Could someone please explain this to me?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Raven.1524

Raven.1524

1. Usually people buy games for 20-60$ (offline games), they enjoy it and then leave them to rot somewhere safe.
Why is there so much controversy about MMOs not having enough content, or not releasing them, when you spent more than enough time on the game comparing it with another offline games, relatively with their prices?
I’m not talking only about GW2 in here, since this issue seems to appear in every other online game.

2. I know ArenaNet does not have enough manpower to be compared to companies like Blizzard or Square-Enix, so why is everyone demanding the quality of content a big company could make in a relatively short amount of time?

Posted by: Taxidriver.2043

Taxidriver.2043

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

Because these are the forums, in short. Most of the positive people are probably in-game, too busy enjoying it to bother with the negativity and criticism the forums bring.

(Not that I’m condemning criticism of course. As long as it’s constructive, negative feedback can be a good thing for the Devs to take on board.)

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: Kirschsahne.2081

Kirschsahne.2081

2. I know ArenaNet does not have enough manpower to be compared to companies like Blizzard or Square-Enix, so why is everyone demanding the quality of content a big company could make in a relatively short amount of time?

a) because they pay the same price like for a AAA company game

b) how do you think Blizzard or Square got that big ?
I give you a hint… not by cutting corners everywhere and avoid the every extra mile possible especially regarding to contend.

Ask yourself one thing.
What is the status of a game when the most wanted contend (SAB) has absolutely nothing to do with GW2 ???

Posted by: Major Domo.9250

Major Domo.9250

I think many folks here have gotten at least $50 worth of entertainment just from playing Guild Forums.

But seriously, it is odd that MMOs in general seem to be held to a different standard – especially in GW2’s case where a sizable portion of new content is provided free of charge.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

1. Usually people buy games for 20-60$ (offline games), they enjoy it and then leave them to rot somewhere safe.
Why is there so much controversy about MMOs not having enough content, or not releasing them, when you spent more than enough time on the game comparing it with another offline games, relatively with their prices?
I’m not talking only about GW2 in here, since this issue seems to appear in every other online game.

1) I don’t really play off-line games (much). Do they have thousands of dollars of stuff for you to buy in addition to the game itself ? I know that MMOs are often designed around gating you out of completing content too quickly as they want you to keep playing in order to either pay your sub fee longer or to be exposed to the cash shop for longer. Personally I spent over a thousand dollars on the game in the first few months. I’ve never played an off-line game where that was even possible.

2) If you are going to charge similarly to the big boys for your product, expect it to be compared to them. Of course those other games charge a sub fee in addition to their box purchase, but a cash shop in a FtP or BtP game can cost more than a sub fee in order to get as much as is included in a subscription in a game like WoW.