Could we talk about Tequatl?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Auvit.2970

Auvit.2970

I think its been long enough to say that the Tequatl encounter is no longer new and I’m wondering what people think now that the current state of the event seems to be the norm.

Personally I think its shown to be a failure. People said Tequatl was too easy and the difficulty was increased way too much in response. It seems like the only way to run it is with a large guild, which I guess some may find okay or even preferable but to me its disappointing.

Is it possible that an Anet employee has said somewhere what their thoughts are? Is the state of Tequatl what they really hoped for? Will it ever change so that a random zerg of players could jump in and at least have a chance at completing it?

What do other people think? Is the current state of the boss okay with you? Do you think there should be any changes, maybe minor or major? Would you like to see the other dragon champions put at this difficulty?

Posted by: Shadowmoon.7986

Shadowmoon.7986

Change timer to 30 minutes, 5 minute fix to make the event doable but still challenging.

Posted by: slurpey.6014

slurpey.6014

I think it’s fine. The only downfall is the loot. I think they should of made it more rewarding, especially for players that are able to defeat the boss. Teq was or is unique compared to other bosses around the game. It took more than a 8 player group and auto attack. I would love to see some of the other bosses change to that.

Posted by: pdg.8462

pdg.8462

Other than the wait time, I think the Tequatl event is excellent as-is. I like the fact that it requires a high degree of organization of a large group of people to be successful and even then it is still a challenge. I think Anet scored a home run on this one and deserves to be publicly recognized for it.

It does not necessarily require a guild, but having one seems to make things go smoother. The reason why I feel like a guild makes things better is because there are actual consequences to bad behaviour if you decide not to participate constructively… namely, getting kicked out of the guild. At least, that’s what happens in TTS.

Posted by: Deth.4109

Deth.4109

I think it’s fine. The only downfall is the loot. I think they should of made it more rewarding, especially for players that are able to defeat the boss. Teq was or is unique compared to other bosses around the game. It took more than a 8 player group and auto attack. I would love to see some of the other bosses change to that.

this is the biggest problem with him…..he basically never drops sunless weapons and takes alot of effort i mean at least an exotic or 2 at random (not super low chance) would be nice but theres really no incentive.

pdg.8462

I’ve participated in a Teq kill about 80 times and all I’ve ever gotten are a few exotics. I keep hoping for the ascended box, but I have not been so lucky yet. As I will never, ever craft an ascended or legendary anything (because I hate grinding), I see this as the only way I will ever have an ascended item.

Posted by: Deth.4109

Deth.4109

I’ve participated in a Teq kill about 80 times and all I’ve ever gotten are a few exotics. I keep hoping for the ascended box, but I have not been so lucky yet. As I will never, ever craft an ascended or legendary anything (because I hate grinding), I see this as the only way I will ever have an ascended item.

sadly fighting him over and over can only become grinding in it self which is far less tangible than crafting.

pdg.8462

sadly fighting him over and over can only become grinding in it self which is far less tangible than crafting.

True. BUT, I get all those greens and blues which I can break down for luck essences and then there’s all that karma! But you make a good point. It could be seen as a gind. But I think it’s a fun fight and I like beating the hardest thing Anet can throw at us (so far) so I guess that compensates for the “grind”.

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

Didn’t like him when he was new. Don’t like him now.

If there’s some thing that requires more than 5 people to accomplish some thing.

I’d rather not waste my time herding cats.

Posted by: wasted.6817

wasted.6817

I do it every day, the only annoying thing about it is timer and waiting around. It should be just fixed timer. It’s still very easy for a bunch of people who knows what to do, with some new tactics it’s even too easy now. I think it could be a good start if AN could/would fix the timer and organizing issues, implement raid ui and some party/group/event organizing instruments.

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

Please don’t we are all trying to forget it exists…so stop bringing a sore subject up.

