Cost comparison of precursors

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Felahr.9830

Felahr.9830

Is there a resource or guide anywhere on this, what the actual cost is to do the precursor journey vs buying it on the TP? I have checked the wiki for a few but the guides are incomplete and many ingredients have no information so I cant factor in those costs.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

You can try gw2bltc. There are also some others that work too. Generally, anything that uses wood (e.g. Colossus) are not worth crafting as their cost will be at or above the cost to purchase directly from the TP. It’s also better to purchase the mats and craft the time-gated materials rather than buy them on the TP.

Posted by: Minos.5168

Minos.5168

You can try gw2bltc. There are also some others that work too. Generally, anything that uses wood (e.g. Colossus) are not worth crafting as their cost will be at or above the cost to purchase directly from the TP. It’s also better to purchase the mats and craft the time-gated materials rather than buy them on the TP.

Keep in mind that the sites’ “crafting” costs are only valid if all recipes have been programmed in.

Some of the precursors reported vastly lower crafting costs than reality.

Most precursors are cheaper to buy from the TP.

Also, the Legendary Inscription (used for all land precursors) is ~80g to craft (assuming you craft the Elonian Leather yourself).

So any precursor under 500g is probably better to just buy from the TP. (Considering step 2 always seems to use a lot of ore and wood.)

I think the sword was one of the few that was more expensive on the TP than to craft.

Ayrilana.1396

Keep in mind that the sites’ “crafting” costs are only valid if all recipes have been programmed in.

Some of the precursors reported vastly lower crafting costs than reality.

Most precursors are cheaper to buy from the TP.

Also, the Legendary Inscription (used for all land precursors) is ~80g to craft (assuming you craft the Elonian Leather yourself).

So any precursor under 500g is probably better to just buy from the TP. (Considering step 2 always seems to use a lot of ore and wood.)

I think the sword was one of the few that was more expensive on the TP than to craft.

I went through several weeks ago and found it to be split roughly 50/50. The common trend with those that cost more to craft were the ones that used wood.

Which ones have lower crafting costs than reality? How are those ones wrong?

Posted by: Axialbloom.8109

Axialbloom.8109

The precursor for The Predator costs a zillion times more to craft. No idea what Anet were thinking.

Ayrilana.1396

The precursor for The Predator costs a zillion times more to craft. No idea what Anet were thinking.

That’s because they didn’t based crafting costs on demand for precursors. Since only two classes can equipment it, with it not part of either’s meta builds, the precursor is cheaper than others on the TP. Anet based crafting costs into buckets with the rifle being lumped with other two handed weapons. This results in it being more expensive to craft. If they were to add more elite specializations that used rifle, the cost on the TP would rise and crafting may or may not become a better option.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

If your concern is strictly about crafting costs or time, build your legendary the old way: buy the precursor on the TP. You’ll save yourself a lot of time and the exact costs (which fluctuate with the market) will be competitive.

The collection method for making legendaries/precursors will always be there, for when you are looking for the fun of the journey or of the do-it-yourself aspect. The incremental costs will always be low, as long as you don’t rush it.

The worst thing to do is to go the collections route and try to worry too much about being fast or cheap; that’s a sure-fire recipe for frustration.

In direct answer to the question, gw2bltc.com, gw2efficiency.com, and the wiki are the best resources for determining the total costs at the moment. Use with caution, as they make certain assumptions.

In practice, I make my own list on a spreadsheet and grab costs from gw2tp.com’s API, because I like to compare opportunity costs rather than just direct costs and because none of the websites put any value on time or non-gold currencies (e.g. karma).

