Convince me to play again...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

Wow, I think this thread is going to generate some mixed reactions from people that are willing to throw their 2 cents into the pot and try to convince me to log in tonight and play, and from the people that will say “If you need convincing, dont play, there is no sub”.

My basis for playing Guild Wars 2 was as follows:
-No stat gear grind
-No need to rush to max level
-Aesthetic gear grind
-All content stays relevant(low level areas, mid level areas, dungeons, etc)
-Level every class to 80, pick two or three to grind out armor sets and legendaries.
-Grind out legendaries as ultimate “end game”. This includes all the pre-reqs of map completions, materals gathering, skill point farming, kharma farming, etc.

As you can see, I am a PVE player at heart and this is what I wanted to do. I was working on my fourth lvl 80, and had plans of leveling the engineer and elementalist over winter break from work. While leveling, while running around Orr or running dungeons, I never cared that my gear might not have been fantastic, or even stat-wise optimal for my build. I completed the TA exotic set and began working on CoF.

Then everything changed.

Since the Nov. 15 patch, for reasons I cannot explain, or even understand myself, I only felt the need to run FoTM. I could not and can not keep up with everyone in fractal levels. Eventually, it took 20-30 minutes to find a group, whereas other dungeons I used to be able to find a group in a few minutes. I love FoTM dungeon, but I do not want to feel the need to ONLY run this and nothing else.

You can see from the above where my ambitions were. And by a stroke of magic, something clicked in my head that I must follow the herd and grind FoTM until I drop. I was/am trying to shake this mentality, but when I see half as many dungeon groups forming for other dungeons, and see some zones becoming more empty, it only re-enforces this behavior. I could look for other dungeon groups, and continue leveling alts. But I also fear that I may be running around empy zones, in which it will become depressing because the game as I knew it would have changed. I feel that I should only be running FoTM, because that dungeon and that gear is all that is relevant. The dungeon is great, but I have neglected the rest of the game and I am trying to shake this. Its a "I dont want to miss out on FoTM and eventually watch the “FoTM level train” pass me by." If I continued on the path I was going, and came back to FoTM after I grinded my dungeon sets, and possibly even a legendary, my only fear is that I will have noone to run the low level fractals with because I DO want to run FoTM and I definately enjoy the dungeon.

Convince me and “teach me” to play the game that we all once played.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

(edited by cesmode.4257)

Posted by: Xaaz.8472

Xaaz.8472

Nobody is going to convince you and nobody should even bother. If you like the game, play it. If not, good luck where you end up. These posts are as bad as the I quit because XXX posts.

Posted by: Sykotik.3480

Sykotik.3480

Looks to the left
Looks to the right
Looks behind me

Nope, I don’t see anyone that cares if you play again. One less entitlement-happy person that doesn’t want to play because he didn’t get everything he wanted.

Good bye

Posted by: Avatar.1923

FotM is the way to go for the elitist types.
its like their treadmill, and THEY HAVE to be BETTER than the other players.
forget their souls for they are lost.

focus on your game and have fun as you used to.
soon, anet will spread the population a bit more and you will be able to complete your story mode dungeons…

Posted by: Ditton.3149

Ditton.3149

give me your stuff, find another game, I will do my best to have the fun that you missed

Posted by: Sion.1653

Sion.1653

Someone wants attention.

Posted by: MechanicalMind.9126

MechanicalMind.9126

You know, funny thing. I think devs should avoid doing any content patches or ideas on november. Always seems to bring bad things. SWG anyone? :p

Sorry had to… lolz.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
- Mike Obrien, President of Anet

Posted by: plasmacutter.2709

plasmacutter.2709

please read the AMA responses from the Anet Team.

They address all of this, and say the way FotM was done as well as ascended gear was a mistake, there will be no further tiers, and future content will not be structured in the way FOTM is.

stop with the duplicate threads already.

Posted by: Treeline.3865

Treeline.3865

Nobody should convince you, true, but not bothering.. Well not all of us are that ignorant.

Anyways, while your conclusions sound right to me, here’s the key points you are looking for:

Ascended gear will be available in more ways that should be less grindy soon – What these ways are, I don’t know, but it includes WvW. So if you can resist the urge to grind, there might be a solution soon.

They are also currently working on the empty maps, so that content will be more relevant again, and they did acknowledge that it was a mistake to place fractals in LA because this reduced traffic to the rest of the world.

I am with you on your points though. Why do I still play? Well, I still enjoy the game. I don’t like all their decisions, but so far the great game they released still shines over the bad stuff that was added.

Leader of Heroes [Hero] – Seafarers Rest

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I’d love to suggest something constructive but it sounds like this issue is purely in your head and I don’t think anyone else can help with that.

Before the update I played the same way as you, except that I’ve been levelling 4 characters together and regularly creating alts so I haven’t even gotten to level 80 yet.

Since the update I’ve been doing the exact same thing. I haven’t even tried Fractals yet. I’ve thought about having a look, but decided to leave it for later. It’s changed absolutely nothing for me and I can’t see why it should be any different for you.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Treeline.3865

FotM is the way to go for the elitist types.

Elitists isn’t the same as grinders. If you ask a lot of “elitists” I think you’d find they rather want challenging gameplay.

cesmode.4257

Looks to the left
Looks to the right
Looks behind me

Nope, I don’t see anyone that cares if you play again. One less entitlement-happy person that doesn’t want to play because he didn’t get everything he wanted.

Good bye

Guess you only read the title. Because if you read the post, youll see that nowhere in the post do I mention that I am upset with a grind. I don’t mind grinding for gear, and Ive made my peace with Ascended gear. You either didnt read the post, or have comprehension issues.

Posted by: Debsylvania.7396

Debsylvania.7396

The “new” will wear off and the traffic to FOTM will lighten with time. In the meantime, do what you like and quit paying so much attention to what other people are doing.

Deb ~The Chewbacca Defense [TCD];
Waiting For Death [WFD]
@ Borlis Pass Server

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

Just go play any other MMORPG and you’ll come running back, arms outstretched, begging for forgiveness like a bad boyfriend that dissed his best girl.

cesmode.4257

Just go play any other MMORPG and you’ll come running back, arms outstretched, begging for forgiveness like a bad boyfriend that dissed his best girl.

I already have/am. Problem is, I am actually enjoying it too haha. I think, fundamentally, GW2 is far superior game and the best MMO on the market.

As stated in the original post, I can/would love to continue playing the game as I was, very casually. And then get to FoTM a few months down the road. I just hope there are players still running low level fractals at that time, because I can definately see FoTM being a good endgame. I just want to be able to experience it on my own time when I am ready.

Posted by: plasmacutter.2709

plasmacutter.2709

I already have/am. Problem is, I am actually enjoying it too haha. I think, fundamentally, GW2 is far superior game and the best MMO on the market.

As stated in the original post, I can/would love to continue playing the game as I was, very casually. And then get to FoTM a few months down the road. I just hope there are players still running low level fractals at that time, because I can definately see FoTM being a good endgame. I just want to be able to experience it on my own time when I am ready.

My guess is if you take your time leveling an alt, by the time it reaches 80 fractals will be in history tomes.

Treeline.3865

I just hope there are players still running low level fractals at that time

www.gw2lfg.com mate Works wonders.

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

Sure, there will always be new players and players leveling alts.
Anet said yesterday they are looking at a better way for people to group for Fractalmania, with maybe broader level windows. I wouldn’t worry about it too much.

Posted by: Banquetto.9521

Banquetto.9521

Stick to your plan of levelling alts, and then park them when they hit 80.

I’ve hardly played my main at all since they switched on the endgame treadmill, but I’m having a fantastic time playing a Charr engineer alt. Nothing has changed for levelling characters, it’s still as fun as ever.

cesmode.4257

Stick to your plan of levelling alts, and then park them when they hit 80.

I’ve hardly played my main at all since they switched on the endgame treadmill, but I’m having a fantastic time playing a Charr engineer alt. Nothing has changed for levelling characters, it’s still as fun as ever.

