Counterproductive Gameplay

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: The Holy Advenger.1758

The Holy Advenger.1758

Ive been a fan of the guild wars series since beta for GW1. And with all of the recent changes i must say gw1 still stands out to be far better. The PvP system alone was worlds better, and yes a split pvp and pve system is best since theyre not the same thing nor require the same style of mechanics… That should be pretty obvious. and now theyre going to be reworking armors, runes, and sigils. This is something that shouldve happened before launch. Not after you have an account full of toons. I have 8 lvl 80s and theyll all need reworked after this. They dont have a gear progression in game per say, but they keep changing and tweaking things to accommodate. And they have yet to do anything for the real players of the game. Not the casuals, or the ones who just log on and get their ap. This is a casual game. Nothing more. if you expect challenge then look else where, they expect people who legitimately (min maxers) to be on the same skill level as someone who plays once every 2 weeks. We need harder dungeons (fractals is a joke) etc. Actually high end pve content. Not saying DoA, UW, and FoW were high end but that is a start.

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

…now theyre going to be reworking armors, runes, and sigils. This is something that should’ve happened before launch. Not after you have an account full of toons. I have 8 lvl 80s and theyll all need reworked after this.

Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner!

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

now theyre going to be reworking armors, runes, and sigils. This is something that shouldve happened before launch.

If they were going to hold off a game until it was at perfect balance they would never release anything at all.

Balancing takes time, and it changes with every release, so either they will have to spend years for balance and never add anything at all after the game is released, or they would have to use the current system.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Inimicus.7162

Inimicus.7162

now theyre going to be reworking armors, runes, and sigils. This is something that shouldve happened before launch.

If they were going to hold off a game until it was at perfect balance they would never release anything at all.

Balancing takes time, and it changes with every release, so either they will have to spend years for balance and never add anything at all after the game is released, or they would have to use the current system.

well they did sit on this one and basically ignore gw1 for about 4 years before the betas fired up iirc

lordkrall.7241

well they did sit on this one and basically ignore gw1 for about 4 years before the betas fired up iirc

Yeah… except for War in Kryta, Hearts of the North, Winds of Change, Embark Beach, z-quests (mission, pvp, vanquish, bounty), Langmar quests, profession overhauls and so on.

Which is basically more than they released between Prophecies – Factions – Nightfall – Eye of the North put together.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

The mechanics. A “rework” in GW1 meant swapping a few runes out, rethinking your skills set, perhaps a new weapons set. Often a pvp “rework” meant nothing in terms of PvE. Armors, weapons, runes were, for the most part, cheap and basic in GW1, and expensive was skin only. Once you purchased a set of max level armor in GW1 you were set, stat wise, for the life of the game.

Not like here.. where swapping a set of ascended armor is a major expense and time issue. Not like here, where expense is tied up in stats instead of appearance unless you want to argue that blue is an acceptable substitute for rare/exotic/ascended.

Add in the fact that for many people, along with replacement costs of the armors there will be associated transmutation costs and possible costs of removing higher priced sigil and rune sets.

They are balance passing as if this were GW1.. and taking no consideration of the fact that gear grind wise.. it is not.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

Posted by: ceno.1584

ceno.1584

“This is a casual game. Nothing more.”

Couldn’t have said it better myself!

Which begs the question. Why, being a “real” player are you playing a casual game in the first place? You should have known this before you even purchased the game that it was designed with a casual player base in mind.

There is no real “end game”, nor is there a gear treadmill like some other mmo’s. GW2 is about fun and looks. You can take a break from the game and come back in 3 months and not feel like you have to play catch up or be on 8hrs a day because your gear is underpowered or outdated.

Maybe there’s another game out there for you that is a better fit for what your needs are.

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

Ive been a fan of the guild wars series since beta for GW1. And with all of the recent changes i must say gw1 still stands out to be far better. The PvP system alone was worlds better, and yes a split pvp and pve system is best since theyre not the same thing nor require the same style of mechanics… That should be pretty obvious. and now theyre going to be reworking armors, runes, and sigils. This is something that shouldve happened before launch. Not after you have an account full of toons. I have 8 lvl 80s and theyll all need reworked after this. They dont have a gear progression in game per say, but they keep changing and tweaking things to accommodate. And they have yet to do anything for the real players of the game. Not the casuals, or the ones who just log on and get their ap. This is a casual game. Nothing more. if you expect challenge then look else where, they expect people who legitimately (min maxers) to be on the same skill level as someone who plays once every 2 weeks. We need harder dungeons (fractals is a joke) etc. Actually high end pve content. Not saying DoA, UW, and FoW were high end but that is a start.

1 – You are suggesting an MMO should never have balance updates and fixes? You will never find an online game that does not balance things after launch. The idea that everything should be held down permanently before release is not a well-thought one.

2.) GW2 is not a casual game. It’s a game for all types. There is content for hardcore players and there is content for casual players.

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

Yeah… except for War in Kryta, Hearts of the North, Winds of Change, Embark Beach, z-quests (mission, pvp, vanquish, bounty), Langmar quests, profession overhauls and so on.

Which is basically more than they released between Prophecies – Factions – Nightfall – Eye of the North put together.

Statements like this leave me speechless. And probably infracted for stating so.

Hate to point out that the things you claim were greater than the sum of the original campaigns and expansion took place in those zones for the most part, and in the case of Z missions.. used the original content. Without the 3 campaigns and expansion, none of what you listed would have been possible at all.

