Cost of shared inventory slots

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Hevoskuuri.3891

Hevoskuuri.3891

Shared inventory slots are an incredible useful QoL feature. But does anyone else here think the cost is maybe a little too high?

700 gems is alot. You can get other somewhat similar QoL improvements from the gem store for a much lower price (bank tab & bag slot expansions), and as nice as the shared slots are, I don’t think their price should be any higher than the bank expansion’s.

The price equals almost 10 euros (in fact, you can’t even buy straight out 700 gems with real money, so you NEED to spend 10 euros minimum). Now that’s not a big money for me to spend every once in a while, but 10 euros for one single inventory slot seems a bit out of place. I realize that you can also exchange gold to gems, but that’s nearly 200 gold per slot, and I rarely have that much gold around, since everything I earn goes to adjusting my character builds and buying skins, utility items and siege.

I realize these slots are probably amazingly popular, and thus Anet set the price high to maximize their income. And that’s OK, it’s their call. I’m actually quite sure people would buy even more of them if the price would drop. Considering the fact that it’s one single slot (incredibly useful, but still), and for less gems you can get 20 more slots into your inventory via a bag slot expansion (but not shared), I would name these two purchasables as equally worthy.

If their price gets dropped down to 400 or even 500 gems, or if there’s ever a discount, I’ll buy some in a heartbeat. But it stands against my nature to pay 10 euros or ~200 in-game gold for being able to hold one more item in my inventory, shared between characters or not.

Thanks Anet for the free one you got with HoT purchase, that was very nice. I realize their price will probably not drop anytime in the near future, if ever, but I made this topic to simply hear other people’s thoughts on the price. What do you think? Is it set right or should it be taken down a notch?

Oh, and please don’t respond with “if you think the price is too high, then learn to live without them.” That’s self-evident. I’m not whining, I just want to hear other opinions about whether their price is reasonable or not

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

The price is 700 if you buy one, but it gets lowered to 560 (per slot) if you buy 5 of them at once. Maybe the price of one slot is so high so they can do the discount for the many slots?

Posted by: Gator.5729

Gator.5729

While I would always like to pay less for things than I do, I think 700 is reasonable. Think about it.
If you have 15 characters, it more like 15 extra slots.
If you use any of the many unlimited items in the game you only have to buy them once to use them on every character on your account.

Posted by: DeanBB.4268

DeanBB.4268

I feel the price is worth the value, and all my gems come from real money. These are the kind of gem shop items I truly enjoy, ones that add to my account.

Posted by: Khailyn.6248

Khailyn.6248

the prices are what they are. trying not to sound harsh, but if 700 gems is too much for an optional thing, best wait for a promotion where the slots are discounted. usual discount on items is 20 percent.

‘Death smiles at us all. All a man can do is smile back.’

Hevoskuuri.3891

The price is 700 if you buy one, but it gets lowered to 560 (per slot) if you buy 5 of them at once. Maybe the price of one slot is so high so they can do the discount for the many slots?

I honestly didn’t even think about this, thank you for the reminder! I might just grab myself 5 slots sometime in the near future.

Still, I think the individual price is set a bit too high. I fully understand how useful these slots are, but they shouldn’t be more expensive than the bank slots IMO, because it is, after all, just one slot. Make it two slots for that price, and I’m sold.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

700 gems is a steal. Without a shared inventory slot, I’d have to buy 5 copper-fed salvage kits (4000 gems total) to get the same functionality just for a new (paid) account.

The Copper-Fed is a convenience item; the Shared Inventory Slot is a convenience multiplier — it increases the convenience for each item you choose across your entire account (not to mention, saving a slot in your regular bags for something else).

Accordingly, for those who make good use of the SIS, 700 gems is a bargain.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Blockhead Magee.3092

Blockhead Magee.3092

To me, they were worth every gem.

SBI

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

700 gems is a steal. The discount at 5 is an even better steal. I love these things.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

I initially thought they were pricey but now I wouldn’t be without they. As well as sharing salvage kits they are excellent for transferring stuff between toons without them both having to visit the bank. Especially handy if you are in the habit of parking lesser used toons at JP chests ;p

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

While a bit steep I do find them invaluable and I’m going to bust out the ol’ credit card to buy these latest three slots as soon as I get online tonight.