And in practice, it turns out that the demand for the old way is still low compared to what it was before the announcement of HoT’s collection system and supply of T6 mats is so high now that the old method is going to be really cheap (in gold) compared to what it was a year ago or so. In contrast, the demand for the ascended mats (and common mats that feed into them) is really high, since there are all sorts of reasons people want those, including the shiny, new method of making legendaries.

tl;dr decide if time|money is more important or if it’s the journey|fun|self-guided version. If the former, buy the precursor and be done with it; if the latter, don’t be in a rush.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Tachi.7361

Tachi.7361

From what I can tell, they’re mostly cheaper to buy than build. The main one that comes to mind as potentially better to build from scratch would be The Chosen, since it’s 500 gold to buy on the TP and fits in the “off-hand only” level of crafting.

I think I read that it’s around a 300 gold difference, but I don’t think the number took into account the tier 2 collection, so it’s probably a lot smaller than that.

Axialbloom.8109

That’s because they didn’t based crafting costs on demand for precursors. Since only two classes can equipment it, with it not part of either’s meta builds, the precursor is cheaper than others on the TP. Anet based crafting costs into buckets with the rifle being lumped with other two handed weapons. This results in it being more expensive to craft. If they were to add more elite specializations that used rifle, the cost on the TP would rise and crafting may or may not become a better option.

I can tell you have not even looked at what it costs to craft.

Tachi.7361

https://www.gw2bltc.com/en/item/29181-Zap Just saw this link while checking if Reddit had anything interesting on the subject. I assume there are pages for the other precursors, which should tell you how much they are on the TP and how much they cost to make.

Edit: Having looked at a couple, they mostly seem accurate…Although The Hunter is horribly wrong.

(edited by Tachi.7361)

Axialbloom.8109

I doubt anyone has bothered to craft The Hunter, due to the 30 deldrimor and 30 spirit wood needed for the first stage.

GG Anet.

Tachi.7361

The Hunter: 525 gold buy now/450 order.

30 Deldrimor Steel: 268 buy now/258 order/151 and 30 days crafting + 30 Spiritwood: 291 buy now/246 order/235 and 30 days crafting…And then there’s the other mats, trophies for tier 2…Definitely not worth crafting from scratch.

Posted by: LunarNacht.8913

LunarNacht.8913

I bet it’s because if it is more expensive to craft it has to be more fun! Right? Right, Anet?! FUN, YOU REMEMBER THAT?!

Tachi.7361

Honestly, having done the first collections for a couple of them, some were actually kind of fun. The actual crafting requirements kind of put a damper on it though, which is a shame. The Chosen’s nice and all, but I would’ve liked to continue with Quip’s silliness.

Ayrilana.1396

Or more likely you have no idea what I had said. It’s definitely not a “zillion” times more to craft.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Axialbloom.8109

Or more likely you have no idea what I had said. It’s definitely not a “zillion” times more to craft.

It seems hyperbole is beyond you. And you do not have to defend everything Anet does. They DO make mistakes, you know…

No one is going to craft The Hunter.

Ayrilana.1396

It seems hyperbole is beyond you. And you do not have to defend everything Anet does. They DO make mistakes, you know…

I’m not defending Anet. I’m simply disagreeing with you.

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

I don’t know the answer to that. But I think you are exaggerating there is a problem when there isn’t a problem.

A lot of things in life and video game is pointless, it’s just the way things are. It’s kind of like how players are complaining why silk cost 8 copper before. Now people are complaining it is too expansive.

Your point is good though since if crafting is actually “at least slightly cheaper”, people will bother to craft it. (meaning play the content developer create)

Axialbloom.8109

Have you ever disagreed with Anet? I have seen a lot of your posts, and I have never seen you disagree with them. Not even once.

Posted by: Roxanne.6140

Roxanne.6140

don’t worry guys, there’s a guild chat coming up. Judging from history, they will likely be reducing costs of precursors for the new legendaries. Remember, it is just a game and anything you spent in one day can be invalidated the next.

gaem not made for mi
===========

(edited by Roxanne.6140)

Ayrilana.1396

Have you ever disagreed with Anet? I have seen a lot of your posts, and I have never seen you disagree with them. Not even once.