Really hard to make an argument that add ons to existing content were somehow greater than all prior content combined.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

Posted by: Inimicus.7162

Inimicus.7162

Fairly sure those were all in existance before i took a year’s break from gw1 to try a different game, they certainly were not added in the 2 years or so i spent back in gw1 before gw2 released

And lest we forget, gw2 was announced not too long after eotn, so they were sitting on it for a very long time regardless of whether i recall dates correctly :P

lordkrall.7241

Statements like this leave me speechless. And probably infracted for stating so.

Hate to point out that the things you claim were greater than the sum of the original campaigns and expansion took place in those zones for the most part, and in the case of Z missions.. used the original content. Without the 3 campaigns and expansion, none of what you listed would have been possible at all.

Really hard to make an argument that add ons to existing content were somehow greater than all prior content combined.

I never claimed that they were greater than the sum of the original campaigns.
I talked about it being greater than the sum of everything added BETWEEN (as in, the time from release of Prophecies to Faction and from Faction to Nightfall and from Nightfall to Eye of the North).

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

lordkrall.7241

Fairly sure those were all in existance before i took a year’s break from gw1 to try a different game, they certainly were not added in the 2 years or so i spent back in gw1 before gw2 released

And lest we forget, gw2 was announced not too long after eotn, so they were sitting on it for a very long time regardless of whether i recall dates correctly :P

War in Kryta was released after Eye of the North (about three years after even) and Eye of the North was released less than 5 years before the start of the Beta of GW2.

War in Kryta was the first of the Beyond content, with the other things I mentioned added after that, which means it was very much within the time-line of 4 years prior to GW2 beta, where you claimed they did nothing at all.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Razor.9132

Razor.9132

Except what they’re doing has absolutely nothing to do with the actual balance. It’s a cheap attempt to “fix” poorly designed/implemented content, instead of improving the actual state of the content.

The “damage is over the top” was a poor excuse thrown at people who fail to see (or just don’t bother to) the bigger picture, and guess what? Most of them bought it – same people who think that berserker builds are the problem with PvE.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Except what they’re doing has absolutely nothing to do with the actual balance. It’s a cheap attempt to “fix” poorly designed/implemented content, instead of improving the actual state of the content.

The “damage is over the top” was a poor excuse thrown at people who fail to see (or just don’t bother to) the bigger picture, and guess what? Most of them bought it – same people who think that berserker builds are the problem with PvE.

So you’ve seen the full extent of what they’re doing?

Because saying so without seeing it is, in my opinion, premature.

Posted by: Turtle Dragon.9241

Turtle Dragon.9241

…now theyre going to be reworking armors, runes, and sigils. This is something that should’ve happened before launch. Not after you have an account full of toons. I have 8 lvl 80s and theyll all need reworked after this.

Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner!

Horizontal Progression at its finest!

Posted by: Pip.2094

Pip.2094

The mechanics. A “rework” in GW1 meant swapping a few runes out, rethinking your skills set, perhaps a new weapons set. Often a pvp “rework” meant nothing in terms of PvE. Armors, weapons, runes were, for the most part, cheap and basic in GW1, and expensive was skin only. Once you purchased a set of max level armor in GW1 you were set, stat wise, for the life of the game.

Not like here.. where swapping a set of ascended armor is a major expense and time issue. Not like here, where expense is tied up in stats instead of appearance unless you want to argue that blue is an acceptable substitute for rare/exotic/ascended.

Add in the fact that for many people, along with replacement costs of the armors there will be associated transmutation costs and possible costs of removing higher priced sigil and rune sets.

They are balance passing as if this were GW1.. and taking no consideration of the fact that gear grind wise.. it is not.

I honestly think that those costs for removing sigils and runes, to transmute and so on are exactly the point, if you consider those are all Gem Store items. Am I the only one thinking there is quite a bound between these facts? How many people will spend money to trasmute and so on? An armor is 6 fine transmutation stones, I also doubt that it is a case that these new ascended armors look so less appealing than the other armors in game. I think the problem that occurred in the passage from Gw1 to Gw2 is greediness.

\||||||/
O°v°O

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

GW1 has nothing to do with what you are talking about, the GW1 meta changed far more drastically, and often than our current meta, they even added new classes, with a sub job system that alone altered a great many things.

As far as UW DoA FoW, keep in mind all of these was soloable, most with prebuilt autowin hero teams by the end. People had more trouble with these dungeons, until they learned how to exploit them.

now you may have some points in general, but GW1 is a very poor example of the things you are talking about

Posted by: The Holy Advenger.1758

The Holy Advenger.1758

gw1 is a perfect example. yes all high end areas are solo in gw1, oh wait… dont they sell paths in gw2 where the person SOLO’ed the dungeon???? yes they do. And yes some of them actually do it without exploiting. The meta in gw1 changed often yes because of THE DIVERSITY. which gw2 severely lacks. i absolutely love this game, its the unnecessary changes there making instead of focusing on other things like more dungeons or areas to explore, with multiple “high end” areas. Im sure this will all come with time and im impatient and with the new living story coming into play im hopeful these changes come. and auto win hero teams? LAWL you still had to know how to use them properly espeically in those areas. and noticed i said " Not saying DoA, UW, and FoW were high end but that is a start." yeaaaaaa… There was at least REASONS to do them except chump change….