Wow, I think I may have an actual empty space when I get these ones. I’m sure I’ll find something that I didn’t use but will find invaluable to fill it.

Posted by: Lyp Sao.1375

Lyp Sao.1375

… But does anyone else here think the cost is maybe a little too high?

Yes they are but thats the game

Even if you wait for the next 3-shared-slot-expansion (coming soon™) you are doomed because 3+3 is not 5.

clever

Don’t fight the other ants
Fight the queens

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

I honestly didn’t even think about this, thank you for the reminder! I might just grab myself 5 slots sometime in the near future.

Still, I think the individual price is set a bit too high. I fully understand how useful these slots are, but they shouldn’t be more expensive than the bank slots IMO, because it is, after all, just one slot. Make it two slots for that price, and I’m sold.

Without those slots, players have to buy multiple of the unlimited tools to not be inconvenienced by having to go to a bank to swap them out. So for each slated shot filled that’s multiple 1000+ gems they don’t get.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

The only reason why you’d ever buy a single slot at full price is if you don’t want any more.

The Shared Inventory Slots are a luxury item for luxury items. It’s meant when you have multiple characters with full bag slots since a shared inventory slot would basically mean a space saved per character. It has little use if you don’t play many characters.

It also greatly increases the efficiency of things such as most black lion trader items such as merchant expresses or scrolls that take you somewhere, especially those passes. And the salvage kits.

Without these items, the shared inventory slot has very little practical use. So maxing these things out should be the last thing you do. And in the end, if you don’t have those kinds of needs, then you’re just not going to find much value into them.

WvW’ers like myself generally have more need to have instant demand for things because time is important and you can’t save your spot to go back to your bank or something. So I have the WvW provision thing to buy siege on demand, as well as siege disables which I can never find hidden in my inventory fast enough.

The thing is that I don’t buy gems; I just convert gold to gems and wait for sales. When you figure it’s usually a 15% sale and gem prices go up by like 20% when there’s a sale as opposed to when prices are idling, you’re looking at a significantly smaller expenditure. Though I didn’t wait for the most recent one. Silly impulse buys >.> And obviously if you’re looking to buy them all at full price right now, you’d be paying one heck of a premium.

I guess paying that much of money does seem like a poor idea. Buying 16 slots at full price even with these inflated gem prices is about equal to a legendary, but I’d rather take it over the legendary.

I mean consider this is the same game where 1k gold is the cost of….
Perma TP/Merchant (alright, but spawning an NPC is cumbersome and trolls people)
Ascended Armor (increase your stats by 5% or less?)
Instant Repair Canisters (????)
A Precursor (only the start)

And then there’s that Tarataktun portal or whatever, which is a better version of the permanent merchant but has an insane cost. And yes, I’ve seen people recommend that over the perma merchant when there were complaints about the NPC trolling…

I consider all of these things overpriced and I bought a permanent bank (which is also overpriced, but at least it’s really good with the shared inventory) Besides, ascended armor which I am still begrudgingly making gradually for my remaining toons, I would never consider those other things because the benefits would be too small. OTOH, A few shared inventory slots makes a big difference and were always welcome.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Posted by: Bruno.3812

Bruno.3812

I bought them and they’re worth it. Every single toon I have has a copper fed, 3 permanent harvesting tools, a home portal stone as well as minor QoL items such as a Bloodstone Fen portal. The account bound slots are multipliers of items you have to the number of toons you have.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Monstrously overpriced for me, especially in game which has made such great efforts to improve how MMO’s approach account “bound” and “wide” with items. 1 slot at 700 gems versus 400 for a bag slot (which gives 20 slots essentially) or 600 for a entire bank tab just doesn’t seem right to me, regardless of the extra functionality.

However, they seem to be selling really well at that price, so I’m guessing plenty find them good value.

Posted by: Rashagar.8349

Rashagar.8349

Yeah, I doubt I’ll be buying them at this price but then my spending habits are hardly standard. I haven’t maxed out the bank tabs (if there is a max), bought any extra bag slots for characters besides the 3 I got at some point (from HoT?) of which I’ve only used one so far because I couldn’t decide which character should get them, and at least half of my guys still have 12 or 15 slot bags instead of 18 or 20.

