Crashes = kicked to overflow map??

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Dextar.1682

Dextar.1682

Now in the last two days, twice I’ve been killing Teq and the game crashed and I’m kicked to the overflow map. Tonight, he was almost dead and boom, it crashes and I’m put into a new area where he’s back up to 100% health and nobody is there.

I’ve only been back playing for about two weeks (I started at launch but quit when WoW:MoP was released) but holy heck if this is common for these world bosses, I’m back out. This is the worst system!

Posted by: Kupper.8074

Kupper.8074

Sorry mate, poop happens. Try lowering your settings and see if you crash.

JQ – The ‘veggie’ Knight
Berserker = Skilled http://i.imgur.com/g1rkIub.jpg
Never forget – http://i.imgur.com/Oxra9sj.jpg

Dextar.1682

It’s not a system issue on my end. The ONLY time it’s crashed has been 2/3 times I’ve done Teq.

Posted by: Arkinos.7245

Arkinos.7245

Its a known problem, especially for Teq.

Try to get a party that will invite you back in after the crash.

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

It’s not a system issue on my end. The ONLY time it’s crashed has been 2/3 times I’ve done Teq.

High particle effects can, will, and have caused people to crash out of the game. The reason you’re put on a different map when you reconnect is because the “spot” you had on the map was filled pretty much instantly the moment you disconnected.

Dextar.1682

My issue, regardless of why it crashed, is that you’re kicked out of a map so quickly without even a chance to reconnect. Thus losing any and all progress you might have made. That’s an INCREDIBLY punishing decision by the team. Giving someone 120s to reconnect before giving up their spot on a map seems incredibly fair.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Assuming a capable system, put the model limit/quality on low and restart the client after joining the map. You should never crash.

Personally, I’d rather have it the way it is now because changing it would no doubt remove the ability to instantly logout. If people stopped taxi’ing people in past the soft cap, you would be able to get back in.

Posted by: met.9653

met.9653

Even if you lover settings you can still crash. And there is many situations when big groups of people crash in same time. I guess its most a server issue. Try group up with someone and if you crash spam join after reconnect, if you get lucky you can get back coz other people will crash

Posted by: Lifestealer.4910

Lifestealer.4910

Welcome to gaming companies of this generation, where they would rush out features before it is even polished and tested.

I used to think Blizzard was a bad company but now i think they are a GOD.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Welcome to gaming companies of this generation, where they would rush out features before it is even polished and tested.

Yeah… except for the fact that clearly the issue isn’t (fully) game-side, seeing as if it were EVERYONE would be effected.

I am doing both Tequatl and Wurm multiple times per week and I have yet to have a single crash on any of them.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Dextar.1682

Yeah… except for the fact that clearly the issue isn’t (fully) game-side, seeing as if it were EVERYONE would be effected.

I am doing both Tequatl and Wurm multiple times per week and I have yet to have a single crash on any of them.

I’ve got a very beefy system and this is the only game that has crashed in a very long time. The ONLY time it’s crashed has been on Teq. My point still stands, it’s incredibly frustrating and punishing for players to crash and not be given any time to log back on and get back in the same map. Heck, you could even have it check to see if the event is happening and give them time to log back on.

This literally killed my desire to play, I logged off shortly after this due to how frustrated I was.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

But how long should it save the spot?
Not everyone are able to get right back in. Some might take 5 minutes, should it stay reserved for that long then?

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

Same here, I usually run well, but the game crashes from time to time @Teq. It happened again yesterday.

I remember GW1 crashed once or twice in 6-7 years of my active time there. GW2 crashed about 50 times until now. Just want to point it out.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Same here, I usually run well, but the game crashes from time to time @Teq. It happened again yesterday.

I remember GW1 crashed once or twice in 6-7 years of my active time there. GW2 crashed about 50 times until now. Just want to point it out.

I had probably about the same amount of crashes in Guild Wars 2 and Guild Wars 1. So it could be the way the game interacts with a specific video driver, or a specific component within a system.

Posted by: cheshader.5081

cheshader.5081

But how long should it save the spot?
Not everyone are able to get right back in. Some might take 5 minutes, should it stay reserved for that long then?

Even 2 mins is better than now. Why should ppl be punished for occasional disconnect/ctd? 2 mins is pretty much enough to get back even if you use hdd, unless your PC reboots.
Yes, it won’t help everyone, but is that the reason to discard the idea totally?

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

If a lot of ppl dc and don’t get back in on time it would hamper the fight for everyone else is they were placeheld. There may also be coding/resource logistics to this as to why it can’t happen. Plus plenty of other issues which could be causing this.

They didn’t think one day “lets punish our players by doing this”. If such a system doesn’t exist, it’s likely for a good reason which effects the game as a whole for the better which we can’t see.

Is it a pain? of course it and most people get affected here and there. My advice would be to try and sort the root of crashing issue out. Since everyone isn’t dc’ing at Teq at the same time, something is wrong either with your connection or your ISP or your hardware. If it was happening this regularly, I’d be changing settings or setting up a ticket and asking Tech support to find the root of the issue.

They are pretty good at isolating these things when given crash reports.

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

If you can get back in the map you’ll get the boxes you and others earned…
When you get into an overflow though you lost it all. unlessthey killedf teqw as well…

Make sure you have a party….

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

Aidan Savage.2078

I’ve got a very beefy system and this is the only game that has crashed in a very long time. The ONLY time it’s crashed has been on Teq. My point still stands, it’s incredibly frustrating and punishing for players to crash and not be given any time to log back on and get back in the same map. Heck, you could even have it check to see if the event is happening and give them time to log back on.

This literally killed my desire to play, I logged off shortly after this due to how frustrated I was.

Beefy system does not matter. If you play with high graphics settings at events like Teq, it’s not a question of IF you DC, it’s a question of when.

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

Lol, sure.
50 bucks says it’s a problem with one of your drivers.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

(edited by Andred.1087)

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

playing highest highest, and my dc’s always follow a pattern in whgatever game moment: laggy gameplay, followed by some huge lagspikes, and then a DC due to lost connection… it’s not my PC, it’s general connectivety. Be It my connection in the game, my modem/router box thingy, mY ISP fubar-ing stuff or A-Net having a server patch moment/too many people, a DOS or whatever other BS…

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

(edited by PaxTheGreatOne.9472)

Posted by: Sarevok.2638

Sarevok.2638

This is one of the major falldowns of this game.

IT DOES ABSOLUTELY SOD ALL to protect you in case of d/cs. I just got an ISP hiccup 25% HP left on the last vinewrath boss, and when I managed to log back in the event was over and I got no credit.

This is absolutely WRONG in every sense of the word, the game keeps track of contribution credit, why does it just say “lol he d/ced, screw him like the pleb he is” when something OUTSIDE YOUR CONTROL happens.

Get it sorted, it’s not acceptable.

Posted by: William Bradley Knight.2609

William Bradley Knight.2609

Lol, sure.

I’m currently playing on a Dell Latitude E6500:

http://www.engadget.com/products/dell/latitude/e6500/specs/

Yes, that is a six year old business class laptop. Obviously I have to play at low graphics settings and the game looks pretty terrible, but I have never crashed during Tequatl. If an old machine like that is never crashing then it is not strictly a server issue.

Dextar.1682

Lol, sure.

If it was a problem with one of my drivers, GW2 on Teq would not be the only game and time to crash. Dying Light = Ultra = Zero problems, Zero Crashes. WoW 25m raiding on Ultra = Zero Crashes. The list goes on, GW2 on Teq is the only game that crashes and that’s the only time it crashes. It also doesn’t crash all the time, out of the three times I’ve done it it has only crashed twice. My very first kill of Teq with TONS of people, it didn’t crash, same thing with my last attempt. I’ve been trying to replicate it but I can’t be on for every Teq attempt, it did not happen this morning though.

I just want to stress this enough, it’s NOT about WHY it crashed this is about the lack of allowing people to re-enter the same map and NOT get pushed to overflow because of a crash.

To those saying you still get the chest, you don’t unless you get popped back into the same map. My group almost had Teq dead (I’d estimate 10-20% left with 7 minutes remaining) and I reconnected almost immediately and did not get the chest. This makes me think the new overflow map overwrote the old event.

I’m REALLY enjoying this game but that is too punishing.

Posted by: William Bradley Knight.2609

William Bradley Knight.2609

I just want to stress this enough, it’s NOT about WHY it crashed this is about the lack of allowing people to re-enter the same map and NOT get pushed to overflow because of a crash.

To those saying you still get the chest, you don’t unless you get popped back into the same map. My group almost had Teq dead (I’d estimate 10-20% left with 7 minutes remaining) and I reconnected almost immediately and did not get the chest. This makes me think the new overflow map overwrote the old event.

I’m REALLY enjoying this game but that is too punishing.

It is unfortunate to be unable to get back in and get your earned reward after a crash. But what folks have suggested about partying is good advice. It may even be that if you are in a party and you join them in the map after the event has ended, which should be possible after folks have already started leaving the map, you may still be able to access the chest. Maybe someone can verify this?

Posted by: Lifestealer.4910

Lifestealer.4910

That advice isn’t helpful since most of the time if you DC during a teq event, the spot that you had would of been taking by someone else trying to connect in, so even if you are in a party you would still be unable to rejoin.

Posted by: Kreejaffa.3682

Kreejaffa.3682

Lol, sure.

If it was a problem with one of my drivers, GW2 on Teq would not be the only game and time to crash.

Actually, it is possible. I used to crash at Teq all the time, and yet had zero problems with other games I played for hours at a time as well.

I ended up simply updating my drivers for my audio, and that fixed my problem. Something about my audio drivers were conflicting with the roars from Teq, and it was causing my audio to crash, which caused the game to crash, and only Guild Wars 2 was affected.

So, it could be your drivers. May not be, but it could.

Kreejaffa [Ferguson’s Crossing]
Leader of Looking For Gandalf [LFG]
Worst Commander of Ferguson’s Crossing (Self Proclaimed)

Aidan Savage.2078

Lol, sure.

If it was a problem with one of my drivers, GW2 on Teq would not be the only game and time to crash.

Actually, it is possible. I used to crash at Teq all the time, and yet had zero problems with other games I played for hours at a time as well.

I ended up simply updating my drivers for my audio, and that fixed my problem. Something about my audio drivers were conflicting with the roars from Teq, and it was causing my audio to crash, which caused the game to crash, and only Guild Wars 2 was affected.

So, it could be your drivers. May not be, but it could.

What I’ve noticed is that he’s avoiding answering whether or not he runs teq while on high graphics settings. Probably so he can continue complaining.

Dextar.1682

What I’ve noticed is that he’s avoiding answering whether or not he runs teq while on high graphics settings. Probably so he can continue complaining.

This post isn’t about why it crashed, it’s about the poor decision to kick people out of the map when they DO crash. This doesn’t just apply to me, it applies to anyone who crashes any time during events like this.

I do run Teq on high graphics, just like every other fight. I didn’t crash the first time, I crashed the second and third times, and I didn’t crash the fourth time. I’ve never crashed any other time on any other boss. My FPS has dipped pretty low on some of them too.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

I get random DC’s in GW2 all the time. Not crashes, it just randomly puts me back on the character select screen for no reason. Doesn’t happen in any other game I play, and no interrupts on my internet, so I know it is a problem on Anets side.

It would be great if they allowed you to rejoin the same map if you get back in within 2 minutes. It is silly to think that someone else is going to take your spot and make a significant contribution in those 2 minutes anyway, so they might as well save your spot.

This is becoming more and more important as the devs keep making more and more map wide events with 2+ hour timers. Nothing makes you quit a game faster than losing 2 hours of progress. Generally if I crash during breach after being on the map for an hour I just log out, sometimes for multiple days.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

This post isn’t about why it crashed, it’s about the poor decision to kick people out of the map when they DO crash. This doesn’t just apply to me, it applies to anyone who crashes any time during events like this.

I do run Teq on high graphics, just like every other fight. I didn’t crash the first time, I crashed the second and third times, and I didn’t crash the fourth time. I’ve never crashed any other time on any other boss. My FPS has dipped pretty low on some of them too.

It’s not necs a decision. It may be something they are unable to implement.

Whilst I know you don’t want to hear ppl advising how to help solve the issue, this situation is not going to change anytime soon. It’s been mentioned since launch, which suggests a deeper issue than them just deciding yes or no to do it. many ppl have solved the issue outright by doing what has been advised above. I know, I’m one of them.

Posted by: Sizer.5632

Sizer.5632

No idea why they put so much work into the megaserver and it doesnt save your spot for 1-2 minutes if you crash. I played games 10 years ago with instances that saved your spot for a few minutes if you crash, so it cant be that impossible.

Would be sweet to have this updated in the expansion

Borolis Pass – [TOVL]
Aeneaaa – 80 engineer
Aeeneaa – 80 Ele

Aidan Savage.2078

So it’s a poor decision to not care about you getting on the map after you take X minutes to reconnect in favor of getting someone connected NOW on the map, thus allowing a near-uninterrupted progression of the event?

Also, taking steps to reduce or minimize your chances of random crashes means they dont need to implement any systems because of player refusal. So… at teq, turn down your graphics. Teq is a repetitive fight (with ways to mix up the fun), so once you got the visual eye-ful the first time, no point getting it each time after that.

Dextar.1682

My mind is blown that this is too difficult for you to understand. If people crashing causes interruptions in the event, then it’s poorly coded and needs to be looked at. A simple timer starts for players who crash to get back in to where they were is not a large task to be asked for better player immersion. If someone spends 15 minutes on a fight, why should they be punished because of a client crash? If nothing else, they need to be saved on the event table and be given the loot if the even succeeds.

You shouldn’t have to turn down your settings to get the game not to crash. It doesn’t crash every time with settings maxed out. It’s not about unwillingness to change, it’s about the fact that you shouldn’t HAVE to change your settings to not get crashes. I just don’t even know how to respond to how dumb this sounds. If it was an issue being caused often, yes then turn down settings but on a single boss in a single game. Yeah. But again, since this doesn’t seem to be sticking, it’s not about the crashing it’s about the overflow and getting booted from an encounter and losing time/loot/the fight when it should be saved. I’ve been trying to replicate the issue again so I can grab the crash log.