Custom music in-game control commands

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: godofcows.2451

godofcows.2451

Hi. For years we know that your game has capability to use a custom playlist for music played. Is there a way maybe that you can add basic control over this through maybe a chat command. Maybe a simple skip, or a play order randomize, or no randomize, or even repeat. I’m sure the functions already exist in the client. Should be no biggie, right? tnx.

PS. Please announce something about the next balance patch release date pl0x. Cannot wait. Current iteration is still absolutely horrid.

Posted by: killermanjaro.5670

killermanjaro.5670

I was just looking into doing the custom music thing today and was wondering a few things about it, your post might have shed some light on them for me.

I was mainly wondering if there was a way to pick a random track from a list, as in if I put 3 tracks on a battle playlist then will it play a random one of the three each time I got into a battle? Or does it just line then up and play one after the other? Also will a track automatically repeat when it ends?

I also couldn’t find anything about if I can just add in tracks for say battle, but leave the rest as default, what I heard seemed to imply you have to do all custom or all default :/ I take it there is also no quick way to switch between default and custom music?

Hope you don’t mind me asking these here, but you seem to know about the custom music side, so maybe you could shed a bit more light on it for me.

Posted by: nottsgman.8206

nottsgman.8206

I was mainly wondering if there was a way to pick a random track from a list, as in if I put 3 tracks on a battle playlist then will it play a random one of the three each time I got into a battle? Or does it just line then up and play one after the other? Also will a track automatically repeat when it ends?

the first song on the playlist is always plays first (during a playthrough), then it randomises. so, if you changed the battle playlist, when you go into battle for the first time, the first song is played. every time after that, the songs will be random.
I’m not so sure about when a song ends, but I think that a new random song gets played after.

also couldn’t find anything about if I can just add in tracks for say battle, but leave the rest as default

you can very much change only one playlist and leave all others as default. for example, right now I only have a custom playlist for the main menu (because I like listening to the SAB login music), but none of the others. all music in game still works perfectly.

I take it there is also no quick way to switch between default and custom music?

nope, there isn’t.

70 ‘mains’ and waiting for more slots
| 61 Asura | 5 Charr | 2 Norn | 1 Human | 1 Sylvari |

killermanjaro.5670

the first song on the playlist is always plays first (during a playthrough), then it randomises. so, if you changed the battle playlist, when you go into battle for the first time, the first song is played. every time after that, the songs will be random.
I’m not so sure about when a song ends, but I think that a new random song gets played after.

also couldn’t find anything about if I can just add in tracks for say battle, but leave the rest as default

you can very much change only one playlist and leave all others as default. for example, right now I only have a custom playlist for the main menu (because I like listening to the SAB login music), but none of the others. all music in game still works perfectly.

I take it there is also no quick way to switch between default and custom music?

nope, there isn’t.

I see, thanks for the information there. I’ll start sorting some music to swap some out later (I actually do like the GW2 music, it’s just it’ll be nice to mix things up a bit). Sounds like some further in-game options to help with custom music would really be useful though.

Posted by: Loli Ruri.8307

Loli Ruri.8307

For the custom play list, what I did for the first track was to put a 1.5 second silent song there, to really make sure the list is random. Hope it helps if you wanna go that route.

Intel Core i7 4790K @4.7 GHz, 32 GB 2133 MHz DDR3.
MSI GTX 1080 Sea Hawk EK X 2xSLI 2025 / 11016 MHz, liquid cooling custom loop.
Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB. HTC Vive.

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

The custom playlist only works like once a week, so let’s fix that first, shall we?

killermanjaro.5670

For the custom play list, what I did for the first track was to put a 1.5 second silent song there, to really make sure the list is random. Hope it helps if you wanna go that route.

I see I’ll keep that in mind. It may seem a silly question, but how does adding a track like that ensure the list is random?

killermanjaro.5670

The custom playlist only works like once a week, so let’s fix that first, shall we?

Oh? Custom playlists don’t work reliably then? When you say it doesn’t always work does that mean the game ignores it and plays the default tracks, or just plays nothing so you have no music?

killermanjaro.5670

Hmm, I’m starting to see the problem. I just did an experiment which was to add one track and one playlist under ‘Ambient’ and it seems to have not worked properly.

Despite being set as ‘Ambient’ the custom track I added replaces the GW2 track on the title / character select screen. Then loading into DR (daytime) the default music kicked in, but only for about 20 secs then it went silent with no music (even by going to a WP in DR to try and force it to restart).

Heading out into Queensdale then trigged the custom track which was good, but going back into DR kept it playing instead of the default city music. Then I used a WP in DR which restarted the music, but again the custom ‘Ambient’ track, not the default one. This feels like it may be the start of a big headache :/

Posted by: Mylerian.9176

Mylerian.9176

I just to turn the game music down and listen to my music. The game music is good and all, but I really tire of it after a time.

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

Oh? Custom playlists don’t work reliably then? When you say it doesn’t always work does that mean the game ignores it and plays the default tracks, or just plays nothing so you have no music?

I mean when you visit the same spot twice, it sometimes loads the custom playlist correctly, and sometimes it plays the default music. Meaning it’s not a complete on or off. And some types don’t work at all (when I copy paste the correct titles from the GW2Wiki page)