Create a raid/dungeon boss

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Imperios.2543

Imperios.2543

Pretty much what it says in the topic title.

Since ANet, while good with protagonists, has had some trouble (I believe) in making interesting named villains so far (while PS had a few like Kudu, Gaheron and the Infinity Ball protagonists, none of the world bosses have much personality and LS only has Scarlet and Aerin), and is still learning boss mechanics, I suggest we could come up with a boss or two for them.

Though I doubt any of them will actually end up in the actual game, these proposals could set up a format both when it comes to lore and gameplay, and especially in having these two aspects of the game intertwine.

I’ll start now:

Posted by: STRanger.5120

STRanger.5120

Raid makes no sense imho, in a game without a solid PvE mechanic (just look at the dungeons, how those works).
It’s just about one thing, skip this, glitch that, bug those, stack there. I don’t see any real PvE behind it….
Just my 2 cents though….

#ELEtism 4ever

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Raid developer hired or in process. CDI last month about it. Boss visible in new zone. Will match your expectations or not, just a matter of time.

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

Raid makes no sense imho, in a game without a solid PvE mechanic (just look at the dungeons, how those works).
It’s just about one thing, skip this, glitch that, bug those, stack there. I don’t see any real PvE behind it….
Just my 2 cents though….

Stop comparing the same old dungeons from original game. They showed with all content after the initial release that they can implement interesting mechanics.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: Imperios.2543

Imperios.2543

“We are not that different, are we? Both youthful and full of zealous ardor, both willing to endure whatever painful contingencies required to achieve triumph – whether it be on the field of battle or inside a laboratory. In a different time, I think, we could have been comrades – friends, even… had it not been for the blood that courses through my veins. The same blood you so brutally spilled two years ago in the Crucible.

My name is Zunn, Second Archsophos of the Inquest. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

Name: Zunn, Second Archsophos of the Inquest

Backstory: Kudu’s son. Having survived the fall of the Crucible of Eternity, Zunn is now one of the Inquest’s highest-ranked members, continuing Kudu’s research in dragon energy and leading Inquest operations om Mordrem territory.

Character: Brash, abrasive, but at the same time, not smug like his father. Very willing to undergo risks – both when it comes to his own life and the lives of his comrades. Rather touchy about his father (in a similar way to Zojja/Snaff). Will probably face the main character a few times without his golem before the dungeon/raid because of the aforemented things.

Boss battle: Without his golem, Zunn fights mostly with conventional weaponry like a warrior/thief mix – dual swords/dual pistol combination – nothing particularily dangerous. He also uses experimental Mordrem energy technology to bolster himself in battle such as barriers and life-draining beams (cast on one of the NPCs and, if multiple players are presents, PCs – to stop the beam, one has to stand between Zunn and the victim, resulting in a short circuit that damages the player but breaks one of Zunn’s shields). Overall, however, he is not so dangerous alone.

The REAL kitten starts when Zunn is faced inside his massive quadrapedal (see last picture) Mordremothic golem, which would require an actual raid team. At the first phase, the upper part of the golem is invincible, and the large “legs” of the boss have to be broken first. However, as the kitten thing IS ACTUALLY MOVING AND CAN STOMP YOU, doing so is no simple task. As the golem moves, it also shoots lasers at the random member of the group (announced in the chat) – forcing that party member to move constantly for as long as the laser is active (circa 6 seconds) lest he/she be killed instantly by the beam. After the laser barrage is over, an impassable bramble patch (or trail of burning ground) is left where it struck. The team’s task is to damage both large legs of the golem to slow it sufficiently and to trick Zunn into being trapped inside impassable terrain – at that point, the golem’s legs are broken and it is incapacitated, starting phase 2.

This phase shall be far more add-heavy, as more Inquest troops appear to help their leader. The golem can no longer stomp people or fire his laser repeatedly, but can concentrate its energy into a huge, powerful bolt that, should it hit the player, not only kill him/her but also turn him/her into another add (a Mordrem). Also, due to being damaged, the legs of the golem start leaking Mordremothic energy, creating several puddles of energy that continue expanding as the fight progresses. Aside from buffing the adds turning them into Mordrem, these pools also deal severe damage if a player steps into one. The only way to destroy these pools is to trick the golem into exploding them with its laser beams; to do so, one must kill adds, take their shields that provide invulnerability, and then step into the puddles.

Finally, when the golem’s hull is broken, Zunn leaves the kittenpit and starts attacking like crazy, using his weapons and magic much like in previous encounters but now leaping from enemy to enemy, choosing targets randomly, and increasing his attack speed significantly. He will also use more Mordremothic abilities, such as creating puddles of energy (similar to those in phase 2) and pools of transfiguration – which, if a player steps in, increase his/her stats and heal him/her, but also turn him/her into a Mordrem add if he/she stays there for too long.

That’s it. Come up with your own encounters!

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

actually got a good one. Imagine.. a basilisk, but not a small one like we got arround. Imagine a HUGE one.. size of SB. Its “arena” is ring shaped, a hole in the middle where the basilisk is, its upper body including its front legs stick out of the hole. It can only be attacked from behind while it does its main attack that lasts arround 20 seconds and will focus on the biggest cluster of players on its arena. Its attack pattern is simple.. but lethal. It will let its eye glow up to do a well telegraphed and somewhat slow but 100% instant killing conic aoe attack in the size of its vision field that petrifies and kills any player that got the avatar faced towards the creature but doesnt affect the players at all if they are faced away. All 20% of its health it will go into a rage fit and bash with its front legs onto the ring arena to do massive aoe damage and move in a counter or clockwise way till it got the entire ring worked down with hits. Now thats where the fun comes in.. the ring shaped arena is slightly conic and higher towards the beast then to the edge and stands in a lava pool. Everytime the basilisk does its ragefit it pummels the ring deeper into the lava.. and so reduces the walking surface. The speed and frequency aswell power of attacks get faster each ragefit. Imo that would be a darn funny raid to do

Posted by: STRanger.5120

STRanger.5120

Just my 2 cents though….

Stop comparing the same old dungeons from original game. They showed with all content after the initial release that they can implement interesting mechanics.

Firstly, don’t tell me what to do.
Secondly, I just expressed my opinion. Yeah, in the newer LS, there were some interesting mechanics, however that is solo-scenario. So until I’ll see something interesting and working in group scenario, I remain sceptical. That’s all.

#ELEtism 4ever

(edited by STRanger.5120)

Posted by: Crane Monger.7854

Crane Monger.7854

What I most enjoyed more than any other bosses in gw2, were the fights at the end of the super adventure box worlds and also the fights in the queens gauntlet. They were undeniably more innovative than any other fight in the gw2 world, due to the necessity of 100% accuracy in the method of defeating them.

Other boss fights throughout the world have no real consequence for mistake, therefore making them mundane and lacking skill. Arena net tried to utilize the timing system with the world bosses, but if the player number/‘skill’ is insufficient, then there really is no possibility for gratifying success.

I believe that Anet tried to create an innovative boss experience when they introduced the new and ‘improved’ Tequatl, but fell short. The reason behind my opinion, is because I have not once defeated Teq, and thought “wow, that was an awesome fight.” Not even the first time, because player impact is so unsubstantial.

If Arenanet introduced new world bosses that actually required half a brain to defeat, and not just mindless key mashing, then and only then will I change my opinion about the overall feel and combat diversity of this game.

Posted by: ElBuenDavs.3689

ElBuenDavs.3689

They are planning to do raids, in fact, they did an entire thread about this:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/CDI-Guilds-Raiding/first

Posted by: airick.9850

airick.9850

“We are not that different, are we? Both youthful and full of zealous ardor, both willing to endure whatever painful contingencies required to achieve triumph – whether it be on the field of battle or inside a laboratory. In a different time, I think, we could have been comrades – friends, even… had it not been for the blood that courses through my veins. The same blood you so brutally spilled two years ago in the Crucible.

My name is Zunn, Second Archsophos of the Inquest. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

Name: Zunn, Second Archsophos of the Inquest

Backstory: Kudu’s son. Having survived the fall of the Crucible of Eternity, Zunn is now one of the Inquest’s highest-ranked members, continuing Kudu’s research in dragon energy and leading Inquest operations om Mordrem territory.

Character: Brash, abrasive, but at the same time, not smug like his father. Very willing to undergo risks – both when it comes to his own life and the lives of his comrades. Rather touchy about his father (in a similar way to Zojja/Snaff). Will probably face the main character a few times without his golem before the dungeon/raid because of the aforemented things.

Boss battle: Without his golem, Zunn fights mostly with conventional weaponry like a warrior/thief mix – dual swords/dual pistol combination – nothing particularily dangerous. He also uses experimental Mordrem energy technology to bolster himself in battle such as barriers and life-draining beams (cast on one of the NPCs and, if multiple players are presents, PCs – to stop the beam, one has to stand between Zunn and the victim, resulting in a short circuit that damages the player but breaks one of Zunn’s shields). Overall, however, he is not so dangerous alone.

The REAL kitten starts when Zunn is faced inside his massive quadrapedal (see last picture) Mordremothic golem, which would require an actual raid team. At the first phase, the upper part of the golem is invincible, and the large “legs” of the boss have to be broken first. However, as the kitten thing IS ACTUALLY MOVING AND CAN STOMP YOU, doing so is no simple task. As the golem moves, it also shoots lasers at the random member of the group (announced in the chat) – forcing that party member to move constantly for as long as the laser is active (circa 6 seconds) lest he/she be killed instantly by the beam. After the laser barrage is over, an impassable bramble patch (or trail of burning ground) is left where it struck. The team’s task is to damage both large legs of the golem to slow it sufficiently and to trick Zunn into being trapped inside impassable terrain – at that point, the golem’s legs are broken and it is incapacitated, starting phase 2.

This phase shall be far more add-heavy, as more Inquest troops appear to help their leader. The golem can no longer stomp people or fire his laser repeatedly, but can concentrate its energy into a huge, powerful bolt that, should it hit the player, not only kill him/her but also turn him/her into another add (a Mordrem). Also, due to being damaged, the legs of the golem start leaking Mordremothic energy, creating several puddles of energy that continue expanding as the fight progresses. Aside from buffing the adds turning them into Mordrem, these pools also deal severe damage if a player steps into one. The only way to destroy these pools is to trick the golem into exploding them with its laser beams; to do so, one must kill adds, take their shields that provide invulnerability, and then step into the puddles.

Finally, when the golem’s hull is broken, Zunn leaves the kittenpit and starts attacking like crazy, using his weapons and magic much like in previous encounters but now leaping from enemy to enemy, choosing targets randomly, and increasing his attack speed significantly. He will also use more Mordremothic abilities, such as creating puddles of energy (similar to those in phase 2) and pools of transfiguration – which, if a player steps in, increase his/her stats and heal him/her, but also turn him/her into a Mordrem add if he/she stays there for too long.

That’s it. Come up with your own encounters!

I was legit excited just reading this encounter. Very nice xD

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

The big thing about GW2 is there no real team targeting there mob targeting and AoE. This type of game play works good for pvp raids not so much for pve raids. If they say add in a “attk your own team” type targets for effects that are beneficial to your team with a set of weapons / ability that works well with this pve raids should work out well if your only asking for raids that are in countless other mmorpgs.

Now a new type of pve raiding may work for gw2 but ppl on these forms nor I have any ideal how that would work.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA