Crafting "Backpacks"

Crafting "Backpacks"

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

This might get moved, might not. We’ll see.

So, the most recent blog “Crafter’s Tool” tells us that crafting backpacks are coming. From my understanding China has these, and I know several have expressed a desire for them, but I just find myself asking….. why?

While I know the completionist in me would make them just to “have” them in my wardrobe, I can’t actually ever see myself using something like this for cosmetic purposes. I am sort of hoping (though it’s probably unrealistic) that these sort of function like a mobile crafting workbench after completion to make them worthwhile.

Your thoughts on it?

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Crafting "Backpacks"

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

I’m one of those excited to finally see us getting these. I probably won’t use 99% of them, but I love having more back options.

Crafting "Backpacks"

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I don’t mind having more back options, but it sort of feels like that’s all they’ve been releasing recently. It would be nice if some of them had a solid functionality to make them desirable, other than just being a new skin. To me they’re … kind of ‘meh.’ I know a lot of people don’t feel the same, and that’s fine, but I like what they did with Mawdrey. It has a reason for you to build it, even if you don’t like it, which I thought was nifty.

I guess I’m just less than enthused with “more back pieces.”

Crafting "Backpacks"

Posted by: Crise.9401

Crise.9401

I think backpieces that are not wings, plants or other odd contraptions but something more normal are a welcome addition to this game.

I don’t see myself using them but they are a nicer change of pace from all these back items that make no sense for you to have on your back whatsoever.

Crafting "Backpacks"

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

So they don’t do anything? just look pretty? Or do they allow for portable crafting stations to be dropped wherever you may be?

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Crafting "Backpacks"

Posted by: Piogre.2164

Piogre.2164

I guess I’m just less than enthused with “more back pieces.”

I’d be more enthusiastic for back pieces if you could see them through my hobo sack. This bit right here would have been a great place for them to announce that they were doing away with those. Oh well, maybe next year.

[VIG], SoR
Main: Asuran Engineer — Alt 80’s Ra-T-M-G-El-N-W-En-En-Re-Ra
Doctorate in Applied Jumping

Crafting "Backpacks"

Crise.9401

So they don’t do anything? just look pretty? Or do they allow for portable crafting stations to be dropped wherever you may be?

The portable crafting station thing is an over the top rumor. Common sense says that them functioning like that would be too much utility, because portable crafting station also functions as a portable bank (unless they function differently to normal crafting stations in this regard). Look at how much permanent bank access costs on TP, it would absolutely destroy the value of these items.

Crafting "Backpacks"

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

With the inclusion of the Chinese crafting backpacks, I can only hope that tomorrow they do not announce the Chinese personal story changes.

Crafting "Backpacks"

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

I feel the same way about you, but for different reasons.

Whenever I see a nice skin that they have released, especially when it’s something like a weapon or a backpiece, I feel like I will never wear it. Because there is no way that I’m going to replace my Eternity with a Ley Line greatsword or my fractal capacitor with a crafting backpiece. I can’t ‘downgrade’ because I feel like I’m wasting money.

I think these new skins are more for the general playerbase or up and coming players (that is the theme of today’s reveal). Having more options doesn’t hurt I suppose

Crafting "Backpacks"

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

The portable crafting station thing is an over the top rumor. Common sense says that them functioning like that would be too much utility, because portable crafting station also functions as a portable bank (unless they function differently to normal crafting stations in this regard). Look at how much permanent bank access costs on TP, it would absolutely destroy the value of these items.

But portable crafting stations DO exist. http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Consortium_Mobile_Crafting_Station
But that doesn’t mean they need to have bank access. Collection access yes, bank, not so much. But I don’t see the need for a backpack unless it offers an extra 20 slot storage space or something. I never did go for the cosmetic and shiney things in the gem store.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Crafting "Backpacks"

LanfearShadowflame.3189

If they functioned like a typical crafting station, yes, it might be a bit much. But I could see them removing the bank access from the mobile station if it were an issue.

