Convince me not to War/Mes/Gua only

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Joshua.9346

Joshua.9346

Please convince me why I should not just use the most efficient group in the game. The trinity is not dead, just back in a different form. Why should I waste my time with subpar classes in Dungeons and Fractals? The faster I do dungeons the more loot I get the less time I have to spend grinding towards the next piece of ascended gear / my legendary.

What does something like a Condition Necromancer or Flamethrower Engineer or D/D Thief bring to my party besides a lack of clear time?

Posted by: Mathias.9657

Mathias.9657

You should be able to convince yourself by asking one simple question, do you enjoy those classes? If yes, play them. If not, don’t play them.

I don’t understand all this massive QQ over the class trinity – yes it’s there, but you can choose not to use it. Just like in GW1 you could choose not to use PVX builds.

I’m completely fine on my thief and clear content with ease with my guildies.

1) I have the best blast finishers on SB)
2) I have excellent AoE
3) I have perma AoE blind
4) I can stealth the group
5) I have basically infinite dodges/evades so going full glass is not a problem for me.

Back to WoW, make GW2 fun please.

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

You’ve already made your choice. Nothing anyone else says will convince you otherwise. I play the game for fun. I don’t have time to convince anyone else to play in a way they don’t find fun.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: pdg.8462

pdg.8462

Please convince me why I should not just use the most efficient group in the game. The trinity is not dead, just back in a different form. Why should I waste my time with subpar classes in Dungeons and Fractals? The faster I do dungeons the more loot I get the less time I have to spend grinding towards the next piece of ascended gear / my legendary.

What does something like a Condition Necromancer or Flamethrower Engineer or D/D Thief bring to my party besides a lack of clear time?

You already answered your own question. Because you play for the loot, and the faster you can obtain said loot the better.

I play a thief because it’s fun, much more so than any of the other classes I’ve tried (all of them). I won’t argue with you re the merits of one class over another vis-a-vis the degree to which they contribute to speed looting or not. All that matters is that I (and others) have fun running the classes that they like to run. After all, in the end, once you have that great legendary or whatever, so what? It’s all about the journey, not the destination.

(edited by pdg.8462)

Posted by: Diviner.7405

Diviner.7405

Fastest lupi clear time recorded.
1 Thief, 1 Mesmer, 1 Warrior, and 2 Elementalist

Why the hell are you running a guardian in your group?

Thief and Elementalist have some of the top DPS in the game and add a hell of alot to the team besides that.

Posted by: clint.5681

clint.5681

Do whatever you want, stop posting flamebait.

Rangir Dangir – Ranger | Mr. Ragr- Guardian| Sneak Stab – Thief | Mr. Ragir- Warrior
[url=https://] [/url]

Posted by: MrRuin.9740

MrRuin.9740

Convince me to play the game like an elitist snob.

Posted by: goldenwing.8473

goldenwing.8473

Curious about the reason behind this thread.

There is no need to justify your playstyle as long as it does not break the ToS or interfere with anyone else’s time in game in a griefing manner.

There is no reason for anyone else to justify their playstyle either.

Glad playing the game for loot works for you.

Other players may not share your value.

I personally play for fun, challenge, and my guild. My guildmates play professions they excel with and love to play. We’d rather spend time having fun than grinding for loot. (Credit cards only take 30 secs to complete a transaction if necessary.)

That works for us.

I’m betting this thread won’t end well, so I will sign off with

-IBTL

Oh, and PS:

We’re elite. Not elitists. Just for clarity.

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

Posted by: GOSU.9574

GOSU.9574

D/D thief lacks clear time? Compared to Mesmer? LoL? Stopped reading right there.

Hey dude you are walking into a wall.

smack..Wut?…smack…smack…

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

To my knowledge, trinity means tank / healer / dps, and most content is unbeatable when tank or healer is missing.

Is there any content is unbeatable without Warrior / Mesmer / Guardian?

NONE

So what is this GW2 trinity is about? OP your issue is Min/Max, and it is 0 relationship to trinity actually.

Posted by: champ.7021

champ.7021

s/p d/d thief means fast kill times when bosses are below 25% health + blinding like crazy. Not to mention fun in wvw

thats all i can really convince you. Warrior mesmer guardian is actually really fun i dont know why people are so against them. However to min max you dont really need those classes you can use ranger / thief / engineer to min max. elementalist helps like crazy with conjure weapons and necromancers are ………

just pick a dps build

(condi necro and flamethrower engi are your examples….rly?!?!)

Posted by: sinzer.4018

sinzer.4018

Thief and Elementalist have some of the top DPS in the game and add a hell of alot to the team besides that.

Not to mention 2 eles can stack might like crazy.

Posted by: guanlongwucaii.3162

guanlongwucaii.3162

stop running trashy pug meta. the ignorance of these people who harp on 3 war 1 guard 1 mes “meta” months after better comps have been found is astounding.

Posted by: DeathMetal.8264

DeathMetal.8264

I lol h@rd (why forum censor h, a, r, d) on this one. Either you are completely clueless on what you’re talking about or you already made up your mind and nothing anyone else say can change your mind aka useless to argue with you either way. If you change the title to something different, it might make some sense.

Lv80 Thief |Mesmer |Necromancer|Ranger|Guardian|Warrior|Elementalist|Engineer
[Aeon of Wonder]
Maguuma Server

(edited by DeathMetal.8264)

Posted by: Yenn.9185

Yenn.9185

Where the hell is OP?

“Let me just post a topic and disappear.” This is clearly a flamebait.

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

My elitist senses are tingling!

I ? Karkas.

Posted by: tom.7468

tom.7468

Because its better with 4w1m , i personally leave when pugs ask “need 2 guards?”.

Posted by: Daywolf.2630

Daywolf.2630

You left out Thief. Some thieves are acceptable in such groups, historically. Good thieves anyway. I don’t know where you get the negative about them, they do get into speed runs due to direct damage DPS.

Of course your only flamebaiting about dungeons (pre-nerf), while this isn’t WoW and places like Orr opens up opportunities for other classes to do good DPS such as at temples and their waves of minions. Orr is still the only thing close to dungeons.

(edited by Daywolf.2630)

Posted by: colesy.8490

colesy.8490

The only subpar class is necro.

Literally every other class is fine, and warriors and mesmers have pretty average DPS anyway.

Sanctum of Rall (NA) – [LOD] – PvE/Dungeon Phantasm Mesmer build
Morrï (Mesmer) | Serah Mahariel (Guardian) | Morrï Mahariel (Warrior)
“colesy’s on rampage today. Slaying casuals left, right and centre” – spoj

Posted by: Charak.9761

Charak.9761

eles do more damage

Posted by: goldenwing.8473

goldenwing.8473

Wells-specd-staff-scepter-focus-protection-healing-cleanse-DPS/tank necro is one of our mainstays in 4 manning dungeons and fractals.

My guildmate gave up his guardian which was his main for over 9 months to play necro. We’re doing fine without it.

I’m sure some specs are more subpar than others.

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

It brings challenge in regards of things not being 100% predictable. It brings a player that wants to play a class the way he imagined it, having his share of joy. It will break the idea of being 100% effective is equal to having 100% fun for everyone.

Most classes can get around the same sustained dps in a group if traited for it. But most dungeons don’t need the amount of dps to kill let’s say lupi in 13 sec.

If you see the game as a speed challenge, a race, than you might have to ask yourself the question why should I do anything but x or y.
If you see the game at what it is, a game, you won’t.

(edited by Kaiyanwan.8521)

Daywolf.2630

eles do more damage

Yep, since leveling a fire ele (fire/earth) I use it a lot now especially with temples. Anything with waves and waves of minions. Lay out some nice AOE, refine some nukes, pull too much aggro. Nice for some world bosses as well, clearing waves and getting the boss really-really mad. Fills up my bags really quick.

It’s nothing about bringing myself down for a challenge, I use the classes for the right content. I have all the classes leveled. Content to me isn’t running the same dungeon path over and over, that’s called work or burnout or rage quit heh.

(edited by Daywolf.2630)

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Don’t do it !

(did it work ?)

Posted by: Alienmuppet.1942

Alienmuppet.1942

I play ele (d/d) because I find it the most fun by far. Sure they’ve nerfed the hell out of it, but I’ve learned to dodge like crazy and enjoy finding ways to get round the problems (carefully considered traits, armor, runes, utility, etc). I have no problems in dungeons and do okay in WvW; I can take camps pretty easily by myself, and win or draw most 1v1 fights.

If you want to just click click and barely move or dodge, then you may have to choose one of the.. dare I say it.. easier classes.

It is nobody’s job to convince you; play the class you enjoy. You are capable of making your own decisions aren’t you? Don’t get in the habit of searching the web for every decision you have to make.

(edited by Alienmuppet.1942)

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

If you want to just click click and barely move or dodge, then you may have to choose one of the.. dare I say it.. easier classes.

