Could we get DX12 with the next expansion

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: gigamarkus.2109

gigamarkus.2109

Q:

Hi, I’m really in love with this game since its release and played a lot of time, although the performance is not the best with the current Direct X9 version.

Since HoT is released, and much bigger and more beautiful and lively zones arrived, i’m a bit concerned about the future of this game in case of the direct x drivers. The game is so powerful and the big boss events are so much fun, especially the dragons stand, but it feels sad, that even on high end PCs it can only be played at around 30 fps.

In comparison to other games it would be nice if you could work on a updated engine that supports DX12 (and still dx9 for those people with freaking old PCs). I could wait for this feature until the next expansion releases but it is really necessary for the games future. The performance could be much better and that would make these fights outstanding in the mmo genre. It woud be the best improvement by far for a lot of players.

So my question: Is there the possibility to give us DX12 support with the release of the next expansion?

Posted by: Ansau.7326

Ansau.7326

The bad performance on those fights is not related to dx9, but the game engine doing all the stuff happening is one or two threads, obliterating any cpu out there.

Multithreading of those threads is the answer.

Btw, dx12 has another issue, only is supported in w10. Its implementation it would only affect a small part of the playerbase.

Ansau – Sylvari Mesmer – Exiled Warriors [wE] – Gandara

i7 5775c @ 4.1GHz – 12GB RAM @ 2400MHz – RX 480 @ 1390/2140MHz

Posted by: Wilendar.1450

Wilendar.1450

ANet really, learn from your competition, TESO will gets DX12 support read here >> http://wccftech.com/elder-scrolls-online-dx12-upgrade-ps4-7th-core-usage-performance-improvements/
If You don’t upgrade your very old engine Your game beloved by many of us will die with natural death, because there will be better and far more advanced and optimized titles, like Black Desert Online, which look Stunning amazing, and looks better than most sinlge player AAA games today. Funny thing is that even Black Desert Looks Better than most SP game it runs a lot better than GW2, I’ve got constant 50-60 fps on max settings there, even in big fight. When in GW2 I can have drops to 10 fps on large scale events with GTX 970 !
Why is that? Answer is simple because of DX9, Windows XP unsupported system for a couple years now, and I’m asking You ANet why ? Why aren’t you upgrading your game to modern standards?
I bet WoW will get DX12 (becasue it’s support DX11 from couple years now) with next expansion, and How About GW2 ? Please release public beta dx12 client and let your community send you reports how it works.

Posted by: OneYenShort.3189

OneYenShort.3189

Maybe when Windows 10 (and apparently takes over the market completely. Dx12 means squat for most of us because of that very reason. Right now it looks like… maybe that comprises 25%-29%. I certain that gamers don’t make up the majority of that percentage.

Management probably looks at market share numbers. I do not know if GW2 reports back OS versions for them to make a determination that way.

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

Problem is simple, the engine Gw2 uses is a modified engine from gw1, which was a heavily modded unreal engine (directx 8 if I remember correct)

Having a modified engine which was modified for a game released in 2005 and re-engineered to fit agame in 2012 is a bit more difficut to upgrade then other more stock engines.

Even though I really want to see a directx 12 engine, I doubt it will appear soon™

If the only thing whcih is attractive about gw2 is the engine, have fun somewhere else, and If you like gw2 for the game you’ll be back.

I’d appreciate it if Gw2 would be modded, so we could use 4+ cores instead of the 2+1 now. but this is also an engine limitation.

We’ll see what will happen.

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

Wilendar.1450

Problem is simple, the engine Gw2 uses is a modified engine from gw1, which was a heavily modded unreal engine (directx 8 if I remember correct)

Having a modified engine which was modified in 2005 and re-enginered is a bit more difficut to upgrade then other more stock engines.

Even though I really want to see a directx 12 engine, I doubt it will appear soon™

If the only thing whcih is attractive about gw2 is the engine, have fun somewhere else, and If you like gw2 for the game you’ll be back.

I’d appreciate it if Gw2 would be modded, so we could use 4+ cores instead of the 2+1 now. but this is also an engine limitation.

We’ll see what will happen.

I’ll give you example about engine modification…
World of Warcraft uses modified engine from Warcraft 3 (RTS GAME !) and now it runs on DX11 and maybe soon on DX12
I’m just tired with engine limits and constant fps drops in big battles, when in other games like GTA5, Witcher 3 or Black Desert I have constant 60 fps (due vsync)

(edited by Wilendar.1450)

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

The issue some players are having will not be fixed with DX12.