Although we already have precedence in the game for mobile stations (guild upgrades and the consortium stations) and I believe those function just like typical crafting stations. These ones would just be personal, similar to personal banker golems. It would give people a reason to use / carry them at the very least.

Crafting "Backpacks"

Posted by: Vavume.8065

Vavume.8065

I was hoping for something exciting today when they said there would be new items that are able to be crafted by each proffesion, but this, BACKPACKS! is not exciting at all, another anti climax blog post. /sigh

Crafting "Backpacks"

Posted by: Zardul.3952

Zardul.3952

just gonna be another Skin dump.
nothing new for this.

wheres our Guild capes?

Main: lvl 80 Ranger ,
Alt: lvl 80 Mesmer

Crafting "Backpacks"

Crise.9401

If they functioned like a typical crafting station, yes, it might be a bit much. But I could see them removing the bank access from the mobile station if it were an issue.

Although we already have precedence in the game for mobile stations (guild upgrades and the consortium stations) and I believe those function just like typical crafting stations. These ones would just be personal, similar to personal banker golems. It would give people a reason to use / carry them at the very least.

You make some good arguments, but still I’ll advice not to get your hopes up and temper your expectations. The blog post says something about combat utility or some such I think, portable crafting stations couldn’t be used in combat so I have no clue what they could be referring to… I simply find portable crafting a bit too good to be true, even if you could not withdraw anything through them (ie. only have access to discovery and recipes tabs which can still use mats from bank and collectibles but can’t be used to withdraw anything afaik).

Crafting "Backpacks"

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

I think they are a neat addition to the crafting disciplines – a way to craft back items for leveling characters and new skins in the process. Win-win.

Or words to that effect.

Crafting "Backpacks"

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

With the inclusion of the Chinese crafting backpacks, I can only hope that tomorrow they do not announce the Chinese personal story changes.

What where the personal story changes in China?

Crafting "Backpacks"

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

I feel the same way about you, but for different reasons.

Whenever I see a nice skin that they have released, especially when it’s something like a weapon or a backpiece, I feel like I will never wear it. Because there is no way that I’m going to replace my Eternity with a Ley Line greatsword or my fractal capacitor with a crafting backpiece. I can’t ‘downgrade’ because I feel like I’m wasting money.

I think these new skins are more for the general playerbase or up and coming players (that is the theme of today’s reveal). Having more options doesn’t hurt I suppose

this is a flaw with transmutation per charge versus unlocks. IMO unlocks was the best bet, even if it costs transmutation charges the first time. As you say, people arent going to delve deeply into alternate cosmetics as long as they must consider going back to their old looks.

This crafters backpack especially, is the type of thing you might want to wear sometimes, not all the time.

Crafting "Backpacks"

Posted by: Zardul.3952

Zardul.3952

yeah they must be working hard to implement new stuff … oh wait they already made it for China.

so what exactly are they working on if its already in china release?

[ Anet Logic] /facepalm

Main: lvl 80 Ranger ,
Alt: lvl 80 Mesmer

Crafting "Backpacks"

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

So because you can’t forsee ever using any of these backpacks for the visuals, you question why anyone else could possibly want them either? That’s a bit self-centered, don’t ya think?

More visual options are nice. Especially since a large majority of the current back items have little to no bearing on actual character ability or anything like that, I think these fill a niche. Not to imply these are “better” than any of the other backs or anything like that, there’s nothing wrong with back items that look cool just for the sake of looking cool, but I think its definitely nice that there will be some more practical ones with relation to character ability as well. Its nice to have a mix.

As far as needing some grand purpose in order for you to feel more excited to craft them… eh, I don’t see the need for that personally. Wanting to craft something for the visual alone is what most of the items in the game have, and that’s fine. I’d rather someone want to build something for the visual (or not want to build it) than feel “forced” to build an item for a unique functionality.

Crafting "Backpacks"

LanfearShadowflame.3189

You make some good arguments, but still I’ll advice not to get your hopes up and temper your expectations. The blog post says something about combat utility or some such I think, portable crafting stations couldn’t be used in combat so I have no clue what they could be referring to… I simply find portable crafting a bit too good to be true, even if you could not withdraw anything through them (ie. only have access to discovery and recipes tabs which can still use mats from bank and collectibles but can’t be used to withdraw anything afaik).

No worries, I’m relatively laid back when it comes to expectations. Thus why in my initial post, I pointed out that I know it’s probably not realistic.

With the whole combat utility thing, yeah no clue. I guess we just see if they elaborate and if not, then we just see what we get on the 9th.

Either way, I’ll still end up making them, just because the little completionist demon inside says “well, we might find a use for it” Kind of like with that pom pom from my senior year that I just couldn’t throw away….

Crafting "Backpacks"

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

If I’m not wrong, the pace of the story is better in the chinese version, because all instances of each story’s arc are grouped together in level range.

In other words, you won’t need to interrupt your story’s arc halfway because the next instance won’t demand you to level up 3 times first anymore.

Crafting "Backpacks"

LanfearShadowflame.3189

So because you can’t forsee ever using any of these backpacks for the visuals, you question why anyone else could possibly want them either? That’s a bit self-centered, don’t ya think?

It wasn’t a “why do you like them.” It was more of a general “why”? More of a what was the thought process behind this. I wasn’t trying to come off as self centered. If I was going that route, I’d have simply called them fugly and wouldn’t have bothered to ask anyone else’s thoughts on the matter. Cause, well, that’s how I am.

More visual options are nice. Especially since a large majority of the current back items have little to no bearing on actual character ability or anything like that, I think these fill a niche. Not to imply these are “better” than any of the other backs or anything like that, there’s nothing wrong with back items that look cool just for the sake of looking cool, but I think its definitely nice that there will be some more practical ones with relation to character ability as well. Its nice to have a mix.

I don’t disagree that more visual options are nice, but why back packs? We do have a lot of them. Yes a lot of them are frilly, but we need other armor components too. Not just new back items. These don’t have any bearing on character ability either. They make the statement that you leveled a specific craft to a specific level, but where’s the big deal in that? Using an ascended weapon, armor, or back piece tends to imply similar.

You’re right its not bad to have practical looking ones, or to have more of a mix. No where have I said we shouldn’t have them, though perhaps now was just a bad time to throw them out there.

As far as needing some grand purpose in order for you to feel more excited to craft them… eh, I don’t see the need for that personally. Wanting to craft something for the visual alone is what most of the items in the game have, and that’s fine. I’d rather someone want to build something for the visual (or not want to build it) than feel “forced” to build an item for a unique functionality.

I can understand the feeling “forced” to do something, and it’s a valid complaint. I just thought what they did with Mawdrey was different, and kind of neat. I actually hadn’t planned on making it until I read about that feature. So, I could see them doing something neat like that with these. For people that don’t craft, they won’t really care about that function. For people that have been asking for some type of personal mobile crafting station, it could appease them.

It was just a thought. Obviously, it’s not really a “huge” deal to me either way.

Crafting "Backpacks"

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

Crise, guilds have normal backpack pieces and I never see them used, and more than half the population seem to be using the various wings still.

In any case we already get new back pieces every event, how about I dunno more unique shoulder pieces or gloves? Update seems to be for the first time levelers maybe, I used crafting to level characters while trying not waste mats on extra items I can easily out level in a couple hours.

I also don’t plan on leveling for the twenty-third time, nevermind more than the six 80’s I already got, so account bound leveling items mean nothing to me. Fixing traits back down to level 11 than 30 would have done more for leveling problems.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
ā€œGame over man, Game Over!ā€ ā€“ RIP Bill

Crafting "Backpacks"

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

I love this change and it is a move in a direction I talked about many times on this forum.

