Continue development on GW1 please

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Yoh.8469

Yoh.8469

I have a question, one which I highly suspect that I will never get an answer from Arenanet on, but I am going to ask it anyway.

Why don’t you continue to develop GW1?
I’m sure there are many people, myself included who would happily play and pay for more GW1 content over GW2 any day of the week. The only reason I am not playing it now is that Arenanet abandoned it years ago.

While I understand they wanted all hands on deck to get GW2 out the door and running well before taking away resources for GW1, but now that it is working I see no justifiable reason to leave it behind. Because honestly, I think that it’s a superior game to GW2 on everything that matters. Better multiplayer, better combat, more depth and generally more fun. It my be imperfect, but it had heart and soul.

-
I gave GW2 a chance to impress me, I gave it the benefit of the doubt, but it was nothing but a continuing source of disappointment. It will never be the game I wanted it to be, and I will never give it a single cent more. It had it’s shot, it failed me.

GW1 however I have nothing but fond memories of, and mechanically it is far closer to what I want in an MMO, and so I would be more then happy to throw money it’s way provided it continued to get new content. And I doubt I am alone in this sentiment.

So Arenanet I ask you, why don’t you have a small krew continue to develop GW1 and sell expansions like you used to? Seems like a perfectly viable revenue stream to me.

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

Because for them it would be a step backward using an old engine that a lot of the developers currently working there likely don’t have much experience with. They no doubt don’t consider the return on investment to be particularly high.

Posted by: Chase.8415

Chase.8415

The only chance Guild Wars would ever come back to development is if they sell off the game to a free to play company who would fill it with a cash shop.

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

Also you’ll never get a response on this forum from the devs on this matter. Talking about other games, even gw1, is not allowed and this thread will be closed shortly. Thank you for participating. Have a nice day.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Posted by: Yoh.8469

Yoh.8469

Also you’ll never get a response on this forum from the devs on this matter. Talking about other games, even gw1, is not allowed and this thread will be closed shortly. Thank you for participating. Have a nice day.

Heh, at this point I wouldn’t be surprised.

Posted by: Seth.1308

Seth.1308

GW1 is running on auto-pilot atm. There is no dev team.

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

This is not going to happen.
You’re asking ArenaNet to thin out its already overworked staff and to place them on a game that is in its retirement years. As much as I love the original game – It just will not happen.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

The Devs/Moderators pick and choose which threads to close on a whim. They’ve left hundreds of threads open that have continuously talked about Guild Wars and many other games, across platforms. They are never consistent in their enforcement. Ever.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Posted by: Mintyfresh.2539

Mintyfresh.2539

They won’t respond to a 34 Page trait change issue in regards to GW2, think they’ll respond to this

“Religion. It’s given people hope in a world torn apart by religion.”—Jon Stewart

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Sadly, it’s not going to happen. Development on GW1 has officially ceased, although the game will continue to run as long as there’s interest in it.

It’s a shame, really, because there’s still many unanswered questions from GW:Beyond. What happened to Evennia, for example? Who was the mysterious enemy trying to assassinate the human world leaders? And we missed our chance to see Palawa Joko begin his machinations that would ultimately lead him to conquer Elona at long last.

(edited by Zaxares.5419)

Posted by: Riaky.8965

Riaky.8965

I rather the devs polishing GW2 than GW1

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

There’s also the problem that any lore they change or add to GW1 needs to be reflected in GW2. (Yes, I know the devs are bad about that. That’s a subject for another time.)

Basically, doing more work on GW1 makes GW2 harder to work on.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Apolo.5942

Apolo.5942

I rather the devs polishing GW2 than GW1

Rather they scrap the classes and go back to the drawing board.

The term Exploit means nothing in GW2 –
Vials Maize Balm Exploit(Halloween) 2014
Locked out of JP (Wintersday) 2015

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

I think I read they have one person whose job it is to keep tabs of Guild Wars 1. You could always contact him/her to discuss this. Maybe even talk about them selling it to an interested group of people.

Of course a new company would make you rebuy the whole game in order to access your old account. People should think about the old saying, “Be careful what you ask for. You might get it”.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

I think I read they have one person whose job it is to keep tabs of Guild Wars 1. You could always contact him/her to discuss this. Maybe even talk about them selling it to an interested group of people.

Of course a new company would make you rebuy the whole game in order to access your old account. People should think about the old saying, “Be careful what you ask for. You might get it”.

No, they sell GW1, you no longer have your old account. Simple as that. It’s also a business decision. They’re not going to give personal data to some random company they decided to sell their game to. Pretty sure that’d violate some laws as well if they did.

Astral Projections.7320

No, they sell GW1, you no longer have your old account. Simple as that. It’s also a business decision. They’re not going to give personal data to some random company they decided to sell their game to. Pretty sure that’d violate some laws as well if they did.

I tried to look that up. The closest I could come was City of Heroes, where the sale fell through. There was nothing that said whether old accounts would be accessible or not. The only personal data that, off hand, I can think would be a problem would be credit card information and account login. Even so, it would seem that there could be a way for people to ok the transfer of sensitive information in order for accounts to be transferred or made accessible.

But either way, transfer of accounts or not, the new company would likely either require the game being rebought or subscription fees to pay for the purchase.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

Accounts are rarely if ever transferred because they can also be considered proprietary data. This was also the case with the game RFO who’s English version was run by the manufacturer of well-known console cheat devices. They lost license rights from the parent company, and when the parent company took over the English version, everyone who previously had an account was told “tough kitten, since it was our distribution, your accounts are staying behind” by the company who lost the licensing.

Posted by: saalle.4623

saalle.4623

You said everything when you said that GW1 have better combat rofl…Anyway the reason they wont make it is cause majority of people likes and plays more GW2 (even those that say that they dont – Gw1 is still available and they can play it anytime but still they are here?).Besides combat and multiplayer nonsense everything else you said is truth.

Posted by: KarlaGrey.5903

KarlaGrey.5903

A good argument for injecting some life into GW (update/balance/development/content-wise) would be the Hall of Monuments, as some GW2 players actually do purchase the original for the HoM points, and forcing hero-way onto them start on can leave a bad aftertaste while giving a very inaccurate impression of the game as a whole.

RIP ‘gf left me coz of ladderboard’ Total views: 71,688 Total posts: 363

(edited by KarlaGrey.5903)

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

A good argument for injecting some life into GW (update/balance/development/content-wise) would be the Hall of Monuments, as some GW2 players actually do purchase the original for the HoM points, and forcing hero-way onto them start on can leave a bad aftertaste while giving a very inaccurate impression of the game as a whole.

But to be fair the HoM rewards were originally made in order to reward people that played GW1 before GW2s release (I even seem to recall that they did state at one point that after GW2 was released you would no longer be able to get more rewards via GW1, but they seem to have scrapped that idea).

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Aguri.2896

Aguri.2896

I won’t play GW1 seriously unless I can be an asura. The only reason I got that game was to learn more about the non human races but I can’t manage to make a human I can tolerate so I haven’t played.

I’d rather see a GW3 instead of more GW1. Plus, how would they add more story and lore elements when the sequel is already out? Doesn’t that limit their options a bit?

I’m only here because sometimes I just like to watch things burn.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

^ http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Everlasting_Cerebral_Tonic

Sadly it only works in town and outposts though.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Astral Projections.7320

^ http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Everlasting_Cerebral_Tonic

Sadly it only works in town and outposts though.

This one works in explorable areas.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Everlasting_Vekk_Tonic

Posted by: Moderator.8539

Moderator.8539

Hey there,

please keep your threads focused on Guild Wars 2. Since that is not the case here this thread is now closed.

Thank you for understanding.