so, we will have the next episode of LS and legendary armor coming out, which might be another huge leather sink, if the grandmaster marks are used to complete the collection for the precursor armor or instead of the collection for additional legendary armor sets.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Exactly as I suspected … so tell us all how it’s reasonable that a new player wants to perform at the level of a veteran but not put in the time to do so? I mean … put another way … what is it about people being new to the game that justifies changing things? Weren’t we all new at some point? It’s not making any sense here. Why is the new guy special and deserves some lowered requirements for obtaining the same gear as a veteran player?

The only thing I see here is that your friend was mislead. No, he wasn’t going to match damage output of a full Viper Ascended with Rampagers but then again, he was wrong in assuming (or being told) that he kills enemies significantly worse. I don’t even see how that’s unreasonable if it is the case. Again, people just expecting to rushed to the ‘endgame’ by their buddies, and then realizing they don’t have the resources or even an understanding of what the game entails. I mean … he was complaining about spending 15G …

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

That’s a strawman if I ever saw one. Ascended was extremely cheap to acquire before HoT was released compared to now, so “veteran” players didn’t have to put in nearly the same amount of effort that a new player would to gear up in full ascended.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

That’s a strawman if I ever saw one. Ascended was extremely cheap to acquire before HoT was released compared to now, so “veteran” players didn’t have to put in nearly the same amount of effort that a new player would to gear up in full ascended.

In January 2015:

• Light – 413G
  • Medium – 328G
  • Heavy – 355G

End of March:

• Light – 454G
  • Medium – 489G
  • Heavy – 405G

If you considered pre-HoT to be “extremely cheap” then post-HoT is fairly close.

Edit: At the end of January this year before the Feb 22nd patch

• Light – 372G
  • Medium – 405G
  • Heavy – 349G

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

It’s not at all. Using some perceived difference between veteran and new players to justify a GLOBAL change to the game is just nonsense; Even if leather was cheap, it wouldn’t be the only barrier to a new person getting endgame gear, so it’s NOT a solution to the difference in capability between new and veteran players to get gear to begin with.

Anyone who thinks like this doesn’t understand the value a person gets from playing the game. My point still stands … you have new players wanting to be where veterans are at … after playing SIGNIFICANTLY less time … and then justifying that as a reason for cheap stuff. That’s just silly. If these people think there is so little value in playing the game to get things … then why would Anet EVER change the game to make it easier for them to play it LESS in the first place? These arguments are completely self-defeating.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

ArchonWing.9480

Ascended gear was ever cheap.

Lol

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Reminder, a lot of players are running SAB which reduces the production of material goods. Once SAB ends and the new LS episode is out, they’ll probably more supply again.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.