Currently faster to craft to 80

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kryptonite.9376

Kryptonite.9376

Via CoF p1. I know many of you are saying, well yeah you have to spend the money, but technically you don’t be cause dungeon is so broken.

All crafts cost about 60g total, running cof p1 grants about 4g/hour if you’re doing it leisurely. Meaning in 15-20 hours you can farm enough gold back, so unless you can level 1-80 in under 15-20 hours which is superhuman, there’s no reason to be re-exploring the open world on an alt since it’s no fun and zones are all dead. If you work your way up to level 10 at least, or 20, you can cut the costs of it dramatically by excluding one of the more expensive 10g+ professions out as well.

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

… there’s no reason to be re-exploring the open world on an alt since it’s no fun and zones are all dead.

This is where your entire post breaks down. The assumptions that every zone is dead and that no one could conceivably enjoy single player / small-scale multi player are wrong.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: Kryptonite.9376

Kryptonite.9376

… there’s no reason to be re-exploring the open world on an alt since it’s no fun and zones are all dead.

This is where your entire post breaks down. The assumptions that every zone is dead and that no one could conceivably enjoy single player / small-scale multi player are wrong.

Uhh, no, it isn’t. Because no one does unless its their first character. Also, you can still enjoy dead zones at level 80.

Posted by: Sebulon.7683

Sebulon.7683

I have 100% map completion on 2 characters, I like zone exploring. Your argument is invalid.

Posted by: Tuluum.9638

Tuluum.9638

Via CoF p1. I know many of you are saying, well yeah you have to spend the money, but technically you don’t be cause dungeon is so broken.

All crafts cost about 60g total, running cof p1 grants about 4g/hour if you’re doing it leisurely. Meaning in 15-20 hours you can farm enough gold back, so unless you can level 1-80 in under 15-20 hours which is superhuman, there’s no reason to be re-exploring the open world on an alt since it’s no fun and zones are all dead. If you work your way up to level 10 at least, or 20, you can cut the costs of it dramatically by excluding one of the more expensive 10g+ professions out as well.

Did you factor in the time it takes to actually do the crafting?

I still think it may be a bit faster. It certainly is easier on the keyboard.. but, it might not be as large of a discrepancy as JUST the time it takes to earn the gold. Also have to factor in time used to purchase items, organizing inventory, and the actual crafting. Its not much, but over such a large sample, it adds up.

I got my last character to 80 in… 40 hours or so. No crafting. Could have gone a bit faster, but overall, it was a good run to 80 with nice xp trains in wvw along with doing personal story (good xp in general) and random hearts (not too many).

Henosis [ONE]
06-04-13
NEVER FORGET

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

Uhh, no, it isn’t. Because no one does unless its their first character. Also, you can still enjoy dead zones at level 80.

Rubbish. I’m not “no one” and I’m currently levelling six characters through open world play and some storyline. I find the maps have various levels of fun-ness and not terribly dead.

You’ve made the generalisation to end all generalisations. Grats!

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Um..I haven’t leveled up any of my characters using crafting alone. I have just started my sixth character. Seven hours, and she is level 12 and half. (My sixth character has only crafted 25 items for a daily.) This is not to say I’ve never crafted, as I have maxed out three disciplines, but using only what materials I have collected on my way exploring the open world. =)

Thus, I am afraid that claiming ‘no one’ levels their subsequent characters except through crafting is not quite true. (Besides, leveling out in the world is a heck of a lot more fun!) =P

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

I have 3 lvl 80 toons, all with their PS complete and 5 other toons around lvl 30~40 with barely touching any craft skill, and I love mapping / open word PvE.
You are the kind of person that thinks that your point of view is the right one.

Answering your question, check this site: http://www.gw2crafts.net/ , there are normal and fast guides, just buy all the ingredients required then level your alt, for whatever reason you want.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Posted by: Dubblebass.8519

Dubblebass.8519

Yeah, I actually like playing the game in open world. Sometimes I go to new zones that I don’t frequent on my 80s, and other times I like to play the same zones. shrug The great thin about the game is that you can level however you wish! Just don’t tell me I am wrong for doing it the way I prefer.

Kieron Asbjorn – 80 Guardian | Saiuri – 80 Elementalist
Xylani – 80 Ranger | Osoroshii – 80 Warrior
GoM [LGG][COI]

Posted by: Clouded Judgement.7834

Clouded Judgement.7834

Your logic is flawed.

1 complete craft gains 10 levels.
You have to level 80 times.
This means 8 crafts.

8×60 = 480g

480g at 4g per hour would equal 120 hours.

Simple answer: Crafting is NOT faster.

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

I have three 80s and eight lower level alts. I’ve gained some levels through crafting but not to 80, and I’ve explored the world many times over. It’s one of the things I enjoy about the game and no matter where I go I see others wandering the landscape as well. So your assertions are invalid, but keep saying it, I heard on the internet that if you keep saying something it will magically become true.

Posted by: IronPlushy.4256

IronPlushy.4256

never understood people who would rather not play the game, that is very very sad. like why are you here if you don’t enjoy the game?

Posted by: Sunflowers.1729

Sunflowers.1729

Um, the 60 gold is the total cost to level all 8 crafting disciplines to 400.

At a slow rate of 5 g/hr, It will take you 12 hours to farm the gold, and then add in another 3 hours to craft. If you use a crafting booster, the total cost decreases by 33% to 40 gold, which only takes 8 hours to farm.

Nobody can level a character from 1-80 in 15 hours, so if you are just concerned about the time, CoF P1 is the fastest way to level.

However, there are people who like to explore the world, so that always remains a decent option. Personally I get bored of exploring after lv 30 and just craft all the way.

Posted by: Chaos.7231

Chaos.7231

Your logic is flawed.

1 complete craft gains 10 levels.
You have to level 80 times.
This means 8 crafts.

8×60 = 480g

480g at 4g per hour would equal 120 hours.

Simple answer: Crafting is NOT faster.

60g for all 8 crafts.

Hardcore Casual [8 Level 80s – No Legendary]
80 R | 80 W | 80 G | 80 E | 80 M | 80 E | 80 N | 80 T
- Tarnished Coast Server

Posted by: Blaine Tog.8304

Blaine Tog.8304

I’m sorry to hear you don’t enjoy leveling alts and playing through PvE content as much as others do. It seems like you’re missing out. Hopefully there’s other content for you to enjoy, though! If not, there are surely other games or forms of entertainment you’d enjoy more.

That said, I think it’s great how you can craft to skip some levels. If you’ve already had your fill of leveling, you can still have level 80 alts to play with if you just want to craft for a while. Options!

I main Ele and Necro, though I have an alt of each profession at level 80.
How to Condi Reaper on a budget
Everything I say is only in reference to PvE and WvW.

(edited by Blaine Tog.8304)

Posted by: Athrun.7625

Athrun.7625

so your advice to to level to 80 by farming CoF p1 to craft, just to be level 80 where all you will do… is farm CoF p1, have you even played the rest of the game, or do you log on each day to play CoF p1 for 6 hours?

Posted by: Slither Shade.4782

Slither Shade.4782

Standing in front of a crafting table is so mind numbingly boring. Tried leveling via crafting and ran away screaming shortly after. Its a combination of zones, events, dungeons, and now wvwvw. 80 mes, 80 war, 80 thief, 80 ele and only one lvl 400 craft between them. Just saying everyone does not level via crafting.

Posted by: Blaine Tog.8304

Blaine Tog.8304

Standing in front of a crafting table is so mind numbingly boring. Tried leveling via crafting and ran away screaming shortly after. Its a combination of zones, events, dungeons, and now wvwvw. 80 mes, 80 war, 80 thief, 80 ele and only one lvl 400 craft between them. Just saying everyone does not level via crafting.

It’s pretty quick and easy if you follow a guide. Pre-buy all the materials, then craft exactly what you need. It can take less than 30 minutes per crafting profession.

I main Ele and Necro, though I have an alt of each profession at level 80.
How to Condi Reaper on a budget
Everything I say is only in reference to PvE and WvW.

Posted by: Astraea.6075

Astraea.6075

I can sort of understand why people would use crafting to help level their alts, but I’m not sure why people think it’s necessary to reach level 80 as fast as possible. The way this game is structured, there’s not a lot of content that requires you to be level 80 to participate, so I personally don’t see the point in racing to 80.

Posted by: Tobbygnome.6793

Tobbygnome.6793

Then what do you do when you’re 80 :P
Farm CoF P1 to get gear xD
By which time – “If you hurry, you will be witness to her death!”

Posted by: Rhaps.8540

Rhaps.8540

I enjoy it. I would much rather lvl up from open world than do the same dungeon for 15 hours then spend many hours tediously crafting. Stop trying to speak for other people. I don’t care if your method is faster, again you’re assuming that we are all in some desperate race to level up.

How you enjoy playing =/= how everyone enjoys playing.

Seafarer’s Rest – Guild Leader The Deamon Army [TDA]

Posted by: Zavve.8205

Zavve.8205

Woah, way to generalize the entire GW2 population. I am on my 4th character and I still explore and do all the zones. I find new things all the time and my experience is always different. Oh and I have tons of fun.

Posted by: Kichwas.7152

Kichwas.7152

there’s no reason to be re-exploring the open world on an alt since it’s no fun

There’s also no reason to even log in at all.

The fastest way to earn in this game is to just to quit. Then you won’t waste time OR money on it.

Since you already hate playing the game, why stay?

Bye.

Next?

http://kichwas.wordpress.com/ – GW2 Blog Presenting the Opposing View
JAH Bless – Equal Rights and Justice for all.
Justice And Honor – Tarnished Coast.

Posted by: Geunyoung.2973

Geunyoung.2973

I can sort of understand why people would use crafting to help level their alts, but I’m not sure why people think it’s necessary to reach level 80 as fast as possible. The way this game is structured, there’s not a lot of content that requires you to be level 80 to participate, so I personally don’t see the point in racing to 80.

Well you do agree then, that there are content “requiring” level 80 to participate (Quotations only because, although said content can be done below 80, it would be much more difficult). Those content are what a decent number of players strive to work towards, therefore, would you say it’s wrong to want to get to that point as quick as possible?

Posted by: Rhaps.8540

Rhaps.8540

Well you do agree then, that there are content “requiring” level 80 to participate (Quotations only because, although said content can be done below 80, it would be much more difficult). Those content are what a decent number of players strive to work towards, therefore, would you say it’s wrong to want to get to that point as quick as possible?

Yes, because the content is more of the same.

Seafarer’s Rest – Guild Leader The Deamon Army [TDA]

Geunyoung.2973

Yes, because the content is more of the same.

I don’t see how the content is more of the same, but I respect your opinion.

Posted by: Lafiel.9372

Lafiel.9372

The problem is, what to do with a level 80 character which has 1 % world exploration. It’s much better to just enjoy the ride and level with a bit of everything so by the time you hit 80, you’ve at least uncovered a little bit of every map for you to travel around efficiently.

Posted by: Astraea.6075

Astraea.6075

I wasn’t referring to the fact that some content is easier at level 80 due to downscaling/upscaling mechanics, but to the small number of high level zones and dungeons. It seems to me that a lot of people rush to max level expecting a better experience than they can get while leveling but the game’s structure means that it’s not actually required to do so.

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

there’s no reason to be re-exploring the open world on an alt since it’s no fun and zones are all dead.

Yeah totally.

I bet you have all JPs and hidden areas discovered via dulfy guides.

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

Kinda drunk atm, not gonna read rest of thread but will reply to this……

The very same thing can be said for your reply.

The assumptions that every zone is not dead and that everyone can conceivably enjoy single player/ small scale multi player are wrong.

I’m not necessarily saying you are wrong, but you argument seems to be.

Serenity now~Insanity later

Geunyoung.2973

I wasn’t referring to the fact that some content is easier at level 80 due to downscaling/upscaling mechanics, but to the small number of high level zones and dungeons. It seems to me that a lot of people rush to max level expecting a better experience than they can get while leveling but the game’s structure means that it’s not actually required to do so.

Well I can argue that EVERY dungeon is kitten near impossible, unless you’re maxed level. Everything from level 30 (I believe that’s the lowest) dungeons all the way up to Arah. So basically, you’re limited to either running around the same zones, doing renowns, or craft your way to level 80. One method takes an average of 40 hours to get maxed, and the other takes about 8 hours and about 45 gold? It you’re running multiple characters, you’ll either be doing the same monotonous things (renowns etc), or the same monotonous things (CoF gold farming). So I guess the point of my argument is- Who kittening cares what you do? Do what the hell you want, it’s all the same.

Posted by: Dubblebass.8519

Dubblebass.8519

You really think every dungon from AC to Arah is near impossible unless you are 80? Hmmm, not in my experience. We ran them with our guild with characters just of level and made it through. It was fun. It is more difficult, sure, but not near impossible.

Kieron Asbjorn – 80 Guardian | Saiuri – 80 Elementalist
Xylani – 80 Ranger | Osoroshii – 80 Warrior
GoM [LGG][COI]

Posted by: Jemmi.6058

Jemmi.6058

15 – 20 hours to get the gold

then 8-ish hours to craft up to 80 (that is what I read for how long it takes?) I assume this includes alt tabbing to the guide and buying mats.

Then you have to add how many hours it will take for you to run your character to any place worthwhile (i.e. to Fireheart Rise COF for more COF farming).

23-28 hours for crafting + 0 map completion and 0 WP’s.

Or you could just level a character normally in 40ish hours and have a lot of the waypoints in the map discovered through normal levelling. Oh and this is way more fun than grinding CoF and sitting in LA crafting.

Posted by: Xavori.3768

Xavori.3768

Pretty sure just running with the zerg in WvW is still faster. And, it’s far, far cheaper.

Oh, and while CoF p1 is pretty solid for gold, I can think of many ways that let you go beyond 4g/hour. I mean, I had to pay for three new character slots (roughly 20g each) during the sale which I didn’t spot till it was less than a day from over. I didn’t do this by running CoF p1

Hey I just met you – And this is crazy –
But here’s my body – So rez me maybe?

Posted by: Phaedryn.3698

Phaedryn.3698

It has always been faster to craft to 80. This is what I do when I want to try a new class. Ive even deleted an 80 since making a new one was easy. I can do 1-80 in right around 9 hours. The mats aren’t an issue, and gearing once I hit 80 (at least in exotics) isn’t an issue, just buy them. Can do the entire thing without leaving LA.

The hardest part for me is usually choosing a spec.

(edited by Phaedryn.3698)

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Funny I have 6 chars so far at 100% world and still 2 more to go that I plan doing, so you sir saying “no one does unless its their first character” are simply wrong.

It’s not all about cash/fast levels you know….

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Darkstar.6178

Darkstar.6178

Kinda drunk atm, not gonna read rest of thread but will reply to this……

The very same thing can be said for your reply.

The assumptions that every zone is not dead and that everyone can conceivably enjoy single player/ small scale multi player are wrong.

I’m not necessarily saying you are wrong, but you argument seems to be.

Yes, you must be drunk, since there is nothing in his post stating any of the assumptions you assert he made. Stating that assumptions that every zone is dead and no one can conceivably enjoy single player/ small scale multi player are wrong is not the same as saying the opposite is true.