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

I am a computer noob, what would be the difference if we switched to DX12?

Wilendar.1450

Much better graphics, like Physical Based Rendering, and much much better performance since any modern GPU can handle DX11-DX12 better than outdated DX9
just for your imaginations look like witcher 3 looks like and imagine that GW2 would look simmilar

Right now we’ve got worse performance than high end games like GTA5 or Witcher 3 or Black Desert Online

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

According to the devs it would be a much bigger investment than its worth. For someone like me with a 4k monitor, Windows 10, and DSR I could record 8k footage without any hiccups. I at least managed some 8k screenshots though but ever since upgrading from Windows 7 I can’t even get the game to stay in 8k. Maybe it’s a pipe issue and DOCSIS 3.1 routers need to come out on top of a Pascal or Polaris upgrade.

Maybe Vulcan would be better than DX12 but DX12 means the devs would have much more freedom and flexibility with graphics. It means they could give us all cape backpieces and not have them clip through charrs, it means less buggy (due to engine limitations) noble countess outfits with bowing and landing a jump, and able to access more cores for more FPS.

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

Okay, thanks for the info. (I think I need a new PC, lol).

Agemnon.4608

If you think you might you probably do. If your processor is older than Sandybridge then it’d be a good idea to replace your motherboard and CPU with a Skylake or wait for Zen or Kabylake. Like totes wait for Pascal or Polaris on the GPU front and if you don’t have an SSD buy one like yesterday. Go with the 500GB ones for a good price/performance ratio and SATA III bottlenecks at 550 MB read/write speeds and PCIe SSD’s are more expensive and even faster than that. SATA III SSDs are the new HDD’s and PCIe SSD’s are the new SATA III SSDs.

Oh, you so want liquid cooling for whatever processor you get. The radiator is much easier to clean with canned air and while a good Corsair cooler will set you back $100 it’s totally worth it.

(edited by Agemnon.4608)

Ayrilana.1396

I feel like I may be able to clear up some things here.

GW2 stays on DX9 and 32bit client which kinda.. lags a lot, and sometimes even crashes on huge battles/worldbosses (i see you Tequatl).

For the vast majority of players, the lag is unrelated to both of these.

All software have a thing called threads. You can think of each thread as a highway lane: They run in parallel, and they each perform different tasks simultaneously. They are what applications use to scale with multiple cores on CPUs, as each thread can only run on one CPU core at a time.

Each application has a thread known as the main thread. For games that thread is usually the thread that’s in the driver’s seat of the frame. It determines what to process and when on a higher level, such as “process OS messages”, “update the game state”, “process animations”, “send state to the render thread”, etc. All the different things that go into a game frame. The majority of game engines do some of these on a different thread, but in many cases the main thread still determines when it should happen.

So since threads are useful for scaling things, you’d think that you could simply create more threads and get more work done. But while it’s true that you have more computing power with more threads, threads also have downsides. For one, you cannot modify data in memory while another thread is reading that same data. In order to do this one thread has to wait for the other to stop using the data, meaning work is done in serial even if the code itself is running on multiple threads. To make matters worse, the OS is not guaranteed to put a thread back to work the very moment the other thread has finished. It can actually take a long-ish time (long being a very relative term). Due to this, software engineers are forced to properly design their applications to work well in parallel. Doing this after the fact is usually on the range of non-trivial to very hard.

Which brings us to GW2. GW2 does a lot of processing, and much of it is done on the main thread. That is also where its bottleneck tends to be: The main thread. There are conscious efforts in moving things off the main thread and onto other threads (every now and then a patch goes out that does just this), but due to how multi-threading works it’s a non-trivial thing that take a lot of effort to do. In a perfect world, we could say “Hey main thread, give the other threads some stuff to do if you’re too busy”, but sadly this is not that world.

As for DX9 and 32bit: Moving off of DX9 wouldn’t buy us a whole lot performance wise, as all interaction with DirectX is happening on the render thread, which is generally not the bottleneck. Moving from 32-bit to 64-bit also does not really buy us a lot performance-wise. There are some optimizations the compiler is able to do with 64-bit that it can’t do otherwise, but the actual FPS gain is minimal at best.

And about crashing on Tequatl: Here’s one case where a 64-bit client could actually help. Many of the crashes happening on Tequatl (which are still quite few, mind you) are cause of memory fragmentation. The bigger memory address space of 64-bit apps could help prevent that. This becomes more of a problem the longer you keep your client running.

I have intel i3, my friend got i7, which is waaaaaaaaaaaay better than mine. Guess who get more screen spikes? i7. Yes.

Without knowing more of your systems (and what software is running simultaneously to GW2) I really can’t even guess the cause of this. All things equal it should not be the case (though I’m not saying that it isn’t).

Oh, and also i heard that GW2 tends to use CPU, not GPU. What the..? :x

The CPU and GPU are good at different things. There’s no such thing going on as us using the CPU rather than the GPU. We use both, for the different things they’re good at. In simple terms, the GPU just happens to finish its work before the CPU does, causing it to wait for the CPU to catch up.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3ajnso/bad_optimalization_in_gw2/csdnn3n

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

Speaking as a softie, and with my tongue firmly in my cheek, I wonder why they don’t just compile with the “-dx12” option. Surely there can’t be any more to it than that….

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

Unreal engine was for FPS games If I recall correct.

Still I do not kow much more about upgrading (game)graphics engines except for the fact graphics engines are what make up the visual part of the game by rendering graphics from their respective flat models and the ingame “physical” world. If you use custom models and want to use them in a new engine the whole new engine part needs to be recoded to allow for a new engines use with the old structures . This has to do with possible newer ways of calculating, usage of instruction sets not previously available and other decodes and therefore the use of potentially improved ways of modelling and this makes just transferring the old ways of decoding just a shift up the Directx version but doesn’t add any -new- functionality to the engine, and it will not improve game functionality in the end, just a number chang.

You would end up with a directx 9 game with the functionality of a direct x 9 game being decoded by a directx12 script that cannot use any added stuff since it is not implemented anywhere in the game or the engine. Leaving the number change no benefit to anyone except some people who actually think it matters.

2 biggest bottleenecks of GW2:

• 2 cores
  • 1 core for graphic decode, little to no GPU rendering

Directx 9? Well it’s old but should be okay still

Improvements:

• multi core support (4-8) (do not mind optional 12/16/20(/24/32/36/40) either) increaing pipeline could be achieved by the directx 12 engine in this case (the reason why it was introduced.)
  • full GPU support for graphic rendering allowing the remaining about 150-170% of my sli-ed set of 780’s to finally start doing something to earn their worth..

Direct X 12 could improve rendering from multiple CPU threads if both the engine and the system would be able to support this, which is only so for the latest (post 2013-2014 GPU’s) systems , only when running windows 10 (2015), which was obviously not yet a concern while developing this game in and before 2012.

These 2 changes would likely improve the game experience a lot.

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

(edited by PaxTheGreatOne.9472)

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

modifying from engine is fine…
but the problem with anet is they did not improve the engine, at all.

they continue to use the old school game programming while more forward looking game studio already have parallelism in the mix.

even if engine didnt support dx12, the moment one start to implement parallelism into the engine, one will already see huge improvements.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

Posted by: lioka qiao.8734

lioka qiao.8734

I’d think that the reason ANET doesn’t move to Dx12 is the same as why my company doesn’t change compiler from visual studio 2008.

There’s no reason to upgrade something you don’t plan to take advantage of especially if the current solution is working well.

Upgrading to DirectX 12 makes sense if ANET plans to take advantage of the features in it. It can also introduce more issues (like client side crashes) because it is nearly impossible for them to test on every possible client PC configuration. If ANET has no plans to use the cloth simulations and the framerate is acceptable there is nothing to gain and potentially a lot to lose from doing the upgrade. It’s not worth it when they have issues with Dragon’s Stand to deal with.

The idea of Directx 12 is probably on a whiteboard somewhere in ANET’s coffee lounge (along with the improvements to the Music system i’ve been asking for) and maybe they’ll get around to it when there’s some downtime but for now I suspect they’re not messing with something that generally works well.

Little red Lioka

Posted by: ikereid.4637

ikereid.4637

The issue with the engine is that its control/master is single threaded. And they are putting more down that pipe then it can handle. Especially proven in the newer HoT zones.

Until they fix that, moving to any other API (DX12 or other) is completely pointless.