Tequatl, ascended gear best just ignored…

Posted by: Melchior.2135

Melchior.2135

I’ve participated in a half dozen attempts, all failed. And now, he sits there until his timer counts down without anyone bothering to challenge him. I don’t think the potential rewards are interesting enough to make it worth the effort of finding a server to guest on where people still do this, much less use up a precious Guild slot.

As far as I’m concerned, the event revamp was a failure. It added nothing to my game, and took away something I previously enjoyed.

Former Guild Wars 2 fan. RIP, ArenaNet’s integrity.

(edited by Melchior.2135)

Posted by: mrstealth.6701

mrstealth.6701

I haven’t even been to that zone since about 3 days after Teq was changed. I have no desire to wait around for hours to avoid overflows or have people bothering me to be in a TS/Mumble with 100 random people. I rarely do any world events during the evening (US east cost) peak hours, so getting a successful Teq kill at the times I do go to these events is extremely unlikely.

This event pretty much requires you to play at peak hours and wait around so you can actually have a chance of being in the right instance of the zone for it. So I rate it as a complete failure.

Footsteps Of War [FoW] | Yak’s Bend
Seer Of The Divine | Sarina Starlight | Tireasa | Caedyra

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Leave it be for those who utilize it. Before “fixing” any other meta events, address the following technical issues highlighted by this event revamp.

• Condition caps make some builds useless
  • Large mob models being static
  • Overflows/access to the event
  • Waiting to have fun
  • Particle blur
  • Create an intrinsic failure condition rather than relying on a timer; timers make the event an open world dps check, which will often result in success due to players outnumbering the event

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

I think he should just give you tokens. Tokens will let you purchase Sunless weapons (but not Ascended boxes, those are still random), the rare breather, and also the minipet, along with some generic exotics and rares for those who don’t care about any of the above.

Posted by: Butter.3024

Butter.3024

Ehhhh, 15 mins was pretty manageable, it’s not that hard…

Posted by: Talissa Chan.7208

Talissa Chan.7208

Coolness – Just try mapping in as he spawns with no wait time then beating him all in one go with no organising.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Set up the encounter difficulty to scale meaningfully from 10 to 70 players. Likelihood of rewards also scale- the 10 man version has a 1% shiny drop rate, the full blown 70 person extravaganza has a 7% shiny drop rate.

Dragon champions – ALL of them – discard the timer concept entirely and use the already existing Siegerazer trigger tech: Any time 10+ players gather at the launch NPC and linger for a full minute, the event starts.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

30 Teq kills/day avg across combined 51 servers in past 12 days…….Maybe it’s just his bad breath keeping players away!

Serenity now~Insanity later

Posted by: daimasei.4091

daimasei.4091

Stack at foot, auto-attack, summon Embers, repeat 3 times, get loot…

So hardcore! -_-

Why fix the Necromancer for free when we can charge $$$ for the Revenant
-ArenaNet

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

The Teq encounter has both good and bad in it, but in my opinion more good. The only thing I dislike about it, is that the encounter is completely dependent on how good the guys on the guns are. You have six guys that make or break the fight…and that’s not necessarily good planning in my opinion.

On the other hand, a challenging boss that can’t just be zerged down is exactly what was missing from this game. You may not like the new Tequatl. You may not enjoy that play, but enough people do…and Anet needs to make content for all of us.

Posted by: Hamfast.8719

Hamfast.8719

The Tequatl event is unattended on the majority of servers. Most people have to guest onto other servers to play at all. In these instances, you need to get there at just the right time to avoid the Overflow and then wait.

The timer is bad because it’s unrealistic. Why should she just fly away all of a sudden? If that’s the case, then didn’t we win? Didn’t we repel her? She should stick around until she’s killed, or she accomplishes some goal (such as wiping out the megalaser and the batteries and/or all the turrets).

She should also scale in difficulty so the smaller or less organized servers have a chance.

Nothing is wrong with her otherwise. The new assortment of attacks and defenses are interesting and manageable. The hardest part is getting a big enough group, and then organizing it.

But until there is a change of some sort, the Splintered Coast will remain a Splintered Ghost on the majority of servers.

Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm all day.
Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm the rest of his life.
– Unknown Fire Elementalist

Posted by: mrstealth.6701

mrstealth.6701

She should also scale in difficulty so the smaller or less organized servers have a chance.

That’s that entire point of the scaling system that is supposed to be so important to this game. Why make such a huge deal about it, then completely ignore this system for one of the biggest events in the game?

Teq fights during offpeak times were already down to 15-20 players (sometime even less) on YB before this update. I don’t see how making the event require 80 players is good for anything or anyone. If the event can’t be completed on your home server, during just-off-peak hours, then the design is horribly broken.

Footsteps Of War [FoW] | Yak’s Bend
Seer Of The Divine | Sarina Starlight | Tireasa | Caedyra

Posted by: Angelica Dream.7103

Angelica Dream.7103

I’ve participated in a half dozen attempts, all failed. And now, he sits there until his timer counts down without anyone bothering to challenge him. I don’t think the potential rewards are interesting enough to make it worth the effort of finding a server to guest on where people still do this, much less use up a precious Guild slot.

As far as I’m concerned, the event revamp was a failure. It added nothing to my game, and took away something I previously enjoyed.

Well put.
I used to enjoy it too, now I never attend.

Posted by: Mojo.7986

Mojo.7986

I’m actually happy they did this. I went there everyday for almost a year, never more than a rare. The new and improved Teq broke me of that habit. Unless I need to make an ascended weapon (and no temples are up), I leave them all alone now. There is no excited feeling when the boss is about to go down that maybe I’ll get a good drop. They conditioned me that it never happens. I’ve never got an exotic off a world boss. Thinking at least 1000 attempts. Probably more. That is good for the economy, bad for satisfaction and motivation.

If the game has an economy, it is not guided by what is fun or a reasonable expectation of experiencing an ounce of excitement over getting something shiny in a years time, but what is economically viable. There is nothing they can do about it. PvE is not rewarding once you hit 80. You will likely never find a drop that is better than what you crafted (in terms of looks). PvE reminds me of Diablo 3. Tuned for the economy, your fun is to farm gold and buy from the small percentage of people that did get a drop.

Everything on 7 level 80 characters I have, I crafted or bought. I learned not to bother going into the hidden places of Tyria because I know there is nothing there. No sense of excitement of what I might find. Probably a chest with 2 blues. I’d bet money on it every time. You need to farm gold and buy.

Make no mistake, this game is run by an economist. That is why the recipes for ascended are what they are. 50 elder wood planks and 50 mithril ingots. What have we been farming mostly in the upper level zones for months? They needed to clear those out. Also why the spiritwood planks and deldrimor ingots have 10 to 20 of the lesser ores and woods. I am shocked we didn’t need copper and green logs.

At any rate, runs of bad luck should last a few weeks, maybe a month. Not a whole year. I will never go back.

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

I think Tequila is fine with the exception of the huge waiting time.

I am happy that people don’t go there and make him part of their daily loot-pinata slaying route because that greatly alleviates overflow and afk issues.

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

Posted by: Xale.1095

Xale.1095

I’ve yet to try this event but I really want to. So I guess my problem with it is that not enough people want to do it. I’ve checked out the area many times but no one was there. I wish more people were around to do group events and tequatl.

Posted by: Bezayne.6459

Bezayne.6459

The fight mechanics are fine. Putting a boss with mechanics like that down as an open world boss, on a random spawn timer, where a few unexperienced/uncooperative people can mess it all up for the other required 70+ people – very bad.

Posted by: yksdoris.2194

yksdoris.2194

I play on a US server (YB) from Europe. I do so because I want to stay in contact with friends across the pond, and this is one of the ways I can do that. Now, the US peak time is at 4AM for me. YB is not on top of the zerk-pole as servers go. I have never once beat Teq since the redesign because I’m only on during the off-hours, so even in the beginning there would be maybe… 20-30 people there, max. Now it’s none. Also, I don’t WANT to guest to a different server, it completely defeats the entire purpose of the game experience for me.

#ELEtism
Yak’s Bend

Posted by: rhapsody.3615

rhapsody.3615

I think the fight is a lot of fun. I haven’t killed him since they changed the timer- it’s pretty much a dead zone on my server. I don’t like that you pretty much have to be in a teq killing guild to get him (though I do appreciate whoever started TTS). The main maps are dead because this guild only kills him in overflow, thus excluding anybody who wants to hop in a day here or there.

I think they should turn teq into an instance/raid. People who want to kill him can queue, then everyone gets a notification to join the raid and it starts when the minimum number of people have joined and the raid leader starts it. This would solve the afk issue as well.

Posted by: Bezayne.6459

Bezayne.6459

I think they should turn teq into an instance/raid. People who want to kill him can queue, then everyone gets a notification to join the raid and it starts when the minimum number of people have joined and the raid leader starts it. This would solve the afk issue as well.

Nice idea!

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

The scaling needs to be changed so that he san be done with 30 players., plus it needs a pre-event. The Tequatl daily needs to be removed. Otherwise he is fine.

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

Posted by: MrRuin.9740

MrRuin.9740

The only problem with Tequatl is the huge window waiting for it to spawn. Cut that to at least half of what it currently is and it’d be perfect.

Tequatl’s not hard. Map I was on last night did it in 9mins. People just need to learn how and what to do. Main servers could do this no problem (and they did) if people would take the time to learn to do something other than stack at a dragons feet and auto-attack.
This goes for beyond Tequatl though. For example – how many lay dead at Golem, FE, Maw, etc…..scaling the event up and absolutely refuse to waypoint? Is that a problem with the event being too hard or the people being too lazy or stubborn to wp?

Vayne.8563

The only problem with Tequatl is the huge window waiting for it to spawn. Cut that to at least half of what it currently is and it’d be perfect.

Tequatl’s not hard. Map I was on last night did it in 9mins. People just need to learn how and what to do. Main servers could do this no problem (and they did) if people would take the time to learn to do something other than stack at a dragons feet and auto-attack.
This goes for beyond Tequatl though. For example – how many lay dead at Golem, FE, Maw, etc…..scaling the event up and absolutely refuse to waypoint? Is that a problem with the event being too hard or the people being too lazy or stubborn to wp?

This problem is exacerbated every time Anet runs Tequatl as a daily. Some people care about that single achievement point and they don’t care about beating the dragon. So they die, lay there and get their achievement.

In my opinion Tequatl should never be a daily for that reason. It makes it harder for people who actually want to beat the dragon to do so.

MrRuin.9740

This problem is exacerbated every time Anet runs Tequatl as a daily. Some people care about that single achievement point and they don’t care about beating the dragon. So they die, lay there and get their achievement.

In my opinion Tequatl should never be a daily for that reason. It makes it harder for people who actually want to beat the dragon to do so.

Its still ignorant on other peoples part to partake in screwing over an event for the sake of 1AP. You’re there for the achievement already, why not contribute and get the rest of the rewards?
Yes, the Tequatl-only daily should probably be removed and leave the Tequatl+any other world boss daily.

Posted by: SlappedYak.7489

SlappedYak.7489

There are some quick fixes (scaling, time limit, loot drops) that could make this fight more accessible, but I believe the major changes (and the hardest to implement) are really needed, not just in this aspect of the game.

The overflow system… “system” being a strong word here >.> what was meant to be an “emergency for beta” is now a staple part of the game in this big meta events. I seriously think that introducing “districts” (gw1 style) where you could CHOOSE and clearly see which overflow/district you were in, make it EASIER to organise attempts, make it easier to do things like guild missions, bounties, champ farming etc etc etc. It would improve so many aspects of the game.

The deepest problem is at the heart of their content plan; push new (generic and boring) content out every 2 weeks…and forget about the old stuff. They dont need to fix teq, they are distracting everyone with backpieces and mini pets… screw the permanent content! They don’t care, they are pushing this crappy living story way too hard. Good ideas but it has become a meta achievement treadmill and it’s SO DULL. The player base has given up on Teq too, I have seen maybe one teq attempt a day? and that is on SFR… I cannot imagine it EVER gets done on smaller servers :/ people have just given up on it, which is a shame, because it really was quite fun when I wasn’t dc-ing and getting booted into a kittenty overflow :PP

Vayne.8563

There are some quick fixes (scaling, time limit, loot drops) that could make this fight more accessible, but I believe the major changes (and the hardest to implement) are really needed, not just in this aspect of the game.

The overflow system… “system” being a strong word here >.> what was meant to be an “emergency for beta” is now a staple part of the game in this big meta events. I seriously think that introducing “districts” (gw1 style) where you could CHOOSE and clearly see which overflow/district you were in, make it EASIER to organise attempts, make it easier to do things like guild missions, bounties, champ farming etc etc etc. It would improve so many aspects of the game.

The deepest problem is at the heart of their content plan; push new (generic and boring) content out every 2 weeks…and forget about the old stuff. They dont need to fix teq, they are distracting everyone with backpieces and mini pets… screw the permanent content! They don’t care, they are pushing this crappy living story way too hard. Good ideas but it has become a meta achievement treadmill and it’s SO DULL. The player base has given up on Teq too, I have seen maybe one teq attempt a day? and that is on SFR… I cannot imagine it EVER gets done on smaller servers :/ people have just given up on it, which is a shame, because it really was quite fun when I wasn’t dc-ing and getting booted into a kittenty overflow :PP

What made you think the overflow system was meant to be an emergency measure for beta? I’m really curious. I was always under the impression that it was supposed to solve the problems of queues in other games like Rift and SWToR. I know I’ve spent two hours in one game waiting in a queue to play at all. I was under the impression that overflows were a solution to an existing problem (not to say they don’t create other problems that didn’t exist without them).

I guess the question is what’s worse…missing an event while being in an overflow that can’t do it, or sitting in a queue and not playing at all.

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

Leave it be for those who utilize it. Before “fixing” any other meta events, address the following technical issues highlighted by this event revamp.

• Condition caps make some builds useless

Absolutely. This is one of the biggest issues in the game in my personal opinion

• Large mob models being static

Disagree. They are fine

• Overflows/access to the event

Like it as it is. There is a reason we have overflow. If they add more people. lag will be insane, and everyone will complain more. Most other MMOs will put you in a que with no overflow.

• Waiting to have fun

huh?

• Particle blur

Definently need a slider to control particle effects.

• Create an intrinsic failure condition rather than relying on a timer; timers make the event an open world dps check, which will often result in success due to players outnumbering the event

I kind of like the timer, but I have to agree, this game is so geared towards DPS that we do not need anything else that promotes DPS any further then we already do.

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

Posted by: Cactus.2710

Cactus.2710

LOL. Suffering through Tequatl more than 80 times for much less than you could get in the same amount of time doing champ runs isn’t grinding?? Please tell me you don’t vote.

I emphatically hate the grind in this game, but I’m pretty certain that you could acquire all the mats (gather or buy using gold you got from selling gear you farmed) to craft an ascended weapon in the time you have devoted to Tequatl (counting both actual fight time and the time you spent getting organized for the fight).

D/D Thief who prefers mobility to stealth … so yeah, I die a lot
Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

Posted by: linuxotaku.4731

linuxotaku.4731

I couldn’t disagree more about loot. If the event isn’t fun, increasing loot doesn’t make it more fun — it just means you’ve added extrinsic rewards to compensate for the fact that the gameplay isn’t something you enjoy.

That’s exactly the wrong tack.

The event should be changed so that it doesn’t require camping in Sparkfly Fen waiting for the spawn. It would also be nice if it wasn’t a gear/DPS check — mandatory gear treadmills are lame. The things which actually make Tequatl hard aren’t things which are fun to overcome.

The mechanics are kinda fun, at least for a while.