Good to gear. Are you finding that there are enough players from zone to zone? And have you tried running some of the “older” dungeons? What server?

Posted by: Alastar.2863

Alastar.2863

If you don’t want to go through FotM then don’t. you don’t need that Ascended gear unless you want to go past a certain point in that dungeon. otherwise it has NO effect on ANYTHING else.

in WvW it is not noticeable what gear you have.
it does not exist in other pvp.

I go through other dungeons and I just ask “Anybody want to run through this dungeon?” and people were HAPPY to assist. I think when you say “LFG CM exp lvl 1” it turns people off.

Nothing changed but the people. but I still see plenty in every zone I have been to. (level 62 right now and I have 27/8% completion of the map and things are pretty active.)

Just get back in and do what you want, not what you feel you HAVE to do.

cesmode.4257

I am leaning toward it.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

As others have said- do what you enjoy.
I was put off by the Nov patch too and the fact that Orr is a dead zone now- no pun intended.

Then I decided to finally level my alts and I am having a blast playing all three. All in different maps.
There are players around and nothing has changed that much at all- except that I think people are even nicer than before.

I just avoid LA like the plague and I look into Orr every now and then to see If I can get Balthazar going or not.
The rest of the time is spent happily adventuring
Gunnar’s Hold btw in case you are wondering.

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Norelation.3067

Norelation.3067

If it makes you feel better, and you would like to be truly convinced, it was never arena nets intention to release ascended gear exclusive to one dungeon. It has also been confirmed in the Chris Whitside AMA that it sure as hell won’t stay this way.

Posted by: Flyfunner.2093

Flyfunner.2093

No one cares because you already paid $60.

Posted by: xtorma.1283

xtorma.1283

If it makes you feel better, and you would like to be truly convinced, it was never arena nets intention to release ascended gear exclusive to one dungeon. It has also been confirmed in the Chris Whitside AMA that it sure as hell won’t stay this way.

Who’s intention was it?

Baron Irongut – Warrior-

Posted by: Kain.9127

Kain.9127

No.

Posted by: Norelation.3067

Norelation.3067

They wanted to release it globally, as to who’s decision it was to stick it in that one dungeon I have no idea. I reckon they just got lazy and decided they could distribute it later without anyone going nut crazy.

Posted by: Kerithlan.1659

Kerithlan.1659

You should continue to play so that I can continue to take advantage of you via the inflated market prices. Convinced yet?

Fosthe — Sylvari Elementalist
Men of Science [MoS] – Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Horrorscope.7632

Horrorscope.7632

I get the OP.

I mentioned this elsewhere and I don’t hate GW2, just putting this out there, because it’s a way to nicely package this all up.

3 months ago, if I were to tell you that GW2 would soon have additional level 80 progressive gear to grind for. That it would be locked in once place and nearly all level 80’s running PvE content would be running that instanced dungeon to obtain that gear over and over and over, while the open world becomes barren…. You would have called me King Troll and impossible. So who made who? Because I’m certain I wouldn’t have been believed.

Posted by: LOCO.1785

LOCO.1785

I don’t think you should play again.

Can I have your stuff?

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

I’m thinking anyone who can write that long of a top post, and create a thread on a game’s forum…

That right there should tell you, you’re bordering on obsession.

Why be obsessed with a game if you’re not gonna play it?

Posted by: toafarmer.8401

toafarmer.8401

You have already paid for it, so NCsoft doesnt really care if you will or will not play. Neither do the fanboys.

Posted by: endless.1376

endless.1376

But…there is no monthly fee. Why do so many people insist on treating this like its a sub based game.

Come back and do whatever you want in the game. As long as you have fun doing it who the heck cares! Jeesh people get a grip.

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Take a month or so off do something else and monitor the game feeds if nothing changes drop this game if Anet actually listen to both sides of the community it should get better.

At this time though i’d stay away from FoTM as i am, From a fellow PvErs perspective the dungeon is nothing but grief, grind and something that has helped divide the community even more.

