Could there be a PVP server in the future ?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Soul.5947

Soul.5947

As a person who likes the pvp aspect of this mmo but also enjoy roaming the pve maps that i would really enjoy being able to fight with other players in all these cool locations. The maps are amazing and i don’t see why pvp players can’t enjoy fighting on them when clearly so much effort went into making them.
Maybe a server where guilds can fight over killing a dragon instead of working together would also be fun for some of us.
I am sure there are people playing that would love to fight just for the fun of it and not be constrained to the 4 wvw maps we have now. Not saying they aren’t nice or anything but why be constrained.
Anyway the question is if the the game can allow for such features as open world pvp and if it can would the devs consider opening such a server. I would definitely transfer to one, or at least guest quite often.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

The PvE game is designed around a cooperative experience, not a competitive one. Making the changes needed to do a competitive environment right would require a huge investment in programming resources. I doubt this will happen, as much as some people might want it.

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

Making the changes for it is time worth investing as it will add 25 HUGE new maps to the PvP area.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

This exact request has been made many times. IndigoSundown gave the solid technical reasons why this won’t happen. Brace yourself for the gut reflex response you’re going to get from everyone who hates getting ganked (I’m one of them, but I’m not worried ANet will ever force me into a testosterone flame fest gank world).

Posted by: BlueDragon.7054

BlueDragon.7054

This exact request has been made many times. IndigoSundown gave the solid technical reasons why this won’t happen. Brace yourself for the gut reflex response you’re going to get from everyone who hates getting ganked (I’m one of them, but I’m not worried ANet will ever force me into a testosterone flame fest gank world).

They can make it like DC Universe Online, you can change between the pvp and pve server any time. Instead of villains and heroes they can make it by orders or something like that.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

As long as it can’t be a Home server, because if it was, they would need three. Assuming these Open World PvP players wanted to join in WvW, ever. And would not mind fighting the same servers, forever.

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

Pvp isnt interesting enough currently to make a server solely for pvp alone.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I highly doubt they could populate one such server, let alone three. This game is not designed to appeal to vicious cutthroats, it’s made for sharing and helping. Since people who prefer the core design of the game aren’t going to ever make characters on a gank world, the would be gankers will starve out for lack of helpless prey.

Posted by: hellsmachine.4085

hellsmachine.4085

Nope, anet does not care for PvPers. No dueling and no open world PvP. Only a small amount of sPvP maps, with the same modes for how long? And WvW is a joke. It’s obvious anet is abandoning us the PvP players. Sad because I really like this game.

(edited by hellsmachine.4085)

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

there’s already dozens upon dozens of threads explaining all the reason why open world pvp wouldn’t work in this game, that an overwhelming majority doesn’t want it, and that, more importantly, it goes against Anet’s vision for the game.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: SirDrygan.1823

SirDrygan.1823

…….. it goes against Anet’s vision for the game.

ANET threw that vision out the window after launch…… they may just implement a PvP server if there is a demand for it and they have the chance to sell more gems for it!

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

How would this be a benefit for the game? You want it ok, but the game is not designed for open world pvp. The WvWvW area was designed to take this aspect of the game.

GrandmaFunk.3052

ANET threw that vision out the window after launch…

With regards to open world player interactions and collaboration?

no, they haven’t.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Pleurodesed.7625

Pleurodesed.7625

Add a tick for “I want to combat”

Those who want to combat can combat.
Those who don’t want to combat can’t combat.

No new server, 2 lines of code.

I don’t see how ANYONE could nay this.

Posted by: Zahld.4956

Zahld.4956

Okay…how about each month a modified world zone becomes a wvw, spvp or whatever pvp gameplay zone in a different pvp part of each server. These could be world zone pvp areas or whatever. These zones would contain resources, like fuel, precious industrial minerals, production facilities, advance weapons and whatever other exploitable good that teams would have to try acquire and use to increase their possession of these and to use to produce more products resulting from the acquisitions of these acquisitions.

GrandmaFunk.3052

2 lines of code.

Ah yes, the infamous “it’s just 2 lines of code” that armchair devs love applying to everything.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Pleurodesed.7625

2 lines of code.

Ah yes, the infamous “it’s just 2 lines of code” that armchair devs love applying to everything.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_ridicule

I strongly believe that making names red to each other if people crossed a box would require significantly less work than rolling out a living story update or re-balancing the skills; which they do every two weeks.

And it would add a lot to WvW; which now is a dull zergfest.