My home world has killed him only 7 times; not surprisingly, I didn’t see any of those. (It’d be impossible for most people to do so, due to the map limit). I’ve beaten him a couple of times w/ TTS (when invited by someone in TTS, since they wanted more bodies in the map).

Posted by: Cactus.2710

Cactus.2710

I couldn’t disagree more about loot. If the event isn’t fun, increasing loot doesn’t make it more fun — it just means you’ve added extrinsic rewards to compensate for the fact that the gameplay isn’t something you enjoy.

^this^

And it is something that ANet refuses to learn.

D/D Thief who prefers mobility to stealth … so yeah, I die a lot
Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

^this^

And it is something that ANet refuses to learn.

Are you sure about that? It seems to me that the game at launch was more about event chains, meta bosses and dungeons, as well as WvW and exploration as being the endgame. The only real grind was obtaining a legendary. I seem to recall players abandoning any content that did not fuel their pursuit of a legendary (in other words, they farmed). I seem to recall players telling ANet they would not repeat content for fun, only for loot.

Posted by: rizzo.1079

rizzo.1079

I think most of us that are very disappointed by the removal of a fun event from the open world are just tired of posting about it, especially since a.net doesn’t seem interested in fixing the problem or even saying “It’s where we want right now quit QQing”.

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

Tequatl is a ridiculous joke to me. This big bad dragon that periodically sunbathes on the shore for 15 minutes and then leaves.

Part of the problem with having world bosses that no one fights is that they don’t reek the havoc you’d expect them to. I’d think that Teq would at least ravage the countryside if left unchecked. Instead he sits on the shore and then leaves.

So the question, to me, is, do you a) make him wreck sparkly fly fen until he’s defeated. I’m talking, don’t go in there you’ll be crushed type of stuff. b) make him easier to beat so that people bother. or c) increase the rewards to make it worth while to organize a group to take him down.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

MrRuin.9740

The event should be changed so that it doesn’t require camping in Sparkfly Fen waiting for the spawn. It would also be nice if it wasn’t a gear/DPS check — mandatory gear treadmills are lame. The things which actually make Tequatl hard aren’t things which are fun to overcome.

The mechanics are kinda fun, at least for a while.

My home world has killed him only 7 times; not surprisingly, I didn’t see any of those. (It’d be impossible for most people to do so, due to the map limit). I’ve beaten him a couple of times w/ TTS (when invited by someone in TTS, since they wanted more bodies in the map).

I agree with you. I was involved in 3 Tequatl kills today, even though I got less rewards for the two extra I did before reset. I don’t care about the loot, I find this a fun event/boss to do.

pdg.8462

snip
The timer is bad because it’s unrealistic. Why should she just fly away all of a sudden? If that’s the case, then didn’t we win? Didn’t we repel her? She should stick around until she’s killed, or she accomplishes some goal (such as wiping out the megalaser and the batteries and/or all the turrets).
snip

If undefeated, the dragon destroys all the laser and batteries and turrets. So she does accomplish the goal. Then she goes home.

Posted by: BioFringe.7945

BioFringe.7945

Tequatl
Tequatl
Tequatl

Nope. The word has lost all meaning to me.

This might have been brought up before but does anyone else get the impression that the devs were all drunk one night when one of them said…Hey pass the Tequatl.

Thus the name was born.

This sentence is false.

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

I enjoy it as it is. Doing him daily on a server which kills him about 6 times a day with just pugs.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: Silver.3284

Silver.3284

I think most of us that are very disappointed by the removal of a fun event from the open world are just tired of posting about it, especially since a.net doesn’t seem interested in fixing the problem or even saying “It’s where we want right now quit QQing”.

There are so many world bosses left as fun events in the open world, what does it matter if one is not like the others? I agree Tequatl may need some tweaking, but what is the point of reverting to the old version? So we can have 25 instead of 24 spam 1 loot chest fun events?

Posted by: cubed.2853

cubed.2853

Necromancers have a tough time looking for great weapon skins – the sunless set would be so great to have a chance, but it is so rare I dont think there isn’t really any except pure luck :/

it was written…