Cross armor type transmutation.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Rodzynald.5897

Rodzynald.5897

There is certainly some reasons why this isn’t a thing because it could have been implemented long ago but hey, let’s bring this up because curiosity.

Don’t you guys ever wished to mix up armor types to make even more fancy custom armor sets ?
(The lack of normal hoods – which is without any glow and stuff, on heavy armor is sad, at least for me.)
Like there is that sweet light armour shoulder skin that would gloriously match up with some of medium armor or heavy armor skins ?
I guess that would hit the gem store quite hard but then… why not throw in, let’s say 50 or 100 gem worth special transmutation stones that can be aquired only through gems and which could transmute other kinds of armor types with each other ?

Guardian is meant for jolly crusading.

Posted by: superveemon.6738

superveemon.6738

I too would like something like that. Maybe, like you said, add some particular item or requirement to do so, but i would really love to mix some equipment parts from the other armor types. The fact that my Character is an engineer doesn’t mean i always want to wear only medium armor. Actually, with the Scrapper specialization, i feel a bit more like a tank, and I’d like to have a more fitting look. XD

Posted by: MyPuppy.8970

MyPuppy.8970

Always wanted that. I’d pay for that.

Lily Bertine [NG]/[GiRL]
Nerfentalist of Augury Rock

Posted by: Zelanard.5806

Zelanard.5806

Always wanted that. I’d pay for that.

This.

When commenting on a suggestion:
Leave it to A-net to decide whether the suggestion is possible or not.

Posted by: Seyiwaji.4082

Seyiwaji.4082

No, please no.
what would be the piont seeing some heavy armor class with shirt?<——- Hyperbole

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

The problem is the different armor weights have different points where the pieces join. For example tops on heavy armor are much shorter – typically stopping just below the ribs on a human, whereas light armor is on the hips.

On some skins this wouldn’t be a problem because they don’t reach the ‘cut off point’ – like the more revealing light armor tops. But others would cross over and clip into each other and its probably not possible to fix that without changing what they look like. Which would anger all the people who like them, including some who would want to be able to mix and match.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Akikaze.1307

Akikaze.1307

The problem is the different armor weights have different points where the pieces join. For example tops on heavy armor are much shorter – typically stopping just below the ribs on a human, whereas light armor is on the hips.

That issue already exists within a single armour type. I know some Light armour tops (ones that cover the belly) doesn’t meet properly with bottom.

I can see heavy and light being able to mix well. However a lot of medium armours is trenchcoat-like and will cover/clip with the leggings of light/heavy when combined.

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

What Danikat said.

Also, A-net have said that different armour weights (including outfits) have different meshes (?) or something, which results in them being impossible to mix-and-match because of the way that the game is coded.

@OP: Your suggestion has been made many times before. It’s a popular one. I’d recommend asking for more variety of armour pieces than a cross-weight transmutation stone. A-net can far more easily design a light armour with metal plate parts (for example) than redesigning the whole armour weight system.

Posted by: MyPuppy.8970

MyPuppy.8970

Oh well, i’d be happy just to be able to mix n match oufits with armors.

Lily Bertine [NG]/[GiRL]
Nerfentalist of Augury Rock

Posted by: Freyah.8912

Freyah.8912

Yes please!!
I just want something on my medium armor wearers that’s not a trench coat of the krytan vest thingy.
Pleeeeeeeeaaaase!

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

Yea I would like that cause ALL MEDIUM ARMORS ARE SO UGLY !!!

Posted by: Rogue Sol.1457

Rogue Sol.1457

This is something I’d pay for. I liked Wildstar for allowing me to use different armor weights for aesthetics so my light armored spellslinger was able to wear medium armored flack vest. Biggest clipping issues would be with medium armor though in GW2 since all of its trench coats are one complete piece instead of a top and bottom half.

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

Yea I would like that cause ALL MEDIUM ARMORS ARE SO UGLY !!!

Not the glorious, mistward, viper, or stalwart sets.

Attachments:

Posted by: paintpixie.7398

paintpixie.7398

I have always wanted this, and I would love it.

Posted by: nica.5829

nica.5829

No, please no.

Like we already do with outfits? I don’t see the difference. You can play a warrior in a wedding dress, for heavens sake.

Posted by: Reverielle.3972

Reverielle.3972

Would be nice to see yes.

And there is already plenty of clipping/mismatching that goes on within an armour-class, so that’s really no negative to hold back such.

Rodzynald.5897

Huh, I didn’t think that there will be so much approval to this idea.
I don’t really expect such idea to ever get implemented but well… hope dies last.
There is much potential and we would distinguish yourselves even more.

Posted by: Capa.7684

Capa.7684

My first throught was:
No let a few RPG aspects and class differences alive.

But my second throught was:
Why not? The damage is caused long ago with the costumes.

Let people use all armor skins is no game breaker because the classes self are nearly non existent.

Posted by: coso.9173

coso.9173

we would get much more clipping than we have now, but I think it’s a fair price to pay for such a cool feature.

Rodzynald.5897

This idea came to me when I saw Priory scholars that were using hammers but they had robes on them, like a good ol’ fashioned cleric archetype.
This might seem silly to see a warrior running in robes though but we already have silly stuff in gem-store and you can run around in pink dyed armor, I didn’t hear any complaints about that.
If we could make this thread to be more relevant then we might have hope for something like that somewhere in the future if devs will approve it.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

As Crimson Clouds said (and as has been pointed out in pretty much every thread over the past years in which people asked to mix armor weights), core coding of the game would have to be redone. Every single armor piece would have to be remade on a new skeleton rig. As originally designed, they cannot be mixed. They will glitch out severely.

You want to mix skins because it’ll look cool? Well, enjoy the long streaks of odd texture across your screen, the bright crimson splotches in random areas of the armor that you cannot dye, the bits of armor that get jumbled up to odd places like boot textures on your upper arm.

Given how much effort it seems to be to get just a few new armor styles, it’ll be a long time if ever before they can invest the resources to redo every armor piece from scratch.

Posted by: BunjiKugashira.9754

BunjiKugashira.9754

No, please no.

Like we already do with outfits? I don’t see the difference. You can play a warrior in a wedding dress, for heavens sake.

Yup, that’s one of the reasons why I don’t like outfits and a big reason why I hate this idea. You are supposed to see shiny metal plates and know immediately that that’s a heavy armor wearer and not a squishy elementalist.

I wouldn’t mind making some of the hoods, head ornaments or even some gloves available to all armor weights, but I don’t want to see a Warrior in Bikini and Mini Skirt. Outfits should be limited to cities or at least auto hide when drawing a weapon or being in combat. That’s what the old town clothes system did a lot better.

Shana Flamewielder
Sylvari Elementalist of [SFF]
Abaddons Maul

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

This has been asked before, the explanation we go was that ANet basically painted itself into a corner when designing the armor weights and if they wanted to make them accessible across all weight classes, they’d have to rework every piece of armor twice to work with the other two weight classes.

That’s simply too much work with absolutely no financial incentive, so they’re not going to do it.

Their solution was the Outfit system. Opinion on how good a compromise this system is will vary.