I do find the one shared slot they gave out extremely handy though, so after I eventually get around to doing all the other stuff, or if they’re ever on sale, I could certainly see myself getting more of them.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Monstrously overpriced for me, especially in game which has made such great efforts to improve how MMO’s approach account “bound” and “wide” with items. 1 slot at 700 gems versus 400 for a bag slot (which gives 20 slots essentially) or 600 for a entire bank tab just doesn’t seem right to me, regardless of the extra functionality.

However, they seem to be selling really well at that price, so I’m guessing plenty find them good value.

The bag slot provides the opportunity for 20 inventory slots on a single character; the shared slot allows you to skip going to the bank to use a single item on as many characters as you have. In the extreme, if you have 20 characters, you free up exactly as many slots and you get access to the item without a bank.

To achieve the same effect from adding a bank slot, you’d have to have a copy of the item on every character.

I don’t mean to suggest that you should agree that 700 gems is the ‘right’ price. I do want you to reconsider whether you are comparing apples to apples or to oranges.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

The bag slot provides the opportunity for 20 inventory slots on a single character; the shared slot allows you to skip going to the bank to use a single item on as many characters as you have. In the extreme, if you have 20 characters, you free up exactly as many slots and you get access to the item without a bank.

To achieve the same effect from adding a bank slot, you’d have to have a copy of the item on every character.

I don’t mean to suggest that you should agree that 700 gems is the ‘right’ price. I do want you to reconsider whether you are comparing apples to apples or to oranges.

I can understand that, I just personally do not attribute the same value to Such a difference in cost in this way. 1 single shared slot is not really convenient enough as a qol extra to justify me spending 700 gems and im not at this time willing to buy 5 in one go to get the discount.

700 gems means me buying 800 for £8.50. I would rather buy adfitional bank space for transferring since 1 single shared slot will not cover my needs. Extra bank space means I can transfer all of what i want, for a lower cost and maybe 30 seconds of my time. 1 shared slot at 700 gems does not provide that value to me.

At the end of the day, if they sell at 700 gems, so be it, good luck to them.The only person who ultimately loses out…is me

ArchonWing.9480

If you play only 1-2 characters regularly, the shared inventory has little use, and indeed bag slots would be better.

And of course the inverse is true if you have many characters. Shared inventory slot benefits them all, and bag slots are soulbound, in addition to the small possibility you might invest bag slots on a character you no longer want in the future— deleting them would mean the permanent loss of those gems invested.

Bank slots aren’t a bad investment since they’re somewhat more than a bag slot and applies account wide. I feel there’s somewhat of a diminishing returns on them at some point but having them lets you hoard stuff for more effective investments. Definitely recommended if you’re into that kind of stuff.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I think they’re too expensive. It costs £29.75 to get 5 together. I can afford to pay that, but I don’t think it’s worth it for what you get.

Luckily I’m not in any hurry to get them so I’m going to convert gold to gems when I think the exchange rate is good and then hold onto the gems until the slots go on sale (which I’m sure will happen eventually). Not that they’re cheap when bought with gold (it’s about 750g right now), but I don’t mind spending lots of gold because there’s a lot fewer things I can spend it on.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

(edited by Danikat.8537)

Posted by: Jitsuryoku.9038

Jitsuryoku.9038

I think people may be missing the point with shared slots…

Yes they are very valuable, but translate the price into cash and think a little what you get. Critically consider how much they cost, how many you need, what they offer and how much this feature could cost for anet to develop (if your defense contains something in lines of “If you can make good use of them”, you probably didn’t think critically).

800 gems = 10euros (Minimum you have to spend if you buy with gems)
700 gems = 8.75 euros (1 slot price)
560 gems = 7 euros (“bundle” price if you buy 5 at once).

So, at best 1 slot costs 7 euros (a price which people who buy slots on release will NEVER get due to releases coming in sets of 3 slots.).

Development cost
Let’s be fair, it might take a few weeks, a month, 2 months, maybe 3? (FOR THE WHOLE FEATURE not just 1 slot). At some point Anet said it takes 3 months to make an armor skin set (which, at this point costs 800 gems).
Now compare development cost against gem cost of an armor set and shared inventory feature. Let’s assume Shared Inventory also takes 3 months to develop (that’s a stretch).
Armor skin set: 3 Months = 800 gems.
Shared Inventory system: 3 Months = 8400 gems (for 15 slots you can buy right now at best prices you probably won’t get) and probably more in near future.

They are sure getting their money’s worth with this pricing.

What you get:
You get to transfer between characters without having to use bank OR
Allow items to be accessed by all characters.

Don’t get me wrong, I love this feature, but I think the only reason it is priced that high is because anet knows you will buy it at that price – not because it’s worth it in any logical way.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

^Don’t forget to include all the income ArenaNet loses with Shared Inventory Slots, i.e., all the Salvage-O-Matics, Unlimited Gathering Tools, Passes and Portals, and other items that would need to be purchased for the convenience a Shared Inventory Slot provides.

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

You have to look at that from another side as well.

I would never have bought a salvage-o-matic if I hadn’t bought shared slots first.

Posted by: Zok.4956

Zok.4956

Don’t get me wrong, I love this feature, but I think the only reason it is priced that high is because anet knows you will buy it at that price – not because it’s worth it in any logical way.

Welcome to marketing.

These items have a customer-perceived value but they have no “real” value. They are only virtual items within an online-gaming-service. You do not even own anything if you “buy” them. You only pay for unlocking some blocked feature in an online-service.

(edited by Zok.4956)

Posted by: CMM.6712

CMM.6712

The price is to me a bit steep, but I love the usefulness and time saved avoiding multiple loading screens, and being able to pass items around easily.

It would feel awful going back to not having them now that I am used to each character having access to perma tools, salvage-o-matic, etc.

Hevoskuuri.3891

They are sure getting their money’s worth with this pricing.

I honestly believe that by lowering the cost, even more people would buy them, and the moneyflow would actually go up.

Almost everyone wants them, it’s a fact. However, the price is truly crazy for the average player; both in real money AND gold. It’s not something you absolutely must have, but since everyone wants them, by lowering the price Anet could reach many, many more customers. Imagine if the bank slot expansion would only give you 5 slots instead of 20. And the gem price would stay the same. Would you think that’s reasonable? This is how I feel about the shared slots; it seems like total milking.

After all, it’s a quality of life upgrade to make your stuff sorting and sharing easier. It’s not cosmetics. It’s not content. I feel like that kind of a system should be something that exists in the game as it is, instead of making it optional and overpriced. I’m completely happy to pay for cosmetics or actual game content. I’m even happy to buy some upgrades for a reasonable price, because I like to support Anet. But I’m not happy with the fact that for the price of a few slots, I could have bought the entire game.

Posted by: mauried.5608

mauried.5608

Its all a question of priorities.
I bought all my shared slots with gems I exchanged for gold in the game.
Its not hard to make gold in this game , especially when you dont spend it cosmetic items.
Id rather spend gold on functional items than looking good.

Hevoskuuri.3891

Its all a question of priorities.
I bought all my shared slots with gems I exchanged for gold in the game.
Its not hard to make gold in this game , especially when you dont spend it cosmetic items.
Id rather spend gold on functional items than looking good.

You’re right, it is a priority question. But:

I think it’s accurate to say the majority of the players don’t have hundreds of gold sitting around in their wallets. Not necessarily because of cosmetic items, but functional items, like you said. Like bigger bags, gear and weapons, food, consumables, siege, runes, sigils, insignias. I have multiple characters, and adjusting their gear, trinkets, weapons etc. costs a ton of gold. I almost exclusively play WvW, so I’m not making nearly as much money as fractal players or raiders. I simply can not put 200 gold to buy a shared slot, because it flows into more important stuff, and I’m sure many people are in the same situation.

This is exactly why I buy gems with real money, and I’ve been very happy with that. There’s so much useful stuff in the gem store, often with reasonable prices that don’t hurt my wallet. Gathering tools are useful. My silver-fed salvager is useful. Bank slots are useful. Bag slots are useful. Shared slots are equally useful. So why are they sooo overpriced?

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

I’m just converting gold to gems after buying my first 5 with real money. when I get enough gems I will buy another 5. Then again I may not. Who knows.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I honestly believe that by lowering the cost, even more people would buy them, and the moneyflow would actually go up.

