Cost of Bag Slots is too High

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Basandra Skye.4031

Basandra Skye.4031

When the game came out 400 gems per bag slot was no big deal. Gems are inflated now and it still costs 1200 gems to upgrade one character to max bag slots.

For a player just starting out that’s somewhere between 180g-200g just to max out bag slots on one character. A little ridiculous for someone just starting out.

Would be nice if the 3 additional bag slots were given free or the price was cut by a minimum of 50% to a more reasonable 200 gems per slot making it cost 600 gems total for full upgrade.

TLDR “I hate the gold cost of a convenience item, but willingly demand a cheap cash item be made cheaper or free because it’s ingame currency cost is too expensive now, all the while fully ignoring the implication that the cost is going to be ‘too expensive’ in the future at some point in which case I’ll simply repeat this entire venture over again.”

Gold cost of CASH shop items is irrelevant. Their cost is determined by the CASH price. Fork out the cash, or save up the gold.

Posted by: Zok.4956

Zok.4956

the vast majority of ppl I know are always low on space in their inventories.

I would like it too, if the prices would be lower or it would at least be account-wide and not per character only.

But from my experience it does not matter how much inventory space some (a lot of)players have, the available space is always (nearly) filled up after a short time.

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

This thread pretty much sums up exactly why this guild wars 2 community is absolutely awful, you should all really read the troll responses you’ve all given, micro-analyzing every sentence and being politically correct about everything when all I suggested is that the gem price be lowered on bag slots.

So your problem with the GW2 community is you don’t like it when people point out facts instead of blindly agreeing with hyperbole?

You’ll make a fine politician one day. Today’s not that day.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

I think bag slot upgrades should be account bound and not soul bound…

Having 16+ toons, only one is equipped with max bag slots.

The problem with this idea tho is that Anet would need to refund a lot of people and would lose out on a lot more sales. So what would they do? Well lets see what they have done in the past. The best example would be what happened when they made the unlimited tools account bound, they increased the price by a fair bit.

I could imagine that they would increase the gem prices for one account bound bag slot easily up to 1k gems. Simply because there are people like you who have so many alts that this would benefit that they would take a huge loss from all those refunds they would need to do or from future possible sales.

Ok now we get to the problem of this, that is that there are people who play this game who have only ONE char and who will NEVER roll another one. All of a sudden the price of this item has risen a great deal for them simply because of people like you who have so many alts who asked for the values to be dropped and made account bound….

Really you do not have to have all those extra slots for every char, you don’t, really trust me you don’t. I have 9 chars with world complete and yes I did open all the slots on 8 of those chars but now that I have rolled my 9th char through and also doing my 10th now I see that I truly didn’t need them open.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

(edited by Paulytnz.7619)

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

What costs ‘too much’ is relative. If it’s too expensive for you, then the responsible thing is to not buy it. Seems to me when people complain something is too expensive, they want to be relieved of the responsibility of managing their money.

Posted by: Jumpin Lumpix.6108

Jumpin Lumpix.6108

What costs ‘too much’ is relative. If it’s too expensive for you, then the responsible thing is to not buy it. Seems to me when people complain something is too expensive, they want to be relieved of the responsibility of managing their money.

the issue isn’t that its expensive for me the issue is that its too expensive relative to everything else offered in the gemstore already, and from the sound of this thread, its being validated the vast majority of people are arguing that you don’t need it which is a separate issue of not wanting it and ultimately they don’t buy it.

So again my suggestion to lower the gem cost is valid in that if they were to lower the cost of it, it would be a more attractive purchase in the gemstore and more people would buy it.

aka. “The Complainer”

(edited by Jumpin Lumpix.6108)

Posted by: Kronos.2560

Kronos.2560

I have 10 character slots. I don’t just play on one character only spending 150$ for just bag slots is a bit extreme. If only use one character could see, but they simply aren’t and never have been worth it. If an account bound version (costing more) but gives slot to every character including new ones I would definentally get. But until that day I’ll just stick with my permanent merch/bank setup.

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

The problem with this idea tho is that Anet would need to refund a lot of people and would lose out on a lot more sales. So what would they do? Well lets see what they have done in the past. The best example would be what happened when they made the unlimited tools account bound, they increased the price by a fair bit.

I could imagine that they would increase the gem prices for one account bound bag slot easily up to 1k gems. Simply because there are people like you who have so many alts that this would benefit that they would take a huge loss from all those refunds they would need to do or from future possible sales.

