Content is feeling flat

Content is feeling flat

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: PraetorMortis.8610

PraetorMortis.8610

6 months into the game and I’m starting to feel like there is a lack of cohesive objectives and incentives in this game. I’m working on my legendary but one can only farm so much in a day before it becomes painful. WvW is mildly entertaining until I die to bad culling behavior or a perma stealth thief a few times. Dungeons are a cakewalk. Fractals are kind of dumb, but the reason they aren’t very exciting is a whole different thread.

I’m not trying to whine about the game as much as I’m curious if anyone else feels like they’ve run out of stuff to do already? Some folks in my guild haven’t even hit 80 yet! Others still haven’t gotten 100% map completion. I did these things in September. Now I feel like I’ve kinda stalled. I never thought I’d miss raiding but it at least gave me something to look forward to.

Anyone else feeling like Tyria keeps getting smaller?

Content is feeling flat

Posted by: marc.6380

marc.6380

for me it feels like i have done everything in this game a 100 times

World completion
dungeon master
legendary
wvsw / pvp casuel
jumping puzzle/ mini dungeons

all done … atm im just doing dayli, and dayli pvp, guild mannagement and then log off.
but yeah i think i over played the game abit maybe 750 hours have i been playing.

EDIT: i miss raids too ;(

(edited by marc.6380)

Content is feeling flat

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

Every game needs expanded content over time. Seriously, this still qualifies as a new game. While I fault Anet on some design choices I don’t fault them for having a new game 6 months into the game’s history.

Content is feeling flat

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

You probably should take your time with new mmos, there’s only so fast content can be made, rushing will always lead to burnout.

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

Content is feeling flat

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I can’t think any ANY MMO that was out for six months and didn’t have this problem. Not one.

I can’t think of any MMO that charged a monthly fee even that didn’t have this problem. Six month into Rift, I was ready to gnaw my own arm off. Six months into Aion and you’d better PvP, because there weren’t enough quests.

The ONLY except would be sandbox MMOs where people make their own content. In a themepark MMO, every game released too early, every game needs a zillion bug fixes, every game has to balance stuff out, and that happens about six months after release, if you’re lucky.

Only then will more content be on the plate.

You should be happy there’s no monthly fee to this game, and you haven’t been paying for it for six months.

Content is feeling flat

Posted by: scoobymode.1942

scoobymode.1942

I can’t think any ANY MMO that was out for six months and didn’t have this problem. Not one.

I can’t think of any MMO that charged a monthly fee even that didn’t have this problem. Six month into Rift, I was ready to gnaw my own arm off. Six months into Aion and you’d better PvP, because there weren’t enough quests.

The ONLY except would be sandbox MMOs where people make their own content. In a themepark MMO, every game released too early, every game needs a zillion bug fixes, every game has to balance stuff out, and that happens about six months after release, if you’re lucky.

Only then will more content be on the plate.

You should be happy there’s no monthly fee to this game, and you haven’t been paying for it for six months.

Can’t think of one MMO that hasn’t had this problem? Then obviously you haven’t played enough MMO’s.

When Aion came out, it took months and months to do everything in the game compared to what it takes in GW 2. Aion was allot harder also and way more grindy back then than it is now…. But still, I do agree that most MMO’s do in fact get rushed through and many people feel like they done it all within a few months, but not all MMO’s are easy to go through and get the best gear, best weapon, complete all quests, and what not… Aion, the worst RNG game made.

Content is feeling flat

Vayne.8563

Actually, a ton of people left Aion back then because they were forced to PvP and couldn’t level through PVe, which is why it was later changed, at least somewhat. And PvP content is not PvE content, they’re different animals.

Now I know people who live, eat and breath WvW, and still have fun doing it, but I’ll never be one of those people. I enjoy it every now and again. And I know people who want to SPvP, but there’s not observer mode, no rankings, nothing for the competitive people.

And look at that, six months after launch, they’ll be doing a major WvW upgrade and a major upgrade to SPvP, starting in February.

Aion didn’t have a ton of stuff to do. The grind was so bad that it just took longer to get through the stuff that was there. But there was actually way less content.

Unless you consider killing the same boss over and over again 1000 times content, until you leveled high enough to get to the next area.

Content is feeling flat

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

Well, I’m bored of playing the same kitten spec on my Ele because notwithstanding minor variations, it’s the only spec that’s worth a kitten

I can’t believe it’s been > 5months and weapon/trait/skill balance is still terrible and nothing has been done.

downed state is bad for PVP

Content is feeling flat

Posted by: PraetorMortis.8610

PraetorMortis.8610

I think scooby hit on what is bothering me the most. I just didn’t realize it til someone said it. It’s not that there isn’t enough content, it’s just too easy. Other MMOs felt longer to me because things like raids were hard enough to hold my attention. The PvE content in this game is laughable at best. High level fractals are hard but not in a good way. Giving the same enemies and the same encounters more health and more damage just makes the fights longer not more exciting.

The gear system is cool in one way and awful in another. I hit 80 and had my first full set of exotics (BiS at the time) in a week! Now I own countless sets of armor. It was never that easy in other games. I’m sure I’ve overplayed this game but still: I’m feeling a touch of boredom.

The changes to some of the Temple events in Orr are decent and almost feel like really easy raids. I’d kill for some 8-10 player content that is instanced so I can run it with guildies and face a prolonged but exciting challenge. (i.e. Guild Raids)

I bought this game for the PvP but heck, WvW is such a mess. All the previews of WvW that sold me on GW2 didn’t metion the horrific culling and invisible armies. Had I only known…

Content is feeling flat

scoobymode.1942

Actually, a ton of people left Aion back then because they were forced to PvP and couldn’t level through PVe, which is why it was later changed, at least somewhat. And PvP content is not PvE content, they’re different animals.

Now I know people who live, eat and breath WvW, and still have fun doing it, but I’ll never be one of those people. I enjoy it every now and again. And I know people who want to SPvP, but there’s not observer mode, no rankings, nothing for the competitive people.

And look at that, six months after launch, they’ll be doing a major WvW upgrade and a major upgrade to SPvP, starting in February.

Aion didn’t have a ton of stuff to do. The grind was so bad that it just took longer to get through the stuff that was there. But there was actually way less content.

Unless you consider killing the same boss over and over again 1000 times content, until you leveled high enough to get to the next area.

Ok fair points but I just wanted to point out that Aion is a MMO that could take you months to accomplish everything regardless if it has less content which it does.
Back then even the level 50 armor could take you months to get and I am talking about the Mira set, forget what it’s called on the asmo side.

Oh and are you Vayne the mod on another guild wars 2 site I read daily? Hi.

Content is feeling flat

Vayne.8563

Ok fair points but I just wanted to point out that Aion is a MMO that could take you months to accomplish everything regardless if it has less content which it does.
Back then even the level 50 armor could take you months to get and I am talking about the Mira set, forget what it’s called on the asmo side.

Oh and are you Vayne the mod on another guild wars 2 site I read daily? Hi.

I am that Vayne, but recently left the site.

On the topic of content, this is what most MMOs do. They make it take a long long time to do what’s there. You do a dungeon and it locks you out for X number of hours. You do a raid and it locks you out for a week. That isn’t more content. It’s more hours you need to spend. Making you travel around a world by flight paths is a time sink. Games that have monthly fees have tons of time sinks. It makes it seem like there’s a lot of content, but really it’s just a lot of time to do less content.

Not quite the same thing. For example, most games don’t have a personal story, and launch with between 500 and 600 quests. Guild Wars 2 has 1500 dynamic events and personal stories. And though it has only 8 dungeons, it has four paths for each. And WvW and SPvP. It’s more than most games launch with.

In two years, it’ll have a ton of content. Pretty much the same thing Rift did. Just go to any game forum six months after launch and look at the number of people complaining about nothing to do. Remember SWToR and the no end game complaints? Rift had them. Every MMO I can remember has them.

People just need to be patient because no developer can make enough content to satisfy people who burn through content. It’s just not possible.

Content is feeling flat

Posted by: Simon.3106

Simon.3106

My Dear Vayne… you’re one with wisdom. I hope more people can think like you =)

~Way of the Ranger~
Legendary Ranger, Simon

Content is feeling flat

Vayne.8563

My Dear Vayne… you’re one with wisdom. I hope more people can think like you =)

Don’t let my wife hear you say that. She’d probably laugh if she heard this. But you know, it’s just experience. Every forum for every game I’ve frequented people say the same exact stuff. You could almost change the name of the game and no one would know the difference.

You know the people complaining on these forums about pretty much everything? That was me on the Rift forums. lol

Content is feeling flat

Posted by: Rynn.1324

Rynn.1324

People need to realize that you can’t expect one game to be your primary source of entertainment. If you’re putting in six hours a day or more, then yes, there’s not going to be enough to do. Ever.

[Tarnished Coast] Lizzibeth Huffles, Asuran Genius (Engineer) at Play

(edited by Rynn.1324)

Content is feeling flat

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

I play no more than 2 hours a day and I’ve got plenty to do.
Take it easy. It’s a game, not a job. I love chess. I play it a lot. I don’t play it 2 hours a day consistently … lol

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Content is feeling flat

scoobymode.1942

People need to realize that you can expect one game to be your primary source of entertainment. If you’re putting in six hours a day or more, then yes, there’s not going to be enough to do. Ever.

Exactly, that’s the problem with lots of MMO gamers compared to other gamers and that’s a fact but yeah there are gamers that would try to make one game their life also.

I myself play many many different games, the best thing is GW 2 IS NOT PAY TO PLAY SO if you get bored, then just take a break and play another game or come back whenever you feel like it.

Content is feeling flat

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

the game need to be built around having fun not grind. this way people wouldnt feel this way anymore.

the game started out with grind in mind. from the time of player’s first character, the player is made to grind levels, and grind other things after that.

it poor game design really.

Content is feeling flat

Vayne.8563

the game need to be built around having fun not grind. this way people wouldnt feel this way anymore.

the game started out with grind in mind. from the time of player’s first character, the player is made to grind levels, and grind other things after that.

Except that I’ve been playing this game since beta and I don’t grind. Grind is a state of mind. The game isn’t designed to grind, it allows people to grind if that’s what they choose to do. And if you choose not to, it allows you to do that as well.

Every game that entertains people who burn through content must include some kind of grind, or at least some very steep time sinks.

Content is feeling flat

Posted by: wildcode.5403

wildcode.5403

Putting aside the loot issue, I do enjoy GW2. I am levelling my 6th character and in the process of levelling revisit many areas of Tyria. I often find content I didn’t notice before or events that I’ve not seen running before.

I find if you stick to one small part of the game, you can get burnt out on it quite quickly. During my gaming time each day I will use different characters and visit different areas to do different things from chasing around those big chickens (dragons) to harvesting ori, to getting a massive repair bill in WvW, to just levelling, plus fit in my dailies.

Tyria is a big world, it is a waste not to take full advantage of it.

Content is feeling flat

scoobymode.1942

Grind You say? Just like the other person said, it’s a state of mind… But, name me an MMO please that didn’t have leveling involved or working to get the best gear when you don’t have to work to get the easy gear?

On GW 2 I got 80 within a week, and other MMO’s it took forever to reach max level.. So if anything GW 2 is by far least grindy than most MMO’s but that’s my opinion. I soloed myself through the story until the last mission…. The gear? not hard to get, just do events and sell the junk.

Content is feeling flat

Posted by: Avatar.1923

im at 350h since launch and i have a lot to do/try.

Content is feeling flat

Knighthonor.4061

Grind You say? Just like the other person said, it’s a state of mind… But, name me an MMO please that didn’t have leveling involved or working to get the best gear when you don’t have to work to get the easy gear?

On GW 2 I got 80 within a week, and other MMO’s it took forever to reach max level.. So if anything GW 2 is by far least grindy than most MMO’s but that’s my opinion. I soloed myself through the story until the last mission…. The gear? not hard to get, just do events and sell the junk.

I played Darkfall. And I didnt have character level. I would venture into the world and just explore and have fun doing whatever I wanted. no heart quest or anything time sinky like that. Only issue was the FFA PvP which killed PvE server trust.

Levels arent everything. its boring grind. most people feel that way as well. 1-80 feel pretty useless since every reward you get will be outleveled, and all it acts is as a content lock. forcing players to grind the levels to get to the next stage. wasnt that the same argument against Raid Dungeons, was that treadmill feeling of grinding to unlock the next raid and on and on. thats the same mess with level.

“Hey I am level 5 now. Now I can use 2 sets of weapons. But man, I still dont have a utility slot yet. have to grind 5 more levels… crap.

Hey I am level 10 now. Oh but I have to grind another level to unlock trait.

Hey I am level 11 now, but I have only 1 trait point, and cant do much with that. also I dont get a new utility slot until 9 more levels are gained.. crap. back to grinding those levels."

man that can go on an on.

Content is feeling flat

Posted by: Writetyper.1985

Writetyper.1985

I would just like something built around replayability. Dungeons/Fractals are NOT this at all, even though they vastly encourage it because they are exactly the same every time you run it.

Hell, I’d be happy with your standard defense mode that you might see in other games (see Halo’s firefight or GOW’s horde). Semi-random/dynamic defence, gets harder as you go along. It doesn’t need to have rewards, there’s nothing wrong with just playing something for fun.

If WvW and my guild weren’t here, I’d probably have left this game long ago.

Mortryde/Cold/Thugmentalist Bara
really bad engineer

Content is feeling flat

Vayne.8563

I played Darkfall. And I didnt have character level. I would venture into the world and just explore and have fun doing whatever I wanted. no heart quest or anything time sinky like that. Only issue was the FFA PvP which killed PvE server trust.

Levels arent everything. its boring grind. most people feel that way as well. 1-80 feel pretty useless since every reward you get will be outleveled, and all it acts is as a content lock. forcing players to grind the levels to get to the next stage. wasnt that the same argument against Raid Dungeons, was that treadmill feeling of grinding to unlock the next raid and on and on. thats the same mess with level.

“Hey I am level 5 now. Now I can use 2 sets of weapons. But man, I still dont have a utility slot yet. have to grind 5 more levels… crap.

Hey I am level 11 now, but I have only 1 trait point, and cant do much with that. also I dont get a new utility slot until 9 more levels are gained.. crap. back to grinding those levels."

Progression =/= grind. Every MMO has progression of some kind, level or gear or skill. Every single one.

But since you can level multiple ways in this game, it’s not grinding, because you don’t have to do one thing. You can mix it up. You can explore, gather, craft, kill stuff, do hearts, do events, WvW and all if it gives you XP.

If you don’t enjoy any of this, why are you even playing an MMO?

In fact, people who don’t enjoy any of it are welcome to PvP at max level without doing any of it. So I’d say the grind’s in your mind.

Content is feeling flat

and seriously, gosh that game is well done.
the engine is smooth.
graphics, music, sound, ui, map design..
i mean, i tried other games and gw2 is very VERY well done.

my only little critic is about endgame content not being nailed (aside from fotm, but there should be a lot more of those from the start..a lot) and wvw/pvp lacking features and competitiveness and world boss/open world endgame being a bit easy/zerg/stale.

but aside from those few “thinking” design flaws, the actual technical game is beyond great!!! just put a good mmo designer with new ideas in there and it could have gone skyhigh! the team for the basics and gameplay and arts is too good.

Content is feeling flat

I would just like something built around replayability. Dungeons/Fractals are NOT this at all, even though they vastly encourage it because they are exactly the same every time you run it.

Hell, I’d be happy with your standard defense mode that you might see in other games (see Halo’s firefight or GOW’s horde). Semi-random/dynamic defence, gets harder as you go along. It doesn’t need to have rewards, there’s nothing wrong with just playing something for fun.

If WvW and my guild weren’t here, I’d probably have left this game long ago.

same for me… aside for FotM, i feel the endgame is lacking in meaningful challenging content.
-explore dungeons feels like a “know the mechanic win it” type of thing.
-world events… sad… sad… ZERG
and thats about it :/
for a game that big… the only nice endgame pve challenge is a few mini dungeons with lore not related to actual world event ?
ish… please!!!

Content is feeling flat

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

And that’s the whole point of GW2 to NOT be grindy and NOT have to work so hard to get gear to be able to ENJOY the game.

Don’t get me wrong I am not a casual player and I probably spend more time in this game than 90-95% of the players and I still say there is tons to do. But this is only the case if you like to Explore everything. By explore I don’t mean go out and get 100% world complete, that’s easy and I have done that on 4 char’s now myself already.

