Could you fix Night/Day in Tyria?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Dirame.8521

Dirame.8521

It really doesn’t look like Night time when it is Night time in Tyria. The ground still looks just as lit up as it does in the day. It would be nice if it just changed to a more bluish/dark blue hue on the ground when it transitions from Day to Night.

My sister didn’t even know there was a day/night cycle in GW2 until I told her there was and she normally notices things more than I do.

I make guides to builds you may not have heard of;
http://www.youtube.com/user/ceimash
http://www.twitch.tv/ceimash

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I’d definitely prefer a darker night.

Posted by: Zeefa.3915

Zeefa.3915

Been saying this for a long time already, commenting on other topics on here about it. But no notice from Anet.
Mentioned it in my guild recently and someone said that some would complain it was too dark. But as I said then… it is not pitch black nights we are asking for (or at least not me), just a clearer more notable difference would do.

Life doesn’t stop being funny just because the dead can’t laugh.

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

yep, I never notice it’s night/day, unless I’m playing my sylvari …

Posted by: knives.6132

knives.6132

I want this to happen… Add weather effects as well, like storm…

Posted by: MidnightX.6294

MidnightX.6294

There was a night-change some months ago in the grove (and maybe somewhere else too?)
But i dont think that many people noticed it.

Attachments:

Posted by: knives.6132

knives.6132

There was a night-change some months ago in the grove (and maybe somewhere else too?)

but most of the areas are still too bright even without any artificial light source….

I think people didn’t notice the change (well, I didn’t too) since not everyone looks up… :p

Posted by: Agrios.1957

Agrios.1957

It would help some kind of icon on the UI showing day/night status.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Ha ha. I use my Plastic Spider mini to let me know when it is Day or Night. =)

Posted by: Syrpharon.7491

Syrpharon.7491

At least all those torches weaps or items would be of some use. What’s the point of having light from a flame if you’re not using it?
Think about the black forest in the Svanir’s Fractal. Now that’s something I’d want (a little bit brighter to make everyone happy)

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

but most of the areas are still too bright even without any artificial light source….

I think people didn’t notice the change (well, I didn’t too) since not everyone looks up… :p

Of course its bright at night. Sylvari glow in the dark lol.

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

Night time should be darker.
Imagine if you had to equip a torch. That would be cool.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Some areas are darker at night than others. The Fields of Ruin are noticeable darker at night that most of the other areas. If ANet could match that area that would be great. It’s dark enough on that map that it’s obviously night without being so dark that people are likely to complain about it.

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

I also hope, that we wil lget one day fionally real nights in GW2, that are so dark, like the dark part of the snowy forest in the ice fractal …

or liek the dark room in the obsidian Sanctum, where its literally so dark at night, that you don’t see anything if you aren#t standing either near a source of light or use a torch ..

Torches self should become by this change also finally a weapon, that should be useable by all classes!!! It absolutely doesnt require any class bound special skills or wisdom to use a torch!! Its a tool that can be used by everyone simply and so should it be also in GW2.

Anet even introduces the Flames of Kryta, which are a torch that can be used by everyone as a living story meta reward from Season 1 …

GW2 already has the real darkness ,that is needed for trustworthy dark nights, but I guess, the problem is reworkign all the light sources of the whole game what takes of so extreme much time for Anet…

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: Naus the Gobbo.5172

Naus the Gobbo.5172

Night time used to be much darker, but as with most MMOs it was taken away.

Look at the trailers, they showed a clip of Kessex Hills switching from day to night and it was fantastic.

Sadly I don’t think we will ever see dark enviroments in the open world, only in closed areas like caves and dungeons.

What we do in life echoes in eternity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zkT2uZAGA – GW2 – A world of wonder

Posted by: Beyreva.8769

Beyreva.8769

You should try lowering the gamma value from the default 1.00 to 0.80 . That would make the colours more vibrant and also makes nights darker.

I personally think that the game looks better with a gamma value of 0.80 instead of the default.

Do note that changing the in-game gamma value only works if you’re playing full-screen.
You can move around that bar, but I suggest you type the desired value instead.

If you don’t know where to go to change the gamma value, it’s
Options > Graphics Options > Display > Full-Screen Gamma

Sometimes it’s necessary listening to the silence, it could tell more..

Posted by: Bel Geode.8129

Bel Geode.8129

I want this to happen… Add weather effects as well, like storm…

I vouch for this as well. Darker nights, weather effects… Which we now know can be done with the advent of sandstorms in Dry Top.

I do like that it rains in some areas of Queensdale, Kessex Hills, etc… but more globally in the areas that look like they would get regular rain (and blizzards for the shiverpeaks) would do wonders for the ambience methinks.

Heck maybe even a new achievement to get all the vistas during inclement weather! Too much? Ok ok, maybe not that.

Find Bel Geode- THE Purple Norn on twitch tv.
“Doing The Dailies " Weeknights at 8PM EST.
http://www.twitch.tv/belgeode

Posted by: vifesprit.3514

vifesprit.3514

Why not adding during the night some glow and smoke particule effects on trash mob body parts ?
Foxfire is topical.

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

AC weapons are the definitive way I use to tell if it’s night or day.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: Domino.1359

Domino.1359

You should try lowering the gamma value from the default 1.00 to 0.80 . That would make the colours more vibrant and also makes nights darker.

I personally think that the game looks better with a gamma value of 0.80 instead of the default.

Do note that changing the in-game gamma value only works if you’re playing full-screen.
You can move around that bar, but I suggest you type the desired value instead.

If you don’t know where to go to change the gamma value, it’s
Options > Graphics Options > Display > Full-Screen Gamma

Thank you for the tip! Just tried it, although still not to the desired effect, looks great.

I also agree with this thread; more darker nights and less artificially bright ground would add so much more immersion to this game. Every weapon and certain armor pieces would look that much brighter and glorious.

Posted by: FrostSpectre.4198

FrostSpectre.4198

Yea, darker nights and a hud element that indicates wether it’s night or day!

Would be very nice to have.

I’m a casual PvE adventurer, I enjoy combat, adventure and helping, but not farming.
I rarely do PvP or Hard PvE, unless it’s organized.

Posted by: Grok Krog.9581

Grok Krog.9581

I like the night. It’s not SWG Dathomir. I don’t need it that dark to feel like it’s night

Grok Walking Amongst Mere Mortals

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

“Night time” is also far too short when compared to the daylight “hours” in game.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Posted by: Domino.1359

Domino.1359

I like the night. It’s not SWG Dathomir. I don’t need it that dark to feel like it’s night

Rori got pretty dark too…

Posted by: Bel Geode.8129

Bel Geode.8129

Oh but I LOVED that about Dathomir. Not to mention the creepy star wars music. Just being on that planet made me feel threatened.

Find Bel Geode- THE Purple Norn on twitch tv.
“Doing The Dailies " Weeknights at 8PM EST.
http://www.twitch.tv/belgeode

Posted by: saalle.4623

saalle.4623

Yeah dark in GW2 sux.Anet should really look up at Sony Online and see how does “Night time” look on EQ Next.In gw2 u can barely notice difference between day and night.Not just visual…problem is with sounds too.There is no night sounds at all,nothing.

Posted by: saalle.4623

saalle.4623

Agreed

Posted by: HHR LostProphet.4801

HHR LostProphet.4801

Hehehe, I’ll just leave this link here, you can draw the conclusions:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Let-the-night-be-nighttime-QoL/first

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Agreed

Which means that when using Firebringer and Rodgort, I’d be king of the night, muahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaa!!!

Actually freshing up the nighttime would make the GW2 devs able to add more endgame content without really adding any static content (like maps). Similar to how the storm event work in Dry Top, nighttime events could be level 80 events even in beginner zones. Just make the creepy creatures come at night…

Posted by: Sors Immani.8429

Sors Immani.8429

I’d like slightly darker nights and a more realistic day/night cycle, akin to WoW that OTHER MMO’s: Daytime is 6am to 6pm server time, night is 6pm to 6am, with daybreak and nightfall lasting from 5:30 to 6:30, am & pm, respectively (first 30 minutes of daybreak could be pre-dawn twilight followed by the sunrise for the next 30, and for dusk the first 30 could be the sunset followed by the moon(s)rise for the next 30).

Granted, this would probably require balancing night runes pretty heavily (if not outright removing them), but it seems more logical to me than the current 70/40 minute schedule with 10 minutes of neither every 2 hours.

Without going off on too far of a tangent, the dev team needs to slow down many aspects of the game, from little snippets of content every 2 weeks (I’d be happy for much larger content every month or so, and I’m sure others would too) down to the day/night cycle. I’m afraid that they’ll burn themselves out or “paint themselves into a corner” like they did with the original Guild Wars.

Homeworld: Dragonbrand—Necro main Sors Immani, leader of Ripple Effect [RE]
aka Thalakos Dralnu, Voxt Umultus, and Jalis Haafingar.
Vulgarity is no substitution for wit.

Posted by: Countess Aire.9410

Countess Aire.9410

Would love to see day and night cycles. Different creatures. Orr would remain the same. Other zones would have four timed cycles IE: Dawn you would have less night creatures like bats and winged horrors. Day would have bears and other day time creatures. Dusk fewer day and more night. The lighting would darken so night travel would require torchers and flaming swords to wander. It would mean day and night skills would be required to fight. Also dungeon skills would change also. Just my idea.

Posted by: Maliel.8362

Maliel.8362

I agree with darker nights but then again, not a lot of people look up in this game.

Posted by: rgraze.5169

rgraze.5169

I agree with some kind of night cycle and weather. I can never tell when its night time. Also the night cycle needs to be on a moving cycle so if you only play after work its not all ways dark out or vice verse. If they make it real dark thats fine or just make it more noticeable.

Posted by: Torvic.8256

Torvic.8256

Would the introduction of a GW2 darker night bring with it the introduction of a GW2 Dark Knight?

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

I prefer night time simply because my Sylvari looks best at night.

+1 for darker nights!

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Ettanin.8271

Ettanin.8271

Istaria (A game of 2003!) had an adjustable night time brightness. A technique used 11 years shouldn’t be that hard to implement.

Posted by: crouze.3078

crouze.3078

I agree that the nights should be darker.

But i allready chatted with someone from arenanet a year ago?
and the person said that the nights were darker in alpha/beta but they got bad feedback because of to dark nights and made them brighter.

And it sound like they wont change it.

Those were some examples i made to show how dark i’d like it to be in the night: http://imgur.com/a/g7yrx