Ok now we get to the problem of this, that is that there are people who play this game who have only ONE char and who will NEVER roll another one. All of a sudden the price of this item has risen a great deal for them simply because of people like you who have so many alts who asked for the values to be dropped and made account bound….

Really you do not have to have all those extra slots for every char, you don’t, really trust me you don’t. I have 9 chars with world complete and yes I did open all the slots on 8 of those chars but now that I have rolled my 9th char through and also doing my 10th now I see that I truly didn’t need them open.

I understand what you’re saying but I’m not asking for it, I just gave my opinion when I said the words “I think”… Also Anet wouldn’t refund anything lol, people would ask for it, but nothing would happen.

Personally I am happy using my permanent Merchant, bank, trading post and silver-fed salvage kit to get me through….

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

the issue isn’t that its expensive for me the issue is that its too expensive relative to everything else offered in the gemstore already, and from the sound of this thread, its being validated the vast majority of people are arguing that you don’t need it which is a separate issue of not wanting it and ultimately they don’t buy it.

So again my suggestion to lower the gem cost is valid in that if they were to lower the cost of it, it would be a more attractive purchase in the gemstore and more people would buy it.

I guess the relative expense of the slots versus other convenience items is debatable. I suppose it depends on what one values. I’ll grant that bank slots are more attractive at 600 than bag slots at 400. However, even that can depend on how many characters one does (or doesn’t) play.

In theory, finding the “right” price point could generate more sales. However, the gold for gems exchange puts a wrinkle into the equation. Bag slots are convenience items (as contrasted with vanity items like outfits). Convenience items are priced high so that the gold amount needed to obtain them is high. People who are impatient fork out cash rather than wait or spend a longer time collecting the gold to convert. Thus, it’s debatable that Anet would see enough increased revenue to make a reduction attractive to them.

Lowering the gem price on such items also reduces the amount of gold needed to get them. Lowering the gold needed means more people will obtain them via gold rather than cash. While the gems need to be purchased anyway, increasing the amount of gold thrown into the exchange has the long-term effect of increasing the amount of gold needed to get gems.

It seems unlikely that a 200 gem decrease in slot costs would ever result in those 200 gems requiring as much gold in the future as 400 do today. However, looking back, the cost of gems has way more than doubled over time. I believe you made that point in the OP.

In the meantime, any increase in the amount of gold needed to gain gems due to increased demand for lower cost convenience items affects player ability to get all store items, not just the items discounted. Look at the spikes in the gold-needed amount every time a new, desirable item appears or there’s a sale. If one’s only interest in the store is the slots, then you proposal would mean one wins. However, the more store stuff one tends to want, the less attractive your proposal will seem.

Paulytnz.7619

I understand what you’re saying but I’m not asking for it, I just gave my opinion when I said the words “I think”… Also Anet wouldn’t refund anything lol, people would ask for it, but nothing would happen.

Personally I am happy using my permanent Merchant, bank, trading post and silver-fed salvage kit to get me through….

Actually I think they would refund because that’s how far their integrity goes. They did so when they made the change to unlimited tools (when people had multiples) and have done for other situations as well.

Lucky you with the perm merchant and bank I am yet to get those and I have had a lot of keys due to all my world completes on chars as well as key farming. Copper fed does me just fine.

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

Why should they make it more convenient for people that buy gems with gold, especially for a luxury upgrade? The gem store is designed primarily to cater to people that purchase gems with cash. Consider yourself lucky ANet allow any sort of currency conversion at all.

Extra bag slots are not a necessity, they are a convenience luxury. Most people I know play perfectly fine without any bag slot upgrades, simply using 18 slot bags

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

(edited by rapthorne.7345)

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

Having bought almost all upgrades, character slots etc with real money, I agree that something like bag slots and bank space should be a fixed gold price. Imho it’s not fluff it’s something you should be able to buy in game or you earning it.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

Actually I think they would refund because that’s how far their integrity goes. They did so when they made the change to unlimited tools (when people had multiples) and have done for other situations as well.

Lucky you with the perm merchant and bank I am yet to get those and I have had a lot of keys due to all my world completes on chars as well as key farming. Copper fed does me just fine.

