Crafting and Loot Drop systems seem to clash

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: sage.6947

sage.6947

The crafting systems and loot drop systems in Guild Wars 2 seem to clash and create a general sense confusion and disarray:

Loot drop chance for individual creatures may be improved if they were more specific to associated creature. For example Charr characters dropping and Charr items or what the Charr may be carrying. A higher chance of receiving gear that you see the creature wearing after defeating that creature seems to be more intuitive and consistent with the world. Receiving raw crafting materials as a victory reward is immersion breaking an equipment that is not visible on the character is immersion breaking.

Character leveling in Guild Wars 2 seems to be superfluous because content is level adjusted. Finding a another system to govern leveling and equipment progression that would be more in line with roleplay immersion would be more satisfying to players that are committed to roleplaying and world immersion.

Crafting seems to be Superfluous except for producing Ascended and Legendary armors and weapons. It’s likely to progress to level 80 and collect level 80 weapon and armor by random drops before deciding to craft Ascended or Legendary. The game provides for equipment progression by NPC merchants, loot chest rewards, and crafting so it seems to me that these three options “step on each others toes” so to speak. I believe that Guild Wars 2 would have better direction and cohesion if one of these was chosen any other two removed from the game. I’m certainly not in favor of equipment progression by random drop, it’s uninspired and unfun.

NPC merchants and the trading posts and loot chests from dungeons all seem to be in competition with each other. With the addition of Ancestral armor and weapons the direction for equipment progression has become more confusing. Ancestral armor and weapons is not obtainable by random drop or crafting, as I know it, so it seems that the development of Guild Wars 2 seems to be developing towards removing crafting from a game. My perception is that no one cares about the ancestral armor and weapons because by the time you’re at the level to purchase these items from a NPC Merchant the character has already received an item of similar value from a random drop.

I have confidence that ArenaNet it can improve on the these conflicting game systems and improve the overall consistency in gameplay immersion and optimize a full sense of role playing immersion in the world of Tyria.

Thank you for your consideration.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Those things are not in competition with each other. It’s all part of the “get it however you want” thing even if they haven’t really embraced that anymore.

Posted by: sage.6947

sage.6947

Those things are not in competition with each other. It’s all part of the “get it however you want” thing even if they haven’t really embraced that anymore.

My opinion is because I think they’re not embracing any particular method and I don’t know the direction that arenanet is pursuing with this game.

Most likely there is a limit to how long they could embrace a eclectic approach to game design and game play before continuing it became less possible.

I wish they’d pick a direction that’s more consistent with role playing because when I buy a roll playing game I very much wish to roleplay.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I’m not sure what Ancestral armor is; do you mean Cultural Armor? If so, it’s just a skin some people seek (or part of a collection); I think few want the armor for it’s power, except, maybe, when leveling an alt (the lower tiers).

I have used crafting and, more so, drops to gear up most of my characters. I’ve never purchased armor or weapons(except for a few weapon skins) from the TP. But, I know many, many players prefer that method.

It would probably not be a great idea to remove ways gear is accessed this far along in the game.

Good luck.

Khisanth.2948

Drops are also extremely unreliable for acquiring gear and dungeons do no provide full stat coverage along with other issues.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

As Khisanth said they included many ways to achieve the same goal so that players can choose how they want to do it.

In most cases I use drops and story or level-up rewards until a characters gets to level 80 then use Karma or WvW Badges to buy a set of level 80 exotics for them to use. Other people prefer to buy it from the TP, or with dungeon tokens, or to always craft their own gear (I don’t think anyone uses mainly dropped gear, because it’s too unreliable, but I could be wrong).

Of course there are exceptions. I had to craft equipment for my elementalist because I wanted her to use celestial stats and those aren’t available any other way. But in most cases it’s up to the player how they want to pursue their goals and that to me is both more convenient and more realistic.

I don’t see how this is confusing, unless someone doesn’t have much experience with role-playing games. As far as I remember (and I’ve been playing them since the early 90s) they’ve always included at least 2 options – buy from merchants or get it as drops. Until recently (games like Skyrim and Dragon Age Inquisition) crafting wasn’t an option, except in MMOs and then it was often a big commitment because you couldn’t max out your crafting skills and your combat skills, so it was something only certain people did. But it’s been in pen and paper RPGs for decades.

