Curious why more people don't PvP or WvW

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: usnedward.9023

usnedward.9023

First off I put this topic here because hardcore PvEr’s wouldn’t see it in PvP or WvW forum.

In PvE people play for content and rewards right? Well I am a “casual” player and that term’s definition depends on the person. To me a casual player is one who gets in game does what he or she can but doesn’t necessarily get into raids or dungeons because time in my case doesn’t allow for dedication to run raids or upper tier dungeons. So for me to achieve the type of loot that these can generate is not always possible.

PvE is also static IMO which means every fight is the same though I understand Fractals other content may scale differently it is always the same. Teq, Shatterer, Wurm, dungeons, raids and what have you are always the same. Timers at certain points things happen but always the same with the only difference of outcome is completion.

Since I started really getting into WvW then introduced to PvP and season by new PvP guild I joined I have found so much more in regards to scenarios and loot via reward tracks. Every fight IS different because every player is different and no two groups are ever the same in play style and the loot track allows me to get shinies that I normally wouldn’t get. I am also focused on learning more about my profession and mechanics of each trait or weapon than I used to be.

As for my “casual” style I can easily do a 1, 2 or as many PvP matches as I want all while gaining rewards. I can walk away at anytime and come back and do more. WvW I can hook up with a tag, a roaming few and though the point is to capture the fights are different and once again the reward track gets me stuff I would never get in PvE. Also the same goes is I can leave WvW at any time and come back later and not have to worry “did I just bone the group?”.

I think if more people tried and researched as I have then there would be more in PvP competition and WvW could fill every map instead of piddle paddle with only one map on queue.

I don’t want to take anything away from PvE because I still do the world bosses and other content but the PvP and WvW options offer a lot more than what people think. Yes there are the elitists and hate spewers but really is rarer than I thought and definitely more rare than what I have found in past MMOs.

Just my thoughts

EDIT: mistypes

Granted Death – Necro
Consumed Hate – Thief
Unlucky Scrub – Ranger

(edited by usnedward.9023)

Posted by: Klowdy.3126

Klowdy.3126

I would say most people that don’t play PvP in this game, also do not play PvP in other games. Other, like myself, just don’t find it fun. I’ve given it a fair chance, and even when doing well, I don’t enjoy it. WvW is worse, but I haven’t had fun with world PvP since before they had BGs in WoW, and people were raiding major cities.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

This is just my personal reasons for not doing sPvP and rarely doing WvW:

I don’t like fighting other players. That’s it, really. I’ve never cared for PvP in any game I’ve played; it’s not fun for me, so I don’t do it. So, since sPvP is all fighting against other players, it’s not really my sort of thing. Thus, I avoid it.

Now, I’ve done a fair amount of WvW. I enjoy the PvE aspects of it (killing npcs to take objectives), but, as with sPvP, I do not enjoy fighting other players. If someone comes along and is obviously trying to attack me or someone in my group, then I’ll fight back. But that whole part of it still tends to not be very fun for me. So, I tend to avoid WvW, unless I’m just in a mood to do it or need something from that part of the game.

usnedward.9023

I would say most people that don’t play PvP in this game, also do not play PvP in other games. Other, like myself, just don’t find it fun. I’ve given it a fair chance, and even when doing well, I don’t enjoy it. WvW is worse, but I haven’t had fun with world PvP since before they had BGs in WoW, and people were raiding major cities.

BUT at least you tried. There are others I talk to in game that just won’t try it and that’s their choice and believe me I have been playing this game since release and just tried the PvP and other than some WvW dailies here and there never really got into it until i gave it a FAIR chance like you even though our outcome may be different I believe there are others out there that would enjoy it if they gave it the fair chance you did. You don’t like it and that is fine but at least you tried it

Granted Death – Necro
Consumed Hate – Thief
Unlucky Scrub – Ranger

Posted by: Linthenius.3704

Linthenius.3704

For me, its just I don’t enjoy pvp in the majority of online games. I have a tendency to get extremely frustrated in any form of online pvp type situations so I just avoid it all together.

I usually give the pvp options a fair shot in games I play for the first time, and unless its something that is truly amazing and adictive for me. I usually just stop after a few rounds and never go back.

usnedward.9023

This is just my personal reasons for not doing sPvP and rarely doing WvW:

I don’t like fighting other players. That’s it, really. I’ve never cared for PvP in any game I’ve played; it’s not fun for me, so I don’t do it. So, since sPvP is all fighting against other players, it’s not really my sort of thing. Thus, I avoid it.

Now, I’ve done a fair amount of WvW. I enjoy the PvE aspects of it (killing npcs to take objectives), but, as with sPvP, I do not enjoy fighting other players. If someone comes along and is obviously trying to attack me or someone in my group, then I’ll fight back. But that whole part of it still tends to not be very fun for me. So, I tend to avoid WvW, unless I’m just in a mood to do it or need something from that part of the game.

