Cooldowns Review

Cooldowns Review

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

Is there any hope for another review of;

• Runes and Sigils, and
  • Useless unused abilities/weapons?

I get the impression that most of these are unused due to their Cooldowns (specifically, lots are too long). A massive amount of variety could be introduced to the game with just a few numerical adjustments.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

Cooldowns Review

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

You might have to explain what abilities/weapons you think are unused or what numerical adjustments you’d like to see.

Cooldowns Review

Svarty.8019

You might have to explain what abilities/weapons you think are unused or what numerical adjustments you’d like to see.

That’s fair enough. I will give some examples.

1. On-hit Sigils – with a big internal cooldown, it seems pointless having on-hit instead of on-crit (unless your crit chance is super low).
  2. Strength (lowest cooldown on the on-crit sigils) is meta in many builds atm. I think it’s largely to do with the icd.
    https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Sigil#Chance_on_critical_hit
Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

Cooldowns Review

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

1. On-hit Sigils – with a big internal cooldown, it seems pointless having on-hit instead of on-crit (unless your crit chance is super low).
  2. Strength (lowest cooldown on the on-crit sigils) is meta in many builds atm. I think it’s largely to do with the icd.

Sigil of Strength is used because its better than the others. Its the only sigil in that category that will affect all of your attacks for the next 10 seconds. The other sigils either have a single attack, give the other player a condition, or give you a less useful boon than Might. This is the only sigil that will affect all of your attacks, that is why its used, not because of the ICD.

Cooldowns Review

Svarty.8019

Sigil of Strength is used because its better than the others. Its the only sigil in that category that will affect all of your attacks for the next 10 seconds. The other sigils either have a single attack, give the other player a condition, or give you a less useful boon than Might. This is the only sigil that will affect all of your attacks, that is why its used, not because of the ICD.

If the ICD were 5s it would not be used.

Here’s another one: Rune of the Lich. Look at that cooldown: 60s for a jagged horror.

The game is full of this nonsense, and imo could really do with a review to both refresh and vary things a bit.

Cooldowns Review

Posted by: Orangensaft.7139

Orangensaft.7139

i definitly agree on this

There are many runes that could be fun / interesting to try out and to mess around with outside of the usual meta runes/sigils but too many really do have nonsense overly long cooldowns

Anet should reconsider the cd of every Rune and Sigil if they can
That would be awesome

We Glitched Out Of All [MAPS]
26x lvl 80 Characters
Most fabulous Character: http://i.imgur.com/5JtcBI1.jpg?1

Cooldowns Review

Posted by: Redfeather.6401

Redfeather.6401

It would be nice if stuff got looked at to make everything equally attractive.
Lots of sigils and runes and skills in the game, yet the feeling of so few viable choices.

Cooldowns Review

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

Some could be adjusted in affect and/or icd. Perhaps also adding similar new sigils but weaker with lower cd even. Variety is always good.

Some things like utility skills have high cd but provide strong effects. If you remove the strong effect you might just make the cd irrelevant because no one will take it for that new reason.

Cooldowns Review

Posted by: Sarie.1630

Sarie.1630

It would be nice if stuff got looked at to make everything equally attractive.

Unfortunately I can’t ever see this being a thing. No matter how many times things are balanced or tweaked the community will always look for the most efficient route. The runes, sigils and builds might change, but I can’t ever see a day when all runes and sigils will be considered equal.

If nothing else, a rune set based around might will always be inherently more desirable for PvE than a set based around, say, chill.

It’s sad in a way. Sometimes you just have to make a new alt and gear it in a really kooky way for a bit of fun and flavour and screw anyone who tells you otherwise!

Cooldowns Review

Posted by: Esquilax.3491

Esquilax.3491

Conjured weapons from the Elementalist need a review.

Lightning Hammer and Flame Axe in particular seem to have no viable use in the game. The Frostbow, and Earthshield have very niche uses, but could use a review aswell. Fiery Greatsword is only used as a movement enhancement, and while I do find it enjoyable and effective for that purpose, it seems kind of strange that such a powerfully themed weapon doesn’t have better offensive power than just playing normally with Overloads, Lightning Whip and/or Lava Font.