Desktop: 4790k@4.6ghz-1.25v, AMD 295×2, 32GB 1866CL10 RAM, 850Evo 500GB SSD
Laptop: M6600 – 2720QM, AMD HD6970M, 32GB 1600CL9 RAM, Arc100 480GB SSD

Posted by: Zok.4956

Zok.4956

(…)
Due to this, software engineers are forced to properly design their applications to work well in parallel. Doing this after the fact is usually on the range of non-trivial to very hard.
(…)
Which brings us to GW2. GW2 does a lot of processing, and much of it is done on the main thread. That is also where its bottleneck tends to be: The main thread. There are conscious efforts in moving things off the main thread and onto other threads (every now and then a patch goes out that does just this), but due to how multi-threading works it’s a non-trivial thing that take a lot of effort to do.
(…)
As for DX9 and 32bit: Moving off of DX9 wouldn’t buy us a whole lot performance wise, as all interaction with DirectX is happening on the render thread, which is generally not the bottleneck.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3ajnso/bad_optimalization_in_gw2/csdnn3n

From my experience with software-development, there are at least two types of developers: Those that explain with a lot of words why something is complicated and not possible and those that develop a solution.

What I read from his answer: The existing GW2-engine is not really designed for multi-threaded CPUs and if someone wants to optimze it, it is very complicated to do so and it needs people that understand what they do.

If there are no other developers at A-Net that have experience with multi-threade game development I would say GW2 will never be optimized and maybe it would be cheaper for the company to port the game to a new game-engine, what I believe will never happen with GW2. (maybe with GW3 or GW4…).

The optimizations (some of them) from DX11 to DX12 are mostly for games that are already running in multi-threads because in DX11 the “user mode driver” of the API was single-threaded and kind of a bottle-neck (because it could only be used from one thread) and in DX12 the “user mode driver” is multi-threaded and can be called/used from several threads simultanously.

So this DX11->DX12 optimization will have nearly no effect on GW2 graphics performance, because GW2 actually has only one “render thread”.

Nonetheless, I really would like a much better game performance.

SkyShroud.2865

yes, the game is mostly single loop
anet took the easy way out instead of having to deal with troublesome things like thread safe, isolation and work balance

the result is poor engine performance and limitations due to it. otherwise, we would have seen more large scale events and fancy stuffs with better engine performance. the game will be whole lot more enjoyable and accessible to pc (even with poor gpu but decent cpu (4 cores+))

im not that surprise of their decision to take the easy way out once you look at all the past decisions they made on game.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

How many people are leaving (or likely to leave) the game due to lack of Dx12 support? How many won’t buy it?

And then compare that to how many people are leaving (or likely to leave or unwilling to buy) the game due to other factors, including LS3, daily routine, event timers, gates & caps, difficulty (or lack thereof), perceived lack of ‘decent’ drops, etc.

It’s clear the OP is more interested in how the game looks than how it plays. I’m confident, however, that the vast majority of players prefer ANet to focus on gameplay.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

SkyShroud.2865

How many people are leaving (or likely to leave) the game due to lack of Dx12 support? How many won’t buy it?

And then compare that to how many people are leaving (or likely to leave or unwilling to buy) the game due to other factors, including LS3, daily routine, event timers, gates & caps, difficulty (or lack thereof), perceived lack of ‘decent’ drops, etc.

It’s clear the OP is more interested in how the game looks than how it plays. I’m confident, however, that the vast majority of players prefer ANet to focus on gameplay.

You missed the point.

He is complaining about the game performance and believed that dx12 will greatly improve the performance.

He then compare gw2 to a game with better graphic + performance. He then ask why a game has better graphic has a way better performance than gw2.

All in all, if you read the previous posts, you will know that the problem lies with how they design the engine and how the engine is not maximizing the use of the computer’s resources.

A good game performance will enhance the gameplay.

Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

I didn’t leave the game because of how it looked. I would have liked to be able to turn up the graphics on Mac without the game crashing every 15 minutes in WvW however.

I left the game because of how disappointing I was by HoT. In my opinion HoT lacks endgame content, it feels like they haven’t finished it and compensated by making everything a terrible grind. All the gold I had saved for a new legendary turned out to be useless, Tempest elite spec turned out as boring to play as I had anticipated and WvW, the only true endgame at the moment, is in a terrible state.

I’m looking into getting TESO on my PS4 and transferring my character, but it’s expensive atm and I don’t wanna buy that game twice (and all the expansions + horse) unless its a good deal.