BUT you tried it too Maybe more have tried it and don’t like it than I really thought. Maybe I am just one of the rare people that find some enjoyment in it when other MMO games made me wanna smack my momma!

Granted Death – Necro
Consumed Hate – Thief
Unlucky Scrub – Ranger

Posted by: Doam.8305

Doam.8305

Esports ruined the game it’s the pivotal point when the game shifted and people started to take a darker more negative tone. Pvp changed glory was removed and not only unlockable skins but seperate armor locked to pvp were removed. In addition water and clone death wasn’t balanced or fixed but out right removed as well.

I haven’t pvp heavily since my armor, underwater, and glory were removed

The game follows trickle down balance patches with esports/pvp meta at the top this causes havok in WVW a perma stealth trap laying thief isn’t a threat in pvp they can’t cap or work with the team however it’s rather problematic in WVW but it doesn’t matter cause PVE and WVW don’t get balance patches. Remove clone death from the game or reduce visual skill effects not for PVE or WvW but rather for their esport community. WVW DBL didn’t have a ptr or community testing phase but dropped on us. People can write books around the wrong turns Anet has taken with WVW from splitting guilds post megaserver and worse yet smaller servers basically only have Eotm as an option. Standard WVW has turned into Eotm for smaller servers who are tossed about.

So yeah pvp and WVW are down for a reason and Anet knows it they even triumphed it after HoT. Statements about how a larger portion of gw2 players Raid compared to other games sound nice but other games balance and broken WVW and people bailing from other modes would natural make those involved with the one part regularly updated the majority. Though we are getting living world maps these days compared to back then.

(edited by Doam.8305)

usnedward.9023

For me, its just I don’t enjoy pvp in the majority of online games. I have a tendency to get extremely frustrated in any form of online pvp type situations so I just avoid it all together.

I usually give the pvp options a fair shot in games I play for the first time, and unless its something that is truly amazing and adictive for me. I usually just stop after a few rounds and never go back.

What got me addicted is losing. That made me want to get better. Made me study videos. I won’t say it is obsessive but just made me focus more. Also I am not stuck on a timer. Gotta be there for reset for Teq or gotta wait 45 minutes for TT to actually start and so on. Jump right in. PvP queue times are less than 3 minutes and WvW is 24 / 7 except for resets. Again to me the loot is what attracted me then the fighting made me stay

Granted Death – Necro
Consumed Hate – Thief
Unlucky Scrub – Ranger

usnedward.9023

The game follows trickle down balance patches with esports/pvp meta at the top this causes havok in WVW a perma stealth trap laying thief isn’t a threat in pvp they can’t cap or work with the team however it’s rather problematic in WVW but it doesn’t matter cause PVE and WVW don’t get balance patches. to back then.

I disagree here because thieves are problematic in PvP since when you may have played. 1 v 1 for the most part they wreak havoc and can kill fast on some or wreak enough discontent until cap help arrives. I don’t have an opinion on most of the stuff your wrote because I have no history with it. Good input though.

Granted Death – Necro
Consumed Hate – Thief
Unlucky Scrub – Ranger

Posted by: fishball.7204

fishball.7204

I don’t wvw anymore because server stacking, pop imbalances and the general unfun HoT meta has made it realllly boring. I used to play wvw every day but now maybe once every 6 months if lucky lol. It also doesn’t help there’s not much reason to play either.

PvP I do it but out of rewards only because it’s not fun for me. Conquest is boring and there is little to no build variety. Matchmaking sucks and half the time I’m being farmed by pro league duos or I’m farming some poor gold players.

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I’ve tried it. Did a couple of PvP hotjoin and wandered around WvW, both in zergs and alone. Didn’t interest me.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: coso.9173

coso.9173

Some of us don’t really care about competitive endgame. That’s why we don’t PvP. I care about story, lore, exploration, and sometimes achievements, also curious on how to break maps and glitch to get outside of the boundaries. PvP just doesn’t scratch any of those itches. Simple as that.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

1. My hand-based twitch reflexes deteriorated due to arthritis. I have limited ability to do anything about it. As a result, anyone who has good twitch is going to get an easy win. While I don’t mind that myself, I wouldn’t want to burden a team of people looking to have fun, so no sPvP.
  2. WvW zerg play is unintersting to me. I’m fine running a backline Ele, but since HoT popped, the new builds have meant the zerg game changed. Since it was less fun, I stopped paying attention and am likely behind on what I’d have to do to contribute effectively. I could catch up, but it would be spending time studying for a game element that I don’t find fun, so unless that changes, I mostly avoid the zerg.
  3. WvW roaming I still do sometimes, although it does get annoying when I run into someone with high sustain, high damage and high mobility all in one build. So, I still do roam a bit, but my enthusiasm for it is also waning.

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

i play the game to play hero, killing bandits, killing dragons, killing monsters, very hero.

Roaming in wvw, got killed by a better player or by a zerg, not so heroic, running in zerg winning a 10vs1 fight, not so heroic; losing a pvp match, not so heoic.

I have played wvw daily for 1 year but avoid fighting any player until rank 55, if i wasn’t being ambushed by a player and won that duel, i may still avoid any pvp fight today. Now i am rank 389 and play wvw most of my time.

Posted by: Bearhugger.4326

Bearhugger.4326

I’m just not a competitive person. PvP gets the worst of me and on top of that I’m a sore loser when I play against strangers so that puts me in a terrible mood, especially when I’m on my main. I also couldn’t care less about esport and competitive gaming and the fact that the devs have been pushing on making GW2 structured PvP an esport since the beginning guarantees that I will never step foot in a PvP arena. I don’t mind that PvP is an important part of the game, a MMO should absolutely try to have a diverse player base and I encourage Arenanet to make PvP as good as they can, but I want no part in it.

I’m more interested in story, solo play, exploration and role-playing. I don’t PvP but I don’t raid either to be quite honest.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I don’t care for sPvP as implemented in GW2.

I did enjoy WvW prior to the server linking system. Now I only go in to do dailies.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

WvW is hit or miss with vastly more misses than hits. Two of my most fun and memorable moments in the game has been in WvW but it is mostly a boring snooze where nothing happens or some lopsided fight(I’ve been on both sides of those on multiple occasions and neither side is remotely fun, interesting or exciting). So it is basically 1% the best thing you’ll ever experience in the game and 99% boredom.

As for PvP … I’ll just sum it up as not worth the effort. Can’t find any reason to care.

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

PvP balance(heck even general game design balance)…big enough reason to not play it.

WvW has been and will be dead for a looooooooong time until the devs decide to actually take some initiative and redesign how worlds work and what they actually want it to be useful for.

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

For me it’s a physical reaction. My body can’t take it with my condition. The last time I had to PvP for my guild (there were only a handful of us on, and we needed this one PvP mission to level up the guild and they begged me to join them) I came away with fast breathing and shaking hands. I thought I was having another crisis.

Years ago I played other games where you shoot each other down in airplanes with no problems. Now, my body rejects it all.

Don’t get old kids!

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

Answer/Guess : Those modes aren’t fun to the majority of players.

As far as I’m concerned, PvP is only good for reward tracks and dailies, nothing more. Skill doesn’t really matter all that much, just who has the better build, who gangs up on the others more (2/3 on 1s, anyone?), or who watches the capture points and special objectives better. To make it worse, my two favorite professions (necomancer/reaper and engineer) are barely useful at all there to begin with at this point.

WvW was never really fun. I remember when those borderlands counted for map completion as well, as I don’t miss those days at all. Once ArenaNet removed that, I left and never looked back, save for one or two times I decided to explore the new Desert Borderland. I don’t like zergs, and I don’t like being ganged up on by groups of raiders. And the reward tracks progress even slower than the PvP ones would, so…

On top of not being fun, both of these modes usually bring out the worst in people, myself included.

(edited by Nilkemia.8507)

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Esports ruined the game it’s the pivotal point when the game shifted and people started to take a darker more negative tone. Pvp changed glory was removed and not only unlockable skins but seperate armor locked to pvp and water and clone death wasn’t balanced or fixed but out right removed.

The game follows trickle down balance patches with esports/pvp meta at the top this causes havok in WVW a perma stealth trap laying thief isn’t a threat in pvp they can’t cap or work with the team however it’s rather problematic in WVW but it doesn’t matter cause PVE and WVW don’t get balance patches. Remove clone death from the game or reduce visual skill effects not for PVE or WvW but rather for their esport community. WVW DBL didn’t have a ptr or community testing phase but dropped on us. People can right books with the ring turns Anet has taken with WVW from splitting guilds post megaserver and worse yet smaller servers basically only have Eotm as an option. Standard WVW has turned into Eotm for smaller servers who are tossed about.

So yeah pvp and WVW are down for a reason and Anet knows it they even triumphed it after HoT. Statements about how a larger portion of gw2 players Raid compared to other games sound nice but other games balance and broken WVW and people bailing from other modes would natural make those involved with the one part regularly updated the majority. Though we are getting living world maps these days compared to back then.

Actually, there was a PTR/Community-testing period for the Desert Borderlands. You may have missed the opportunity to throw your hat in the ring, or missed the invitation.

The sub-forum is still listed in the Archive section.

Posted by: Doam.8305

Doam.8305

Esports ruined the game it’s the pivotal point when the game shifted and people started to take a darker more negative tone. Pvp changed glory was removed and not only unlockable skins but seperate armor locked to pvp and water and clone death wasn’t balanced or fixed but out right removed.

The game follows trickle down balance patches with esports/pvp meta at the top this causes havok in WVW a perma stealth trap laying thief isn’t a threat in pvp they can’t cap or work with the team however it’s rather problematic in WVW but it doesn’t matter cause PVE and WVW don’t get balance patches. Remove clone death from the game or reduce visual skill effects not for PVE or WvW but rather for their esport community. WVW DBL didn’t have a ptr or community testing phase but dropped on us. People can right books with the ring turns Anet has taken with WVW from splitting guilds post megaserver and worse yet smaller servers basically only have Eotm as an option. Standard WVW has turned into Eotm for smaller servers who are tossed about.

Actually, there was a PTR/Community-testing period for the Desert Borderlands. You may have missed the opportunity to throw your hat in the ring, or missed the invitation.

The sub-forum is still listed in the Archive section.

I guess I did miss that if it happened I do remember posts about features and directional changes. But guess I missed the part when they were taking input from the WVW community into its creation seems the majority did which only makes sense.

Other games have in game surveys so unless there was a survey that popped up when a player entered WVW they got information from people who don’t WVW, trolls/knights, or just randoms in general. All those choke points in dbl look like pvp’s dead set on breaking up zergs and creating smaller pvp scale battles. At the same time it makes it harder for roamed since they have to travel out in the open through some of those narrow paths. While tossing in a ton of mobs in certain areas and more walking that a PVE player would love.

I don’t see anything in dbl that I’d attribute to WVW players input other than the reimplementation of Alpine and some of the additions made post that change. WVW pulls on the same crowd that WoWs large scale PvP maps like Alterac Valley pull on so it’s shouldn’t be that hard to update and build on.

Posted by: Oxidia.8103

Oxidia.8103

Let me sum this up op: people don’t play pvp so much because it’s too much stress for not much of the reward, and you cry yourself to sleep after 10 matches. Matchmaking is horrible and everyone is formage.

Wvw is somethig like a-net’s middle unwanted child, it gets minimum attention, it wears clothes that pve have outgrown and they constantly forget to go wvw pta meetings at school saying they are busy with work and just can’t make it. It’s sad really, because the potential of wvw is massive but they claim they don’t have money for sending it to college, but younger and older sibilings are getting new iphones every year and tutoring classes.
People in wvw can repeat same content only so much before they get bored, therefore it’s mostly empty except on reset nights.

Posted by: HnRkLnXqZ.1870

HnRkLnXqZ.1870

For me it’s a physical reaction. My body can’t take it with my condition. The last time I had to PvP for my guild (there were only a handful of us on, and we needed this one PvP mission to level up the guild and they begged me to join them) I came away with fast breathing and shaking hands. I thought I was having another crisis.

Years ago I played other games where you shoot each other down in airplanes with no problems. Now, my body rejects it all.

Don’t get old kids!

I feel with you. But I have that problem since I started gaming. Once the opponent is a human being, my body goes crazy. Shaking hands what makes typing/character control impossible. If I force myself to fight, I am like petrified for a few minutes. I do my WvWvW dailies against npcs, and once I come across another player I either run or sit down and wait till he kills me.

dulfy-effect: Knowledge is power. But without fame, you are just a freak.

(edited by HnRkLnXqZ.1870)

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Don’t get old kids!

I feel with you. But I have that problem since I started gaming. Once the opponent is a human being, my body goes crazy. Shaking hands what makes typing/character control impossible. If I force myself to fight, I am like petrified for a few minutes. I do my WvWvW dailies against npcs, and once I come across another player I either run or sit down and wait till he kills me.

Yeah. Same thing really. I tried WvW but I simply don’t like attacking other people or being attacked by a real person. Simply seeing an opponent in WvW can be enough to make me start shaking. I wp out if I’m in there doing dailies and see an opponent now.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

Hate to say it, but GW2 PvP is boring.

Why? Same thing over and over and over and over.

HA was fun because you could get to the HoH and try to defend it from all comers. And then have your name announced as the winner across the entire game.

GvG and the Guild Ladder were a monthly showcase of fun that anyone interested could watch ingame (or bet some Z-keys on!). And that gold cape trim. That was exclusive, and really cool.

I kinda see where WvW was supposed to be a bigger, better version of AB, but yea, it missed the point and doesn’t really seem to have much to do with the rest of the game. You can’t own a town, for example, or move the front lines for your alliance across the map. I get there are WvW bonuses and stuff but they’re not really noticeable. Having a piece of the map that your guild owns, has their name on it, and a special area only your alliance could go to was pretty cool.

And let’s face it: all WvW is is who can bring the biggest zerg at any given time. Not very interesting for very long, that.

Overall GW2 PvP feels like a very lazy, watered-down version of GW PvP. The things that were interesting about GW PvP don’t really exist in GW2 PvP.

Just my opinion. I was bored of GW2 PvP within a month after launch. Just no hook there to keep my interest. I hate to be so harsh, but ArenaNet did a much better job of it in Guild Wars, and seemed to have missed the point in GW2.

(edited by Chuo.4238)

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

If pve had enemies like the Heart of the Mists class npcs with hitpoints similar to that of enemy players in wvw, and which have a downstate you can stomp, I would find pve combat fun to play.

I think those nightmare enemies during the Scarlet story which had a downstate were fun to fight against.

Otherwise I find repetitive rotations against bullet sponges with millions of hp ridiculously boring and painful for the mind. NPC AI is not intelligent or creative – it just repeats the same thing over and over again till you memorise the pattern. For a game that is almost an action rpg or even fighting game I feel that kind of enemy does not provide the type of challenge that brings the most satisfaction.

Tbh I’d rather not fight other players, I’d rather play pve but the combat is too boring so I am encouraged to play pvp/wvw for the kind of satisfaction I crave. Note, this is NOT the satisfaction of beating other players – instead it is the satisfaction in the flow of combat, where enemies are unpredictable, hitpoints are low and can be burst, there is the fun of the stomping animation and so on…

Posted by: Vukorep.3081

Vukorep.3081

TLDR: I am a casual pve player with lots of time, i only started playing pvp very actively because pvp leagues were introduced, specifically ,because i wanted to get a few wings skins (not the entire legendary backpack) but instead i manged (will manage in a week) to get the entire legendary backpack

I am a “casual in heart”. While i do have lots of free time to spend in gw2 (and i do) i play many different things on many different characters all the time. I rarely raid, i rarely do fractals but i do some ocasional dungeons here and there.

I do things in order to get very specific rewards that i wish at that time. I do dungeons cause i wanted a few dungeon skins, or achievements related to dungeons so i can get mastery points.

over the past 4 years i used to do maybe 1-2 pvp games per week (which,after the patch, brought me up to wolf rank) But it was only during the introduction of PvP leagues and legendary backpack when i really started playing pvp more frequiently.

My first goal was to get at least the first 2 wings, maybe i could get also the 3rd one (because i spend half a year without internet,missing some leagues completely).

But because i was very very active during the first 2 pvp leagues i am now getting the complete legendary backpack + glider which is amazing to me.

I made a post maybe 20 days ago about me realizing that i can get the backpack in 25 days if i win 4 matches and get 5 top stats per day. I am about a week away from achieving it and i will make a 2nd thread with some statistics of the things i acquired trough the last pvp season.

Posted by: Rashagar.8349

Rashagar.8349

I never really did pvp all that much, the most I played was when stronghold was in beta, but I stopped again after because I don’t like feeling like I’m letting teammates down. In the last week or so I decided the ranked rewards were enough of a reason for me to be selfish and say screw the teammates I’m here for me, and I’ve actually found to my shock that I occasionally amn’t terrible! Or at least amn’t the worst.

Wvw I go through phases of it being my favourite game mode to just having barely enough motivation for popping in to do dailies.

usnedward.9023

I appreciate everyone’s comments. It seems all of you have at least tried it which is good so the opinion matters. I think it takes a different type of person to PvP and what you get or want to get out of it. I always likes PvP in most games but there were disadvantages because of teams. I like the idea of teams and think ANET should consider adding it back in (I hear there used to be team) but also leave the current queue type. Guild versus Guild would be nice and I will say WvW is not the place for it. Separate area where guilds can smash each other around

Like I said for me it is about rewards first but also learning the mechanics of my two toons I PvP with and how to survive and all. It is not for everyone and I get that.

I think I am done with this thread but I will check on it here and there. I was hoping there was someone like me out there that would respond.

Granted Death – Necro
Consumed Hate – Thief
Unlucky Scrub – Ranger

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

If pve had enemies like the Heart of the Mists class npcs with hitpoints similar to that of enemy players in wvw, and which have a downstate you can stomp, I would find pve combat fun to play.

I think those nightmare enemies during the Scarlet story which had a downstate were fun to fight against.

Otherwise I find repetitive rotations against bullet sponges with millions of hp ridiculously boring and painful for the mind. NPC AI is not intelligent or creative – it just repeats the same thing over and over again till you memorise the pattern. For a game that is almost an action rpg or even fighting game I feel that kind of enemy does not provide the type of challenge that brings the most satisfaction.

Tbh I’d rather not fight other players, I’d rather play pve but the combat is too boring so I am encouraged to play pvp/wvw for the kind of satisfaction I crave. Note, this is NOT the satisfaction of beating other players – instead it is the satisfaction in the flow of combat, where enemies are unpredictable, hitpoints are low and can be burst, there is the fun of the stomping animation and so on…

+1 lots of good points.

I’ve been playing a good amount of WvW with guild, and it’s been my main game mode for years. Largely because of what Curunen said above. The sad fact is that even the NPC’s in WvW offers a better fight than 99% of npc’s in PVE. But largely I just loved that feeling of danger, the need to look over my shoulder to see if I was being followed, that something could happen at any time. Never had that in PvE (with notable exception of Freddy in the halloween Labyrinth)

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”

Posted by: ShinjoNaomi.1896

ShinjoNaomi.1896

Because I don’t like PvP.
I’ve tried both sPvP and WvW, and both have left me feeling nothing but frustration and anger.
Frustration at myself for not doing better, frustration at the other player who seems to be better at absolutely everything no matter how I work and change my playstyle or profession or build…
And anger at the jerkwads who wave their tiny kittens in my face, yell at me about how much I suck and how I’m only good for dying or how great they are for being able to press buttons on a keyboard. Behavior that they can only get away with because they can hide on the internet.

In short, my experiences in Player vs Player games and game modes have been terrible.
I don’t like how I’m treated, I don’t like how other people act, and I don’t like how I get.
Thus, I no longer have any interest in it.

“If half as many people were half as brave in real life as they were online…
… The human race would never have to worry about be oppressed again.”
I think trolls should have their computers smashed. ’Its all part of the game. U mad bro?’

Posted by: Shwyx.8190

Shwyx.8190

I’m very interested in PVP and WvW, because I enjoy a challenge, and because I’m a competitive person. I’ve reached rank ~70 in WvW and played through the current PvP season, currently ranked mid silver.

I am no longer playing WvW …

• because the rewards are exceptionally bad compared to any other game mode
  • because there is no dynamic open world PvP (basically what it’s advertised as), but instead you either play a lone wolf fighting NPCs, or you join a zerg fighting NPCs as well and avoiding other zergs

I will stop playing PvP the moment the season ends because …

• the map pool is volatile, ranging from decent maps like Foefire to gimmicky, frustrating maps like Kyhlo
  • there is no check for mulitple (or triple, or quadruple) classes
  • most importantly: because the oh-so-friendly community of GW2 drops its mask upon entering the PVP queue, rivaling and at times even surpassing the LoLs and Battlefields of this world. Exceptional hostility over rather trivial content.

I do not feel rewarded for playing WvW, and I am not having fun in PvP due to imbalances and the player base.

Posted by: ThomasC.1056

ThomasC.1056

Because I don’t like PvP.
I’ve tried both sPvP and WvW, and both have left me feeling nothing but frustration and anger.
Frustration at myself for not doing better, frustration at the other player who seems to be better at absolutely everything no matter how I work and change my playstyle or profession or build…
And anger at the jerkwads who wave their tiny kittens in my face, yell at me about how much I suck and how I’m only good for dying or how great they are for being able to press buttons on a keyboard. Behavior that they can only get away with because they can hide on the internet.

In short, my experiences in Player vs Player games and game modes have been terrible.
I don’t like how I’m treated, I don’t like how other people act, and I don’t like how I get.
Thus, I no longer have any interest in it.

Same here. I’ve tried PvP with friends and family, and I enjoy things like scouting in WvW.

But I don’t like competitive gameplay. First, some players want to win, and not to play. And by win, they mean crush, obliterate and humiliate you. Whenever a competitive game mode runs online, it provides that kind of toxic behaviour. I’ve had nice fights in PvP and WvW, I sometimes lost to nice people, and it made me want to try again. Those were the exception.

Also, the fact that most of the fights are more or less boring because of lack of build diversity, and the trend being : “let the fight end as fast as possible”.

Posted by: Justfor.6018

Justfor.6018

I don’t PvP or WvW because I play to relax myself. Competing against other players stresses me out.
I did try WvW 2-3 years ago. My Guild kept a small team “roaming” the WvW areas, guerrilla-style.
Basically it was running like beheaded chickens from one point to another.

When I did join the WvW zergs, I was usually left behind because I was trying to find the way to get a POI or Vista and by the time I got it, everybody else was half map away. Then I’d rush to meet them just to get ganked and on top of that, I’d need to pay the armor repairs (yep, it was back in those days).

Overall, stressing. Not my style of play.

I like to take my time to do things: check a Vista (some are breathtaking), go all the way back because maybe I forgot a node, or stopping 25 minutes in the middle of nowhere because I ran into somebody that has that awesome-looking top that maybe I have somewhere in my wardrobe and that might look great with the Whisper leggings and…. Get it?

Posted by: blueberry.2504

blueberry.2504

After reaching the 30 + age i grew over it. Too much immature drama for my taste. Which is nothing new in the online pvp scene, i experienced it already when playing gw 1 pvp and quake 3 even before that. It gets tiresome at a certain age. Pve gives me what i want from a game. A good balance of fun, immersion and challenge. Just like the single player games i play.

Posted by: Kraggy.4169

Kraggy.4169

Some of us don’t really care about competitive endgame. That’s why we don’t PvP. I care about story, lore, exploration, and sometimes achievements, also curious on how to break maps and glitch to get outside of the boundaries. PvP just doesn’t scratch any of those itches. Simple as that.

Pretty much applies to me too .. I’m totally not an end-gamer, for me it’s the journey not the arrival, and PVP has absolutely nothing that makes me want to even try it.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

For me, too many take PvP and sometimes WvW WAY to seriously which leads to a toxic atmosphere for those who simply want to play for fun. I do WvW but I’m a roamer who capture camps and take down dolyaks. But I’m under no misconception that I can go one on one, much less one on many, with anybody who’s into competitive PvP or WvW.

Same is also true with dungeons and fractals with the presumption that this is the 1000th time everyone is doing it and everyone is well versed in tactics to clear it as fast as possible. There is no room for newbs 95% of the time to even learn the ropes.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Odin the exiled.5764

Odin the exiled.5764

Exactly Behllagh, that’s why i feel many stay away too is how toxic they can be and players just don’t wanna see it. One of my friends from gw1 is kitten year old lady, she’s not fast on the button pressing, stands still alot too, so how would you expect her to handle wvw or pvp? It’d be very very frustrating for her, being yelled at by her own team for stinking when she’s trying her best, let alone being face rolled by the other team. The only pvp she actually does is a custom blue team wins, where the WHOLE goal is to make it fun with no name calling, trolling, no pressure, keeping the atmosphere fun for everyone’s skill level.

I even tried doing pvp on my alt account so i could get it into ranked matches to get it ascended gear. It’s a non-HoT account, and it was very frustrating to play unranked to get to rank 20 because your dealing with either teams 3-5 vs. all random, Skill level is not considered at all so you can get very lopsided fights, which just creates toxic players. You also run into guild teams of 5 where those 5 players are all an op class and top 100 ranked pvp’ers doing unranked just so they can faceroll everyone to inflate their egos. Again it makes pvp not fun nor worth the time for many since it’s much easier to avoid this kind of atmosphere.

For wvw, right now im not doing it as much since i’ve been doing the ranked pvp to get ascended so my dailies are done there, but once the season is over which thankfully is soon. I’ll go back to doing my 1-2 wvw dailies plus pve dailies. And even once i go back to wvw it’s just not fun for me. I’m just an avg. player stuck in T1 wvw and the peak time for my server is much much smaller then the other’s in T1 so your almost always being ganked by 3-10 players. Not to mention the crafting stations have been removed from wvw so im there even less, so i never know when WK/EK are being attacked. At least when the crafting stations were there, i could be crafting and would see someone shout 10 BG at EK cataspot wall 75%, and i could head over to help them, making me stay longer and actually do wvw, now im just in there to finish 1 or 2 fast dailies and if nothing “exciting” is happening during that time, then im outta there

Also i find since megaservers were added, the wvw players don’t come to LA anymroe to shout NEED HELP AT EK HOME BORDERLAND like they used to. Since there is no point since chances of having others from your home server are much smaller now. My server used to have a player roleplay as a new’s anchor for wvw and he/she would always come to LA and let us know how we were doing in wvw or if we needed help on a near daily basis. Since megaserver that player doesnt do that anymore cuz their is no point

Posted by: ZombieLeach.5862

ZombieLeach.5862

I would play wvw more if there was more emphassas on seige warfare and large scale battles instead of stealing keeps behind server’s backs and bouncing off zergs like a map wide game of pinball.

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

I’ve played gw1 going on 12 years and never really did too much pvp.
In gw2 though I play alot of wvw roaming (~2k) and a little bit of spvp (think I shark rank).

I think people that don’t play alot of pvp are more comfortable with the predictable/learnable encounters of pve. If you forced these players into a pvp mode the ones who didn’t perma ragequit early would probably see the truth that modes like wvw are. Unending content that is repeatable through randomized encounters. The other gate for PvErs is a team. No one in wvw uses the lfg and solo roaming is not a very pleasant experience for new people.

Posted by: Odin the exiled.5764

Odin the exiled.5764

personally i still go back to gw1 from time to time to play FA/JQ or RA as they’re more enjoyable then gw2 wvw or spvp

Posted by: Faereilos.5106

Faereilos.5106

Don’t get old kids!

Glad I’m not the only one >_< When I’m fighting against another player my anxiety causes me to shake and lose focus, and ingame it looks like I’ve no idea what I’m doing. Sometimes it gets so bad I have to turn off the game and do something else. Having to wvw for my gift of battle is pure torture right now…

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Don’t get old kids!

Glad I’m not the only one >_< When I’m fighting against another player my anxiety causes me to shake and lose focus, and ingame it looks like I’ve no idea what I’m doing. Sometimes it gets so bad I have to turn off the game and do something else. Having to wvw for my gift of battle is pure torture right now…

Just do the non competitive WvW dailies. Takes a bit longer but you will get there without as much anxiety.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

I’m not generally a fan of pvp. I’m not really skilled enough to enjoy it nor am I motivated enough to pursue improving myself in that game mode. I’m not adverse to doing it on occasion mind you, maybe for the reward tracks or just to add variety, but generally I’ll avoid it.

WvW I could never truly gel with. I do dabble in the odd EOTM or zerg wars, but only as a means to an end (currency for guild hall, gift of battle, certain reward tracks). I had hoped for either a decent siege warfare game or something as excellent and accessible as GW1 Alliance Battle (the only form of MMO pvp I’ve ever enjoyed). It has never been either.

Most of it can be attributed to a skill ceiling I’m not prepared to break, in the same way that raids are. I never complain about the existence of these modes, but I’m not going to push myself to learn meta builds or cooldown timings or read enemy attacks. I play nowadays to mess around and have fun, rather than challenge myself beyond necessary.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

I think there’s something that’s missing from the topic and it’s not necessarily a matter of wanting to fight other players or NPCs or whatnot, though that’s certainly an issue. EOTM is very popular, and a destination for many pvers looking to get achievements or WvW related things, but a lot of these people won’t go into WvW. Well, I think the fact that many don’t take it as seriously tends to be a factor.

For example, I WvW a lot but I don’t care for PvP much. But I don’t care for PvP not because I don’t like killing other players (in reality, I actually do); it’s due to the same reasons why I don’t care for high end pve content— it’s a time commitment you have to spend with a small group of strangers and I think that can bring problems.

In PvE or WvW, you can pretty much come and leave as you please. You can decide to leave if you find the people on your map notcooperative or if you find yourself unable to work with them. Sure, you can abandon a dungeon or PvP, but you’re screwing up the game for 4-9 other people, and that’s undesirable.

And there’s definitely the advantage to the anonymous crowd which is why I think Anet made a good choice when they had anonymous enemies in WvW. The people that wanted to stick out found ways in the end as well. And of course, these venues allow for huge crowds, which to many of us puts the M in MMO.

Finally, there’s also times when I’d rather act on my own as well as opposed to playing with a team.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Posted by: aerial.7021

aerial.7021

@Original post “First off I put this topic here because hardcore PvEr’s wouldn’t see it in PvP or WvW forum.”

PvE hardcore only

Anyway having said that; the base reason is I like equality, which means I don’t like the idea of builds and the RNG of it all, I’m quite happy playing other mini-games normally only during festivals because the playing field is levelled.

Server: Gate of Madness

Posted by: Daddicus.6128

Daddicus.6128

The biggest reason was that while trying to get the mapping title (WvW), people kept killing me. Even if I wrote in chat “just mapping”, I was a target.

That made the whole experience very negative. And, WvW was supposed to be a hybrid of PvP and PvE. I couldn’t imagine how hard-nosed people in PvP would be, and I never wanted to find out, either.

I played enough PvP in GW1 to last a lifetime. And, even though I scored all of the points possible, it was never really fun. It was a chore.

Most importantly, though, I like cooperation, story, and immersion. I’m currently playing through all of the storyline missions (core). The amount of overlap between the races, orders, and characters is stunning. The stories are quite different, even though they’re storyline-limited.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

The biggest reason was that while trying to get the mapping title (WvW), people kept killing me. Even if I wrote in chat “just mapping”, I was a target.

Enemies can’t see your chat.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Add me to those who don’t like to fight other players. I much prefer cooperative helpful play. I have on occasion successfully PvPd, but as a rule going into a situation where other players can decide to make my day suck (or I can empathically imagine I’ve just made someone else’s day suck) kicks up the adrenaline and tension. It sours my belly, tightens my neck, I think I hold my breath because I get short of air, and I end up feeling trembly. I don’t like feeling paranoid and in danger. I managed world completion twice back when it required WvW and really hated running to the exploration spots repeatedly as others killed me in sight of the poi I needed. It made my task frustrating, plus it bothered me that I was using up a spot without helping my server. (I had done actual server help stuff in WvW with guildies a number of times before I just couldn’t be bothered with the stress any more, so I understood that my non-contribution while exploring was an issue).

I also loathe trash talk. I don’t feel insulted or hurt by it, I am actually rather amused by the way in which it shows up the trash talker as an insecure, immature idiot, but I’d flatly rather hang out in areas where people value being nice to each other.

I’ve tried a bit of SPvP, both actual fighting (well, at least I beta tested the map with the skritt bombers, and won my fight there) and a custom arena where people go to do dailies in a cooperative manner. It did not thrill me. The only PvP Activity I enjoy is Sanctum Sprint, possibly because that is a linear course with plenty of fun things to do with traps and zaps but no need to keep hyper alert in a 360 degree surrounding.

I don’t think PvP is a bad thing. Some people really enjoy it, including a lot of my RP friends. I’ve even enjoyed it in short bursts when dragged in by friends. But as an ongoing thing, well, it’s not what I want in a game, it’s not what keeps me playing, and games where I can’t avoid it (hello, Age of Conan RP-PvP server, hello ArcheAge, hello BDO) are games I leave pretty fast. (I admit that there were other problems with the listed games that would have had me leave, but number one in all of them was open world PvP).