Maybe because I’m usually not having any conversations with them to disagree (or agree) with? You act as though I’m simply choosing to side with Anet and that I have no mind of my own. I have stances on various things and whether or not it sides with Anet doesn’t matter to me. For example, I typically disagree on 99% of things that involves nerfs in difficulty.

Axialbloom.8109

Maybe because I’m usually not having any conversations with them to disagree (or agree) with? You act as though I’m simply choosing to side with Anet and that I have no mind of my own. I have stances on various things and whether or not it sides with Anet doesn’t matter to me. For example, I typically disagree on 99% of things that involves nerfs in difficulty.

When have you not sided with Anet? You even think a precursor costing a ton more to craft than to buy is fine. Why would someone not just sell the deldrimor and spirit wood, then buy the precursor? This is clearly flawed.

Ayrilana.1396

When have you not sided with Anet?

I gave an example already.

You even think a precursor costing a ton more to craft than to buy is fine.

Nowhere did I ever say that.

Why would someone not just sell the deldrimor and spirit wood, then buy the precursor? This is clearly flawed.

Depends. Did they farm all of the materials?

Axialbloom.8109

You gave a rhetorical example.

Also people can sell the mats they farmed…

Ayrilana.1396

You gave a rhetorical example.

No.

Also people can sell the mats they farmed…

Yeah. What’s your point? I sell a lot of things to make gold.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Axialbloom.8109

You gave no specific example. Probably because you do not even have one.

And farming the mats themselves does not suddenly mean they cannot sell them for more than the precursor costs…

Ayrilana.1396

You gave no specific example. Probably because you do not even have one.

I did list something I usually disagree with. You just missed it.

And farming the mats themselves does not suddenly mean they cannot sell them for more than the precursor costs…

Maybe. Maybe not.

Axialbloom.8109

30 deldrimor
30 spirit wood

You can craft the first level of the The Hunter, OR, you can sell the mats and buy the entire precursor, plus have gold leftover. Hmmmn, tough decision…

And the only ‘example’ you gave was things to do with nerfing. Which is not an example at all.

Ayrilana.1396

And the only ‘example’ you gave was things to do with nerfing. Which is not an example at all.

It is very much an example. You asked if I ever disagreed with Anet. I responded that I typically disagree with 99% of all nerfs in difficulty. And as I stated before, whether or not my position on a subject happens to align with Anet doesn’t matter to me. I form my own opinions based on my experiences and what I know.

Posted by: torgar.4015

torgar.4015

I don’t really see the point in this argument, if you was going to buy the T7 ofc it will be cheaper to buy the completed pre off the TP, this crafting allows incremental progress to a goal, wish people in this forum would stop expecting to get stuff for free, and when they don’t they go off saying things like ‘what where A-net thinking’ if you don’t like the system, go to the TP and buy it… Some of the precrafting is broken like the even failing thing but the ‘cost’ isn’t.

Tachi.7361

To be fair, some of them (The Hunter being a good example, since there’s another 100+ gold worth of mats on top of what I mentioned in a previous post for the first stage alone) ARE “broken” cost-wise. I agree there’s no real point in this argument though.

(edited by Tachi.7361)

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

30 deldrimor
30 spirit wood

You can craft the first level of the The Hunter, OR, you can sell the mats and buy the entire precursor, plus have gold leftover. Hmmmn, tough decision…

I think you are overly sensitive. If you reread everything, no one is even disagreeing with you.

The only thing Ayrilana said is Anet base precursor cost on weapon type. Not demand from player.

Also, just because someone isn’t bashing Anet, don’t mean that person is siding with Anet.

And you probably severely underestimate how rich people can be by playing all day, making spreadsheet, and follow virtual economy. A few hundred gold really isn’t much to that kind of person.

Posted by: Elodium.7263

Elodium.7263

But, the prices on the TP are player driven. You know, market and that silly stuff, demand vs supply.

It’s not like ANet is manipulating the price of a certain item directly.