Posted by: Rash.6514

Rash.6514

Not DX12, Vulkan guys, Vulkan. It is open source and not tied to any platform. It works even on Windows XP.

Posted by: Cobrakon.3108

Cobrakon.3108

Don’t even think DX12, Direct X Should Be Dead, Hopefully it will be. Why should Someone have to have windows 10 to use direct x12.

And that’s one of the many reasons anet wouldn’t do that. You would be cutting off your customers who don’t have DX12.

If your gonna go with the modern Low Level API as a company, you gonna go Vulcan. To many pepole hate Windows 10. Its time for Microsoft to lose total control of the gaming market.

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

Here is why they won’t. $$$$$$$ Same reason we don’t get a properly functioning Official forum. $$$$$$$$

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

Well said +++++++1

Posted by: vesica tempestas.1563

vesica tempestas.1563

Just to be Clear, ESO has good graphics, but the performance of the teso engine is truly terrible, its well known to be terrible, in fact if you go to the developer posts they regularly talk about the performance issues. They are frank about the problems they are having and how they don’t actually know how to fix the issues (it is suspected the modified engine is at fault, hence no fix in 2 years) If you go to the players forums it has been a huge issue, with rubber banding, crashing, single groups spamming aoe to bring down the server, it goes on. Client performance is not an issue in GW and Teso, so DX12 does little, its not addressing the issues at hand.

“Trying to please everyone would not only be challenging
but would also result in a product that might not satisfy anyone”- Roman Pichler, Strategize

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

You missed the point.

He is complaining about the game performance and believed that dx12 will greatly improve the performance.

He then compare gw2 to a game with better graphic + performance. He then ask why a game has better graphic has a way better performance than gw2.

All in all, if you read the previous posts, you will know that the problem lies with how they design the engine and how the engine is not maximizing the use of the computer’s resources.

And you missed my point: everyone agrees that better performance makes for better gameplay. But more ‘stuff’ in the game also makes for better gameplay. The question is: to what should ANet devote its limited resources? To improving the game engine so that it runs more smoothly? Or to working on things that people enjoy doing in the game?

I would argue that once a game reaches a certain level of performance, any mechanical improvements end up being less important to the vast majority of players than giving players more game to play (including QoL changes so increase the ratio of time playing vs inventory|gear management). Of course, none of us (including myself) have access to relevant metrics that would answer the question, so I might very well be wrong.

tl;dr it’s moot whether this is about Dx12 or the game engine, unless performance improvements will make a huge difference in how many people play (and buy) the game.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: ikereid.4637

ikereid.4637

You missed the point.

And you missed my point: everyone agrees that better performance makes for better gameplay. But more ‘stuff’ in the game also makes for better gameplay. The question is: to what should ANet devote its limited resources? To improving the game engine so that it runs more smoothly? Or to working on things that people enjoy doing in the game?

I would argue that once a game reaches a certain level of performance, any mechanical improvements end up being less important to the vast majority of players than giving players more game to play (including QoL changes so increase the ratio of time playing vs inventory|gear management). Of course, none of us (including myself) have access to relevant metrics that would answer the question, so I might very well be wrong.

tl;dr it’s moot whether this is about Dx12 or the game engine, unless performance improvements will make a huge difference in how many people play (and buy) the game.

I will say that HoT is pushing the boundaries of the Games Engine. They are starting to push to much data through the games engine with all the other stuff they are doing now (Layered larger Zones, at a very min).

Eventually the Games engine is just going to go ‘Pop’ and that will be that.

And I think its not too far off if they continue with content that is similar to HoT.

Desktop: 4790k@4.6ghz-1.25v, AMD 295×2, 32GB 1866CL10 RAM, 850Evo 500GB SSD
Laptop: M6600 – 2720QM, AMD HD6970M, 32GB 1600CL9 RAM, Arc100 480GB SSD

SkyShroud.2865

You missed the point.

Ermm, I stand by my point that you clearly missed the point. You were arguing about DX12 and graphics but TS was complaining about game performance while citing examples of better performed game. You were not arguing anything about performance.

Now, since you want to bring performance to your arguments, fine. You mentioned that people don’t buy the game and play it because of game performance (which you said graphic and dx12 previously /shrugs), sure, that is true. However, keep this in mind, people will get a “feel” of the performance the moment they start playing the game and thus this will affect the overall experience of the game. Like sirsquishy.8531 mentioned, HOT is more demanding than the vanilla game and slowly pushing the limit.