My opinion is because I think they’re not embracing any particular method and I don’t know the direction that arenanet is pursuing with this game.

Most likely there is a limit to how long they could embrace a eclectic approach to game design and game play before continuing it became less possible.

I wish they’d pick a direction that’s more consistent with role playing because when I buy a roll playing game I very much wish to roleplay.

The direction they’re taking is the same one they’ve always had – giving players choices. This is never going to be the sort of game that tells you “if you want the best possible equipment then you must complete this 1 dungeon because that’s the only place it’s available”, they’re always going to have options. We’ve been told this since long before the game came out.

I don’t know why you think it’d be impossible to keep it going. Sure it’s a bit more work to create a crafting recipe for a new stat combination or skin as well as adding it to a drop table and/or merchant but they don’t seem to have had any trouble with it so far.

And I’m not sure what you mean by “a direction that’s more consistent with role playing”. To me that means offering lots of different choices so they’re not forcing all of our characters to be the same and we can choose what’s best for them (or us). My elementalist takes great pride in having crafted all her own equipment (except her daggers which a friend, my thief, made for her). My ranger thinks that’s pointless – it doesn’t matter how you get it, what matters is that it does the job. She made her own coat because it was the only way to get the style she wanted, but she found her gloves and boots and bought the rest (although I think in lore things bought with karma are given to you as thanks for your actions). If they both had to use the same method that would inhibit my role playing.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Gorani.7205

Gorani.7205

You have to view crafting and RNG loot drops from the status of the original game release:
>> You picked up whatever you got that was close to your level (!)
>> You used the Heart/Karma vendors to get trinkets
>> you switched out “bad stats” with a crafted item (not too often, because you did not have enough fine crafting mats)
>> You usually made a happy dance to get a rare or exotic item from map completion you could wear

When you reached Lvl 80, you wore a mix of green, are and perhaps two or three exotic items and piece by piece replaced trinkets with the temple karma ones. You had a basic green back pack (and the first Mad Memories was the first improvement you got)

Now, years later there is no levelling that makes use of anything you stated out with when the game was new. You can insta-buff a character to level 80 and wrap him in exotic of your liking.
The RNG loot drops, crafting and world wise karma vendors are still locked at the release state.

Member of The Guildwars Online Guild [GWO]
Still keeps a volume of Kurzick poems ;)

Posted by: MachineManXX.9746

MachineManXX.9746

As Khisanth said they included many ways to achieve the same goal so that players can choose how they want to do it.

In most cases I use drops and story or level-up rewards until a characters gets to level 80 then use Karma or WvW Badges to buy a set of level 80 exotics for them to use. Other people prefer to buy it from the TP, or with dungeon tokens, or to always craft their own gear (I don’t think anyone uses mainly dropped gear, because it’s too unreliable, but I could be wrong).

Of course there are exceptions. I had to craft equipment for my elementalist because I wanted her to use celestial stats and those aren’t available any other way. But in most cases it’s up to the player how they want to pursue their goals and that to me is both more convenient and more realistic.

I don’t see how this is confusing, unless someone doesn’t have much experience with role-playing games. As far as I remember (and I’ve been playing them since the early 90s) they’ve always included at least 2 options – buy from merchants or get it as drops. Until recently (games like Skyrim and Dragon Age Inquisition) crafting wasn’t an option, except in MMOs and then it was often a big commitment because you couldn’t max out your crafting skills and your combat skills, so it was something only certain people did. But it’s been in pen and paper RPGs for decades.

The direction they’re taking is the same one they’ve always had – giving players choices. This is never going to be the sort of game that tells you “if you want the best possible equipment then you must complete this 1 dungeon because that’s the only place it’s available”, they’re always going to have options. We’ve been told this since long before the game came out.

I don’t know why you think it’d be impossible to keep it going. Sure it’s a bit more work to create a crafting recipe for a new stat combination or skin as well as adding it to a drop table and/or merchant but they don’t seem to have had any trouble with it so far.

And I’m not sure what you mean by “a direction that’s more consistent with role playing”. To me that means offering lots of different choices so they’re not forcing all of our characters to be the same and we can choose what’s best for them (or us). My elementalist takes great pride in having crafted all her own equipment (except her daggers which a friend, my thief, made for her). My ranger thinks that’s pointless – it doesn’t matter how you get it, what matters is that it does the job. She made her own coat because it was the only way to get the style she wanted, but she found her gloves and boots and bought the rest (although I think in lore things bought with karma are given to you as thanks for your actions). If they both had to use the same method that would inhibit my role playing.

Danikat wins this thread. Explained perfectly.

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

Every computer RPG ever. Don’t expect it to make sense.

Attachments:

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

I don’t get this thread … is there a suggestion here? Clash or not, it works and that’s all it really needs to do. We shouldn’t be looking for ultra realism here.

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

Except for the fact that it will take you years to acquire ascended gear in any way other than crafting. I’ve been playing for 3 years and I’ve literally had a single ascended drop.

So, in this way, we don’t really have the choice not to craft if we want ascended gear. Crafting is the only surefire way to acquire it. Please don’t tell me that we have multiple other options, because we simply don’t.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Except for the fact that it will take you years to acquire ascended gear in any way other than crafting. I’ve been playing for 3 years and I’ve literally had a single ascended drop.

So, in this way, we don’t really have the choice not to craft if we want ascended gear. Crafting is the only surefire way to acquire it. Please don’t tell me that we have multiple other options, because we simply don’t.

Aren’t trinkets and backpacks considered part of your gear? If so, none of my ascended trinkets and backpacks have been through crafting.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: TheNecrosanct.4028

TheNecrosanct.4028

3 years and a single ascended drop means you don’t do Fractals. I refuse to believe your RNG is so bad that you haven’t had more drops in all that time. Trust me, next to crafting, Fractals is the best way to acquire ascended gear. I have 9 ascended characters and 10 sets of ascended gear (that’s full ascended gear, so armor, weapons and trinkets). Only 3 armor sets were crafted (for the Ascended Accoutrement achievement), the rest is obtained during a period of 4 to 5 months of daily (high level) Fractals. I crafted some weapons but most were also drops. And I’ve some drops outside of Fractals, though I admit that this last option is too rare to build up one or more full ascended gear sets. You do have choices, but that’s not to say anything will drop anywhere at any time.

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

3 years and a single ascended drop means you don’t do Fractals. I refuse to believe your RNG is so bad that you haven’t had more drops in all that time. Trust me, next to crafting, Fractals is the best way to acquire ascended gear. I have 9 ascended characters and 10 sets of ascended gear (that’s full ascended gear, so armor, weapons and trinkets). Only 3 armor sets were crafted (for the Ascended Accoutrement achievement), the rest is obtained during a period of 4 to 5 months of daily (high level) Fractals. I crafted some weapons but most were also drops. And I’ve some drops outside of Fractals, though I admit that this last option is too rare to build up one or more full ascended gear sets. You do have choices, but that’s not to say anything will drop anywhere at any time.

Yeah, I refuse to believe it too! I’m all the way up to level 82 Fractals and I’ve only gotten that one ascended drop (from fractals, coincidentally). I heavily considered contacting Anet and telling them that my account is bugged with an RNG from hell. I even have 93% MF.

I suppose I assumed that this was normal to acquire only one ascended drop in this amount of time and that everyone had the same luck as me…. but I suppose that’s not the case. So, fractals and crafting are the options.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

So, just the opposite of what the OP states; that crafting is being removed from the game. I’m still confused about the Ancestral armor part. OP states that Ancestral armor can’t be crafted, and is a new addition to the game. I thought it might be Cultural armor, but that’s been here since release. And Ascended armor is all about crafting and/or drops, but crafting for a guaranteed piece.

With the addition of Ancestral armor and weapons the direction for equipment progression has become more confusing. Ancestral armor and weapons is not obtainable by random drop or crafting, as I know it, so it seems that the development of Guild Wars 2 seems to be developing towards removing crafting from a game.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Yeah, I refuse to believe it too! I’m all the way up to level 82 Fractals and I’ve only gotten that one ascended drop (from fractals, coincidentally). I heavily considered contacting Anet and telling them that my account is bugged with an RNG from hell. I even have 93% MF.

I suppose I assumed that this was normal to acquire only one ascended drop in this amount of time and that everyone had the same luck as me…. but I suppose that’s not the case. So, fractals and crafting are the options.

And buying with Laurels, commendations, WvW badges, playing and mining in the two new maps and playing in PvP and WvW to fill relevant reward tracks.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Khisanth.2948

So, just the opposite of what the OP states; that crafting is being removed from the game. I’m still confused about the Ancestral armor part. OP states that Ancestral armor can’t be crafted, and is a new addition to the game. I thought it might be Cultural armor, but that’s been here since release. And Ascended armor is all about crafting and/or drops, but crafting for a guaranteed piece.

With the addition of Ancestral armor and weapons the direction for equipment progression has become more confusing. Ancestral armor and weapons is not obtainable by random drop or crafting, as I know it, so it seems that the development of Guild Wars 2 seems to be developing towards removing crafting from a game.

Maybe the OP got so confused by the choices that they started writing about a different game in the middle of a post? :P

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I find that I have to make many allowances in RPG’s with regard to immersion. The crafting materials thing is definitely not one of them. My thoughts:

• As an adventurer, I collect diverse things. Why can’t enemies do that, too? Why wouldn’t a Blood Legion soldier take something from the corpse of the Asura that called him an idiot?
  • Raw crafting materials tend to be valuable. Why wouldn’t an enemy be carrying some with the intention of selling them when given the chance?
  • Crafting is arguably less of a waste of time in GW2 than it is in other theme park MMO’s. I remember tailoring to max level in WotLK, making the one Epic piece available to tailors, then replacing it with a better chest piece from one of the first few dungeon runs I did. Arguably, unless you’re playing a sandbox game, crafting in MMO’s is all about being able to make a very few things that have value, and the process is a time and resource sink.
  • Drops of equipment that my character cannot use is in no way immersion breaking. In fact, it would be more immersion breaking to get a preponderance of usable items. Rewards tailored to a particular character are a hallmark of Dungeons and Dragons, not a quasi-realistic fantasy world. The more realistic the setting, the more likely plunder would include random stuff whose value lies more in what you can sell it for than any personal use you could put it to.

Posted by: Scifi.9754

Scifi.9754

You have to view crafting and RNG loot drops from the status of the original game release:
>> You picked up whatever you got that was close to your level (!)
>> You used the Heart/Karma vendors to get trinkets
>> you switched out “bad stats” with a crafted item (not too often, because you did not have enough fine crafting mats)
>> You usually made a happy dance to get a rare or exotic item from map completion you could wear

When you reached Lvl 80, you wore a mix of green, are and perhaps two or three exotic items and piece by piece replaced trinkets with the temple karma ones. You had a basic green back pack (and the first Mad Memories was the first improvement you got)

Now, years later there is no levelling that makes use of anything you stated out with when the game was new. You can insta-buff a character to level 80 and wrap him in exotic of your liking.
The RNG loot drops, crafting and world wise karma vendors are still locked at the release state.

Heh I just started up playing again after being away for a few years and that is EXACTLY what my guy was equipped with.

Khisanth.2948

Scale 82 doesn’t really mean much.

The thing not mentioned is that while fractals have a decent drop rate for ascended that is from the tier 4 chests. That also means MF means absolutely nothing in that regard. If you aren’t doing the t4s then it’ll mostly be some infused rings.

93% MF was around the point where I noticed that rares actually started dropping rarely as opposed to never so I wouldn’t expect too much out of MF regardless.

Posted by: Black Iris Flowers.3418

Black Iris Flowers.3418

The thing not mentioned is that while fractals have a decent drop rate for ascended that is from the tier 4 chests. That also means MF means absolutely nothing in that regard. If you aren’t doing the t4s then it’ll mostly be some infused rings.

93% MF was around the point where I noticed that rares actually started dropping rarely as opposed to never so I wouldn’t expect too much out of MF regardless.

The fractal masteries make a big difference too, the second and third tiers improve and give bonus rewards from chests and encryption boxes

Khisanth.2948

The fractal masteries make a big difference too, the second and third tiers improve and give bonus rewards from chests and encryption boxes

Hmm not sure about that one since the mastery refers to a chest that doesn’t exist anymore.

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

This is an MMO. Immersion should not be expected. If you want a WYSIWYG system, you’ll need to go to a singleplayer or local multiplayer game (example: Skyrim)

Server: Devona’s Rest