GrandmaFunk.3052

I strongly believe that making names red to each other if people crossed a box

yes, because that’s all that would be involved in implementing this, changing the display colour of nameplates. /eyeroll

do yourself a favour and go through a few of the countless threads on this if you want to start getting an idea of all the complexities involved.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: hellsmachine.4085

hellsmachine.4085

Add a tick for “I want to combat”

Those who want to combat can combat.
Those who don’t want to combat can’t combat.

No new server, 2 lines of code.

I don’t see how ANYONE could nay this.

This is a good idea.

Pleurodesed.7625

I strongly believe that making names red to each other if people crossed a box

yes, because that’s all that would be involved in implementing this, changing the display colour of nameplates. /eyeroll

I never stated it was just “changing the colours of the nameplates”.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principle_of_charity

Noone here really has access to the code.
But unless we’re dealing with spaghetti code, it is fair to assume that putting two people in the same team based on a selection should require little work.

If you have anything to disqualify this idea as horrid, feel free to bring it here to back up your statements.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

I don’t think they would ever do this for a couple of reasons, one is that the PvE area’s game philosophy is about cooperation. The other is because it would take people out of WvW and cause that area to potentially collapse.

Pleurodesed.7625

So a reason is so people don’t go from WvW to PvE?
That certainly saddens me, as I want it to leave WvW into PvE.

I love WvW since I get to fight with people in the open. It’s just incredibly boring having to walk for minutes into combat.
There’s something I really miss from an MMORPG I used to play, which was to do the pve stuff and having other players attack you.

Sure you can compare it with capturing camps, but it just isn’t the same…
I don’t enjoy being in the same map at all times.
Tyria is huge and good looking.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Thing is…it is often remarked on how the PvE maps are rather empty. Thus, no one to PvP with, anyway.

Either the maps have plenty of people to PvP with in them, or bringing PvP to the empty maps would be rather futile.

Pleurodesed.7625

I believe that to be a side-effect of the reward system; which I also believe needs to be reworked.
I personally think when one place has a crapload of overflow instances running and the rest of the map is empty, there’s something inherently wrong.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

These servers normally also have the trend to kill themself, because the need to have of course also some players that just want to explore and do there quest as fodder for the gankers. Now naturally the more they get ganked the higher the chance that they just leave and in the end there are no more victims left for the gankers so they also move on to another server or game leaving another deserted server behind.

So i hope they will never waste developer recourses into this.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Pleurodesed.7625

You can’t discard the idea based on that isolated case.
Beledin, that problem is solved by allowing players to activate “safe mode”.

Beldin.5498

Would have the same effect as if those player leave .. no easy targets for all these ninja assassins that like to jump on players when they are in the middle of a fight → ninja assassins leave.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

You are saying that’s it’s “simple” to do, yet none of us have any knowledge how their code work. If you had even a vague idea of how programming work you wouldn’t be saying that it’s only 2 lines of code. You don’t know how the teams are being handled, how they are being stored in the database, how the methods themselves work to allow or not allow skills to work on specific targets. Yet you claim it’s a 2-line code. You have no idea.

Also, implementing how something so bad as open pvp would bring us to the next point: This game is not (and should not) be balanced around 1vs1. There is already an outcry about certain OP builds in sPVP and in roaming WvW, there is absolutely no need to make them worse by adding the PVE duelers in.

If anyone ever sends a whisper (or attempts to send a whisper) to a player that doesn’t want duels he should be perma banned from the game with the message: “Your ganking paradise is THAT way”. No questions asked, no more info needed, the moment you send the whisper you are perma banned from the game. Also, if anyone ever posts a thread about balancing for duels on these forums they should also be perma banned immediately, no questions asked, both from the forums and in-game. Maybe that way it could work.

Your gankers paradise is THAT way —-—> “ganking MMOs”

Pleurodesed.7625

Would have the same effect as if those player leave .. no easy targets for all these ninja assassins that like to jump on players when they are in the middle of a fight -> ninja assassins leave.

That isn’t really a problem. Myself, I don’t like the “ninja ganking open pvp” so I’m all cool with gankers staying the same as now.
Open Pvp with safe mode should be more about people who like fighting their way around without killing those who don’t want to.

maddoctor, I don’t understand why you’re so emotionally rejecting the idea. If you don’t want to, you could just enable safe mode which would make you “green” to other players like you are right now. You could think of it as “everyone now is playing with safe mode activated”.

Allow me to point out some observations:
-Some red npcs fight other yellow/red npcs, but not themselves, even with area attacks (wolves).
-Some red npcs fight green npcs.
And most importantly, perhaps:
-In wvw, a green black lion merchant will be green and unkillable by ANYONE.

So I can guess the implementation is based on assigned teams, which would make this idea of “safe mode” very easy by putting those who don’t want to fight in the same team as the merchants and those who want to fight like a red NPC.
It is an insignificant change compared to what they did to culling and such.
I admit I can’t really retort when they say they’re not raising the target cap because of performance issues. But this? Come on…

Believe me, I know enough about programming; it’s what I do for a living.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

(edited by Pleurodesed.7625)

maddoctor.2738

maddoctor, I don’t understand why you’re so emotionally rejecting the idea. If you don’t want to, you could just enable safe mode which would make you “green” to other players like you are right now. You could think of it as “everyone now is playing with safe mode activated”.

I think I already posted my issues above but I guess I have to repost them.

Whisper spams for duels even if you are green/safe whatever you call it and forum threads about “imbalanced” dueling. Those cannot be so easily “solved” with green flags.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Every server is a pvp server but they are limited to only a few zones know as wvw.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Beldin.5498

Would have the same effect as if those player leave .. no easy targets for all these ninja assassins that like to jump on players when they are in the middle of a fight -> ninja assassins leave.

That isn’t really a problem. Myself, I don’t like the “ninja ganking open pvp” so I’m all cool with gankers staying the same as now.
Open Pvp with safe mode should be more about people who like fighting their way around without killing those who don’t want to.

Yeah .. there is normally nobody in the forums who says he likes to gank others. Even before AION came out all you could read was : Ganking .. nooo .. never … all i want is the challenge .. blabla …

3-4 months after release it was not possible anymore to quest in you 30-40 ares because there where more gank squads of full equipped lvl 50s than players from your own faction.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

That’s what WvW is for. The only point on which WvW is different from open world PvP is that in WvW potential victims are prepared for combat and generally capable of fighting back.
People that insist on open world PvP and say WvW is not enough for them, do that because what they really want is to be able to attack unsuspecting and generally defenceless targets. Not because they want duels.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Scrambles.2604

Scrambles.2604

i’m all for open world duels, but open pvp is something that needs to be built around from the beginning, not added later as an afterthought. WvW is a good outlet for this, and i would advocate for the addition of new areas with PvE goals but allowable open pvp.

The best part about open pvp is you don’t know when to expect it. I have fond memories of contested zones in WoW, just leveling up a little toon all by myself when out of no where “BAM” a horde character gets the jump on me and we duke it out. Sometimes i get outright ganked, but when you manage to overcome your foe it makes all those gankings and corpse campings worth it.

That being said, WvW isn’t the best replacement because it is a PvP zone first with very little PvE. A proper open pvp zone needs to be PvE minded firstly, with allowable open pvp to add excitement and break up the monotonous questing.

I like the idea of seperating the teams based on your Order. That would add variation to the races involved (instead of making teams based on race) and would give an actual purpose to being part of an Order.

Posted by: ShinjoNaomi.1896

ShinjoNaomi.1896

That’s what WvW is for. The only point on which WvW is different from open world PvP is that in WvW potential victims are prepared for combat and generally capable of fighting back.
People that insist on open world PvP and say WvW is not enough for them, do that because what they really want is to be able to attack unsuspecting and generally defenceless targets. Not because they want duels.

This about sums it up.
People who think they should be ‘rewarded’ for their ‘hard work’ by being able to sadistically gank people who are significantly weaker then them and have no realistic chance to fight back.
Sorry, I’m not going to support online bullies and people with little ego problems.

“If half as many people were half as brave in real life as they were online…
… The human race would never have to worry about be oppressed again.”
I think trolls should have their computers smashed. ’Its all part of the game. U mad bro?’

Pleurodesed.7625

Once again, I keep reading “ganking” as an argument.
I’ll repeat myself: what I’m defending is open pvp WITH a safe toggle. NOT a safe zone but a setting which says “I don’t want to fight” so you’re green to everyone else.

As for imbalance… not as much since people get downleveled to a zone.

Posted by: Ikorolch.8421

Ikorolch.8421

I really hope they add at least one or two servers in the future with real open world PVP, this won’t hurt anyone. The code is already there with WvW, you would just add contested territories. Unfortunately the majority of the GW2 community is categorically against open world PVP, for whatever reason, even though every other MMO has it. PVE on its own is just… uneventful.

Posted by: OneManArmy.9732

OneManArmy.9732

never happens. this game is about coop. play. I don’t want to ruin this atmosphere whee everyone helps each other.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Once again, I keep reading “ganking” as an argument.
I’ll repeat myself: what I’m defending is open pvp WITH a safe toggle. NOT a safe zone but a setting which says “I don’t want to fight” so you’re green to everyone else.

Why exactly is WvW not enough for this?

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Another duelling thread, in disguise.

As long as balance in PvE won’t be affected and PvP stays consensual, fine.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Pleurodesed.7625

Why exactly is WvW not enough for this?

WvW lacks questing and all maps are the same.
You can’t compare leveling your character in WvW to leveling it in the open world.
The PvE aspect of WvW is missing.

I’m already expecting the answer “Well if you want to fight go to wvw, open world is pve only”.
That’s a silly response.
What I want is BOTH. PvE + WvW. That would radically improve the game.

What does it take to do? There’s little resources needed to implement this.
What are the cons? Ganking? No! People can activate safe mode so they wouldn’t feel a difference from now.

So, little investment for a small change which would radically improve the game and has absolutely no cons. Why not do it?

GrandmaFunk.3052

impacts on and issues with the combo system, event scaling, mob aggro, performance.

those are the big cons.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Pleurodesed.7625

You’ll have to describe those issues with more detail, since they don’t look like issues to me at all:

• Combo system: It’s the same everywhere. Doesn’t even need to get changed.
  • Event scaling: Scales the same as it does now. No change required.
  • Mob aggro: The same as well.
  • Performance: Exactly the same. There are already teams so the performance remains untouched.

(edited by Pleurodesed.7625)

GrandmaFunk.3052

There are already teams

what teams would those be?

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Suddenflame.2601

Suddenflame.2601

The bigger question is why do you need a PVP server when there is WvW?
There isn’t questing in this game (only hearts and they are limited) so you can’t use that excuse. Both contain monsters, mining, and events. The only major difference would be that there is world bosses in the PVE servers. In those cases you would not want to have your PVP checkbox on (since that’s the largest suggestion here) as you would get murdered fast from all the AOE and miss out on the reward.

Basically, the only thing that you can do differently in a PVP server from the WvW server would be griefing low level players or griefing events. Either case is negative to the community.

Ranger; Warrior; Mesmer; Elementalist; Guardian; Engineer
[GWAM] and [LUST]
Mess with the best, die like the rest.

Pleurodesed.7625

As you can see, packs of wolves don’t attack each other but aggro anything else.
Another example could be ogres attacking a camp.
There are some “friendly to everyone” teams which can’t be attacked such as the black lion trading company merchant summon; which could be exploited to secure players with the “safe mode”

Beldin.5498

You’ll have to describe those issues with more detail, since they don’t look like issues to me at all:

• Combo system: It’s the same everywhere. Doesn’t even need to get changed.
  • Event scaling: Scales the same as it does now. No change required.
  • Mob aggro: The same as well.
  • Performance: Exactly the same. There are already teams so the performance remains untouched.

Gank Squads can simply harass all Meta Events since they scale the event up and even kill the players that want to make the event.

Since all skills work as open AoE skills it would also be hard to change that they can decide between targets that are flaged and those that are not.

In the end its just wasted developer time .. people who want that kind of game should simply play AION or whatever ..

maddoctor.2738

As you can see, packs of wolves don’t attack each other but aggro anything else.
Another example could be ogres attacking a camp.
There are some “friendly to everyone” teams which can’t be attacked such as the black lion trading company merchant summon; which could be exploited to secure players with the “safe mode”

Those “team flags” are not available for players though, they are only available for mobs. From a design side, adding a new variable for players might very well require a completely new field on their database (to hold the team flag) something that is certainly not as easy to do.

Pleurodesed.7625

The bigger question is why do you need a PVP server when there is WvW?
There isn’t questing in this game (only hearts and they are limited) so you can’t use that excuse. Both contain monsters, mining, and events. The only major difference would be that there is world bosses in the PVE servers. In those cases you would not want to have your PVP checkbox on (since that’s the largest suggestion here) as you would get murdered fast from all the AOE and miss out on the reward.

Basically, the only thing that you can do differently in a PVP server from the WvW server would be griefing low level players or griefing events. Either case is negative to the community.

By questing I meant the hearts and the events, also implying the size of Tyria and all the travelling.
When fighting with more people it is evident you’d need to uncheck the PvP box; but that’s the whole point of it.
The thing I’m trying to defend here is you’d be able to PvP in the open whilst simultaneously doing PvE.
With the PvP box you wouln’t be able to grief events nor players.
If you can think of a single situation in which you would be able to, please share.

Pleurodesed.7625

Those “team flags” are not available for players though, they are only available for mobs. From a design side, adding a new variable for players might very well require a completely new field on their database (to hold the team flag) something that is certainly not as easy to do.

How come not? Why would the devs decide to make such a terrible design decision?
How then do they differentiate the greens in WvW? It’s most likely that a camp shares team with its holder. What makes you think otherwise?