Costs the same to upgrade as to buy new

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Weylin.6478

Weylin.6478

If you’re a newcomer, you’re getting an entire game, and 4 character slots, for $50
If you’re a veteran, you’re getting an upgrade to the game you already have, for $50

Now, to look at this another way, imagine you bought a 10 piece cooking set for $40 a few months ago. It’s nice, has a lot of features, you had a fair few meals prepared with it.
They’ve been advertizing and hyping a future addition to this set which adds 4 new pieces and really opens up the culinary possibilities, a lot of people want it, and are expecting to just buy the new pieces for something like $20 or so, after all, it’s just an extension to a set they already have…

Then comes the release date, and the entire 10 piece set, PLUS the 4 new pieces goes up for sale, bundled together, for $50. It’s a steal if you’re late to the party, you’re paying what the others did a month ago + $10 for a bunch of stuff they never got.

But oh, what’s that? There’s no option to just buy the 4 extra pieces? What do those customers do who already have the main set of 10 do? Exchange it for the new set and still pay $50?

I don’t know how else to illustrate how much of an unfair rip-off this is…

Posted by: MashMash.1645

MashMash.1645

I don’t mind paying for xpacs, but this is really bad.

Unless HoT has a huge amount of content and we just haven’t been told about it.

Pre-Ordered HoT | Recently started to get what I paid for – may spend $$$

Posted by: Coffietire.2783

Coffietire.2783

Consider this, this is the first time Arena up right demanded money for content for years and it is the same price as WoW did for its first expansion minus a subscription.

Also, if you want to push sales for newcomers, imagine trying to sell your product by saying, “Hey! Come buy this new and exciting thing we are selling! BTW, you’ll have to fork over another $50 for this as well though.”

I see this as less of ripping off existing consumers and more about convenience for new players. $50 for an MMO expansion is nothing new or unreasonable.

Getting a better deal by waiting is also a recent practice that is common with the countless GOTY and “definitive” editions of games releasing years after initial release and GW2’s own anniversary sales.

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

Consider this, this is the first time Arena up right demanded money for content for years and it is the same price as WoW did for its first expansion minus a subscription.

Also, if you want to push sales for newcomers, imagine trying to sell your product by saying, “Hey! Come buy this new and exciting thing we are selling! BTW, you’ll have to fork over another $50 for this as well though.”

I see this as less of ripping off existing consumers and more about convenience for new players. $50 for an MMO expansion is nothing new or unreasonable.

Getting a better deal by waiting is also a recent practice that is common with the countless GOTY and “definitive” editions of games releasing years after initial release and GW2’s own anniversary sales.

You act like they couldn’t have done pleased both markets ?

You already own the game great the cost is discounted at the end of purchase.

You dont, well you pay the listed price.

It’s not a hard concept for them to implement. Or heck how about a second functioning base game key for those that already have the game…..

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

The Burninator

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Every single thing ever added to the gem store has needed money to enter the game. Just because the person getting the item didn’t buy the gems doesn’t mean someone else didn’t.

Also, Burning Crusade was $40 at launch. Not $50.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: Robin Skyshroud.1863

Robin Skyshroud.1863

$50 that also includes core guild wars 2?! What does that mean to an existing user of guild wars 2? It means R.I.P. off. The core game can be purchased on Amazon for $20 or on the official guild wars website for $40. This means that expansion is probably only $10 to $20 worth of content.

I would only pay $50 for a new start location in a whole new continent — maybe for example Elona, or perhaps more of the North. What ever happened to Eye of the North?

I hope you guys re-think this marketing plan.

G.G. arena net.

Posted by: Exciton.8942

Exciton.8942

The only complain I have is no extra character slot for existing customers.
They could have it as a nice bonus for us and a much better incentive for more people to pre-order.

Posted by: Photonman.6241

Photonman.6241

Honestly this really does feel like a bit of a rip off. There’s no way i would upgrade an account this way. I’d just make a new one and have a bunch more character slots and storage space. It really wouldn’t take much to fix the issue for me at least. Just something like giving me 1500 gems. But as it stands there’s no benefit to actually upgrading an account, which totally bites since I absolutely love my toons and the progress I’ve made in a really terrific game, but it’s not worth losing out on 4 character slots and a new bank for free. I’d be really sour if nothing happens to fix this.