No I mean explore everything. Such as:

All the classes.
All the builds for each class.
All the personal stories and each and every variation to them.
All the dungeons and all paths.
All the jumping puzzles.
All Crafts – get 400 in the crafts and unlock ALL recipies in each.
All the various armours/weapon skins.
All the areas, that’s right explore them – go into every building you can, every room, listen to the npc dialogues, follow them see where they go and what they do. Explore every underwater inch of areas for hidden paths etc.

All the events.
Explore and find/Kill all the champions.
Earn all the titles/achivements.
Find all the chests for every area.
Buy a comander icon and go to random maps offering to help people who need help with sp points/etc or go and do chest gathering runs with mobs of random people etc – basically to help BUILD UP the COMMUNITY spirit.

See there’s tons to do if only you look at it from every angle and not from the jaded angle other mmo’s have you locked into doing so from. Such as – you are bored do raids, you are bored go farm/grind for 5 hours each day for xxx months to be able to get an item to ENJOY the game.

If you STILL at this point can say there is nothing for you to do then all I can say is it’s time for a break my friend. Wait for more content. I myself must spend on average here 6+ hours a day. This is because I have a lot of spare time on my hands due to medical conditions etc. I have 4 chars at 100% world complete and am working on my fith now. I still feel there’s a lot for me to do. Having said that I still take breaks to play other games when I know I need a break. I play Civ 5 and let me tell you it can be a good thing to take a break even if only for a day or two because you come back and everything seems green again.

Well that’s my book writing for the day good luck having fun out there.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

(edited by Paulytnz.7619)

Content is feeling flat

Knighthonor.4061

Progression =/= grind. Every MMO has progression of some kind, level or gear or skill. Every single one.

But since you can level multiple ways in this game, it’s not grinding, because you don’t have to do one thing. You can mix it up. You can explore, gather, craft, kill stuff, do hearts, do events, WvW and all if it gives you XP.

If you don’t enjoy any of this, why are you even playing an MMO?

In fact, people who don’t enjoy any of it are welcome to PvP at max level without doing any of it. So I’d say the grind’s in your mind.

when “Fun is designed to be the reward for Progression” it always become a grind. Which it is. To have fun, I much grind this level to do X,Y & Z. Then grind this to do the next set of fun things.

Thats grind. Rewarding fun for Progression. should be the other way around.

Crafting gives Exp and gear.
WvW give exp and gear.
Hearts give both.
Events give both.
kills in general give both.
exploring give exp.

Crafting requires mats. Mats require a grind or gem exchange. Sorry but I burnt 200$ at launch getting my main to max level with crafting. not doing that again.

Hearts are boring. very quest hub like. Why would anybody want to do another quest hub?

Events are ok at times, and boring at others. too many stupid events that are same old same old. and many of them have scaling issue for lower pop servers or when others arent around to help or willing to help.

WvW is pretty much favors the server with the population and gold to spend. underdogs get nothing out the deal. lots of bad server balance. leveling here is boring, and unfun to play as a low level due to limited play style as well as underpower stats.

Exploration is limited by level. again gated grind time sinks, for a game that doesnt even have a sub fee.

I play the game because I paid for it. No grind was one of the key promises. Was a lie.
And WvW was my main interest. But no fun on a underdog server and low level limited characters. scaling to 80 doesnt automatically unlock all trait points and skills slots on your bar with decent stats. Ever been one shotted by a thief in WvW? now imagine what a low level must go through when everything can do that.

Content is feeling flat

Posted by: marc.6380

marc.6380

And that’s the whole point of GW2 to NOT be grindy and NOT have to work so hard to get gear to be able to ENJOY the game.

Don’t get me wrong I am not a casual player and I probably spend more time in this game than 90-95% of the players and I still say there is tons to do. But this is only the case if you like to Explore everything. By explore I don’t mean go out and get 100% world complete, that’s easy and I have done that on 4 char’s now myself already.

All the classes.
All the jumping puzzles.
All the areas, that’s right explore them – go into every building you can, every room, listen to the npc dialogues, follow them see where they go and what they do. Explore every underwater inch of areas for hidden paths etc.

All the events.
Buy a comander icon and go to random maps offering to help people who need help with sp points/etc or go and do chest gathering runs with mobs of random people etc – basically to help BUILD UP the COMMUNITY spirit.

