Crafting?

Crafting?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Giobonello.2530

Giobonello.2530

I am back to GW2 after a 2-year break. I am wondering if crafting is viable now for gold making as it wasn’t that great a few years ago. With that said, if there are viable crafts, may you suggest the best ones currently? Thanks.

Crafting?

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Crafting is just as viable as it always was. Many people make good money from it, although the easiest is to refine and sell time-gated ascended mats.

There’s no “best one”, because it varies with the market. Check out gw2profits.com — it has a widget that will figure out the most profitable things to craft with any ingredients you select. Even slicker, if you provide your secure API key (instructions on the site), it will use your material storage to determine the most profitable things you can make.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Crafting?

Giobonello.2530

Crafting is just as viable as it always was. Many people make good money from it, although the easiest is to refine and sell time-gated ascended mats.

There’s no “best one”, because it varies with the market. Check out gw2profits.com — it has a widget that will figure out the most profitable things to craft with any ingredients you select. Even slicker, if you provide your secure API key (instructions on the site), it will use your material storage to determine the most profitable things you can make.

Thanks!

Crafting?

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

It’s very difficult as margins are thin and it changes a lot.

The safest things to do are elonian leather/deldrimor (also spiritwood, but very unreliable) but that’s time gated and thus why a profit in the first place, and if you have tons of the HoT t7 mats and obsidians shards which don’t do anything for people like me, jeweled patches are a way to turn them into gold. You generally will make more than just selling the materials though.

Chef also has potential for stuff as there are many options. These are often much more high risk (and high reward)

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Crafting?

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Eh, margins can be substantial, too. The problem is that anyone can craft and anyone has access to the same tools to seek out profitable opportunities. So while it’s easy enough to find something that generates a gold of profit quickly, it’s more difficult to find the multiple opportunities.

For the OP, another source of profit-through-mats comes from the mystic forge.
I prefer GW2 Shinies, although many people use GW2 Efficiency (and plenty of other sites have similar tools, including GW2 Profits). You can earn a few gold promoting jute into wool or gold ingots into platinum, for example.

Crafting?

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Eh, margins can be substantial, too. The problem is that anyone can craft and anyone has access to the same tools to seek out profitable opportunities. So while it’s easy enough to find something that generates a gold of profit quickly, it’s more difficult to find the multiple opportunities.

That’s exactly my point. You’re going to be looking at the same sites other people are, and if you’ve thought of something that means someone else has thought of it, probably before you have. And some people devote a lot of time to this.

That doesn’t mean you can’t turn a profit, but it does mean a casual effort is going to range from somewhere to marginal to risky.

I don’t want to spread the idea that you can print gold with it, but it certainly is viable.

The tl;dr is that your edge is found against people that spend less time researching on this than you. Thankfully, that’s more than enough. But it also means that going into a crowded place with people that you don’t have a clear edge over is going to result in problems. This is why one can’t just read “xxxTPagentxxx’s guide to getting rich” as easy, and often times it ends up as snake oil. Not to mention this is kind of a long run thing, and it is hard to perceive results.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Crafting?

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Ah ok, fair enough. We were using “margin” differently, with the same tl;dr: you can make money from it, if you’re willing to do the research.

Crafting?

Posted by: Grimwolf.7163

Grimwolf.7163

Once you reach 400, there are plenty of recipes that can turn a profit. The problem I have is actually getting stuff to sell because of aggressive undercutting. Adjusting your own price will cut into profits because of the listing fee, and then you’ll just get undercut 12 more times anyway.
It’s the reason so many items have nearly identical buy/sell bid rates, or sell for at or below cost of crafting

Crafting?

Posted by: logan.5846

logan.5846

“If it were that easy..”

You’ll almost always make more money simply selling the mats than you would crafting anything. Nothing has changed much in that regard.

Crafting?

Giobonello.2530

Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond. One other question I have is scribe crafting. My new guild has a terrific guild hall and I would like to contribute. Was wondering if there is any profit in doing that as well.

Crafting?

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond. One other question I have is scribe crafting. My new guild has a terrific guild hall and I would like to contribute. Was wondering if there is any profit in doing that as well.

Short story: it’s not significantly different from the other crafts, as far as personal profit.

Scribe costs around 350 gold to max. If you want some of your training to benefit the guild, the cost will be a bit more (and worth it, since in effect, your training costs also become a donation to the guild).

Scribe, like the other crafts, also has profitable niches. But, like the other crafts, anyone can make them. So the competition is strong.

That said, a knowledgeable scribe can save the guild a lot, especially when it comes to building WvW buffs, some decorations, and the like.