Oh I never got a refund for my tools, I did how ever upgrade them for 200 gems which was cool…

And I bought my permanent contracts with cash through gem sales about 2 years ago lol, I worked out doing it that way was more efficient compared to buying bag slots and more bank tab upgrades…

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

Paulytnz.7619

Oh I never got a refund for my tools, I did how ever upgrade them for 200 gems which was cool…

And I bought my permanent contracts with cash through gem sales about 2 years ago lol, I worked out doing it that way was more efficient compared to buying bag slots and more bank tab upgrades…

Wait what they sold them outright!? Awww here I was thinking they only came from the chests….

As for the refunds you had the option or you could upgrade, you chose to upgrade so that you could use across more chars I would assume.. Now let’s say you had for example 2 unlimited picks purely for convenience on 2 different chars, you could have asked for a refund on 1 and then upgraded the other since you would only need 1 now because of the upgrade. This is what I meant by this is how good Anet were with the situation. They could have simply said nope, you are stuck with them but they didn’t.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Wait what they sold them outright!? Awww here I was thinking they only came from the chests…. (Snip)

They do only drop from chests but some people sell theirs instead of keeping it for themselves. https://www.gw2tp.com/search?name=Permanent+
I bought my permanent bank access when it was 700 gold.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

If I understand the actual rationale, the OP claims that:

400 gems is expensive relative to the cost of other gem store items, primarily because it’s a character-bound unlock, whereas all other unlocks are account bound.

I disagree with that analysis:

• A new character slot is (by definition) soulbound and costs 800 gems for 5 bag slots, or 160g/slot.
  • Convenience items cost 500-1000 gems each and, although account bound, can only be used by one character at a time.

What we get for our 400 gems is the convenience of being able to accumulate more loot without having to juggle it around between characters, bank, collections, and personal guild bank.

So even though it isn’t any sort of “bargain” price, it’s unfair to call it overpriced, too.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

(edited by Illconceived Was Na.9781)

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

That’s not an issue. Again, ‘expensive’ is relative to the value that people place on things.

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

No matter how you look at it the game has aged and the price of buying something that is considered essential Utility (even more so now that so many new items have been introduced thus taking up even more space) has risen “Overall” when you take into account all of the methods of obtaining gems.

The extra bag slots are not an essential utility, though. People can and do play the game without adding any extra bag slots to any characters. The extra slots are simply an optional luxury item. So, I honestly don’t consider the price to be out of line or exorbitant, even if the game is three years old.

quoted for truth. I have ‘a few’ characters, and of those characters two of them has recieved a single bag slot upgrade each. I haven’t really found a need to expand them fully, or give the expansions to any other character, despite carrying around copious amounts of fun items (tonics, balloon, etc) wherever I go (even into dungeons and on world boss runs) on whoever I’m playing.

I can’t imagine how much junk you must carry around with you OP if you think upgrading bag slots is a needed thing…

Currently I have 6 characters (holding another slot for a revenant) and will expand to 9 slots the next time they go on sale. I run allmost all of them with 20-slot bags and have never paid for extra bag slots.

About the only time I worry about filling things up is when I am doing several bosses right in a row without having time to clean out things or unpacking after such. Banks. Use them. The stuff you actually need between times you can stop at a bank is pretty low, even carrying every type of weapon you might need. Are you really going to change your runes while fighting mobs or something?

If anything changes on bag slots I would want to see the option to pay a bit more and have it unlock across all of your characters. If you fill up one character with stuff you probably have that same problem on others. Plus, you may be using one character heavily one month then migrate to another the next.

Paulytnz.7619

Wait what they sold them outright!? Awww here I was thinking they only came from the chests…. (Snip)

They do only drop from chests but some people sell theirs instead of keeping it for themselves. https://www.gw2tp.com/search?name=Permanent+
I bought my permanent bank access when it was 700 gold.

Oh right, for the longest time there I was under the impression that most of the chest items were untradable.

Gonna have to re-look into those items now.

Menadena.7482

I think you would find that the vast majority of players believe that the bag upgrade is hardly a luxury purchase and in addition that the price of it is exorbitant compared to other gem purchases as it is one of the most mundane purchases you could make in the game and it is essentially a quality of life (in game) purchase (ie. its not cosmetic or fun).

Is it expensive? Yes.

Is it needed? No. (at least going by the replies here)

Sounds like a luxury item to me.