See there’s tons to do if only you look at it from every angle and not from the jaded angle other mmo’s have you locked into doing so from. Such as – you are bored do raids, you are bored go farm/grind for 5 hours each day for xxx months to be able to get an item to ENJOY the game.

If you STILL at this point can say there is nothing for you to do then all I can say is it’s time for a break my friend. Wait for more content. I myself must spend on average here 6+ hours a day. This is because I have a lot of spare time on my hands due to medical conditions etc. I have 4 chars at 100% world complete and am working on my fith now. I still feel there’s a lot for me to do. Having said that I still take breaks to play other games when I know I need a break. I play Civ 5 and let me tell you it can be a good thing to take a break even if only for a day or two because you come back and everything seems green again.

O.O ohhh… you would probably find it funny looking at a Stone.
hehe…

Sorry but i personly dont find it funny to do this

explore:

All the classes.
All the areas, that’s right explore them – go into every building you can, every room, listen to the npc dialogues

Seems more like for me the game needs more content.

(edited by marc.6380)

Content is feeling flat

Posted by: Pirlipat.2479

Pirlipat.2479

WvW give exp and gear.
Hearts give both.
Events give both.
exploring give exp.

Crafting requires mats. Mats require a grind or gem exchange. Sorry but I burnt 200$ at launch getting my main to max level with crafting. not doing that again.

Hearts are boring. very quest hub like. Why would anybody want to do another quest hub?

Exploration is limited by level. again gated grind time sinks, for a game that doesnt even have a sub fee.

For me it seems that you look to much at the “reward” for doing something and want to have it done asap and cut off the fun you can have by doing it. As for crafting. I would say the crafting process itself isn’t very interessting (besides cooking) that’s true, but gathering mats never felt like a grind for me. I just collected everything I could find along the way when I was exploring zones. Let the mats lead my way and often enough I found things I would not have enjoyed so much if there was a vista or something else which showed me the place. My main force to lead me through this world is cursiosity. What beyond that tiny hill? What in this cave? Oh look there are strawberrys on the map. I wonder what mobs will guard them.

That way leveling never felt like a grind. It happened and (happens still) often enough, that I do not even recognise that I’m half way through another level.

Content is feeling flat

Posted by: Payadopa.4706

Payadopa.4706

Maybe the OP has been playing too much. I can’t complain. I just got my first 80 recently and I’m at <40% world completion. I think there should be other things than just playing an MMO. Y’know, another single-player game, another MMO, or , dare I say it, even real life. ^^

Edit: Also, I really like Anet. They do listen to complaints and stuff like that, but if you feel the way you say you do, it’s probably best to take a break. Content doesn’t develop itself.

(edited by Payadopa.4706)

Content is feeling flat

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

All the classes.
All the jumping puzzles.

All the events.

O.O ohhh… you would probably find it funny looking at a Stone.
hehe…

Sorry but i personly dont find it funny to do this

explore:

All the classes.
All the areas, that’s right explore them – go into every building you can, every room, listen to the npc dialogues

Seems more like for that the game need more content.

I don’t find it “funny” to do any of these things either (actually with some of the npc dialogue that you can find I do sometimes :P). Like I said I find it “fun” and I am sure many others do to. But hey I am an explorer by nature, sue me for being so. If you mean I would find it “fun” to look at a stone, no. Also by nature I am a “sagitarius” if you don’t know what that means It means I can get very bored very fast with things that do not have a lot of content or many forms of ways to interest me. Heck looking at my games shelf I must have 200 ish games I could play and have done and got bored of them all. :P

Even after noting those few things that you did that I offered that you don’t find fun my list that I gave is still pretty lengthy so there should be a bit more for you to find fun. If not then again I say you have outgrown the game already and need to wait for more content. So – take a break. :P

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Content is feeling flat

Knighthonor.4061

WvW give exp and gear.
Hearts give both.
Events give both.
exploring give exp.

For me it seems that you look to much at the “reward” for doing something and want to have it done asap and cut off the fun you can have by doing it. As for crafting. I would say the crafting process itself isn’t very interessting (besides cooking) that’s true, but gathering mats never felt like a grind for me. I just collected everything I could find along the way when I was exploring zones. Let the mats lead my way and often enough I found things I would not have enjoyed so much if there was a vista or something else which showed me the place. My main force to lead me through this world is cursiosity. What beyond that tiny hill? What in this cave? Oh look there are strawberrys on the map. I wonder what mobs will guard them.

That way leveling never felt like a grind. It happened and (happens still) often enough, that I do not even recognise that I’m half way through another level.

I dont do anything for the reward of progression. Its why I dont grind legendarys on my main.
My reward is having fun. If I dont find grinding legendarys to be fun I dont do it. Because to me, Grinding is not fun.

but being a max level it more fun than being a low level. Max level has more freedom. its like playing a ETS game. You can do whatever you want, and go wherever to want without stupid restrictions like levels.

that exploration mumblejumble at the end of your post is meaningless since zones are divided by levels. go outside you level range and you die unless being escorted. yeah on the RP servers you may get people to escort you, but not on most servers.

Levels kill exploration in any MMO that has level locks like that. bad game design that should have long been gone. People hate asian grinders for pretty much the same reason just more extreme case of it. Leveling is meaningless and boring. Its not needed, and only a time sink.

If Anet removed levels right now from the game as a whole, most max level players wouldnt notice, and low levels would get more fun things to do and more features to keep them having fun from day 1. not day 60.

That whats Anet promoted with their quote of “Endgame starts at level 1” BS which was also a lie.

Content is feeling flat

Posted by: Agenteusa.6380

Agenteusa.6380

@OP

I didn’t finish everything in September.

You canĀ“t imagine though how we feel similar towards the game. Everything is way too easy and what isn’t easy is boring instead of fun.

Only real difference between me and you is I stopped playing 1 month ago and gave Rift another chance (couldn’t get back to Wow I’m afraid)

Content is feeling flat

Posted by: Pirlipat.2479

Pirlipat.2479

What I mean is that you fear reward so much you don’t even try to get into that exploring thing. Don’t look at the reward – at the result, look at the process, that was at least the way that worked perfectely for me. You got 5 huge starter zones to explore and you got loads of stuff to explore. Just your KNOWLEDGE you can’t go everywhere makes you reject everything you could do instead.

Oh and about your mumblejumble sentence: My way did at least not make me uselessly burn 200 bucks for crafting mats you can easily gather yourself. And I don’t have to complain about “bad” gamedesign.

(edited by Pirlipat.2479)

Content is feeling flat

Vayne.8563

It’s always the same. Those are love grind, and want “meaningful” end game (unquote) are saying there’s nothing to do. Those who love to experience the world and see that as its own reward say there’s plenty to do.

There was nothing for me to do in Rift or WoW. Nothing at all. I was bored, because I didn’t enjoy the world. Well, I enjoyed Rift for a short time, before I realized that the world was tiny. I mean really small. This was at launch, I understand it’s grown.

But running from quest hub to quest hub, to eventually gear up to do dungeons and then raids to me is a hamster wheel. It’s like being channeled through a pipe. The further you go, the narrower what you can do becomes…and to me that’s the real beauty of this game.

I can go anywhere and do anything. I’m not going to find low level stuff to boring that I can’t go back because if I’m not paying attention, I can die. I’m not going force to do the same three dungeons over and over again because I’ve outgeared everything else. I can jump into WvW, do a bit of SPvP, go anywhere in the world and have fun.

To me, this is superior game design. To some people, there’s nothing to do. I’m not right and they’re not right. It’s just a different perspective.

For players like me, this game has a ton of stuff to do. For players who want gear progression, not so much.

Content is feeling flat

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

I do thing ANet really needs a more cohesive plan regarding their “endgame” content.

FotM and WvW simply aren’t going to cut it.

FotM is too repetitive and WvW simply isn’t for everyone and has numerous other issues.

The only reason I’m currently still playing is because I keep obsessing about new builds that then take weeks to fine-tune and because I keep chasing the next “carrot on a stick” (Ascended Amulet in this case).

Content is feeling flat

Posted by: Narkosys.5173

Narkosys.5173

For me there is enough but I want anet to stop pushing ascend and dungeons. That is they have done for 3 full months with the monthlies and fractals and dungeons.
Maybe add a little new content but stop pushing things people dont like.

The ascend gear was to add a stickiness to their endgame and it failed badly. So I really hope they decide to go in the HP direction and work more with guild activities and a more formal setting within that dynamic. (large group)