Hey, I am there with you on the topic, but I wouldn’t call Mesmer one of the easier professions, at least not compared to a warrior, a ranger or a guardian (and a glass cannon guardian can be a fair challenge),

Posted by: kiwituatara.6053

kiwituatara.6053

I always thought medium armored folks get a lot of hate in dungeons.

Daywolf.2630

Hate?!? Oh you mean ranger hehehe
You don’t need a dungeon to hate on the ranger

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

Because you cannot always rely on your group to play the strategy that optimizes your personal dps. In my dungeon runs, more often than not my team actually benefits from my heals and other support because they’re not that good at perfectly excecuting every exploit they can find.

And on a sidenote, just because those professions are the most popular doesn’t mean they’re the best.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

Posted by: Advent Leader.1083

Advent Leader.1083

Correct me if I’m wrong, but guard/war/mes meta builds became meta because quickness was a full x2 compression on attack rates, as well as guard/mes providing enough reflect time for the warriors to safely nuke targets down, and mes using signet of inspiration to literally double boon output to other classes. The combination of that setup made it better, and with most of the party being heavies, lets players safely dodge one more time even on low health.

With the nerfs to warrior DPS rates and quickness, the setup while good isn’t really that much effective overall.

Posted by: Scizzor.8137

Scizzor.8137

staff eles with the right build can do more dmg than warriors. That’s right, a ranged weapon that does more than a melee weapon.

Thieves are actually pretty amazing. Spammable blind fields and blast finishers, as well as stealth for speed running thru… Greap Dps as well.

2 underrated classes that are good.

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

Do what you want, just allow me to do the same. We don’t need a forum post to show that we shouldn’t group together.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Play with whatever the heck classes you want to play with. Why does anyone need to convince you of anything. No one cares about your preferences.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Direksone.3867

Direksone.3867

If you need to ask these questions then I’m not sure any answer will sway you away from them. It is obvious you find finishing stuff fast and efficient fun, that’s fine, but then there’s not much more you can do.

I play Engineer because of the versatility, it is very, very fun, but nowhere near as efficient as other classes, but then again I personally don’t give a rats kitten .

Blood And Metal is a guild on Gunnars Hold that is all about metal, punk,hard rock etc.. Join us!

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

If you need to ask these questions then I’m not sure any answer will sway you away from them. It is obvious you find finishing stuff fast and efficient fun, that’s fine, but then there’s not much more you can do.

I play Engineer because of the versatility, it is very, very fun, but nowhere near as efficient as other classes, but then again I personally don’t give a rats kitten .

Well put. Efficient does not always equal fun.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Posted by: Yaki.9563

Yaki.9563

So you cherry pick 1% of the content to make it seem like alternate group comps are good. Who even does Lupi? Arah is irrelevant content to everyone except the kitteners.

Posted by: Przemek.6835

Przemek.6835

You should be able to convince yourself by asking one simple question, do you enjoy those classes? If yes, play them. If not, don’t play them.

I don’t understand all this massive QQ over the class trinity – yes it’s there, but you can choose not to use it. Just like in GW1 you could choose not to use PVX builds.

I’m completely fine on my thief and clear content with ease with my guildies.

1) I have the best blast finishers on SB)
2) I have excellent AoE
3) I have perma AoE blind
4) I can stealth the group
5) I have basically infinite dodges/evades so going full glass is not a problem for me.

What you said is basically “YES, some classes are way more powerful than others, but it is not a problem, just don’t play them if u don’t like it”.

Honestly…. are you stupid?

Also pardon me but no dungeon in this game requires any specific team composition. Maybe except fractals. Your blinds/stealths or any other excuse is useless when we can just walk past the trash mobs and zerg the boss in seconds.

Posted by: Elric.6971

Elric.6971

Because engineers, thieves, and necros are awesome.

Engineers drop turrets, bombs, and grenades like they’re hot, have a FLAMETHROWER and a CHEMICAL thrower, what’s not to love?

Thieves are the gods kittenin’s creed and will “nothing is true” and with enough skill can keep one jump ahead of the hit-man and one swing ahead of the sword.

And necros? You think they’re for dark, edgy, 2spooky4me teenagers who listen to LinkinPark and Green Day all the time? THINK A – MOTHERCLUNKIN’ – GAIN! Necros have incredibly condition damage, swarms of enemies and are a real strategy player. With lich form they have two alt-forms so you can play the game like TRANSFORMER! and rip through mobs!

Rangers? Eles? Eh, they’re okay too. I guess.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I’m not going to “convince” you to play any specific way, and honestly I shouldn’t have to.

If ‘efficiency’ is your play style, and that’s how you enjoy playing, then so be it. Conversely, if you’re bored with playing that way, then it should be your choice to try something else. We could then offer you suggestions, but you and only you can decide what your play style is and how you enjoy playing.

Personally, I enjoy playing ele and I don’t enjoy zerker gear. One shotting things when I’m hanging out with low level guildies in Caledon or Plains just isn’t enjoyable..for me, or them. Similarly, face rolling through content so fast that it doesn’t even have time to really retaliate isn’t any fun either. If I wanted that type of experience, I’d go play Bloody Roar or Soulcalibur, where I can simply chain them down without even having a chance to fight back. So, efficiency playing isn’t ‘fun’ for me, thus I choose to play ‘outside the box.’

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: kiwituatara.6053

kiwituatara.6053

Hate?!? Oh you mean ranger hehehe
You don’t need a dungeon to hate on the ranger

Well, I used to love and main ranger (two lvl 80 rangers in fact). Now I play shout heal warrior for dungeon pugs.

Whenever I see rangers in my dungeon party. I just grit my teeth and power through~ (shout.shout.shout.rez. rez. rez. banner rez. repeat). I havent failed pug dungeons yet, but it usually goes a lot smoother without rangers.

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

Well if you do wvw you can replace mes with thief.

Posted by: Saelune.5316

Saelune.5316

2 reasons…4th and 5th character slots, thats why. I reccomend buying 3 more slots and playing one character of each class. Variety isnt a bad thing. So what if some arent “the best”? Thats not the point of a game for fun.

Posted by: Draconicus.7564

Draconicus.7564

Ok, this is easy, seriously, just using common sense it’s enough:

- GW2 is a game, not The “Olympic Games”!
- In a Game you use it to have fun,and pass some good quality time! Not to be “The top of the tops only”, or be under stress all the time!

This, obviously makes all the possible chars a good option!!

Cyas, and please learn to have some more fun in a Video game, other then : “I’m the King of the World” philosophy:)

Thx.

Posted by: Daendur.2357

Daendur.2357

Warriors and guardians are very strong and easy to use.
They simply are better.
Of course you can play the profession you prefer, but those 2 are better than others.

Black Thunders [BT] – Gandara

Posted by: moiraine.2753

moiraine.2753

If you want a high dmg dealer go for Thief or Ele they both are better from the warrior.
Here is why – GuanglaiKangui explains it perfectly

Remember when I told everyone to get over HB’s one big number, and everyone told me to stop making straw man arguments?

Well, the straw man is right here and he’s posting right now.

I finally got around to modeling thief, which gives me a full DPS tier list, and it looks like this:

Max buffed, from best to worst:

Mesmer (Sw/Sw with 3 phantasms) = ~15k
Thief (D/D backstab) = ~13.5k
Elementalist (fire staff or LH) = ~13k
Guardian (GS+Sword) = ~11k
Necromancer (D/F+WH with all minions) = ~11k
Warrior (Axe+GS) = ~10k
Ranger (Sword and Feline pet) = ~9.5k
Engineer (Grenades) = ~9k

Off the top of my head, anyway. As you can see, ,the difference between the top three and the rest is fairly severe (Ele sits at 13k, while Guardian and Necro are around 11k) but the rest are pretty close together. You can also tell that the top three have “special conditions” on achieving max DPS, as does Necromancer, so Guardian is actually the highest unconditional DPS you will get.

Also the Speed clears never are from 4 warriors here is why – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWQ-39_C8LI

TxS – Tequatl Slayer Alliance (EU)

(edited by moiraine.2753)

Posted by: STRanger.5120

STRanger.5120

Actually, this is only because of those 2 Elementalists in there, and our FGS glitch. A group without 2 Eles wouldn’t be able to do such kill.

#ELEtism 4ever

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

Actually, this is only because of those 2 Elementalists in there, and our FGS glitch. A group without 2 Eles wouldn’t be able to do such kill.

It still wouldn’t be just warriors+guardian and mesmer.

Posted by: STRanger.5120

STRanger.5120

I haven’t said it would Just that without the FGS glitch, such kill is not possible, therefore it cannot be done without two Eles in the group.

#ELEtism 4ever

Posted by: Hawkian.6580

Hawkian.6580

The question is silly on the face of it because you should simply do what you want to do and no one can convince you of what it is you want to do.

Posted by: Karalaza.6021

Karalaza.6021

I haven’t said it would Just that without the FGS glitch, such kill is not possible, therefore it cannot be done without two Eles in the group.

So eles need to glitch to be efficient?
Sounds like the class needs some fixing