I do hope it does not stay by backpacks, there should be many fun items (being it backpacks, mini’s, instruments and other fun funny nice maybe useful, joky items) for all crafting disciplines. Thats what makes crafting fun to me.

In pretty much all MMO’s I have played so far crafting was one of my main activities, it was fun to go into the world collect recipe’s and make all those nice items. In GW2 I haven’t even crafted one discipline to the max level because it’s so kitten boring. What do you craft for? Mainly to get to level 400 or level 500 to then make the items you might want (legendary or ascended). Thats just boring while crafting can be fun.

This backpack crafting is just a small step in that direction, they need to make more of those items and also hide recipe’s for many of those items all over the world and hide one special item you need to that one specific item (for some of the items) also somewhere in the world. Now exploring the world to collect all these things becomes fun, then crafting becomes fun.

So I do this is a great change especially if also ArenaNet does see this as a minor step and what to expand this much more in upcoming patches. If not it would be to little but at least it’s a step in the right direction!

Crafting "Backpacks"

Posted by: Luna.9640

Luna.9640

I have a Cooking backpack concept.

Attachments:

Crafting "Backpacks"

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

I have a Cooking backpack concept.

Sourdough please

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Crafting "Backpacks"

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

So, the most recent blog “Crafter’s Tool” tells us that crafting backpacks are coming. From my understanding China has these, and I know several have expressed a desire for them, but I just find myself asking….. why?

While I know the completionist in me would make them just to “have” them in my wardrobe, I can’t actually ever see myself using something like this for cosmetic purposes. I am sort of hoping (though it’s probably unrealistic) that these sort of function like a mobile crafting workbench after completion to make them worthwhile.

Your thoughts on it?

OMG how did I miss this thread?!?!?! okay I’m going to go right now and look for a list that’s been long overdue in this title.

This is what it’s about when it comes to backpacks. This is why most people have been saying this game is lacking.

I would like spend hours making these things for all my toons if I had them in there.

The question is going to be however, will these purely cosmetic items cost things like loadestones? Will their recipes be impossible to find? Or will they all be sold in the store 1 at a time for 2 weeks each?

That’s what I’m afraid of personally.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Crafting "Backpacks"

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

The personal story was separated into chapters which are unlocked every 10 levels. The first personal story for example isn’t unlocked until level 10.

During development, they found that players, especially those coming from games like WoW, couldn’t figure out how to play the game. As a result, they added hearts to attract players towards events and scouts to direct players towards hearts. New players however still attempt to play the game like WoW by following the quests, meaning they’re only playing through the personal story. This causes complaints about grinding due to the level gaps in between the steps. With this change however, the personal story is continuous within the chapter you have access to it.

Crafting "Backpacks"

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Your thoughts on it?

OMG how did I miss this thread?!?!?! okay I’m going to go right now and look for a list that’s been long overdue in this title.

This is what it’s about when it comes to backpacks. This is why most people have been saying this game is lacking.

I would like spend hours making these things for all my toons if I had them in there.

The question is going to be however, will these purely cosmetic items cost things like loadestones? Will their recipes be impossible to find? Or will they all be sold in the store 1 at a time for 2 weeks each?

That’s what I’m afraid of personally.

From the little that we have, it sounds like this will simply be a default recipe as part of crafting. Not something you have to go find or purchase. Though I could be wrong.

It also says that they don’t take much to make, since it’s supposed to a part of your leveling of the craft, so I can’t imagine that they would be overly expensive .

I wonder if they are just a skin, or if they are an actual item. If they are an actual item and can go to ascended quality, doesn’t this sort of screw over jewel crafting and cooking which only go to 400 (exotic)? Or maybe they only go to exotic.

Too many unknowns.

Crafting "Backpacks"

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

I guess that because they had these already, they will put this on NA/EU client, too. Because why not? Always something more to describe and use as a patch “filler”.

I guess tomorrow’s “Fresh Start” will also feature the leveling system of chinese client. And bunch of other stuff dragged from their client to ours.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

Crafting "Backpacks"

Posted by: Hybrid.7059

Hybrid.7059

I guess tomorrow’s “Fresh Start” will also feature the leveling system of chinese client. And bunch of other stuff dragged from their client to ours.

Oh please no. If the leveling system is as dreadful as the chinese version (at least from what I’ve heard about it), I’ll be uninstalling the game in a heart beat. Nope.jpg.

Crafting "Backpacks"

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Oh please no. If the leveling system is as dreadful as the chinese version (at least from what I’ve heard about it), I’ll be uninstalling the game in a heart beat. Nope.jpg.

Yeah… there are a lot of things about the China leveling that I don’t think I want to see either.

Admittedly, we have said that the game needs a better tutorial for new players, and China did get several things that are an improvement in that area. I could see taking some of it and implementing it here, perhaps not 100% the same, but the same concept.

Crafting "Backpacks"

Posted by: Maris.3164

Maris.3164

Crafting "Backpacks"

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

Crafting "Backpacks"

Posted by: Belenwyn.8674

Belenwyn.8674

Is it known if we can select the stats for those rucksacks? During leveling we do not have a satisfying access to rucksacks. This could open much more variety and better access to this sort of item.

Crafting "Backpacks"

Posted by: Malkavian.4516

Malkavian.4516

Just to clarify something here: Do we get to craft a particular backpack PER profession?

My insight on the new Backpack designs, despite them being exclusive to China for a time is that few of them look really good in my eyes, others just seem to be very gaudy. I am thankful for more options, though the way the blogpost is worded out, it seems as if they are advertising it as something brand new (which it definitely is for EU and NA gamers)

FOR SKYRIM!!!!!

(edited by Malkavian.4516)

Crafting "Backpacks"

Posted by: Belenwyn.8674

Belenwyn.8674

Just to clarify something here: Do we get to craft a particular backpack PER profession?

Each profession has its own look and way to upgrade the rucksack.

Crafting "Backpacks"

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

It’s another LOL. We want precursor crafting. They give us backpacks.

Someone around here is asleep at the wheel.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

Crafting "Backpacks"

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Actually Herr some of us asked for backpacks that were craftable just after launch. It’s archived. I’m glad to see they are finally delivering!

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Crafting "Backpacks"

Posted by: That Guy.5704

That Guy.5704

having use the 4 power 3 precision (or whatever it was) back brace from the time I got it until I finally got the masterwork one from the personal story after filling the level 80 exp bar a couple dozen times (yea i would still be considered new to the game), if these have increasingly better stats, then this is a great addition so that that armor piece can be upgraded more often (even if they dont…..its a skin to collect and a sort of visual title as opposed to text)

Crafting "Backpacks"

Posted by: Scandi.5693

Scandi.5693

I think backpieces that are not wings, plants or other odd contraptions but something more normal are a welcome addition to this game.

I don’t see myself using them but they are a nicer change of pace from all these back items that make no sense for you to have on your back whatsoever.

I love my Dwayna Wings! But really in this game the wings and plants and oddities have a place and fit in nicely with lore and aesthetics. I just wish the other backpacks weren’t so large, in WvW zergs it is annoying to have the camera blocked by Charr with huge backpacks.

Mistress Savant of the Asuran Dominion.

Crafting "Backpacks"

Posted by: Ravion Hawk.4736

Ravion Hawk.4736

While it is nice to be able to craft back pieces, maybe they should allow us to craft re-breathers too.

Head of the Order of the Iron Ravens [OoIR]
Lady Alexis Hawk – Main – Necromancer
Ravion Hawk – Warrior

Crafting "Backpacks"

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Actually Herr some of us asked for backpacks that were craftable just after launch. It’s archived. I’m glad to see they are finally delivering!

All of my characters have an ascended level back piece, where I could choose the stats when I equipped the item on the character. I crafted all of them.

These items are cosmetic at best and only help Anet to deliver a unified version of the game to all of their markets. I know I’m being cynical here, but at this point I just can’t help it.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

Crafting "Backpacks"

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

Maybe you haven’t noticed but this feature patch is basically a syncing up between the 2 client version. Every new feature china got with the release will be released with the feature patch for our version.

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Crafting "Backpacks"

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

The personal story was separated into chapters which are unlocked every 10 levels. The first personal story for example isn’t unlocked until level 10.

During development, they found that players, especially those coming from games like WoW, couldn’t figure out how to play the game. As a result, they added hearts to attract players towards events and scouts to direct players towards hearts. New players however still attempt to play the game like WoW by following the quests, meaning they’re only playing through the personal story. This causes complaints about grinding due to the level gaps in between the steps. With this change however, the personal story is continuous within the chapter you have access to it.

Lol I haven’t done much with the personal story and I complain about grind. The two are completely unrelated.

The grind complains are because many things are so gold driven. Want a cool mini grind gold and buy it (don’t directly work towards it) and thats the case for most of the elements in GW2 (and much related to the cahs-shop focus). That’s why people complain a grind.

And the hearths where introduced because people did not know where to go, quest give you some kind of guidance events (what had to replace quest) does not so suddenly you might just end up in a way to high level area or you don’t see an event near you, where do you go. With quest at least there is always some form of guidance. The hearts are supposed to get you to a place (as they are always there and visible on the map) and then events nearby should get your attention.

Not sure what all this has to do with backpacks but still wanted to reacted on the strange idea that the grindyness of this game would have anything to do with people following the personal story what is not the case at all.

Crafting "Backpacks"

Posted by: GOSU.9574

GOSU.9574

They are going to make changes for content and experience for new players. This is where the money is, it’s going to happen. Believe it or not there is a constant influx of new GW2 players. There is also an outpour of veterans who have burned out or run out of the content they enjoy (or taking a short or long break from the game). This is all part of the life of an MMO.

I don’t understand why people feel like when things they aren’t interested in gets updates or attention that “something is wrong”.

Hey dude you are walking into a wall.

smack..Wut?…smack…smack…

Crafting "Backpacks"

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

Some of these look more “down to earth” and “realistic” aswell “usefull” and fun to work into outfits if its your style. Might not be liked by everybody.. but neither are the backpieces we got already. Just a matter of taste… nothing more or less. And technically they are free.. just gotta craft them so ya cant really complain. Newbies will for sure love to have a form of “prestige” item that shows their level of profession, people who like more “down to earth” outfits that are not burning.. or glowing or whatever will probably find a use for them aswell..and so will everybody who likes em. Im certain the rp crowd will appreciate them..and so will i for a few select ones like that bear backpack.. heck it even got the same green like my rangerĀ“s outfit. Specially the backpacks look a LOT nicer then the guild backpacks…and i appreciate “free” (not gem store) skins.

Crafting "Backpacks"

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

you know what i would like more?
a red sab backpack

…ok fine i wont derail the thread >.>

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

Crafting "Backpacks"

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

Is it known if we can select the stats for those rucksacks? During leveling we do not have a satisfying access to rucksacks. This could open much more variety and better access to this sort of item.

I’m just guessing here, but I would imagine they are like other crafted items in that you probably get whatever stat set your “optional” component is.

Or words to that effect.

Crafting "Backpacks"

Posted by: Vix.6730

Vix.6730

just gonna be another Skin dump.
nothing new for this.

wheres our Guild capes?

Reported clipping issues. No dev time assigned.

I would go nuts for a cape, TBH. Heck, make it a legendary item, and I’d still go nuts for it.