Posted by: Ralmorian.2748

Ralmorian.2748

Can’t recall what the Guild Wars expansion prices were, but what I do remember is that they came with two new characters, an entire new map as well as two additional character slots. I don’t believe it cost 50 dollars, but I could be mistaken. Some magician who can operate the mystical Way Back Machine might be able to clarify on this. Currently however I feel the same way many of the fellow veteran players felt. Guild Wars 2 and ANET have made it painfully clear that this is not Guild Wars ‘The Sequel’. From the elite skills, to the lack of dual classing it’s become in a lot of ways another ‘open world’ mmo. However I’ve always been a tremendous fan of the art style, writing and characters. I’ve played Guild Wars since the first game through Guild Wars 2 since the Beta and I still love the game. However if the price continues on this trend of 50$ for no additional slot, one character and essentially one zone it sets a very dangerous message. Every other ‘expansion’ will be just as slim on the content for a price that will include a base copy of the game and maybe even previous expansions. 50$ for the content shown is absurd enough as it is. Adding insult to injury to appeal to new players while forsaking the old players is just salty icing on the soggy cake.

So for the individuals who scream “Don’t buy it get a better job.” I would say that having a better job is meaningless if you don’t manage your finances well and avoid throwing your money away on silly investments. 50$ for Guild Wars 2 was fair. Given everything that we’ve gotten thus far has been an amazing investment for that price. Now the loyal fan part of me wants to give over another 50$ for the expansion.

For the expansion two character slots, two additional characters, a new map that is. However that’s not the expansion that we’re seeing. The veteran players have every right to be kittened. Though they may not have the right to have their concerns addressed. We’ll simply have to see how ANET addresses it, if they do at all. There is unfortunately no way to let ANET know that you’ve uninstalled the game and are officially DONE since the game is not subscription (Thankfully I might add). However they should be keenly aware and reminded that their foundation (The veteran players) may begin to crumble away.

Posted by: Coffietire.2783

Coffietire.2783

You act like they couldn’t have done pleased both markets ?

You already own the game great the cost is discounted at the end of purchase.

You dont, well you pay the listed price.

It’s not a hard concept for them to implement. Or heck how about a second functioning base game key for those that already have the game…..

But everyone is jumping to the conclusion that the expansion isn’t worth $50. They want you to pay $50, the base copy is just a freebee for congratulating new players for their new interest and making said purchasing easier. We already got our reward, that is being 1-3 years ahead of them.

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

If you’re a newcomer, you’re getting an entire game, and 4 character slots, for $50
If you’re a veteran, you’re getting an upgrade to the game you already have, for $50

Now, to look at this another way, imagine you bought a 10 piece cooking set for $40 a few months ago. It’s nice, has a lot of features, you had a fair few meals prepared with it.
They’ve been advertizing and hyping a future addition to this set which adds 4 new pieces and really opens up the culinary possibilities, a lot of people want it, and are expecting to just buy the new pieces for something like $20 or so, after all, it’s just an extension to a set they already have…

Then comes the release date, and the entire 10 piece set, PLUS the 4 new pieces goes up for sale, bundled together, for $50. It’s a steal if you’re late to the party, you’re paying what the others did a month ago + $10 for a bunch of stuff they never got.

But oh, what’s that? There’s no option to just buy the 4 extra pieces? What do those customers do who already have the main set of 10 do? Exchange it for the new set and still pay $50?

I don’t know how else to illustrate how much of an unfair rip-off this is…

There’s just one big problem with your analogy. the 10 piece cooking set you bought have a cost price. No business wants to loose money so when they’re selling you the new 14 piece set that includes the old 10 they need to at least charge that cost price which you’re right would make it a rip off if there is no way to buy those 4 pieces seperately. Gw2 isnt a physical product though its a digital item which technically means giving away a free copy has no cost price associated with it. Ergo they can bundle it without making you pay a single cent for it. (just look at all the free to play games out there as an example of business giving away software for free)

But if you want more proof just look around at new expansions for other games coming out soon. They’re all charging $49.99 for the expansion and in some cases $10 more if you want the base game with that.

This we get to pay for the base game even though we already own it isnt a real issue because like they stated you’re not paying for the base game at all, if you dont have it you’re getting it free of charge. Now if you were to argue that it would have been nice if already owning the game would mean you get something you can use such as a free character slot instead that would be a whole different argument and one which i feel would have a lot more merit to it.

Posted by: Pockets.3201

Pockets.3201

I should at least get the additional core account. I’m paying the same money the new players are and I can think of a few uses for an extra account.

I shouldn’t pay the same and get less.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I think we’re supposed to be seeing it as the expansion costs $50 and the base game comes free with it for new players.

But I only realised that later, my first thought was exactly the same as everyone else’s – that this is obviously the bundle and there must be an option to just buy the expansion for less money.

I suppose the question now is whether the expansion is worth that. As far as I remember GW1 charged the same price for each campaign, but then those also functioned as full stand-alone games. I can’t remember what EOTN cost when it came out, I was late getting it and got it during HMV’s January sale.

From what we’ve seen of HoT so far I have to admit I was expecting it to cost 2/3 that price at most.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: BrosefStalin.3475

BrosefStalin.3475

Now if you were to argue that it would have been nice if already owning the game would mean you get something you can use such as a free character slot instead that would be a whole different argument and one which i feel would have a lot more merit to it.

That is essentially the heart of the argument of most people objecting. Already paying for the core on top of paying for the expansion for those of us beyond the refund period (prepurchased GW2 here) while new players get both for the expansion price. It leaves a bad taste in the early adopters’ mouths. Some form of good-will for being a customer before the past 30 days or whatever refund period they extend to now can be a character expansion slot for already owning the core game, gems to the tune of $10 or so, or a discount on the purchase price of the expansion itself. Something to make it easier to swallow the fact that people buying GW2 for the first time today or later get an insane deal in comparison. Most posts aren’t asking for a free expansion for owning the core already (due to the similar price for launch supporters), but some benefit, like a free character slot or discounted price by $10+, would make it more tolerable for veteran players.

Galen Grey.4709

Now if you were to argue that it would have been nice if already owning the game would mean you get something you can use such as a free character slot instead that would be a whole different argument and one which i feel would have a lot more merit to it.

That is essentially the heart of the argument of most people objecting. Already paying for the core on top of paying for the expansion for those of us beyond the refund period (prepurchased GW2 here) while new players get both for the expansion price. It leaves a bad taste in the early adopters’ mouths. Some form of good-will for being a customer before the past 30 days or whatever refund period they extend to now can be a character expansion slot for already owning the core game, gems to the tune of $10 or so, or a discount on the purchase price of the expansion itself. Something to make it easier to swallow the fact that people buying GW2 for the first time today or later get an insane deal in comparison. Most posts aren’t asking for a free expansion for owning the core already (due to the similar price for launch supporters), but some benefit, like a free character slot or discounted price by $10+, would make it more tolerable for veteran players.

I get what the complaint is about, my argument is that it may not be a reasonable complaint. companies try to entice new customers all the time. They do discounts, they give free stuff, they give incentives etc.. How is this any different then Anet giving a 75% discount on the game 3 years later? I as a veteran who pre-ordered the game do not get any benefit from that. I cannot say pay $10 to avail myself of that promotion and change it into 3200 because I already own the base game! The promotion is simply not targeted at me, its targeted towards new players. Same thing here, only instead of 75% discount its 100% discount. Like the 75% discount it doesnt benefit me, a veteran player but thats okey, its not targeted at me its targeted towards new players. No one expects Anet to give away free stuff to veteran players when they do a discount or any other incentive to get new players so why should this be any different?

That being said it would be nice if they rewarded loyalty and I do agree that an extra character slot isnt really an unreasonable request. I do agree they should do it to make everyone happy but not because they have to, they really dont, but rather because its the right thing to do.

Posted by: mrstealth.6701

mrstealth.6701

I get what the complaint is about, my argument is that it may not be a reasonable complaint. companies try to entice new customers all the time. They do discounts, they give free stuff, they give incentives etc.. How is this any different then Anet giving a 75% discount on the game 3 years later? I as a veteran who pre-ordered the game do not get any benefit from that. I cannot say pay $10 to avail myself of that promotion and change it into 3200 because I already own the base game! The promotion is simply not targeted at me, its targeted towards new players. Same thing here, only instead of 75% discount its 100% discount. Like the 75% discount it doesnt benefit me, a veteran player but thats okey, its not targeted at me its targeted towards new players. No one expects Anet to give away free stuff to veteran players when they do a discount or any other incentive to get new players so why should this be any different?

It’s an entirely different situation than the sales on the base game we’ve seen already. When the base game is put on sale, existing players have no reason to buy it. It doesn’t offer anything, unless you want an extra account. New players buying this are just getting the game at a lower price, which is something that happens with any game some time after release.

What we have with the expansion pricing, is something that every existing player has a reason to buy. And every player that does buy it has to get the same bundled deal. But only new players actually get the benefit of the bundled deal. Two groups of people, paying the same price, at the same time, for the same package, but one group only gets to use part of the package. Existing players don’t even get the option to use the extra core game key for an extra account, or to give to a friend.

Had they done this sometime after release as part of a promotion, I think it would have been fine. But to have this from day one, as the only option, and giving your existing playerbase nothing extra while handing out $40 worth of core game free to new players is inviting a well-deserved PR nightmare.

Footsteps Of War [FoW] | Yak’s Bend
Seer Of The Divine | Sarina Starlight | Tireasa | Caedyra

Galen Grey.4709

It’s an entirely different situation than the sales on the base game we’ve seen already. When the base game is put on sale, existing players have no reason to buy it. It doesn’t offer anything, unless you want an extra account. New players buying this are just getting the game at a lower price, which is something that happens with any game some time after release.

What we have with the expansion pricing, is something that every existing player has a reason to buy. And every player that does buy it has to get the same bundled deal. But only new players actually get the benefit of the bundled deal. Two groups of people, paying the same price, at the same time, for the same package, but one group only gets to use part of the package. Existing players don’t even get the option to use the extra core game key for an extra account, or to give to a friend.

Had they done this sometime after release as part of a promotion, I think it would have been fine. But to have this from day one, as the only option, and giving your existing playerbase nothing extra while handing out $40 worth of core game free to new players is inviting a well-deserved PR nightmare.

its not an entirely different situation, its exactly the same thing. well with 100% discount instead of 75% of course. Lets say this week they do a promotion where everyone can get the game for free and next week they open pre-orders for HoT for $50. Isnt that exactly the same thing both in terms of previous promotion and what they actually did?

This akin to some promotions vendors of rechargable batteries do. Sometimes with large packs they give you a free charger. At times it doesnt matter cause you already own a charger but if you dont and you need a charger you will likely choose that brand. I who already own a charger am not being cheated, I am paying exactly the same price. I dont see how delaying the promotion will change anything. Should I get angry if I find the charger promotion the same day I need to buy batteries but be totally fine with it if the actual promotion happens the week after, IE 7 days after I would have already bought the batteries I need?

Anger on this is misguided in my opinion.

Posted by: CinCin.6083

CinCin.6083

I mostly do pvp, but I would like to see some of the new content. I will be for one using the purchases as a NEW account. That is the best logic for the price. I can understand if you weren’t to include the core game for free the justification. Regardless I am going to buy it. It’s just not going to apply to my 2 current accounts. I’ll just have a brand new one to mess about with. With that said, I can empathize with other players who do not wish to have another account. If it wasn’t known that HoT came with core then I bet most wouldn’t be as upset. It’s like wow I’m paying $50 for an expansion and it comes with the core? This would be best used as a NEW account and NOT an upgrade…..

~Reknub | Bunker spelled backwards
twitch.com/reknub
CeleGuard Build: http://tinyurl.com/celeguard-spvp

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

its not an entirely different situation, its exactly the same thing. well with 100% discount instead of 75% of course. Lets say this week they do a promotion where everyone can get the game for free and next week they open pre-orders for HoT for $50. Isnt that exactly the same thing both in terms of previous promotion and what they actually did?

This akin to some promotions vendors of rechargable batteries do. Sometimes with large packs they give you a free charger. At times it doesnt matter cause you already own a charger but if you dont and you need a charger you will likely choose that brand. I who already own a charger am not being cheated, I am paying exactly the same price. I dont see how delaying the promotion will change anything. Should I get angry if I find the charger promotion the same day I need to buy batteries but be totally fine with it if the actual promotion happens the week after, IE 7 days after I would have already bought the batteries I need?

Anger on this is misguided in my opinion.

Yes but then you have 2 charges so you can charge your batteries faster and you can use either your new charger or old charger to start charging them aswell.

Your example we should get upgrade for hot on either accounts of gw2 we have new or old it wouldent matter. ( and here is were that example fall apart)

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

I don’t get why they just didn’t have upgrade for veteran players options that included a character slot and some other gem store rubbish for the same $50, its not like the gem store things are sitting on a shelf somewhere after being shipped from a factory… Character slot, a lvl 20 scroll, some boosters and two Primers. People would be happy. But no….

Galen Grey.4709

Yes but then you have 2 charges so you can charge your batteries faster and you can use either your new charger or old charger to start charging them aswell.

Your example we should get upgrade for hot on either accounts of gw2 we have new or old it wouldent matter. ( and here is were that example fall apart)

Nope because what you’re missing is my existing charger is a rapid charger and the charger they give you is a regular drip charger. So yes I could use the charger bundled with the batteries but I will have a worst experiance then simply not using it at all which is what I would do in that situation.

rapid charger in this case is a veteran account with all goodies you get from playing for 3 years and the regular drip charger would be not applying hot to our existing account but rather opening a whole new account and starting from scratch for the new characters.

naturally no analogy is going to fit 100% dynamics are always a bit different in any case the point is not that you could use the charger even though you already own one. The point is the batteries are bundled with something you dont need at all but why should that make me angry?

mrstealth.6701

What you’re describing here is yet another entirely different situation. If they started giving away the core game free next week, I could get another core game account. I could get 20 core game accounts if I wanted them. With the current bundled package, I get nothing but HoT for $50.

The issue here is the disparity between two different versions of what is marketed and sold as the same package.

Galen Grey.4709

What you’re describing here is yet another entirely different situation. If they started giving away the core game free next week, I could get another core game account. I could get 20 core game accounts if I wanted them. With the current bundled package, I get nothing but HoT for $50.

The issue here is the disparity between two different versions of what is marketed and sold as the same package.

It is just to illustrate the point, if they gave the game for free even for a week the game would probably die as I am sure you’re not the only one who would open a gazillion accounts. but back on subject it just goes to show the issue here isnt one of being cheat its one of misguided envy.

Let me put it another way.. what if they sold 2 versions one for $50 that has just the expansion and one that includes the base game that sells for $100 … everyone would be fine with that right?

now consider as an introductory offer they put a 50% discount on the bundle that includes the core game. Is this okey? is this something to feel cheated about? and if yes why? why is it okey to put a 75% discount on something but not a 50% on something else?

Thing is we want HoT thats what we’re paying $50 for, and Veteran or new thats what we’re getting. The core game is there for conviniance. We never cared about what Anet did with the core game before, they could discount it as much as they wanted, why does it have to make a difference when they bundle it with something we want?

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

A character transfer would be nice. I would buy the full packet and split. Oterwise i guess i wait. I am not intrestet in new classes or specs so no hurry. If the new specs are OP to the exising i might even quit.

mrstealth.6701

Let me put it another way.. what if they sold 2 versions one for $50 that has just the expansion and one that includes the base game that sells for $100 … everyone would be fine with that right?

now consider as an introductory offer they put a 50% discount on the bundle that includes the core game. Is this okey? is this something to feel cheated about? and if yes why? why is it okey to put a 75% discount on something but not a 50% on something else?

Thing is we want HoT thats what we’re paying $50 for, and Veteran or new thats what we’re getting. The core game is there for conviniance. We never cared about what Anet did with the core game before, they could discount it as much as they wanted, why does it have to make a difference when they bundle it with something we want?

That would be the exact same thing the are doing now, just marketed as two different packages. Two products for the same price, with a large disparity in their content. The bundle package would still be a problem if it didn’t give existing players a separate core game key. And in that case, which is the only way it should be sold, everyone would just buy the bundle for the same price and get their free/extra core game.

The store page for HoT explicitly states that it includes the core game. This needs to be for all purchases. Or alternatively, offer an another bonus option to existing players

Posted by: Eklipse.2043

Eklipse.2043

It is just to illustrate the point, if they gave the game for free even for a week the game would probably die as I am sure you’re not the only one who would open a gazillion accounts. but back on subject it just goes to show the issue here isnt one of being cheat its one of misguided envy.

The thing is, veterans like myself are upset that they have to pay for something they already own. A perfect example is this:

I buy a computer and things are nice, then the company I buy it from down the line has a new video card I can upgrade it with. However, in order to get this new card, I have to purchase another computer that has this card installed. It’s currently the only way to get this card and they refuse to sell me the card without buying another computer.

To me, that’s bad business, you don’t treat your current customers like this unless you want a PR nightmare which seems to be what’s going to happen. It’s great for new customers, but for older customers it’s nickel and diming. If they offer something that can offset the amount I’m paying the expansion for with gems or something to justify the price, I’d be ok with it. Currently it’s cheating veteran players regardless how you sugarcoat it.

Posted by: Hachiman.2470

Hachiman.2470

The way they have packaged this expansion gives the short end of the stick to newer players too. I bought another account a couple of months ago when it was at 75% off for my wife.

This essentially means I’ll have to spend $60+ to get the same exact game. There is no way I would have purchased it for 75% discount when I could have just waited a little while longer and get it bundled with the expansion. It’s a disservice to the newer players who bought the game two months ago.

On top of that, by not openly letting the community know how you intend to sell the game/content you trick players into purchasing what they think is a discount just to turn around and offer it for an even greater discount months later.

I get it, these discounts are intended to bring in new players and what better way to do that then to continually change the price so new players feel like it’s a good deal. With these practices it would not surprise me if in a few months after the release they offer the expansion at a 50% discount that includes the game and at that point I’m sure the newer players will be wondering why they bought it when they did. ANet is continually undercutting itself to replenish it’s player base which works but is essentially just a band-aid.

(edited by Hachiman.2470)

Galen Grey.4709

The thing is, veterans like myself are upset that they have to pay for something they already own. A perfect example is this:

I buy a computer and things are nice, then the company I buy it from down the line has a new video card I can upgrade it with. However, in order to get this new card, I have to purchase another computer that has this card installed. It’s currently the only way to get this card and they refuse to sell me the card without buying another computer.

To me, that’s bad business, you don’t treat your current customers like this unless you want a PR nightmare which seems to be what’s going to happen. It’s great for new customers, but for older customers it’s nickel and diming. If they offer something that can offset the amount I’m paying the expansion for with gems or something to justify the price, I’d be ok with it. Currently it’s cheating veteran players regardless how you sugarcoat it.

This will sound wierd cause we’re dealing with phyical objects that have cost prices but ignoring the wierdness what we have here is a vendor who is trying to sell video cards and figures some people just dont buy video cards because they dont have PCs to stick them in. In order to overcome their issue they decide to offer a free PC with every video card. When you go to buy your video card you’re charged for the video card and given a free pc. Now you already have the PC so you chuck that aside since you dont need it, stick the video card in your PC and you’re done.

Provided they charge you just for the graphic card which is what Anet is doing here based on their statement why is that a problem?

Thing is people are assuming the Expansion costs $30 and everyone is just being charged $20 for the core game whether they need it or not but Anet has already said multiple times that, that is not whats happening here. Expansion costs $50, core game is free. This is a digital product, it would be hard to give away a free pc with every graphic card simply because there is a cost price with a physical pc thats why the scenario above sounds wierd but there is no such issue with digital products. It costs Anet nothing to give away the core game with the expansion without charging anything extra for the expansion and in return it might get them a few more customers they wouldnt otherwise get.

There is no veterans being cheated here. Just lucky new comers who get a great deal if they decide to pre-purchase HoT. Simply speaking one doesnt imply the other!

Posted by: evoRobot.4019

evoRobot.4019

I think the Xpac is fair. Your cooking set has been providing you a FEAST for the past 3 years. For 3 years you were able to play countless hours of FREE Living Story updates without opening your wallet once (if you bought gems that’s up to you).

I don’t understand how players bought one game 3 years ago, and are able to complain about the price of the new Xpac made with the resources and planning in the year of 2015.

You have to think of the Xpac as a newly released game, at its highest cost (typical for any game) and then they added the core game on to it, which as depreciated over 3 years.

There is alot to appreciate about this game. And I’m sure there is more to the Xpac that will be released in later time.

The core game is practically free for new players, I think its an awesome deal!

Xscape

Galen Grey.4709

The way they have packaged this expansion gives the short end of the stick to newer players too. I bought another account a couple of months ago when it was at 75% off for my wife.

This essentially means I’ll have to spend $60+ to get the same exact game. There is no way I would have purchased it for 75% discount when I could have just waited a little while longer and get it bundled with the expansion. It’s a disservice to the newer players who bought the game two months ago.

On top of that, by not openly letting the community know how you intend to sell the game/content you trick players into purchasing what they think is a discount just to turn around and offer it for an even greater discount months later.

I get it, these discounts are intended to bring in new players and what better way to do that then to continually change the price so new players feel like it’s a good deal. With these practices it would not surprise me if in a few months after the release they offer the expansion at a 50% discount that includes the game and at that point I’m sure the newer players will be wondering why they bought it when they did. ANet is continually undercutting itself to replenish it’s player base which works but is essentially just a band-aid.

They already said they are going to convert people who recently bought the game so contact support and good luck.

Posted by: Eklipse.2043

Eklipse.2043

This will sound wierd cause we’re dealing with phyical objects that have cost prices but ignoring the wierdness what we have here is a vendor who is trying to sell video cards and figures some people just dont buy video cards because they dont have PCs to stick them in. In order to overcome their issue they decide to offer a free PC with every video card. When you go to buy your video card you’re charged for the video card and given a free pc. Now you already have the PC so you chuck that aside since you dont need it, stick the video card in your PC and you’re done.

Provided they charge you just for the graphic card which is what Anet is doing here based on their statement why is that a problem?

Thing is people are assuming the Expansion costs $30 and everyone is just being charged $20 for the core game whether they need it or not but Anet has already said multiple times that, that is not whats happening here. Expansion costs $50, core game is free. This is a digital product, it would be hard to give away a free pc with every graphic card simply because there is a cost price with a physical pc thats why the scenario above sounds wierd but there is no such issue with digital products. It costs Anet nothing to give away the core game with the expansion without charging anything extra for the expansion and in return it might get them a few more customers they wouldnt otherwise get.

There is no veterans being cheated here. Just lucky new comers who get a great deal if they decide to pre-purchase HoT. Simply speaking one doesnt imply the other!

I’m sorry, but to me it’s still cheating veterans. You better give me an incentive to purchase for the same amount I’ll be paying as a new customer for this expansion. Again, it’s great for new customer and it’s justified because they’ll receive HoT + core game for $50. What about current players? Why am I as a veteran forced to pay the same amount as someone new? They get more value from it by experiencing the core game plus expansion. Veterans already have the core game, so why are they forced to pay for something they already own? Again, regardless how the situation plays out it’s still cheating the vets when you look past said situation. Until a more reasonable price is announced for JUST the expansion, I’ll be passing on getting HoT.

Hachiman.2470

You’re assuming the person bought the game 3 years ago. What about the people who JUST bought the game? Now they have to spend even more money for the exact same content.

Posted by: evoRobot.4019

evoRobot.4019

You’re assuming the person bought the game 3 years ago. What about the people who JUST bought the game? Now they have to spend even more money for the exact same content.

They will help compensate anyone who recently bought the game.

Xscape

Posted by: jihm.2315

jihm.2315

buy it new then and loose all your achievements and bonuses

action combat made mmos better lol

Hachiman.2470

How are new players who just bought the game compensated? Also, If you only pvp (which many do) then achievements/bonuses don’t really mean anything. Still, this is no different than Xbox coming out with a big DLC for a game, charging $50 for it but including the game to “new” buyers. Xbox would never do this. A DLC is sold separately for $10-15 and they would never lump an entire game in with the DLC and charge the same price.

Posted by: ekarat.1085

ekarat.1085

Veterans get living story season 2 for free. Newcomers have to pay for it. So, veterans who logged in during season 2 did get something.

Posted by: Muusic.2967

Muusic.2967

Yeah it’s kind of like buying a new car. For your trade in on the old model you get your AP, loot, Progress on PS/LW and everything else associated with your account applied to the brand new shiny game!

Plus for original edition owners you get to fondly remember SAB and Scarlet’s LA invasion. 2 Events that should be returning soon!

Be who you are and say what you feel for those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind
~Dr. Seuss

Posted by: mistnmc.6243

mistnmc.6243

I’m totally ok with anet putting gw2 on a 1week discount %75 or %100
I’m totally ok with price being $50 for the expansion
I’m totally ok with expansion $50, expansion + gw2 bundled for $100, or even $75; but price of HoT = price of HoT + gw2 as an introductory offer (like your %50 discount offer) is plain stupid, and usually offers (sane and reasonable ones) doesn’t work like that.

I’m totally ok with price being $50 for HoT and a free SEPERATED gw2 account.

But an attitude like “if you want to upgrade your old account, too bad we won’t give you the bonus gw2 account for free because you’re not a new player but our old loyal player.” is not something I’m OK with.

For people trying to rationalise this by thinking it as a sale: A sale is a TIME PERIOD which you can get something for cheap, or some extra freebies. This is not a sale, there is no time limit, you can buy HoT whenever you want, and still get gw2 as a bonus. Oh, sorry, you only get a bonus if you’re new player.

But I can totally understand anet. Well you veterans have already bought the game. Most of you are pretty much done with your gear and customisations. Anet already took much of your money. They are done with you. Why would they think of you? But new players on the other hand, they are juicy. They will need gems too! All those extra character / inventory / bank slots you have, new players don’t. You’re angry and feel frustrated? You’re going to uninstall your game? Oh please do so, they needed that server space for new players with money to spend anyway…

Galen Grey.4709

I’m sorry, but to me it’s still cheating veterans. You better give me an incentive to purchase for the same amount I’ll be paying as a new customer for this expansion. Again, it’s great for new customer and it’s justified because they’ll receive HoT + core game for $50. What about current players? Why am I as a veteran forced to pay the same amount as someone new? They get more value from it by experiencing the core game plus expansion. Veterans already have the core game, so why are they forced to pay for something they already own? Again, regardless how the situation plays out it’s still cheating the vets when you look past said situation. Until a more reasonable price is announced for JUST the expansion, I’ll be passing on getting HoT.

Did you feel cheated each time a new person got gw2 for $10 when you paid at least 5 times that? I am going to assume your asnwer is no cause if its yes then thats a different issue So why are you feeling cheated now? if its okey for someone to get a 75% discount why is not okey to get 100% ? The $50 buys you HoT and thats what Anet is giving you both (new person / you) now to entice the new person to buy they added the 100% discount thing which makes total sense you dont need HoT if you dont have the core game. This isnt about giving stuff to people thats what the deluxe and ultimate editions are for. This is about getting new people to join the game. Naturally anyone who has not bought the game till now requires an extra nudge. there have been plenty of 75% discounts, free trails etc.. and all that was not enough to rope in those customers. Anet is hoping this deal might be attactive enough to rope them in. It is 100% designed for them.

Thing is this is totally Anet prerogative. They’re free to run any promotions they see fit. I cant understand why tying a promotion to a product sale makes is so evil while if the promotion is ran on its own then its okey. If they just discount the core game by 75% no one feels cheated even if they paid full price. if they give it for free with the expansion the world falls and people expect free stuff. Just look at everyone else. Expansion normally come in standard and deluxe / Collectors edition. The standard always carries just the base game its like expected, standard = bare minimum. Goodies always come in the deluxe+ editions… naturally thats what they’re for.

Galen Grey.4709

I’m totally ok with expansion $50, expansion + gw2 bundled for $100, or even $75; but price of HoT = price of HoT + gw2 as an introductory offer (like your %50 discount offer) is plain stupid, and usually offers (sane and reasonable ones) doesn’t work like that.

What is the difference between buying the game seperately at 100% discount and the expansion seperately at $50

or buying both for $100 with a 50% discount?

its exactly the same thing why is one okey but not the other?

also just for clarity plenty of business do 50% introductory discounts. just google that and you’ll get nearly 1/2 a million hits.

That would be a really bad move on Anet part. I guarantee you if they did that there will be millions of new cheap keys on sale on sites like G2A essentially cheating Anet out of millions in sales.

But an attitude like “if you want to upgrade your old account, too bad we won’t give you the bonus gw2 account for free because you’re not a new player but our old loyal player.” is not something I’m OK with.

ever business does that each time they do a promotion.

For people trying to rationalise this by thinking it as a sale: A sale is a TIME PERIOD which you can get something for cheap, or some extra freebies. This is not a sale, there is no time limit, you can buy HoT whenever you want, and still get gw2 as a bonus. Oh, sorry, you only get a bonus if you’re new player.

I am not rationalising it by thinking its a sale. I am using the sale argument for clarity. What this is a promotion. Sale is one way of having promotion. In this case the promotion involves giving away the core game for new accounts. And no you dont get the bonus only if you’re a new player. As a veteran you have the option of getting the bonus as long as you open a new account. No one is stopping you from buying HoT and create a new account and getting the same exact deal as a new player. What they’re doing and with good reason is seperating the two (core game and HoT) cause what would happen is people would take HoT and resell the core game. Keep in mind a lot of veterans already got a 2nd account. Those who thought a second account was a useful thing to have I am sure bought one when it was just $10 with very few exception. If you dont think a 2nd account is useful most likely what you’re going to do is resell it. Why keep something you dont value?

But I can totally understand anet. Well you veterans have already bought the game. Most of you are pretty much done with your gear and customisations. Anet already took much of your money. They are done with you. Why would they think of you? But new players on the other hand, they are juicy. They will need gems too! All those extra character / inventory / bank slots you have, new players don’t. You’re angry and feel frustrated? You’re going to uninstall your game? Oh please do so, they needed that server space for new players with money to spend anyway…

oh come on this is prepostrous. Why on earth wouldnt they care? dont veterans buy gems to? and even if that is not a factor dont the veteran’s $50 for HoT count as much as the $50 of the new player? On top of that who’s more likely to buy the ultimate edition in your opinion? someone who has been with the game since day 1 or the new guy/girl who 3 years 1/2 later still didnt think Gw2 is a good game to buy? and if all these reasons aren’t enough… there are 5 million+ existing Gw2 customers do you really think Anet thinks is an awesome idea to drive them all away by doing something unfair because they expect to sell more then 5 million copies to new customers who didnt think Gw2 is a good buy until today? Really?

I am sorry to say this is all envy and greed. People are mistakenly perciving that new people who buy HoT now are getting more then people who bought Gw2 before when in truth they’re getting exactly the same deal only new players getting a bit discounted like they did each and every time Anet discounted the core game.

Its absolutely not true that new players are get 5 character slots more then veteran. The veteran got those same 5 characters slots when they purchased the game. Same for every other feature of the core game.

Like I’ve been saying plenty of times this is exactly the same thing as any other discount.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

mistnmc

Galen grey
That would be a really bad move on Anet part. I guarantee you if they did that there will be millions of new cheap keys on sale on sites like G2A essentially cheating Anet out of millions in sales.

If the added game is what we have now they arent cheated out of a single sale, we arent asking for old account + hot and a additional base game + hot expasion after all.

We all want the same as the new guys some want to give it to friends/family some just want added laurels/daily login for their main account.

(edited by Linken.6345)

Posted by: mistnmc.6243

mistnmc.6243

What is the difference between buying the game seperately at 100% discount and the expansion seperately at $50

If someone punches you in the face you get a broken nose. Also; if an automated door hits you in the face, you get a broken nose again. So how come one is “okey” and the other one is not “okey”? End result is same after all.

Posted by: Poetraven.2693

Poetraven.2693

I think the price is too much as i paid about the same for the guild war 2 game. I think people who have the guild wars 2 game already should be offered the expansion for £10 or some or offered a character slot or some gems if they buy the expansion as it not very fair that old players paid £50-60 for the game and the expansion(maybe less if some people got in on the sale ) where new people just pay £35+. Would I be able to make an new account with the expansion and base game ( that only way would be fair as such as at least would be getting character slots and the expansion instead of of just the expansion).

(edited by Poetraven.2693)

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

also just for clarity plenty of business do 50% introductory discounts. just google that and you’ll get nearly 1/2 a million hits.

The first difference that comes to mind is that up until the pre-purchase the official communicated stance was to tell people the core game would be required, thus luring people interested in the expansion to buy during sales.

So now people who buy the expansion directly get:

- 100% discount on gw2 core
- HoT expansion

compared to others who bought during the gw2 sales:

- 75% discount on gw2 core
- HoT expansion

That does not take into account veterans who bought the game on release.

It’s a cash grab plain and simple. Coupled with some more customer unfriendly decisions it made the pot boil over.