And the people in ANet’s marketing/Gem Shop department think that they are priced to maximize the flow of RL cash. They are only human, so of course they can make mistakes (and we’ve certainly see plenty, especially in some of their rhetoric). However, I’m inclined to believe that they are in a better position to identify optimum price points than any of us are: they have the industry experience, the game data, and plenty of in-game examples.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

And the people in ANet’s marketing/Gem Shop department think that they are priced to maximize the flow of RL cash. They are only human, so of course they can make mistakes (and we’ve certainly see plenty, especially in some of their rhetoric). However, I’m inclined to believe that they are in a better position to identify optimum price points than any of us are: they have the industry experience, the game data, and plenty of in-game examples.

And to add, can you imagine the backlash if they reduce their price now? Will they refund everyone who bought them before any reduction in price? It’s not a very good move to reduce the price now. They best they can do is offer them on sale (20% off) for a limited amount of time.

ArchonWing.9480

Matter of opinion, really. Most things on the gem store do not pay for themselves, and to me QoL improvements are better for me than 800 gem, outfits with highly limited customization because the former is always in effect.

I don’t even think the last 3-4 bank tabs are “worth it” unless you do some serious investment and/or hoarding. I also think bag slots being soulbound is quite a bad deal but getting it up to 120-140 is great when possible.

And of course the slots are not as good as other upgrades, because they rely on other items to be effective in the first place. If you’re deciding this and more bank tabs or something, then obviously get the bank tabs first.

I would put Shared Inventory slots in the same tier as storage expanders; slightly higher. And you can pay for less when it goes on sale inevitably.

Posted by: Ameepa.6793

Ameepa.6793

I really like this kind of upgrades to the account. Have all 17 slots now, so at least for me the cost has been fine. :P

Hoping that they add more bank tabs soon.

Posted by: Aleksander Suburb.4287

Aleksander Suburb.4287

I think the price is much to high. The price for the eternal harvesting tools was very, very high, but we bought them, although they can only be used by one character. Many people bought them for each charachter Oo.

And now the functionality that everyone wants from begin for so much items comes with another high price -.-
That was the moment I stopped paying for anything in the shop. Does anyone convert the prices in real money before buying???

The most items that I bought costs 8-10 € each Oo. 4-5 Items are the price of a complete game!

Guild Wars balancing concept: Never change a ruined system!

(edited by Aleksander Suburb.4287)

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

I think the price is much to high. The price for the eternal harvesting tools was very, very high, but we bought them, although they can only be used by one character. Many people bought them for each charachter Oo.

And now the functionality that everyone wants from begin for so much items comes with another high price -.-
That was the moment I stopped paying for anything in the shop. Does anyone convert the prices in real money before buying???

Then buy it with ingame currency converted to gems, all you pay then is time that you already have lost anyway.

Posted by: Zephyra.4709

Zephyra.4709

I think ANet intends for you to buy these slots in bulk because more often than not you will be met with a discount. I believe I’ve bought all mine whenever ANet announced they added more yet in bulk and it’s saved me.

As for the question is it worth it?

Yes. Buy the slots in bulk. I mostly WvW plus have many different toons for various roles so to have all my siege blueprints, food, bank, TP and tarraktun merchant thingy absolutely meets my needs. Being able to use your salvage kit across all toons is super handy.

This is one big QoL feature that I am more than happy to pay for; they did a great job implementing it.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I play 32 characters. I’ve maxed out my shared inventory slots. I couldn’t be happier. The price is fine for me.

Posted by: Henry.5713

Henry.5713

I own multiple salvage items myself, also instruments and some other expensive stuff. Actually quite aware of how convinient they are.
Still feel like they are overpriced at 700 gems. Shared slots are worth every penny for a small group of people owning a small line of items only.
You still end up paying 35x the amount of a normal inventory slot for the ability to share items between your characters. That sounds rather excessive, does it not?

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

I’d say, the point of these bags was more for people who had a lot of characters and kept losing important stuff.
When you only have 5 characters and you swap an item between them, thats a scroll of 2 minutes, but if you have 20 characters, searching all their inventories becomes a pain. Then placing those items in a shared bag becomes a lot more valuable.

I agree that 10 euros for a single bag sounds like a lot, but in retrospect, it’s only like 20 euros for 3, and it keeps going down. it’s virtually a bag with slots as many as characters you have. if you have 20 characters, it’s 1 slot times 20

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I own multiple salvage items myself, also instruments and some other expensive stuff. Actually quite aware of how convinient they are.
Still feel like they are overpriced at 700 gems. Shared slots are worth every penny for a small group of people owning a small line of items only.
You still end up paying 35x the amount of a normal inventory slot for the ability to share items between your characters. That sounds rather excessive, does it not?

You should consider the other ways it saves you inventory slots. Back when the first set of 5 slots came out I calculated the number of freed up slots for me with my copper fed and a set of permanent harvesting tools.

5 account bound slots times 9 level 80s is 45 new slots
Average of 5 deleted items (salvage kits and regular harvesting tools) per char times 9 level 80s is 45 freed up slots
4 low levels mules parked at a JP that now have a copper fed salvage kit is 4 slots
Their salvage kit destroyed is 4 more slots
Plus a couple of salvage kits and harvesting tools in my bank were deleted
Total of new slots for my account is ~ 100

It’s not just the slots and the ability to multiply what you have. It’s also the freeing up of slots by deleting items you no longer need.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Lyp Sao.1375

Lyp Sao.1375

… if you have 20 characters, it’s 1 slot times 20

Nice logic.
But that constant undressing of Zojja’s ascended account bound Tassets (20?)

Don’t fight the other ants
Fight the queens

Posted by: Henry.5713

Henry.5713

You should consider the other ways it saves you inventory slots. Back when the first set of 5 slots came out I calculated the number of freed up slots for me with my copper fed and a set of permanent harvesting tools.

Average of 5 deleted items (salvage kits and regular harvesting tools) per char times 9 level 80s is 45 freed up slots
4 low levels mules parked at a JP that now have a copper fed salvage kit is 4 slots

It’s not just the slots and the ability to multiply what you have. It’s also the freeing up of slots by deleting items you no longer need.

Interesting point of view. Certainly sounds impressive on paper. I can see where you are coming from here.
Yet, from a practical point of view, this big plus side would only affect 3 (possibly) 5 out of my 20 characters.. None of the others have maxed out inventories or even trouble with inventory space for that matter. They are either alts for sPvP, alts from my gathering days or some other alts I rarely play.
A single freed slot does not make any difference if you never have a full inventory to begin with. The convinience to have easy access to all of my tools is what it is all about when I am play one of those characters.
It certainly makes sense if you run a dozen mules or storage characters, however. Even then, I’d be surprised if the majority of the people had this many items to store on alt characters. I might be wrong of course, never ran multi-loot or some of the other chinnanigans.

In any case, everyone has to make up their own minds. Everyone needs to decide for themselves wether those slots are worth the price or not. This includes spending the money but still feeling like they are overpriced. Simply said, the cost-efficiency ratio isn’t too impressive in my book.

Posted by: OneYenShort.3189

OneYenShort.3189

Shared inventory slots are an incredible useful QoL feature. But does anyone else here think the cost is maybe a little too high?

You always pay for usefulness.
Primary—
1. You pay for usefulness.
2. It is not a consumable.
3. People wanted a direct way to share space between characters for a long time. (in particular for the sharing of unlimited tools because people did not want to buy 1 set per character)
Secondary—
4. While I may not have the gold, several people do have gold just laying around to convert to gems.
5. Additional data storage space required.
6. verify no database corruption will occur.

You factor in all of that, and don’t forget bean counter input, and whala… you get the price and the price breaks for bulk buying.
While I am big into storage, the price is such that I have not bothered to get all of them myself.

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

They are a little pricey for my tastes, but then again so are permanent harvesting tools. I can’t justify spending 30 bucks for a single character to have access to those tools at a time. Still though, for people who have money (either IRL or gold) its a great deal due to the convenience that they bring.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Interesting point of view. Certainly sounds impressive on paper. I can see where you are coming from here.
Yet, from a practical point of view, this big plus side would only affect 3 (possibly) 5 out of my 20 characters.. None of the others have maxed out inventories or even trouble with inventory space for that matter. They are either alts for sPvP, alts from my gathering days or some other alts I rarely play.
A single freed slot does not make any difference if you never have a full inventory to begin with. The convinience to have easy access to all of my tools is what it is all about when I am play one of those characters.
It certainly makes sense if you run a dozen mules or storage characters, however. Even then, I’d be surprised if the majority of the people had this many items to store on alt characters. I might be wrong of course, never ran multi-loot or some of the other chinnanigans.

In any case, everyone has to make up their own minds. Everyone needs to decide for themselves wether those slots are worth the price or not. This includes spending the money but still feeling like they are overpriced. Simply said, the cost-efficiency ratio isn’t too impressive in my book.

Another way to think about it is, let’s say you already have one copper fed salvage kit (800 gems) and 3 characters that you regularly play. Would 700 gems for 2 more copper fed salvage kits and a extra slot in your inventory for each of your 3 chars to place the copper fed kit in be a good price? What if you have 5 chars you regularly play? Would 700 gems for 4 more copperfed salvage kits and 5 slots (one for each char) be worth it?

The slots are not worth it to people without items to put in there or who only play one or 2 chars. But once you have items and multiple chars that you play then the use of these slots provides good value.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Hevoskuuri.3891

I agree that 10 euros for a single bag sounds like a lot, but in retrospect, it’s only like 20 euros for 3, and it keeps going down. it’s virtually a bag with slots as many as characters you have. if you have 20 characters, it’s 1 slot times 20

In fact, the price of 3 slots is 1890 gems, and 20 euros only gets you 1600. So you get the most “reasonable” deal when you buy 5 slots for 35 euros. 35 euros, I think, is a monstrous amount spent for any virtual items, and in this case, only gives you 5 slots. Five slots. Out of 17.

I would understand if it was like an entire 20-slot bag shared between characters. I would instantly buy it. But no, it’s 5 individual slots. With that same amount of gems I could get 7 bag slots in total, almost one for my every character, or 80 more slots in my bank plus something nice. I have always thought Anet’s prices were very reasonable, and I’ve been happy buying from them, but dozens of euros from a few small upgrades is just absurd.

I understand the high price of the unlimited gathering tools, because, well, they let you harvest nodes all day everyday, and you can profit quite well from that. Same goes for the coin-fed salvage kits. What I don’t understand is having to pay over 20 euros more to make them account-wide via the shared slots. I’m honestly surprised many people seem to find their over-the-top price completely okay, even though I know perfectly well how useful they are.

ArchonWing.9480

There are some things you can’t do otherwise.

For example, the Royal Terrace Pass. If you don’t have it in your inventory, you will get booted out. With the Shared Inventory Slot you can park all your characters in there and not have to deal with it . Essentially to me, without devoting in a slot to it, it was pretty impractical because if I have to spend the time passing it around, then there was really no time saved anyways.

It also tends to be most magnified when you can’t leave your spot, such as in a full meta map or WvW or an instance. Sometimes I will make a mistake and forget to grab something like transfer gathering tools or I left it on another character. You won’t have to make people wait by going back to the bank, finding the thing, and coming back.

And with that, it also makes you better use of stuff like bank/merchant/TP /expresses/feast/boosters or even things like banners. Before the inventory slots, I would have to spread them evenly throughout my characters, but now that I just put them in there, I always have them on instant demand.

Posted by: mauried.5608

mauried.5608

The price of items in the gem store will be directly proportional to how useful the items are in game.
And the shared inventory slots are extremely useful which is why so many people have them.
And they can be bought with in game gold by converting it into gems.
The conversion rate is extremely good at the moment.
If you havnt got enough in game gold then save some until you have.

Hevoskuuri.3891

The price of items in the gem store will be directly proportional to how useful the items are in game.
And the shared inventory slots are extremely useful which is why so many people have them.
And they can be bought with in game gold by converting it into gems.
The conversion rate is extremely good at the moment.
If you havnt got enough in game gold then save some until you have.

No matter how useful, overpriced is overpriced. There are lots of must-have useful items in the gem store, of which none cost this much in comparison to what you get. I have said this before, but I think the shared slots should be equally priced with bank tab slots. That’s very reasonable considering it’s one shared slot versus 20 account-wide non-shared ones.

The topic was never about not being able to afford buying these slots. To be honest, I desperately could use these slots, and could afford putting 35€ into 5 of them, but then I come to think I could get so many bag or bank expansions with that money I realize how ridiculously overpriced they are. I wouldn’t even think twice if they had a lower price like all the other upgrades. 700 gems for one.single.inventory.slot, shared or not, is not reasonable. Or having to buy in bulk for a really high price to get the gems-per-slot on a reasonable level.