To give a idea how much a performance impact a gaming experience, if one’s FPS drop to like 5 in certain content, for example, WvW or some massive large scale event, that person most likely will start avoiding that content. How can you talk about gameplay when people can avoid certain contents because their FPS took a hit? So, if using your priorities, anet can totally give up making large scale events. Btw, I do know that people are running like 10 fps in raid, that isn’t even large scale event.

Now, going back to your priority again. I don’t know, all of them matters. A better game performance will means players will do contents that they stop doing because of the low fps. QOL and so on are also important, they have to find a balance. Regardless, they have to improve the engine performance if they want to continue to add more performance demanding contents.

Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

At the moment i play a game that runs on Unreal Engine with DX11 and in some
fights with more players it went down do 0.5 FPS .. so much that a higher DX Version
will magically give you endless FPS everywhere and all time.

And even when i port alone fast through some dungeons it sometimes a little laggy.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

even the 10-year-old game like LOTRO have renderer options in the setting… not sure why GW2 can’t do it…..

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

It boils down to money and manpower. Blizzard pulled in more income in one year than this game has made in it’s lifetime. With resources like that they could through an entire building of experience game engine developers at the problem. Also it was only the demo in 2001 that ran on a modified WC3 engine. By the time the game was released, the engine had been rewritten.

Turbine uses the same engine on multiple platforms so adding Dx10, which was done while their games were still subscription base, had multiple income streams. The Dx11 upgrade was trivial and virtually unnoticeable unless you knew exactly what you were looking for.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Hi, I’m really in love with this game since its release and played a lot of time, although the performance is not the best with the current Direct X9 version.

Since HoT is released, and much bigger and more beautiful and lively zones arrived, i’m a bit concerned about the future of this game in case of the direct x drivers. The game is so powerful and the big boss events are so much fun, especially the dragons stand, but it feels sad, that even on high end PCs it can only be played at around 30 fps.

In comparison to other games it would be nice if you could work on a updated engine that supports DX12 (and still dx9 for those people with freaking old PCs). I could wait for this feature until the next expansion releases but it is really necessary for the games future. The performance could be much better and that would make these fights outstanding in the mmo genre. It woud be the best improvement by far for a lot of players.

So my question: Is there the possibility to give us DX12 support with the release of the next expansion?

Untill everyone is using windows 10 no, probably not. Now if you where asking for a DX11, then that would have a chance of happening as it would probably cover almost all of the player base.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

SkyShroud.2865

Untill everyone is using windows 10 no, probably not. Now if you where asking for a DX11, then that would have a chance of happening as it would probably cover almost all of the player base.

They don’t really care about the DX, they simply believed that having better DX will result in better performance. All they really wanted is better performance.

Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

They don’t really care about the DX, they simply believed that having better DX will result in better performance. All they really wanted is better performance.

Yeah, sadly the game is as good as it’s going to get. Unless a complete overhaul.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: orenwolf.1953

orenwolf.1953

Switching to DX12 would kill the current Mac implementation, which may well be as large as group as the current DX12-capable folks

Other games do not have this limitation because they have a native Mac port, not a Cider/WINE implementation.

Posted by: GodOfWar.3624

GodOfWar.3624

ITT: People with Nvidia cards wanting DX12.

Nvidia performs worst on DX12. Check the benchmarks. Tried myself in Ashes of The Singularity. I lost 2 fps over DX11. GG Nvidia.

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Nvidia performs worst on DX12. Check the benchmarks. Tried myself in Ashes of The Singularity. I lost 2 fps over DX11. GG Nvidia.

You lost 2 fps on Nvidia in a game thats sponsored by AMD and coded specifically for AMD? Wow. Nvidia sucks :/

Anyhow, as others have said DX12 will give you nothing in GW2. Its crippled by its CPU performance, not graphics. To compare with something I have been saying in lots of threads, you can actually see the true potential of the GW2 engine in boss fights when something – I have no idea what, maybe stars aligning properly – bug out and make you go from 100 people on screen/20-25fps slugfest to the exact same 100 people on screen/60+ fps buttery smooth… for about 5 seconds, then its back to slugfest.

Posted by: Kraggy.4169

Kraggy.4169

ANet really, learn from your competition, TESO will gets DX12 support read here >> http://wccftech.com/elder-scrolls-online-dx12-upgrade-ps4-7th-core-usage-performance-improvements/
If You don’t upgrade your very old engine Your game beloved by many of us will die with natural death, because there will be better and far more advanced and optimized titles, like Black Desert Online, which look Stunning amazing, and looks better than most sinlge player AAA games today. Funny thing is that even Black Desert Looks Better than most SP game it runs a lot better than GW2, I’ve got constant 50-60 fps on max settings there, even in big fight. When in GW2 I can have drops to 10 fps on large scale events with GTX 970 !
Why is that? Answer is simple because of DX9, Windows XP unsupported system for a couple years now, and I’m asking You ANet why ? Why aren’t you upgrading your game to modern standards?
I bet WoW will get DX12 (becasue it’s support DX11 from couple years now) with next expansion, and How About GW2 ? Please release public beta dx12 client and let your community send you reports how it works.

So you play games not because they’re fun but because they have great graphics.

I see.

Basically, as others have said, DX12 adds nothing of value (you clearly don’t really understand gfx engines and why GW2’s is sub-par) and makes the game only playable by a minority of people who have swallowed M$’s propaganda about Windows 10 .. or more likely had it foisted on them because they were incapable of preventing M$ force-installing it on their Win7/8 systems.

Zok.4956

Playing a game that has great graphics is part of the fun for a lot of people.

Posted by: orenwolf.1953

orenwolf.1953

I’d argue that gw2 is, in fact, quite beautiful.

Zok.4956

In fact it is. Even its surrealism is quite beautiful at 4 fps.

But think about the beauty the artists could create with a much better graphics and game engine that has less limitations and more possibilities.

Attachments:

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

In fact it is. Even its surrealism is quite beautiful at 4 fps.

But think about the beauty the artists could create with a much better graphics and game engine that has less limitations and more possibilities.

At least it’s cluttered with effects, not squishy addon windows. <3

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: Burtnik.5218

Burtnik.5218

You lost 2 fps on Nvidia in a game thats sponsored by AMD and coded specifically for AMD? Wow. Nvidia sucks :/

Actually 900 series perform worse in all dx12 games (i have 970 myself) as the “direct 12 ready” was a marketing lie. They do not have features build in hardware and instead they try to emulate it via driver which causes fps loss. Nvidia – “the way it’s meant to be ripped off”

Salt, salt, moar salt. So salty like fries from McDonald!
Playing Smite since mid s2, f broken gw2.

Posted by: Distaste.4801

Distaste.4801

Actually 900 series perform worse in all dx12 games (i have 970 myself) as the “direct 12 ready” was a marketing lie. They do not have features build in hardware and instead they try to emulate it via driver which causes fps loss. Nvidia – “the way it’s meant to be ripped off”

You’re not entirely correct. The 900 series is not worse in all dx12 games. Even in the Ashes benchmark the 980 TI comes out ahead of the Fury X after they released a new driver. NO CURRENT GPU HAS ALL DX12 FEATURES BUILT IN. That includes both Nvidia and AMD. I’m not sure what you expected given that there is a handful of games that support dx12 at the moment and what? 2 benchmarks? It will take time for drivers and game devs to take full advantage of DX12. Wait until more benchmarks and games come out then decide if you think Nvidia or AMD is better for what you want to do. As of right now though you’re complaining about something you’re not going to be using for a good bit of time and things will have changed a lot by the time you do. It’s like judging a game based on alpha.

Posted by: Lobo Dela Noche.5127

Lobo Dela Noche.5127

According to the devs it would be a much bigger investment than its worth.

That’s what the devs and all the white knights said about the 64 bit client too. And guess what, the 64 bit client helped tremendously with the crashes. They make the excuses because they don’t want to do it not because it won’t help. They would rather spend the dev time on something they can market in the gem store.

Ayrilana.1396

That’s what the devs and all the white knights said about the 64 bit client too. And guess what, the 64 bit client helped tremendously with the crashes. They make the excuses because they don’t want to do it not because it won’t help. They would rather spend the dev time on something they can market in the gem store.

Source?

Agemnon.4608

They really said that about the 64 bit client? Helped me quite a bit. I think moving to Vulkan or DX12 would be great too but they have access to metrics and budget stuff that says it would’t be worth it :(