Menadena.7482

In real life terms, look at your clost/garage/whatever. If you fill it up it does not matter if it somehow gets bigger. You will fill it up again. What you need to do is get better at organization … “do I really need to carry xyz around with me all the time”.

Sure, there are plenty of things you MIGHT need once in a blue moon. Put them in your bank and use the ‘b’ or ‘y’ key when it looks like that situation is imminent.

Posted by: Jumpin Lumpix.6108

Jumpin Lumpix.6108

In real life terms, look at your clost/garage/whatever. If you fill it up it does not matter if it somehow gets bigger. You will fill it up again. What you need to do is get better at organization … “do I really need to carry xyz around with me all the time”.

Sure, there are plenty of things you MIGHT need once in a blue moon. Put them in your bank and use the ‘b’ or ‘y’ key when it looks like that situation is imminent.

What does this have to do with the fact that the cost of upgrading a single characters bag slots is too high and most people don’t buy this item on the whole because they feel its too expensive for what it gives you. (even taking into account the convenience of one character receiving additional bags).

Again if they lowered the price more people might buy it, it also might not be so annoying to buy something I feel is way overprice for what it gives you.

I also have no problems with inventory management even though everyone keeps suggesting to me that obviously I must if I want cheaper bag upgrades?

aka. “The Complainer”

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

What does this have to do with the fact that the cost of upgrading a single characters bag slots is too high and most people don’t buy this item on the whole because they feel its too expensive for what it gives you. (even taking into account the convenience of one character receiving additional bags).

Again if they lowered the price more people might buy it, it also might not be so annoying to buy something I feel is way overprice for what it gives you.

I also have no problems with inventory management even though everyone keeps suggesting to me that obviously I must if I want cheaper bag upgrades?

Ah yes, speaking for what most people do and feel. A sure sign that one’s argument has merit!

There is only one way that something can be overpriced. That is if its price prevents it from meeting or exceeding target sales/revenue. Currently only one group knows if bag slots are meeting or exceeding target sales numbers. Oddly enough it is the group that has, so far, chosen to maintain the current price.

FYI, lowering price does not always increase revenue and can very readily result in a reduction. Reducing price by fifty percent, for example, might result in a sales volume increase of only twenty.

Posted by: CandyHearts.6025

CandyHearts.6025

Not to be offsubject but… I’ve never seen people fight over something so. . . trivial before.

Honestly though it does get to be less luxury and more needed as you collect more items. Especially if you’re a person who prefers to keep things with you vs keeping them stored. I walk around atm with 45 items I never deposit. When you’re farming in this game; which a pause to bank can sometimes leave you in the dust a hefty amount of gold. . . Bag space because very vital to the flow in your game play.

Whether or not you find it vital to your own game play is your own business. But the feels about this vary per person and understandably so.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Not to be offsubject but… I’ve never seen people fight over something so. . . trivial before.

Not really. Players tend to forget that the gem shop’s primary purpose is to generate the month to month income stream that ANet needs to stay open. Game sales generate spikes in income but that’s not a reasonable way to plan future development as those costs are monthly. So every time someone shouts about the price or availability of an item at the shop and if only they reduce the price or leave it available 100% of the time are ignoring the fact that if what they suggest would actually generate more income consistently it would have been done already as that is in the best interest of the company.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: imsoenthused.1634

imsoenthused.1634

I remember when the game just came out, how disappointed I was when I bought the extra bag slot and realized it was for only one character. I never bought another one, and doubt I ever will.

All morons hate it when you call them a moron. – J. D. Salinger

Posted by: chronometria.3708

chronometria.3708

I never upgrade my bank slots on new characters. My original one has them all unlocked and that’s no use to me anymore.

Its way too costly, for too little benefit and I can live without it. If it was a bit less, then I would unlock them.

Posted by: Xbon.9086

Xbon.9086

bags still cost the same amount they did at launch, 400 gems. as stated before… when dealing with gems the major point is the real money to gems.

Posted by: Narrrz.7532

Narrrz.7532

if they did a bulk deal on them the way black lion keys work, that would stifle quite a few objections, i’d think. someone who only plays one character would be able to upgrade that one character more cheaply, while someone who plays a huge range of characters could outfit many of them (proportionally) much more cheaply.

something like:

1. 1 slot for 125 gems
  2. 4 slots for 400 gems
  3. 20 slots for 1600 gems

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

make them account unlock across all characters created. after all , at any given time you can only play one character right ? and the person behind that character is you.

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK