Culling removed in PvE

Culling removed in PvE

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: jwaz.1908

jwaz.1908

Me and a guildy just noticed that during jormag, we could see everyone and they used basic character models, guess anet sneaked in this fix? Graphics options would be nice to alter the culling though, and it seems culling hasn’t been removed from lion’s arch yet.

Attachments:

Brom Svánigandr – Druid
Nemata Sapshield – Dragonhunter
Lillian Estre – Tempest

Culling removed in PvE

Posted by: Dash.7108

Dash.7108

I can confirm that this also happened at Blackgate’s Jormag but I did not take any screenshots…

Culling removed in PvE

Posted by: Akragth.2350

Akragth.2350

Same on SOS, at Jormag too.

Culling removed in PvE

Posted by: zeromius.1604

zeromius.1604

I wonder what people will call the Claw of Jormag when the real Jormag is in the game.

Culling removed in PvE

Posted by: Segev.4108

Segev.4108

I wonder what people will call the Claw of Jormag when the real Jormag is in the game.

Claw.

Culling removed in PvE

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

OMG they fixed culling at Claw of Jormag!!!!!

Zillions of players, chat is flying with jokes and laughs and callouts for damage and it was amaaaaaazing!

TY so much, ArenaNet. I gained a new found respect on how difficult it must be to scale these large world events.

Pics – in front of me, behind me and you can’t see all the ones to the side of me haha.

Attachments:

Culling removed in PvE

jwaz.1908

Hmm? Don’t you mean the opposite?

Brom Svánigandr – Druid
Lillian Estre – Tempest

Culling removed in PvE

Karizee.8076

My pics were from Sanctum of Rall, btw.

Culling removed in PvE

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

This occurred on TC’s Jormag as well. I’m not sure it could be considered wholly a positive as I couldn’t even activate my healing skill, but it sure looked more cluttered. It was proof again that the display of title’s should be optional.

The absence of culling was certainly a positive in itself. I didn’t notice the usual players popping into and out of existence. It was more like WvW now. Odd that it would occur in one place out of the blue.

(edited by Raine.1394)

Culling removed in PvE

Karizee.8076

They said they had to rework the mob and npc models so I imagine as they get each zone finished they will disable culling on those maps.

It is so frikken amazing, if you get the chance go check it out!

Culling removed in PvE

Posted by: Curo.2483

Curo.2483

I don’t understand, is this a troll thread? OP posted a pic with a bunch of invisible people in it, and said culling is removed. Yet so many are confirming, so…plz explain.

Curo Lunesque – “Concerned Citizen and Community Builder”
NSP – northernshiverpeaks.org

Culling removed in PvE

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

I don’t understand, is this a troll thread? OP posted a pic with a bunch of invisible people in it, and said culling is removed. Yet so many are confirming, so…plz explain.

OP is running the game at the lowest settings. A few posts below are ones with the higher settings which will show the player models.

Culling removed in PvE

Posted by: Spiderwick.1879

Spiderwick.1879

Zillions of players, chat is flying with jokes and laughs and callouts for damage and it was amaaaaaazing!

TY so much, ArenaNet. I gained a new found respect on how difficult it must be to scale these large world events.

Pics – in front of me, behind me and you can’t see all the ones to the side of me haha.

Are you seriously using F6, F10, F12? Or is that for some other combination of keys? :O

Culling removed in PvE

Posted by: CharrGirl.7896

CharrGirl.7896

While I really appreciate something like this, I can’t help but wonder will it cause more damage to the performance. You’re probably running it on lowest settings, but I’m just stating my concern here, since they announced official removal of culling in PvE.

GW2 is so badly optimized, unlike newest games, which I can crank up on highest graphics + some really demanding options like tessellation, still run tons better then GW2, and I’ve heard lots of people complain how it just plain strains their ultra performance systems.

You should by all means include option to hide player models. Aion did this, and I remember it not entirely fixing lag issues and stuff, but it did reduce it. I think it can be activated by pressing Shift + F12 or something.

Another thing for PvE, limit particle effects, there is too much of them = more lag.

Culling removed in PvE

Karizee.8076

Are you seriously using F6, F10, F12? Or is that for some other combination of keys? :O

Lolz, no. G510 keyboard. I can 10-key faster than anyone I know, my brain just flips it around to do 18 keys with my left hand. For some reason I haven’t cared enough to fathom some of the G-keys show up as F-keys.

Culling removed in PvE

jwaz.1908

I am not trolling, as Ayrilana said I’m running on lowest graphics settings. The screenshot is suppose to show how every nameplate is now shown (instead of you only being able to see the names/people around you), in addition, the closest people to me are using basic character models now.

While I really appreciate something like this, I can’t help but wonder will it cause more damage to the performance.

I saw no decrease in performance, although like you said I was running on lowest graphics. I would really like options to alter culling too though, similar to wvw.

Brom Svánigandr – Druid
Lillian Estre – Tempest

Culling removed in PvE

Posted by: Nurgle.6597

Nurgle.6597

he won’t, they’re just going to do crapy living story stuff from now on so nothing to worry about

Culling removed in PvE

Posted by: Taku.6352

Taku.6352

Same thing on Desolation, gives a bit more feeling when you see more then 10 ppl there…

http://i.imgur.com/yZcTUHu.jpg

Culling removed in PvE

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

doesn’t really look like culling is gone to me. Just nameplates floating around all over the place. I would have expected the actual models of the characters.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Culling removed in PvE

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

Culling has not been removed. I did Balthazar and Grenth yesterday with a very nice guild from Stormbluff Isle, and not only I couldn’t even see the name of a lot of players around me, I also couldn’t see the name of plenty of enemies.

I’m playing in high visual settings. Maybe that’s why I still have culling.

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

Culling removed in PvE

Posted by: Tower Guard.5263

Tower Guard.5263

wow look at all those people.

Culling removed in PvE

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

Culling can be removed on a map basis. It can even be removed on a specific map from specific server basis probably.

Culling removed in PvE

Posted by: Magnus Steelgrave.6580

Magnus Steelgrave.6580

This may be the best thing that has happened to world boss events if this goes game wide.

Culling removed in PvE

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

I bet Anet doesn’t even realize they did this. They didn’t realize they increased his HP last patch either.

Culling removed in PvE

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Sounds like a bug, you should probably report it.

As they’ve mentioned previously, they’ve made no changes to claw, this is almost certainly a bug they accidently introduced when they tried to fix the first bug they introduced by “accident”.

Culling removed in PvE

Posted by: ThePaladin.2140

ThePaladin.2140

I guess we could start calling him.. claw of JorLAG badum tssss

Culling removed in PvE

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

Wow I wish this would happen on all the maps!
It would be so awesome.

Gunnar’s Hold

Culling removed in PvE

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

I really want to see the WvW portals in LA without culling right before a reset

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake