Could I be banned for using a controller?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: EQuake.3456

EQuake.3456

I use my PS4 controller to play GW2, have been since I got my PS4 on launch day. I had to use Xpadder to map it and I’m still tweaking the control mappings I have here and there. I’ve talked to literally hundreds of people who’ve asked me how it works and how I have it set up and they usually leave fairly impressed with how well I’ve mapped it and how well it works telling me that they would have thought I would have issues keeping up with a mouse and keyboard.

Just today 3 people told me I can get banned because of how I have my controller mapped. In order to use all of the keys I had to map it a certain way, for example to use the second set of skills I have:
L2 + Triangle is heal
L2 + Square is 7
L2 + X is 8
L2 + Circle is 9
L2 + R2 is 10
I have other things to like R2 + left stick moves the cursor as well. Now, they’re telling me that they’re going to report me because I’m not aloud to have multiple keys set to one button. Can I get bannes for this? Nothing in my controller mapping gives me any type of advantage at all, I have the key combos there because they need to be there to play the game. It confuses me because I’ve talked to 2 ANet guys regarding it and they were rather intrigued by it, asking me all sorts of questions and everything and neither of them said anything about banning me or me getting a potential ban because of it, and went over my mapping top to bottom with them for almost half an hour with each one. They left just as the others did, impressed by how well I had it working.

Guild Wars 2 is one of my favorite games, I don’t want to get banned from it. I prefer using the controller much more then I do using a keyboard and mouse to play, but I NEED to have it mapped the way I do to use it as there is obviously not enough buttons to use it otherwise. If it is a problem then I’ll suck it up and go bacm to using a mouse and keyboard. I had just assumed it was fine because nobody has ever told me it was a problem until today. Like I said, I don’t want to get banned.

(edited by EQuake.3456)

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

There have been a few threads on the forums with instructions on how to use a controller. They were never moderated, that I saw.

You can always get an official answer from CS, if you so desire.

Good luck.

Posted by: EQuake.3456

EQuake.3456

There have been a few threads on the forums with instructions on how to use a controller. They were never moderated, that I saw.

You can always get an official answer from CS, if you so desire.

Good luck.

I had started topics regarding them before and a mod never commented. I’m assuming it’s fine, as L2 + Triangle = 6 is NOT the same as skill 1 + skill 2, which would be macro’ing.

Posted by: Ellieanna.5027

Ellieanna.5027

I use my PS4 controller to play GW2, have been since I got my PS4 on launch day. I had to use Xpadder to map it and I’m still tweaking the control mappings I have here and there. I’ve talked to literally hundreds of people who’ve asked me how it works and how I have it set up and they usually leave fairly impressed with how well I’ve mapped it and how well it works telling me that they would have thought I would have issues keeping up with a mouse and keyboard.

Just today 3 people told me I can get banned because of how I have my controller mapped. In order to use all of the keys I had to map it a certain way, for example to use the second set of skills I have:
L2 + Triangle is heal
L2 + Square is 7
L2 + X is 8
L2 + Circle is 9
L2 + R2 is 10
I have other things to like R2 + left stick moves the cursor as well. Now, they’re telling me that they’re going to report me because I’m not aloud to have multiple keys set to one button. Can I get bannes for this? Nothing in my controller mapping gives me any type of advantage at all, I have the key combos there because they need to be there to play the game. It confuses me because I’ve talked to 2 ANet guys regarding it and they were rather intrigued by it, asking me all sorts of questions and everything and neither of them said anything about banning me or me getting a potential ban because of it, and went over my mapping top to bottom with them for almost half an hour with each one. They left just as the others did, impressed by how well I had it working.

Guild Wars 2 is one of my favorite games, I don’t want to get banned from it. I prefer using the controller much more then I do using a keyboard and mouse to play, but I NEED to have it mapped the way I do to use it as there is obviously not enough buttons to use it otherwise. If it is a problem then I’ll suck it up and go bacm to using a mouse and keyboard. I had just assumed it was fine because nobody has ever told me it was a problem until today. Like I said, I don’t want to get banned.

They have it backwards. You have multiple buttons for 1 key, not multiple keys tied to 1 button. I don’t see how using a controller gives you more of an advantage since you have to press multiple buttons on it where someone on a keyboard presses 1 (aka you use 2 fingers, they use 1). I really don’t see how you could be, though it does sound pretty neat to use a controller.

I’m a Moose, a ginger moose even.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

You get in trouble for having one key press do more then one thing. Like having one key do skills X,Y, and Z in sequence. Not for pressing 2 keys to do one action. They allow modifiers in the keybindings, which is 2 key presses for one skill. For example 1 can be skill 1 and shift+1 can be skill (any other).

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/news/1043-macros-multi-boxing-and-guild-wars-2/
Guild Wars 2 players are permitted to use macros as long as the macros are programmed with a 1 key for 1 function protocol.
“This means that if you program a macro, it must require one keystroke per action. You may not program a single key to perform multiple functions.
For example, if you Press A and it results in the casting of a single skill, you’re ok. If you Press A and it casts multiple spells, you’re not ok.
You cannot program a macro to performs the same or multiple actions on more than one account at a time.
You cannot program an “auto-clicker” macro that, for instance, opens chests while you play elsewhere.”

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

As forum members expressed in this thread, we feel that a player mapping multiple actions to one key — for example mapping an attack and a self-heal type skill to a single keystroke — would have an advantage over a person playing the game as designed, with one keystroke per action.

Our policy is that we cannot approve such uses, but I can say that from what I’m reading, what you have described does not appear to be a matter of concern because you are not “cutting corners” by trying to get a series of actions on a single key.

I hope that is helpful information.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

Well, there you have it Gaile has laid the law down.

The people who were saying they would report you had it backwards.

It just boils down to: 1 click/button press does precisely one action.

You’ve flipped it round, making it slightly more complex because you’re using a controller, using multiple keys to do 1 action, which Gaile has confirmed is fine

Posted by: Ravion Hawk.4736

Ravion Hawk.4736

While you may not be violating the “1 button = multiple actions” rule, some WILL feel that you are in possession of an unfair advantage since you are using a control interface that was not intended for this game. This is why you have to use 3rd party software to map the keys to your buttons.

If a controller were to be properly blessed and not seen as an unfair advantage, ANet should add proper controller support that will allow controller mapping without the need for 3rd party software.

Having played both the PC and PS3 versions of Sacred 2 (Since you are using a PS4 controller that is the same layout as the PS3), I can and will attest that a controller WILL give an unfair advantage in response time AND character control that could rival AND possibly out perform macros that violate the “1 button = multiple actions” rule.

So, I’d ask that you not use your controller during any type of PvP/WvW until ANet can properly evaluate the pros and cons of a controller beyond the current “1 button = multiple actions” rule.

Head of the Order of the Iron Ravens [OoIR]
Lady Alexis Hawk – Main – Necromancer
Ravion Hawk – Warrior

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I don’t think using a controller is any more advantageous than using a gaming mouse. (I don’t use a gaming mouse, or a ‘mouse’, at all, and I don’t feel disadvantaged. I would love to use a controller, but it just seems too complicated. Lol.)

As far as I’m concerned, you can use your controller as much as you like. =)

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Truthfully I don’t see how having to take the time to push 2 buttons rather than one gives anyone an advantage. Imo you can use it anywhere you like. If ANet doesn’t object, it’s no one else’s business.

Posted by: Ravion Hawk.4736

Ravion Hawk.4736

It is all part of “muscle memory.”

Anyone who is extremely proficient in playing games on the Playstation and XBox will be able to out perform someone using a keyboard and mouse while they are using a well mapped out controller. Especially someone proficient in playing RPGs with those controllers and are well adapted to pressing multiple buttons for an action.

As I also stated, I have experience with it and I am pointing out that there is a marked difference in response speed.

Until you get your head handed to you in PvP by someone using a controller, you won’t cry foul.

I’m at least being honest and pointing out that there is a distinct advantage that is over looked, Response Time.

Head of the Order of the Iron Ravens [OoIR]
Lady Alexis Hawk – Main – Necromancer
Ravion Hawk – Warrior

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

That sounds like a cool set-up, and it’s no more of an unfair advantage than a gaming mouse is.

I use a standard, cheap, corded mouse. Never did like all the extra buttons on a gaming mouse. Now I’m thinking I might consider a controller instead.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Anyone who is extremely proficient in playing games on the Playstation and XBox will be able to out perform someone using a keyboard and mouse while they are using a well mapped out controller. Especially someone proficient in playing RPGs with those controllers and are well adapted to pressing multiple buttons for an action.

As I also stated, I have experience with it and I am pointing out that there is a marked difference in response speed.

Until you get your head handed to you in PvP by someone using a controller, you won’t cry foul.

I’m at least being honest and pointing out that there is a distinct advantage that is over looked, Response Time.

If that’s reason enough to ban controllers, then it’s also reason enough to ban all gaming mice and advanced keyboards. Those too give you an advantage over those that don’t have them.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: dekou.6012

dekou.6012

Uh, that’s not true at all. M+KB is the more precise and efficient control scheme for games that don’t require analog sticks. That’s why console shooters tend to have auto-aiming baked in even in multiplayer. Controllers may be a bit more comfy, but that doesn’t translate into faster response times.

Posted by: Shockwave.1230

Shockwave.1230

I’d be curious if it’s difficult to adjust the camera and move at the same time while performing game action

Sylvari Elementalist – Mystree Duskbloom (Lv 80)
Norn Guardian – Aurora Lustyr (Lv 80)
Mia A Shadows Glow – Human Thief (Lv 80)

Posted by: Invictus.5197

Invictus.5197

I use a 360 game pad on gw2 u are not braking any rules as long as your not multi keying abilities onto 1 buton u are fine ill post my set up

as for the people claiming your cheating thats bullkitten a mouse and keyboard will always be faster hell a 12 button gaming mouse is as fast as it gets and no one says people using them are cheating

left triger button =set2
left bumper button = set 3 and allows mouse pointer movement
in all other sets mouse pointer is locked
left joy= movement in all sets
Left joy button= swap wepons set 1… set 2= put weapon away.. set 3 = esc
D pad = F1 F2 F3 F4 set1…set2=no function… set 3= zoom in and out up down on pad
walk is right pad holster weapon is left pad
right thumb stick = camera movement in all sets bar the 3rd were is moves the pointer
right thumb stick button = doge in all sets
a button = jump in all 3 sets
x=1 y=2 b=3 right bumper =4 right trigger =5 in set 1
x=7 y=8 b=9 right bumper =0 right trigger = 6 in set 2
3rd set y= closet target right bumper = left mouse button
start = map select =f in set 1 ( set 2 no function) set 3 start = main map zoom in select = main map zoom out

no 2 sets be can be used at once as the buttons that tell it what set to use have to be held and only 1 can be active at a time
it also took me a few weeks to get used to it and puting aoes out is a lot slower then using a mouse

3rd gen I5@3.8GHZ 660TI DC SOC
8gigs ddr3@1666mhz 1tb hd@7700rpm
win764bit home 750wht thermaltake psu

(edited by Invictus.5197)

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

I’m sure this is a fine setup for your basic moves and actions, but how do you maintain the camera?

Posted by: Xeyron.5267

Xeyron.5267

I’m sure this is a fine setup for your basic moves and actions, but how do you maintain the camera?

Yes, please tell me! Lol I have been wanting to play Gw2 with a controller for some time now, but I hesitate because I didn’t see a way to move the camera around and because there wouldn’t be enough buttons to use all the functions I needed. =/ I’m glad that you were able to come up with a good solution though, I am actually encouraged to give try again with the controller.

Posted by: BlueDragon.7054

BlueDragon.7054

Yes, please tell me! Lol I have been wanting to play Gw2 with a controller for some time now, but I hesitate because I didn’t see a way to move the camera around and because there wouldn’t be enough buttons to use all the functions I needed. =/ I’m glad that you were able to come up with a good solution though, I am actually encouraged to give try again with the controller.

It s easy, you can map the right joystick to click + mouse movement, you can even adjust the speed of the mouse movement and the treshold to start detecting a movement from the joystick.

I have that configured for my ps3 controller although it would be nice if someone from Anet can confirm if it s ok to do it.

Posted by: FrostSpectre.4198

FrostSpectre.4198

Perhaps also because someone could use the same program to bind multible buttons into 1 and create unfair advantages against other players, without a playstation controller…

So it’s about the use of the 3rd party programs, anyone could use the same program to get unfair advantages over other players, while some would use it to map buttons for a console controller.

As said before, it’s up to ANet to decide and create controller support, if they want to…

I’m a casual PvE adventurer, I enjoy combat, adventure and helping, but not farming.
I rarely do PvP or Hard PvE, unless it’s organized.

Posted by: Solomon Darkfury.3729

Solomon Darkfury.3729

As forum members expressed in this thread, we feel that a player mapping multiple actions to one key — for example mapping an attack and a self-heal type skill to a single keystroke — would have an advantage over a person playing the game as designed, with one keystroke per action.

Our policy is that we cannot approve such uses, but I can say that from what I’m reading, what you have described does not appear to be a matter of concern because you are not “cutting corners” by trying to get a series of actions on a single key.

Using macros (which by definition is assigning multiple key strokes to one key) is a violation of the GW2 TOS. You even confirm it here on this thread…

This has been around since launch-

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/new-the-steelseries-guildwars2-gaming-keyboard/

You have TOS that bans for using macros and endorse a product that is specifically designed to use them…

Pricelessly laughable… The dollar making hypocrisy is REAL! lol

(edited by Solomon Darkfury.3729)

Posted by: BlueDragon.7054

BlueDragon.7054

Using macros (which by definition is assigning multiple key strokes to one key) is a violation of the GW2 TOS. You even confirm it here on this thread…

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/new-the-steelseries-guildwars2-gaming-keyboard/

You have TOS that bans for using macros and endorse a product that is specifically designed to use them…

You can map 1 button to 1 action, you can also map 2 buttons pressed together to 1 action that s not against the TOS. What you can t do is 1 button to multiple actions.

1 to 1 ok
2 to 1 ok because it s the same as if you bind in game an action to shift + another key so L2 + O for 1 action should be ok, not an advantage.
1 to many not ok

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

You should read this thread more closely next time or do some reading comprehension exercises.

SAT preparation websites are a good source. After some training, what’s been said will become more clearer for you. I wish you the best of luck.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Solomon Darkfury.3729

You should read this thread more closely next time or do some reading comprehension exercises.

SAT preparation websites are a good source. After some training, what’s been said will become more clearer for you. I wish you the best of luck.

Wow you are such a rude ridiculously horrible human being.

My statement still stands true… The GW2 steelseries keyboard is designed to support the use of macros… 99% of macro usage in games is to perform multiple actions in one keystroke… anyone who has been playing MMOs for any amount of time will tell you that…

Note my post isn’t an attack on the OP or any of the players but rather to enlighten them to the dollar making hypocrisy that is Anet lol

Ayrilana.1396

How am I rude? I was just trying to help. If I came off that way then I apologize but that was not my intention. I’m a firm believer of self improvement. Whenever I don’t know something or struggle, I always try to resolve it. That’s why I offered that suggestion.

It seemed that you either did not read the OP, dev’s, and your definition closely or did not understand the meaning of what they were talking about. You were so sure about what you thought they were saying that you made an insult to the Anet employee by calling her a hypocrite.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Ayrilana.1396

I can’t edit my post since the forums are acting up.

The OP stated that they wanted to assign multiple controller buttons to perform an action. Kind of similar to using shift+F to perform an action with a keyboard. The Anet employee stated that this seemed okay.

You then said that the OP and Anet were wrong by stating that it is a macro which is assigning multiple actions to a single key. This was the exact opposite of what was going on. You then called the Anet employee a hypocrite by extension of your comment about Anet’s dollar making hypocrisy.

Theres a big difference between assigning multiple keys to perform an action vs a single key to perform multiple actions.

Solomon Darkfury.3729

The OP stated that they wanted to assign multiple controller buttons to perform an action. Kind of similar to using shift+F to perform an action with a keyboard. The Anet employee stated that this seemed okay.

You then said that the OP and Anet were wrong by stating that it is a macro which is assigning multiple actions to a single key. This was the exact opposite of what was going on. You then called the Anet employee a hypocrite by extension of your comment about Anet’s dollar making hypocrisy.

Theres a big difference between assigning multiple keys to perform an action vs a single key to perform multiple actions.

The dev stated assigning multiple actions to 1 key is a big nono… which is also verifiable in the TOS

I stated that this is a hypocrisy given they have marketed their brand onto a peripheral that is designed to do exactly that… use macros and has designated keys for them…

I never accused the OP of trying to assign multiple actions to one key… If you believe I did then please show me where I did so…

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

so what you are saying, in “clear text is”
Macro is okay aslong as it does not consist of multiple actions performed in sequence?

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

Posted by: Rozbuska.5263

Rozbuska.5263

What about non combat binding? Since we still havent full autoloot and I constantly forgeting some bags on ground I thinked about maping loot pickup on WASD together with moving for example.

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

Ayrilana.1396

The dev stated assigning multiple actions to 1 key is a big nono… which is also verifiable in the TOS

I stated that this is a hypocrisy given they have marketed their brand onto a peripheral that is designed to do exactly that… use macros and has designated keys for them…

I never accused the OP of trying to assign multiple actions to one key… If you believe I did then please show me where I did so…

If that was your intent with your post then okay. However, that brings up another question. Why did you create a post in this thread that had nothing to do with the OP’s post or anything discussed in this thread? That keyboard was never mentioned until you brought it up.

Solomon Darkfury.3729

If that was your intent with your post then okay. However, that brings up another question. Why did you create a post in this thread that had nothing to do with the OP’s post or anything discussed in this thread? That keyboard was never mentioned until you brought it up.

I brought it up as a direct counter argument to what the dev stated. Are we not allowed to question the validity of a dev’s statement on the forums?