Culling is fixed - Thank you Anet

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: SkylightMoon.1980

SkylightMoon.1980

So after putting up my settings for culling, jumping into wvw, i was pretty impressed on how many players I could view, and how few I couldnt. I also noticed it affect pve as well, which is nice.
Check out this pic

Attachments:

Posted by: dinominator.9862

dinominator.9862

Unless I’ve missed something recently, they specifically said the fix was PvP only and that PvE was not changed in this round.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Ya its shocking how many ppl you can see now. Its scary to turn a corner and then your screen is full of red names coming your way.
The pve part its odd you can see ppl and mobs a lot better i am not sure what they did. I know that if the zone has a high pop in it then if your pt members move too far away it will act as if they are in a different zone but i am not sure if that was for pve culling.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: Calsifer.6079

Calsifer.6079

Odd, that person in the screenshot from [RMNT] (Bottom right). Can anyone verify what guild that tag belongs to? Because [RMNT] is also a guild based out of Maguuma whom we, CD, are fighting at the moment. I can tell that the OP is from CD because I see lots of CD guild tags on there including my own, [QCS].

Ninja Stokk – Thief. CD.

Posted by: uberkingkong.8041

uberkingkong.8041

they need to fix culling in pve.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

They said they were working on it, but that it’s much harder to do in PVe than WvW. There is some difference in the process that makes the WvW solution unworkable in PVe.

Posted by: Phantom.8130

Phantom.8130

They said they were working on it, but that it’s much harder to do in PVe than WvW. There is some difference in the process that makes the WvW solution unworkable in PVe.

i remember reading that the reason is that there’s a wide array of character models in PvE, and really only a few in PvP and WvW. they could be able to set it to where you can see all of the other players, but that doesn’t really do anything to help with the mobs that are trying to kill everyone. the good news, however, is that they did a great job fixing it in WvW, so it’s only a matter of time before it’s removed from the game entirely.

i have to admit though, it’s….. a little intimidating actually seeing just how many people you’re rushing into, or are rushing into you. but that’s something that passes as soon as you wipe them a couple of times. all in all, it’s a fantastic change.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

It’s a great change. I only wish it meant I would die less often. lol

Posted by: BadHabitZz.1856

BadHabitZz.1856

Well ye i see everybody but with 15fps on i5-2500k, 8BG RAM,GTX 660Ti its still unplayable…
I wonder how much do i have to turn down graphics to get some playble framerate?

(edited by BadHabitZz.1856)

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

Finally got into WvW last night, unable to get in since patch, on Seafarers Rest, viaing for nimber 1 Europeon WvW sever, so its very, very popular.

But, it was awesome compared to how it used to be, seeing hordes, upon hordes of enemy players charging towards you.

I don’t have the best pc in the world but I had no lag, none at all and there were 100’s of players all around.

Fantastic, great, ANet, a job very well done, a very big thanks from me.

Posted by: Saturn.6591

Saturn.6591

Yes, they did a great job with fixing it.

I didn’t do much PvE yet, but judging from what I experienced in Lions Arch yesterday, I think they made it so that you now always see the nametags of players (and monsters too?), even if the actual character-sprite didn’t load yet. Really nice.

I find it a bit irritating that titles now always get shown below character names, though (in PvE that is).

Posted by: WolfHeart.1256

WolfHeart.1256

Finally got into WvW last night, unable to get in since patch, on Seafarers Rest, viaing for nimber 1 Europeon WvW sever, so its very, very popular.
[…]
I don’t have the best pc in the world but I had no lag, none at all and there were 100’s of players all around.

Since I play there I can share my own oppinion about it. I play WvW alot, from solo roaming to small skirmishes with my group or large scale zerg battles.

After that patch, when everyone zergs up I can tell you the delay is unbearable. Sure, the culling is not a problem anymore, you can see all of 100 people from the enemy zerg that are knocking on your keep doors but the skill delay is atrocious. I can spam a skill for 10 15 seconds before it’s activated, the same goes for actions sometimes while fighting. Not ALL the time, but MOST of the time. I would say 70-80% of the time I spend in WvW (don’t even have to be in a fight anywhere or near anyone in sight)

Mind you, I own some sort of a space rocket as a PC due to my work as well as sporting 2 high-speed internet connections for the same reason, both of which have absolutely no problem with the game in any other content. At large events like Claw of Jormag there is no delay whatsoever.

My problem is not fps drop, I’ve got plenty of fps. My problem is skill delay, and that’s not on my part. And I’m not the only one since the chat is filled with people talking about it too. Out of roughly 6-8h I spend in WvW most of the time the delay is ungodly.

And then there’s those people who log in for 5-10 minutes that barely get to play anything in WvW and have tunnel vision for most of it while fighting so they don’t even notice their skills aren’t activating. And they come and post about how great it moves. No, it doesn’t. It needs a bit of improvement.

[WOLF] Howlerin || Seafarer’s Rest
“They say you are what you eat.
Which is funny ‘cause I don’t remember eating a f.ing legend”

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

@Wolfheart

Played WvW for 3-4 hours last night, honestly had no skill delay at all and I was in plenty of zergs…followed a couple of different commanders around…but we ended leaderless with no one as commander…so formed a small group and turned over supply camps, enemy dolyaks…generally raiding…never any skill button delay…

I know skill button delay when I experience it too, I have had it ALL the time at the World Events in PVE over the last month due to guesting…

Honestly there where loads of time when my screen was literally full of red and no skill delay…

Why I am getting no skill delay and you are I have no idea…

(edited by Meglobob.8620)

Posted by: RainbowSyrup.4130

RainbowSyrup.4130

Yes, they did a great job with fixing it.

I didn’t do much PvE yet, but judging from what I experienced in Lions Arch yesterday, I think they made it so that you now always see the nametags of players (and monsters too?), even if the actual character-sprite didn’t load yet. Really nice.

I find it a bit irritating that titles now always get shown below character names, though (in PvE that is).

I noticed this too. I always see name tags now, even though the model still takes time to load.

’’I’m sad hanar can’t wear sweaters’’
-Grunt

Posted by: Skugga.5298

Skugga.5298

Amazing screenshot ! now WvW looks like WvW !

Great job A-net !

Posted by: HiddenNick.7206

HiddenNick.7206

Well ye i see everybody but with 15fps on i5-2500k, 8BG RAM,GTX 660Ti its still unplayable…
I wonder how much do i have to turn down graphics to get some playble framerate?

I’m playing on i5-2500 and radeon 6850 both culling options set to High and I’m almost always at 20-60 fps (20 is in really BIG battles with more then 200 people). I think it’s running much better now with all those people then before with culling.

(edited by HiddenNick.7206)

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

It’s a great change. I only wish it meant I would die less often. lol

Same sentiments here. Seeing my first fully represented zerg actually did give me a clue as to why I was often dying before. Hopefully seeing the Sea of Red will serve as a stern warning for me to consider an alternate route in the opposite direction. It’s a very good change.

Posted by: Sovta.4719

Sovta.4719

Unless I’ve missed something recently, they specifically said the fix was PvP only and that PvE was not changed in this round.

Fun boys and logic is no no no.

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

Unfortunately, it also comes with some downsides. There is now much more lag, when a lot of players are running together. And because it is now possible to see all players, it’s a lot more effective to run in one or two large zergs, instead of small groups. Before, it wasn’t always possible to see if you outnumbered your foes, so there was a certain risk to attacking a group. But now that risk is gone.

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

I <3 the terrifying sea of red names.

Posted by: Hieronymus.2146

Hieronymus.2146

Yeah, Thanks Anet, great job.

The WvW is truly like two armies going at it now.

I had skill lag as well, but then I went out and bought a cable USB keyboard and mouse and voila, no more skill lag.

Also, I turn down all the GFX settings to low and cruise just fine with no stutters or lag what so ever.

I have an ancient Q9550 cpu and 650ti card.

Posted by: BadHabitZz.1856

BadHabitZz.1856

I’m playing on i5-2500 and radeon 6850 both culling options set to High and I’m almost always at 20-60 fps (20 is in really BIG battles with more then 200 people). I think it’s running much better now with all those people then before with culling.

You have CPU on stock speeds? Also whats you graphic settings, ill try turning off the reflection completlely. I had WvW settings on lowest rest maxed out except supersample and ultra shadows becuase thats how i play PvE and i have 50-60fps almost all the time but when ive tryed WvW at 26th there was fight with ~200ppl and ive seen numbers like 7fps…

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

And now I can’t blame culling for my own failures, wvw is finally playable again XD

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com