Just wait and see.

Posted by: Shilian.5873

Shilian.5873

yeah since the patch i have started playing other games, as for example today i played dcuo in the morning, then after launch, and a weekly break from gw2, I decided to go for a LFG fractal lvl 7, got several issue with player being kicked from the instance, semi rage quit and right now I am installing l2 for the sake of old memories

Most likely tomorrow i will log to GW2 and lvl up a thief alt or do some pvp.

no one is forcing you to play this game every single hours of your spare time. If you get frustrated stop for a while, it helps.

Posted by: Gele.2048

Gele.2048

go play comsetic games on facebook OR BARBY !!!! good luck there this is for beter players

Posted by: Asglarek.8976

Asglarek.8976

What this game needs is a hardcoded lock out timer on FotM say 5-7 days. That would serve 2 purposes, repopulate the world and gate gear progression. Think I’ll start proposing this in suggestions forum.

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

Its a "I dont want to miss out on FoTM and eventually watch the “FoTM level train” pass me by." If I continued on the path I was going, and came back to FoTM after I grinded my dungeon sets, and possibly even a legendary, my only fear is that I will have noone to run the low level fractals with because I DO want to run FoTM and I definately enjoy the dungeon.

Convince me and “teach me” to play the game that we all once played.

Don’t do fractals for the fear of running behind. If anything unlock tier three. (20+) If you havent already. Soon there will be changes to this, like Chris said to you.

Ask yourself if it’s worth playing to play with people who force you to play their level.

Until then I would say, take a break from FotM. Since that’s what I did and soon I went in LA and thought: “Wow I haven’t done anything past level 2, I am behind. Okay! I can play everything else still, no big deal.” Or simply play fractals upto a certain point, and play it occasionally. Like you would a dungeon.

What I did was join lvl 1 groups over and over, coz i enjoy the dungeon. If you stop caring what level fractal you do you start doing it as you would do a normal dungeon, then you probably have more fun. You can counter your own mindset this way as youre helping out people with lower levels, which is actually your own fear of something that won’t happen, but you’re doing it yourself.

It’s basically part of the saying “A better world starts with yourself.” :p

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

Posted by: Rynarx.6124

Rynarx.6124

The thing is many people have already gone to other MMOs. I was in another MMO a couple days ago and when the someone suddenly asked about GW2 over the zone chat and suddenly the zone chat became lively with the discussion about GW2 from many ex-GW2 players and at the end of it, I think anyone who heard the discussion will think that game was much much better than GW2.

Arenanet needs to step up and release their alternate means to get ascendant gear soon as the december holidays season is coming. There would usually be many new gamers coming to the MMOs and if GW2 hopes to get a share of these new customers, it needs to correct it’s mistakes that they made from the Nov15 patch.

Posted by: Horrorscope.7632

Horrorscope.7632

But…there is no monthly fee. Why do so many people insist on treating this like its a sub based game.

Come back and do whatever you want in the game. As long as you have fun doing it who the heck cares! Jeesh people get a grip.

I do it all the time with DDO with a sub. What does subs have to do with it? Some make it sound hard to re-sub for a game.

Posted by: Ashlar.2519

Ashlar.2519

Your fun is a matter of your own choosing. Nobody here should be trying to convince you to stay or to leave. The decision is yours, and yours alone. If you are not having fun doing what you are doing, then it is up to you to change that – either change what you are doing in game or change games.

Posted by: critickitten.1498

critickitten.1498

No.

Why do I need to explain to you why you should play? If you’re not having fun, then please go play something else. Don’t become another one of these half-dozen-or-so people who said they “quit” the game “forever”, but then stick around trolling on the forums and demanding people’s attention. It’s childish.

I don’t mean to sound cruel, but seriously. This thread sounds like you’re demanding attention, and I have no nice response to that sort of thing. If you don’t want to play, that’s cool, go do something else and leave the forums to those of us who do still play.

Remember when our developers talked about “strengthening the core game”?
How’d that work out for us so far?
Now let’s try some ideas that will really work.