Scepter, despite the recent buffs is still lacking. If the air 2 Lightning Strike had a small AoE around your target I think it might be fixed. The main sufferage of the weapon set at least in PvE is the lack of cleave in air attunement because that is the element you will be camping as Scepter builds are generally Fresh Air based.

Cooldowns Review

Svarty.8019

Here is another one.
Rune of the Daredevil.

Why is it meta? See the first and only question about it on the wiki:
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Talk:Superior_Rune_of_the_Daredevil

Is there an ICD on the (6) bonus?

Cooldowns Review

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

Here is another one.
Rune of the Daredevil.

That one is meta because it is overpowered. It needs an ICD on that.

As to your other post, no changing the ICD of sigil of strength ot 5 seconds will not make it fall out of meta as it remains the only Sigil in that category that affects all of your attacks for 10 seconds. If you want to make it non meta then you should reduce the duration of the might stack it provides to 5 seconds and possibly increase the ICD to 2 or 3 seconds.

Yes the cooldowns and durations do need to be looked at by ANet. But the short ICD of sigil of strength is not the reason it is meta

Cooldowns Review

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Here is another one.
Rune of the Daredevil.

That one is meta because it is overpowered. It needs an ICD on that.

A more likely change would be requiring a successful evade to proc like a bunch of traits.

Cooldowns Review

Khisanth.2948

Most of the on crit sigils are fine …

Rage is the only one with a ridiculous ICD.

Generosity, Incapacitation, and Nullification simply do not provide very useful effects for PvE. If I needed those effects I want something reliable. They are also not general enough in that only a few situations would require them and sigil swapping is an extremely impractical thing to do.

Cooldowns Review

Posted by: DGraves.3720

DGraves.3720

I actually agree that the ICD situation and the shared ICD situation are really bad. It is absolutely true that Sigil of Strength is used specifically because of it’s ICD. It would be terrible if even it was at 2 or 3 seconds.

Cooldowns Review

Posted by: onevstheworld.2419

onevstheworld.2419

The element of randomness with procs also effect the sigil’s usefulness… might is always useful, whereas any sigil that causes condi clear, heals are more situational and thus useless because the procs are random.

Cooldowns Review

Svarty.8019

Does nobody at Arenanet think 90s cooldowns are ridiculous, particularly for such weak effects.
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Rune_of_Svanir

Cooldowns Review

Posted by: Loli Ruri.8307

Loli Ruri.8307

I also agree, the timings on some of these skills are just outrageous and make the skill worthless and gimmicky.

Intel Core i7 4790K @4.7 GHz, 32 GB 2133 MHz DDR3.
MSI GTX 1080 Sea Hawk EK X 2xSLI 2025 / 11016 MHz, liquid cooling custom loop.
Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB. HTC Vive.

Cooldowns Review

Svarty.8019

Here are two more examples:
Sigil of Force: 5% damage increase, NO COOLDOWN === Meta

Sigil of Purity: 60% chance to remove 1 condition (10 SECOND COOLDOWN) === Not Meta

Cooldowns Review

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Sigil of Purity: 60% chance to remove 1 condition (10 SECOND COOLDOWN) === Not Meta

The chance at the condition removal is also why it’s not meta.

5% damage increase will always be welcome. The removal of condition could proc 0.5 seconds before you get a condition. And the unknown on whether you’d hit that 60% chance to remove the condition before the condition was removed would make it less useful than a 5% damage increase.

Cooldowns Review

Khisanth.2948

The chance at the condition removal is also why it’s not meta.

5% damage increase will always be welcome. The removal of condition could proc 0.5 seconds before you get a condition. And the unknown on whether you’d hit that 60% chance to remove the condition before the condition was removed would make it less useful than a 5% damage increase.

It only procs if you have a condition on you.

Cooldowns Review

Svarty.8019

Let’s even go a little off-track. Even food has long cooldowns.
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Omnomberry_Pie

The two second ICD sounds cool, but factor in that the heal is very poor. It’s going to put people off using this.

Cooldowns Review

Svarty.8019

Here is another example:
Rune of Svanir
+20% Chilled 40px.png Chilled duration; when you’re struck below 20% health gain 5 seconds of Frost Aura. (Cooldown: 90s)

Ninety seconds. Ninety. Seconds.
><